Butch

Go to solution Solved by Still Diggin,

While reading the rarest records thread, the same phrase kept coming up: "two known copies, one in Butch's collection... etc."

So... how does he do it? Is it psychic encylopaedic knowledge in tandem with an oracle? Amazing voodoo hypnotism trading techniques? Extremely deep pockets? An exclusive arrangement with ebay where all listings are sent to him before reaching the general public?

I'm genuinely interested, because it seems everyone else is just left behind in a cloud of dust... I mean if he was 73 years old or Yoda, I could understand! :thumbsup:

Social source share

While reading the rarest records thread, the same phrase kept coming up: "two known copies, one in Butch's collection... etc."

So... how does he do it? Is it psychic encylopaedic knowledge in tandem with an oracle? Amazing voodoo hypnotism trading techniques? Extremely deep pockets? An exclusive arrangement with ebay where all listings are sent to him before reaching the general public?

I'm genuinely interested, because it seems everyone else is just left behind in a cloud of dust... I mean if he was 73 years old or Yoda, I could understand! :thumbsup:

Easy ; he signed a pact with the devil when he was 4 ......

Malc Burton

Social source share

Guest moggy

Errrmmmm good at obtaining one offs will you be when 900 years old you reach hehehehehhehehe

(In the voice of Frank Oz)

May the force be with you :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

The thing about rare records is that there are so many of them, and so many people have rare records, and many one offs, and two or three offs. But it's not that Butch is the only one with them, it's just that he is noticed to have alot of super rare items, for obvious reasons. He's a DJ and is out and about and people take notice of what he does and what he has. You don't hear "Have you heard about that lad in America who has this amazing one off northern monster", because why would anyone in the UK know about it?

It's the same situation as the country side and the people who bang on about how crowded our country is. Quite plainly it's not crowded and we have huge amounts of country side, but most people who comment about it are those who travel around by rail and road, and of course they only see built up areas because the train and road networks are surrounded by urban/industrial areas. If you are a god, like the all seeing omnipotent Butch you'll be able to sit on a cloud and look down on the bigger picture. Or like most mortals can do, just look at google earth and check out what colour the UK is from space, GREEN. It's not that mortals don't see built up areas everywhere they go, because most people only travel around in built up areas, but that doesn't mean the country has too much urban areas, just because most of the population only sees built up areas. There is alot of coutry side that is out there, much more than urban areas.

It's the same with the same old names being pulled up who own one of two known copies, Buch, Mick and Sam etc. The reason Butch's name is always pulled up is because people into rare soul hang around at the rare soul events that book Butch to DJ, so anythign Butch has and champions is likely to be rare because he's playign at a rare soul event. And as a result, any one off or one of two, one of three type record is liekly to be in Butch's hands.

If you catch my drift? Perceptions are different to reality. Lot's of people have super rare records, but the only ones people who only hang out at northern events hear about are those who DJ at the northern events they hang out at.

Also, if a dealer gets hold of a record that is unknown there are not many people around who pay money for unknowns on the northern scene, so the unknowns tend to drift into the same hands. And then they are made popular by those people, eg Butch. One offs that are not popular on the northern scene will not be known about by people on the northern scene, so how will they be known to be one offs, and how will they become known if they are not in the hands of one of the few DJs who is prepared to play and pay for unknowns?

It's not rocket science, just use google earth or ask a god :thumbsup:

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

Butch is always on the look out for something new and does know of foriegn chaps with great sounds , his net is spread wide !! .. He's probably the only real newies jock on the NS scene now. I dont see Mick H as a newies jock at all , or even Soul Sam these days ..

Edited by Simon M
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

Guest Michael Higgins

Jeez! How can anyone argue with that? :thumbsup:

I suppose one difference is that the majority of really rare records are rare for the very good reason that they aren't much good. I know there are lots of exceptions, but the Mello Souls is so much of an exception that it is downright eerie.. If souls were to be exchanged at a crossroads, discovering that that one would swing any deal. :thumbup:

The thing about rare records is that there are so many of them, and so many people have rare records, and many one offs, and two or three offs. But it's not that Butch is the only one with them, it's just that he is noticed to have alot of super rare items, for obvious reasons. He's a DJ and is out and about and people take notice of what he does and what he has. You don't hear "Have you heard about that lad in America who has this amazing one off northern monster", because why would anyone in the UK know about it?

It's the same situation as the country side and the people who bang on about how crowded our country is. Quite plainly it's not crowded and we have huge amounts of country side, but most people who comment about it are those who travel around by rail and road, and of course they only see built up areas because the train and road networks are surrounded by urban/industrial areas. If you are a god, like the all seeing omnipotent Butch you'll be able to sit on a cloud and look down on the bigger picture. Or like most mortals can do, just look at google earth and check out what colour the UK is from space, GREEN. It's not that mortals don't see built up areas everywhere they go, because most people only travel around in built up areas, but that doesn't mean the country has too much urban areas, just because most of the population only sees built up areas. There is alot of coutry side that is out there, much more than urban areas.

It's the same with the same old names being pulled up who own one of two known copies, Buch, Mick and Sam etc. The reason Butch's name is always pulled up is because people into rare soul hang around at the rare soul events that book Butch to DJ, so anythign Butch has and champions is likely to be rare because he's playign at a rare soul event. And as a result, any one off or one of two, one of three type record is liekly to be in Butch's hands.

If you catch my drift? Perceptions are different to reality. Lot's of people have super rare records, but the only ones people who only hang out at northern events hear about are those who DJ at the northern events they hang out at.

Also, if a dealer gets hold of a record that is unknown there are not many people around who pay money for unknowns on the northern scene, so the unknowns tend to drift into the same hands. And then they are made popular by those people, eg Butch. One offs that are not popular on the northern scene will not be known about by people on the northern scene, so how will they be known to be one offs, and how will they become known if they are not in the hands of one of the few DJs who is prepared to play and pay for unknowns?

It's not rocket science, just use google earth or ask a god :thumbsup:

Social source share

I bet he has enough cover ups sat on the shelves unplayed that mean he could stop collecting now and still be the No1 DJ for years and years.

Buying tips would be use loads of ebay names, buy anything thats round and has a big hole in it and build up a huge network of contacts.

easy :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I wonder if he actually enjoys this god like status he now has. My guess is he would be just has happy buying his soul records and keeping out the spotlight.

Social source share

The thing about rare records is that there are so many of them, and so many people have rare records, and many one offs, and two or three offs. But it's not that Butch is the only one with them, it's just that he is noticed to have alot of super rare items, for obvious reasons. He's a DJ and is out and about

I think you are being a bit harsh here on 2 counts, many of these rare records Butch has had long before they were either "rare" or in-demand, and I think often people get these 2 descriptions confused. Thats a taste thing, its only really becoming apparent now how Butch not only has probably the best taste around (after me and TFK obviously) but his taste was way ahead of the game, and so many people are playing catch up now.

Secondly Butch has being doing this for far more years more than people give him credit for, I was in States in early 80's as a young know nothing whippersnapper and nearly every place I went to had been raped by Mr Dobson and Mr Ashibende including one place that had 25/50/100 count boxes of various records now deemed as rare, only things I can remember are Doug Banks on Guyden and O'Jays on Imperial but there were loads, I should say that the boxes were there but most were empty or had the odd copy left.

Given that scale and length of digging then Butch is bound to have most records that people turn up, I think its easy however to gloss over how much work he has put in here to get where he is however.

The reason Butch's name is always pulled up is because people into rare soul hang around at the rare soul events that book Butch to DJ, so anythign Butch has and champions is likely to be rare because he's playign at a rare soul event. And as a result, any one off or one of two, one of three type record is liekly to be in Butch's hands.

Again I think you are being harsh here, often the records are only being talked about is because Butch is playing it, not the other way round, again this is a taste thing. Butch has the ear for this, far greater than any other person on the scene. he is by far a leader and not a follower, which sad to say is almost unique now.

I agree with you here, and that is where I think Butch takes most credit these days, if I had a 10th of his collection (100th even?) I dont think I would ever buy another record, just live off the land. However I think this is where Butch shows he is top of the game, if he doesnt have it and its good enough he still wants it and he wants to expose it, seems to be no ego around it other than he wants to have the best records available, and his taste on this is normally again beyond question.

This to me not only makes him no 1. now but probably by far no.1 rare soul dj of any time, and unlikely to be beaten.

Hmms sounds a bit sooky above but hey it might give me discount from him this weekend........... maybe not time to get real!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Social source share

The simple point is that he was around to buy all the stuff "cheap" when no one really cared and took care of things that were around but not collected by anyone as they were not indemand. By doing so, be it in Japan in the days when nearly no one else had contacts there, or at John Anderson house, he was able to build up one of the very best collections ever which of course helped him to become what he now is, the worlds number one. As he is not a follower of the "hot box theory" and has loads of stuff piled away it is very likely that the next big thing is in his collection already if he himslf is not even the person to have made it the "next big thing" anyhow.

Add to that one aspect JT already had lighten up, the fact that he is one of the very FEW people who are willing and dare (!) to buy and test something new of course all dealers in the uS and UK know who to ask..

And finally, if there`s a 45 he wants and hasn`t got there is now way you are going to outbid him for example on ebay or whereever...as he doesn`t take no mess... :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

I might be wrong but i thought he had a job working for a record company? Like Jo Wallace and Ady Croasdell, Tony Rounce and others i expect they have access to artists, producers, master tapes and plates, acetates etc... that the rest of us do not. I'm not saying it's any easier to track down these sounds, but if it's part of your job then that's a start. Doesn't Keb Darge work do or did something similar?

Not much chance of me stumbling across a one off acetate in the stationary cupboard at school... :thumbsup:

Social source share

I agree with you here, and that is where I think Butch takes most credit these days, if I had a 10th of his collection (100th even?) I dont think I would ever buy another record, just live off the land. However I think this is where Butch shows he is top of the game, if he doesnt have it and its good enough he still wants it and he wants to expose it, seems to be no ego around it other than he wants to have the best records available, and his taste on this is normally again beyond question.

Have to say Jocko I doubt many would fall in line with your view on this point. If you collect records the buzz is all about the next purchase, you never tire of wanting something new, something different, or is that just me? unless you're a top 500 buyer only of course :thumbsup: (That's a collective you not aimed direct at Jocko :thumbsup: )

Social source share

ok so how many collecters have one offs or no other known copies of records in there boxes that are good? i reckon lots, but they do not dj in an atmosphere of hero worship [not the djs fault] or exist in a "madcap prices paid " small close knit circle of people who only buy and sell within that . small circle whose every find is deemed "awesome" nor do they have dealers ringing them up with "a reckon this is going to be biggie so give me a grand"conversations. that grand becomes 3 very quickly, then a couple more "turn up". thats why i never pay more than £150 for a record,its more fun finding your own rareties , even if no one else likes them!!! i do not put down anyone who is doing this or finding and playing these sounds out, its just not my thing. PADDLE YOUR OWN CANOE!!!!

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

I think you are being a bit harsh here on 2 counts, many of these rare records Butch has had long before they were either "rare" or in-demand, and I think often people get these 2 descriptions confused. Thats a taste thing, its only really becoming apparent now how Butch not only has probably the best taste around (after me and TFK obviously) but his taste was way ahead of the game, and so many people are playing catch up now.

Well of course. But not sure how my comments are harsh? He has records that most/all other people on the northern scene don't have. I said that though didn't I?

Secondly Butch has being doing this for far more years more than people give him credit for, I was in States in early 80's as a young know nothing whippersnapper and nearly every place I went to had been raped by Mr Dobson and Mr Ashibende including one place that had 25/50/100 count boxes of various records now deemed as rare, only things I can remember are Doug Banks on Guyden and O'Jays on Imperial but there were loads, I should say that the boxes were there but most were empty or had the odd copy left.

Yeah, sure. But I don't think I disagree with you though, so not sure I'm being harsh on that count either? I love London, and don't think I'd like to ever live far from there, but that doesn't mean there isn't a load of country side out there or other towns that are worth visiting?

Given that scale and length of digging then Butch is bound to have most records that people turn up, I think its easy however to gloss over how much work he has put in here to get where he is however.

Not sure anyone is, are they?

Again I think you are being harsh here, often the records are only being talked about is because Butch is playing it, not the other way round, again this is a taste thing. Butch has the ear for this, far greater than any other person on the scene. he is by far a leader and not a follower, which sad to say is almost unique now.

Exactly, that's what I'm saying isn't it? He's doing it, and not many others are, on the northern scene? But for example there are four or five others doing it at Soul Revolution alone, but maybe they are playing in other rooms and do not get the spot light on them like Butch by the northern heads who post on here? For obvious reasons of course. Ian Wright, Ben Downing, Adam Leaver for example, all playing extreme rarities not owned by anyone else, the quality is off the scale. But why would the tunes they play be talked about on a northern soul forum, or at northern soul clubs?

Hmms sounds a bit sooky above but hey it might give me discount from him this weekend........... maybe not time to get real!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Well, there is always the fact he has better taste than all the other DJs on the soul scene IMO, so I agree with you there, apart from yourself, TFK and myself of course. But that doesn't effect the reason why he is the one who is always mentioned and his records talked about. His taste is what has put him in that position to be playing his one offs, two offs, three offs etc, and he was one of the first to be doing it and he has the stamina and focus (some might argue insanity) to still be doing it. But there are still others out there doing it as well, which is what the original poster is getting at I think? They just don't operate within the the very underground circles of a special corner of the northern soul scene, and their taste is not as tuned into what people want on the northern scene so why should they get noticed by elements of the northern scene. But then again, Butch operates within other circles as well. Disco, funk, deepsoul, of course and has pretty good taste in those areas as well, which you can't say for too many other northern jocks?

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

Guest James Trouble

As he is not a follower of the "hot box theory" and has loads of stuff piled away it is very likely that the next big thing is in his collection already if he himslf is not even the person to have made it the "next big thing" anyhow.

Add to that one aspect JT already had lighten up, the fact that he is one of the very FEW people who are willing and dare (!) to buy and test something new of course all dealers in the uS and UK know who to ask..

And finally, if there`s a 45 he wants and hasn`t got there is now way you are going to outbid him for example on ebay or whereever...as he doesn`t take no mess... :thumbsup:

I'm not sure I agree with the first part mark. He's a bigger "hot boxer" than almost anyone else, apart form maybe Soul Sam. His set often only changes maybe one or two records at the most from one set to another. Where he pulls them out from is irrelevent, surely? And for obvious reasons. It's bloody hard to break records on the northern scene, a nightmare even! And it's even harder to find new sounds that noone else has played or is playing.

Second part, totally. The Two Plus Two for example. I can't imagine too many others daring to play it, let along pay what he paid on ebay for it when it first turned up.

So basically he's pretty unique to the northern scene, in terms of taste, balls, resources, he was there at the start and he has the staying power to keep at it. But that doesn't mean that others are not doing somthing similar away from that special corner of the northern scene.

Social source share

I'm not sure I agree with the first part mark. He's a bigger "hot boxer" than almost anyone else, apart form maybe Soul Sam.

Maybe I got the term "hot boxer" wrong then...but to me a typical "hot boxer" (nice term..) is somebody who has a very limited collection or even none collection at all at home except for his play/dj box (in order to always have the cash to buy new stuff for his/her "hot box"). Butch of course with his 40.000 Soul 45`s in his home is far away from being a hot boxer as he ain`t selling anything that he hasn`t got two copies of. I am dead sure that if he would have been a hot box DJ (and for that reason would have never kept on to anythingt except his at that date current plays) he would never have become that a great DJ that he is :thumbsup:

Social source share

It does seem Butch's sets change more when he's abroad .. well thats what he told me Ive not witnessed it :thumbsup:

Mixing up of genre's seems ok away from the Uk ..and thats why I'd like to see Ian Wright in the Northern rooms at events like Soul Rev .. but of course hes too scared :thumbsup:

Edited by Simon M
Social source share

Second part, totally. The Two Plus Two for example. I can't imagine too many others daring to play it, let along pay what he paid on ebay for it when it first turned up.

One other person is Arthur Fenn...he played it to an empty dancefloor when I was deejaiying that night with him at Soulshakers..only one person was dancing....me.

Marc

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Maybe I got the term "hot boxer" wrong then...but to me a typical "hot boxer" (nice term..) is somebody who has a very limited collection or even none collection at all at home except for his play/dj box (in order to always have the cash to buy new stuff for his/her "hot box"). Butch of course with his 40.000 Soul 45`s in his home is far away from being a hot boxer as he ain`t selling anything that he hasn`t got two copies of. I am dead sure that if he would have been a hot box DJ (and for that reason would have never kept on to anythingt except his at that date current plays) he would never have become that a great DJ that he is :thumbsup:

You're probably right, but the point is that surely it doesn't matter where the set is sourced from? People talk about DJs records because they play them, not because they have 40000 records at home? What a dJ has at home is irrelevent to the sorts of people who talk about records played at northern soul events, which is why they are talked about, because DJs play them, not keep them at home. Having 40000 records at home doesn't make a dJ great, playing amazing records that no one else has and staying in that position for years is what makes a DJ great on the northern scene IMO. Not a huge collection, which is surely just circumstantial?

Social source share

Butch is an old friend of mine, he is one of the good ones, haven't seen him in ages though, his taste in music is unreal, not only rare northern stuff but other soulful outings as well

Can someone PM me with his contact details as need to speak to him - lost details when moved house

Social source share

You're probably right, but the point is that surely it doesn't matter where the set is sourced from? People talk about DJs records because they play them, not because they have 40000 records at home? What a dJ has at home is irrelevent to the sorts of people who talk about records played at northern soul events, which is why they are talked about, because DJs play them, not keep them at home. Having 40000 records at home doesn't make a dJ great, playing amazing records that no one else has and staying in that position for years is what makes a DJ great on the northern scene IMO. Not a huge collection, which is surely just circumstantial?

But surely James having thousands of records to call upon on the shelf's is a big part of why Butch is number one in Northern soul .. The one in one out approach is actually quite difficult and fraught with danger. dont ya think? :thumbsup:

Social source share

Of course it doesn`t matter where 45s are spourced from (as long as it stays legal of course :thumbsup: ) but a big collection such as his surely helps you to have "one or two items" already at home that have or will become "hot" items. Even if you only use them to sell them at their peak to buy sth else (which Butch of course is not doing).

So, a collection helps and I am sure it is no wonder that people with such amazing taste and plays such as Tim, Andy Dyson and Butch have such big collections. If you look closely who just follows the current taste dj-wise and who instead always belongs to the group of trend-setters who "invent" new plays you will soon find out it is most of the time the before mentioned people.

Of course you can also go to the dealer of your trust and pay a high sum for an unknown title when you haven`t got the backbone of such a collection. Nth wrong with that and (nearly) the same "respect" is due if the new tune is cool :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Of course you can also go to the dealer of your trust and pay a high sum for an unknown title when you haven`t got the backbone of such a collection. Nth wrong with that and (nearly) the same "respect" is due if the new tune is cool :thumbsup:

The only dealer I trust is Mr Ebay and his mate popsike.

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Have to disagree James, have spoken to Butch about this before, many things he now plays he has had for many years, just didn't think they were right before. I recently started playing a studio disc I have had for 20 years. If you do have a large collection, you can never fully remember every tune, so from time to time you pull something out and it suddenly sound completely different to how you remember it.

Trust your well young man :thumbsup:

At the end of the day Butch has better taste, more knowledge, more focused on getting hold of rare and unknown records and has been doing it longer than most or all others and he is out there DJing so that's how he does it, and that's why his tunes are often talked about.

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

PS, ear also has alot to do with it. some people are better than others at picking the right tune for the right moment, doesn't mater how many records they own or where they get them from. On the flip side, this scene has always been about hero worship of dj's and those that are the current flavour of the month can play nearly anything and the adoring fans will say it's great. In retrospect, not everything Richard at his height played was good, nor Guy, Keb or even myself, but at the time your hot and a crowd loves it all.

Social source share

I might be wrong but i thought he had a job working for a record company? Like Jo Wallace and Ady Croasdell, Tony Rounce and others i expect they have access to artists, producers, master tapes and plates, acetates etc... that the rest of us do not. I'm not saying it's any easier to track down these sounds, but if it's part of your job then that's a start. Doesn't Keb Darge work do or did something similar?

Not much chance of me stumbling across a one off acetate in the stationary cupboard at school... :thumbsup:

Unless he has kept it secret, he has not had such a job I think. No fancy jobs or anything like that. According to himself it has been a matter of being at it a very long time and about picking up things most people did not care about at the time. He once told me how he gradually went from being at the bottom of the list to receive things from John Andersson and eventually ended up at the top as Searling and the others drifted away from it all. He kept at it and had first pick at John's house for years according to himself. He has loads of good stuff that he rarely plays out, at least not in the UK. He has the original acetates of some unissued Motown northern monsters for instance, and he does not play them out in the UK nowadays it seems. It is a bit frustrating when you know that he, and some others, have cracking tunes you would like to hear out but they never seem play them! Another DJ with an amazing collection is Kitch, but he seems to be more of the discrete collector type and is not talked about all the time. There are more guys like this around in the UK, guys with amazing collections and tunes, including good unknowns, one offs, acetates and cover ups, but they are themselves sometimes almost as osbcure as some of their records. biggrin.gif Many times when these guys have been djing in the UK I was one of very few persons, sometimes literally the only person, who seemed to care, listen and pay attention. I wonder why. :unsure:

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

There are more guys like this around in the UK, guys with amazing collections and tunes, including good unknowns, one offs, acetates and cover ups, but they are themselves sometimes almost as osbcure as some of their records. biggrin.gif Many times when these guys have been djing in the UK I was one of very few persons, sometimes literally the only person, who seemed to care, listen and pay attention. I wonder why. :unsure:

That's my point with all the nonsense about urban areas and over crowding, or lack of it. :thumbsup: Sometimes what the northern scene sees is different to what others see around the world.

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

There are more guys like this around in the UK, guys with amazing collections and tunes, including good unknowns, one offs, acetates and cover ups, but they are themselves sometimes almost as osbcure as some of their records. :thumbsup:

Agree with this 100%.

I know at least half a dozen guys, with collections to die for (including unknowns, one-offs, acetates etc), who hardly ever venture out these days... either as a punter or DJ.

These are the guys who are more interested in collecting good records than getting out and playing them on a regular basis.

I suspect that the real reason Butch is successful is because he's sustained his activities (both as a collector and as a DJ).

He's still 'at it' after quite a few years... while others have put their 'play boxes' if not their collections out to pasture.

Having a large collection may not be a prerequisite... but it certainly helps if you are able to draw upon a backlog of tasty items.

In addition... (as Dave Thorley inferred) when you're hot... you're hot... and when you're not, you're not!... and when you are hot it's amazing how much hot stuff comes your way.

Good luck to him.

As a DJ, everybody earns their place and the respect & appreciation that tends to come with it over the long term.

Sean Hampsey

Social source share

Dont tell me you were Hot Sean ..lol I used to press record when your spot was coming to an end :thumbsup:

Yes I know Simon. yes.gif

But Neil Page used to do the opposite... so I know I had at least one fan.

He sent me a tape last week from 1983. A revelation.

I'd forgotten how good I used to be!

:unsure:

Social source share

LOL .. Hey didnt people talk a lot in 1982/83 esp' that Soul Sam chap .. :thumbsup: "Cant be bad"

Social source share

As a footnote to the above (and probably outside of a hardcore 'Northern' perspective) I much prefer to hear DJ's playing a varied set - across a variety of genres and eras - to an hour or so consisting primarily of 'rarities' 'one-offs' 'exclusives' etc.

Not suggesting that's what you'd get from someone the calibre of Butch (who as I understand it has a genuine appreciation of Real Deal Soul Music... Deep Soul etc.) but I understand that there are some who adopt that approach whilst there are many 'active' DJ's who I feel are particularly entertaining because of the diversity in their playlist.

Steve Plumb, Tats Taylor, Gavin Page, Bob Cosby, Flanny, Kev Briscoe, John Benson, Cliff Steele, Gareth Donovon, Mike Charlton, Steve Guarnori, Brian Goucher, Mark Houghton and, and, and..... many more..... all spring immediately to mind because they know how to mix a set and where quality (rather than rarity) is the only yardstick.

And let's face it, of those currently in retirement... few could compete with the diversity and pure quality of a Rod Dearlove set, whether he was dropping an exclusive, an unplayed album cut or a current CD track into the procedings.

I'm sure that in Butch's case... taste shows through... and the cream always rises to the top!

But as Gavin often says... "DJ's Should Just Play Good Records".

Otherwise some people might tape your set... and play it back to you 25 years later!

:thumbsup:

Sean Hampsey

Edited by Sean Hampsey
Social source share

So that is what Neil was ..... :thumbsup:

You were always good , Sean : Payney told me so .....

Malc Burton

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Agree with this 100%.

I know at least half a dozen guys, with collections to die for (including unknowns, one-offs, acetates etc), who hardly ever venture out these days... either as a punter or DJ.

These are the guys who are more interested in collecting good records than getting out and playing them on a regular basis.

I suspect that the real reason Butch is successful is because he's sustained his activities (both as a collector and as a DJ).

He's still 'at it' after quite a few years... while others have put their 'play boxes' if not their collections out to pasture.

Having a large collection may not be a prerequisite... but it certainly helps if you are able to draw upon a backlog of tasty items.

In addition... (as Dave Thorley inferred) when you're hot... you're hot... and when you're not, you're not!... and when you are hot it's amazing how much hot stuff comes your way.

Good luck to him.

As a DJ, everybody earns their place and the respect & appreciation that tends to come with it over the long term.

Sean Hampsey

I was talking to a mutual friend of Gary rushbrooke a few months back at a Cheltenham soul night. He told me Gary kept loads of stuff when he quit DJing. Some of it according to our source :thumbsup: would blow people away if he played it now. Again rare stuff that possibly only he has.

Wouldnt it be great to have a room one afternoon at a weekender, where people just brought along stuff that they think nobody else may have, and everyone could just sit around and listen, or dance obviously. And if you havent the will to play it yourself, then get someone who will.

Social source share

Guest wrighty

My guess is he would be just as happy buying his soul records and keeping out the spotlight.

this is it for me, in a nutshell....to build up a collection like butch you would have needed a love and inquisition for finding new 'undiscovered' music for YOURSELF first and foremost, without the constraints of worrying about who plays what, trying to find the lastest 'hotboxers' or following the crowd...i guess these days above all else that means hours of trawling thru ebay every day, the other day i saw a really interesting piece on there, rang up to listen to it, put in what i thought was a pretty decent (few hundred $$) snipe for something that wasnt listed or mentioned anywhere on the web, came back downstairs to see what i'd won it for and...lo and behold i'd been outbid...by butch of course :) ...the guy never misses a trick, but thats the point - you can never have enough good records, or want to stop looking for new records, its certainly what drives me on, i wouldnt want to dj if i stopped finding new stuff to play...in other words its not about impressing other people when dj'ing but more about the enjoyment of hearing something played out - anyone can splash out hundreds or thousands to a dealer for a 'new' discovery but surely its about finding the new 'unknowns' cheap yourself before anyone else....then it just comes down to taste of course, which butch obviously has :thumbsup:

Social source share

access at the right time helps.... to the right people..... and places....also buying simply what YOU like as ian says before....(also a man with good taste!)....."you got to look ahead".

i have a sales tape from mark 81/82 a lot of good things on it...all under 20.00

Social source share

Butch is an old friend of mine, he is one of the good ones, haven't seen him in ages though, his taste in music is unreal, not only rare northern stuff but other soulful outings as well

Can someone PM me with his contact details as need to speak to him - lost details when moved house

Kev,

Not them little bits of paper,lost again :)

Kev :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Rare soul records have similarities to fine wine, you got to know your stuff and not to be afraid to try something different maybe and have great taste of course

And you dont learn that overnight it takes a life time of dedication and desire and you never stop learning

When i was selling cars people came to me when they wanted a newer car or if they wanted to sell a car they also came to me as they knew i bought cars, i sold them on to earn a living but if i could afford it i would some collect cars, if you know what i mean :thumbsup:

Social source share

Have to say Jocko I doubt many would fall in line with your view on this point. If you collect records the buzz is all about the next purchase, you never tire of wanting something new, something different, or is that just me? unless you're a top 500 buyer only of course :) (That's a collective you not aimed direct at Jocko :thumbsup: )

Thats nothing to do with the scenario we are talking about, thats a very different point to what I was saying about Butch, I am talking about a DJ at top of his game still scrapping for every record possible to play out despite him having more unknown classics (if you know what I mean) waiting to be heard.

Thats very different from the average collector scenario (and unfortunately the top 500 scenario is so common it means there are many average collectors :wicked: ) you are talking about, personally I will show you the 100 or so records that have arrived on my doorstep in the last 3 months and most are lucky to scrape into the top 50000, except in my head where they are the top sounds ever, till the next 100, totally understand that, unlike my other half!

• Up vote 1
Social source share

I think you are missing the point on this though James, absolutely right any DJ should only be talked about because of his latest 23 records, however what people are saying the collection gathered with good taste sets Butch years ahead of the game, would suggest Andy Dyson is the only one close in DJing stakes (DJing not collecting, as think these are starting to get confused in some arguments) and again thats because of his taste and breadth of collection. However I am not saying by any means anyone with a great collection is automatically a great DJ (shut up at the back, I know I am setting myself up for a good slagging here :thumbsup: )

• Up vote 1
Social source share

except in my head where they are the top sounds ever, till the next 100,

Isn't that what collectings all about ? As the tee shirt said. "So Much Soul, So Little Time" The best record is the next one you didn't know, that you love.

Social source share

As a footnote to the above (and probably outside of a hardcore 'Northern' perspective) I much prefer to hear DJ's playing a varied set - across a variety of genres and eras - to an hour or so consisting primarily of 'rarities' 'one-offs' 'exclusives' etc.

Totally agree Sean, my favorite all time DJ is a house DJ from London, probably a devil to many on here, but the original question was about rare soul DJ's reputation and as such I think is really about the nighter scene, which I think is a totally different beast from a soul night DJ.

Hence why not sure also James re your debate on other scenes, if its general DJ;s with one offs sure there are a number of radio one DJ's that would fit that description :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest mrs norman maine

How he bites his lip is beyond me, considering he was logged on at lunchtime. :thumbsup:

:)

If his user name isn't Ulrich Muhe, then it should be.....

post-2765-1181166655.jpg

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!