Soul Night Disgrace

Mick , I agree with your last two post,if your not treading on any bodys toes then play em re- issues, boots are a no no but re-issues why not....but then again Im a much lower form of life biggrin.gif just a punter who loves the music

Bazza

it's the punter who calls the shots.

and, as you know bazza, when i'm not dee-jaying i'm a punter (which is most of the time) :boxing:

Social source share

• Replies 749
  • Views 47.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

I only really enjoy / get exited about collecting original records myself. Just a personal thing.

I just could not get exited with the postman if he was delivering a bootleg of somthing!

And it just doesn't feel right for me (on the odd occasion when I do play out) to play bootlegs!

But that said..............Its not the end of the world if someone else plays them?

(I just wouldn't, thats all)

DIPLOMATIC OR WHAT :boxing:

Social source share

Guest Trevski

nice one jb girl power eh :boxing: n i will be f***ed if im gonna run up to the dj to check what he or shes playing who cares as long as the tune ok

In that case, I and everyone else might as well sell all their OV and buy a box of boots.

In that way I will probably get more Dj spots cos I can ram the floor full with top 500 tunes, cos no-one apparently gives a f**k about format as long as it's a good tune, buy a decent holiday, a wardrobe full of Saville Row suits and a Range Rover sport with the change, and have no self-respect whatsoever. Of course JM Pat B Tim B and even our own Pete S will all lose their livelihood because no-one will want their £500/£1000 OV cos they can have a £10 boot instead, and because everyone is just buying boots and doing things the easy way, no-one will bother to discover any new tunes as they are on OV, and so the boots will dry up 'cos there's nothing new to boot and we will all put on baggies and circle skirts and flock to Stoke to dance like dervishes to the top 500 tunes and all will live hapily ever after!       

Edited by Trevski
Social source share

In that case, I and everyone else might as well sell all their OV and buy a box of boots.

In that way I will probably get more Dj spots cos I can ram the floor full with top 500 tunes, cos no-one apparently gives a f**k about format as long as it's a good tune, buy a decent holiday and a Range Rover sport with the change, and have no self-respect whatsoever. Of course JM Pat B Tim B and even our own Pete S will all lose their livelihood because no-one will want their £500/£1000 OV cos they can have a £10 boot instead, and because everyone is just buying boots and doing things the easy way, no-one will bother to discover any new tunes as they are on OV, and so the boots will dry up 'cos there's nothing new to boot and we will all put on baggies and circle skirts and flock to Stoke to dance like dervishes to the top 500 tunes and all will live hapily ever after!

Touched on this earlier in the thread - discoveries drying up,

just a minor detail Trev, if everybody decides to sell up and buy boots who will buy your OV?

Social source share

Im not losing the plot but MY scene Is losing its identity , RARE SOUL for F***s sake not someone whos just spent a few quid on Rob Smiths stall .

What would the likes of Gilly and Blondie make of todays scene ?

THERE ARE TOO MANY CHANCERS AT THE DECKS , TOO MANY CHANCERS DOING SOUL NIGHTS TO TRY AND BE DJS .

Eventually it will kill the scene , call me what you want but it will , when these people realise that when they cant get any bookings other than at there own or there mates Do's theyll leave the scene .

I think the point is they aint around no more,love em`both.........but!!if they was there might be a point to your post.let them who are still around call the shots aresoles to the rest.

Social source share

Guest Trevski

instead of northern room n modern room we could av originals room n boot room sorted

:boxing:

stevie g

I have a boot room already. It's where the butler sends the boot-boy to polish my shoes! laugh.gif (Actually anyone who plays a boxfull of boots ain't even fit to do that, IMHO  :D )

Edited by Trevski
Social source share

Im not losing the plot but MY scene Is losing its identity , RARE SOUL for F***s sake not someone whos just spent a few quid on Rob Smiths stall .

What would the likes of Gilly and Blondie make of todays scene ?

THERE ARE TOO MANY CHANCERS AT THE DECKS , TOO MANY CHANCERS DOING SOUL NIGHTS TO TRY AND BE DJS .

Eventually it will kill the scene , call me what you want but it will , when these people realise that when they cant get any bookings other than at there own or there mates Do's theyll leave the scene .

SPOT ON WELL SAID :boxing:

Social source share

I have a boot room already. It's were the butler sends the boot-boy to polish my shoes! :boxing: (Actually anyone who plays a boxfull of boots ain't even fit to do that, IMHO laugh.gif )
:D:lol::lol::lol:
Social source share

Or no help or thanks with lugging around setting up at the start of the night / packing up heavy equipment at the end of the night for the last few years with very little help and no financial gain whatsoever , the same as all the hard work with bringing the artists over and all the background work again for no finacial gain but just for the love of it. I have seen it from both sides. Is it worth it all. Well yes and allways will be. You can be used and abused and it can get on top of you at times.

I and someone else close to me are fully aware of the situation and it grieves us both that someone who is not fully committed turns up maybe on a regular basis getting guest and resident spots spinning bootlegs who does not put a fraction of the hard work what we do.

It would be so easy to walk away but that is the soft option.

I live the life I love and I love the life I live. :boxing:

Social source share

i for one will not play a pressing or even a re-issues if i know that any of the dee-jays on the same night as me has an original.

but if i know they haven't then if it's appropriate then i'll play it.

that seems a fair etiquette to me.

anyone else?

That's a hell of a memory you've got there Mick, I can't even remember what's in my own box most of the time let alone what's in anyone else's.

Social source share

There are fans who appreciate / Underplayed / New discoveries / Obscurities / and the DJs who are Innovative.....Imaginative, authentic and Intresting.

There are fans who prefer tunes that they are familiar with and they will only get up and dance to tunes they know and are comfortable with!

Are you a DJ that has his/her own taste? Are you that passionate and confident about your own taste /tunes that you will play your own favorite (Original) records to a crowd..........

Or will you take 50 bootlegs of the biggest / most popular Soul tunes in history .... and play them?

Who would you honestly have respect for? What set would you enjoy the most?

It all makes for an intresting life!

And then there are the open minded fans who like a bit of everything! And dont care what format its on (usually students)

Complicated init?

Edited by mossy
Social source share

----------

and no mention of ian levine anywhere...must be a record!!

Hey now that you mention it Mark

Ian Levine is making a total one off appearance in The Connaught Hotel Ballroom on Friday 2nd May.

Not to be missed!! And he is going to be spinning classic soul 45's so please dont miss this!!

Social source share

In that way I will probably get more Dj spots cos I can ram the floor full with top 500 tunes, cos no-one apparently gives a f**k about format as long as it's a good tune, buy a decent holiday, a wardrobe full of Saville Row suits and a Range Rover sport with the change, and have no self-respect whatsoever. Of course JM Pat B Tim B and even our own Pete S will all lose their livelihood because no-one will want their £500/£1000 OV cos they can have a £10 boot instead, and because everyone is just buying boots and doing things the easy way, no-one will bother to discover any new tunes as they are on OV, and so the boots will dry up 'cos there's nothing new to boot and we will all put on baggies and circle skirts and flock to Stoke to dance like dervishes to the top 500 tunes and all will live hapily ever after!

It dosen't have to be like that though Trev, as i said in my earlier post, i think there can be a happy medium & both can co-exist !

The rest is not directed at you :boxing:

You have to remember that the world & our lives have changed ! Only a few die hards can now afford & or want to travel the length & breadth of the country hanging on the coat tails of big name Dj's who have the few originals floating around, & no one is stopping them !

But by the same token, people who just want to go out occasionaly & listen to the best examples of the music that they like should be allowed to without all the name calling & vitrol directed at them.

I think the argument is getting a bit twisted as i think no one condones boots of records that will stop the artist getting their payment ! But i think we have come to accept that in the majority of cases this just aint now going to happen !

So if you take CD's into the argument is there not much more chance of the artist or their family getting some dues from the promotion of this format over original vinyl ??

Think i have the answer wink.gif If the welfare of the artist is the main reason behind the OVO argument how about we start a fund ? Everyone evaluates their collection & pays in 15 percent of the current value of each record & it gets spread amongst the artists or their families ?

Many takers ?? :D

My point ? I think that the majority of those voicing strong opinions for OVO have more or less the same motivations as those favouring non OVO !

Whereas non OVO are looking after No1 i.e. want to have our cake & eat it, do it on a budget & still have a family life.

Then i think the OVO types are also just looking after No1 in protecting what they have already invested & thier little niche in the lifestyle that they have adopted.

So summing up again ? I personaly believe both sides of the argument have a place ! Just go where you want & live & let live ! & let's just get on with talking about the actual music ?

All imho of course :lol:

Social source share

It dosen't have to be like that though Trev, as i said in my earlier post, i think there can be a happy medium & both can co-exist !

The rest is not directed at you :boxing:

You have to remember that the world & our lives have changed ! Only a few die hards can now afford & or want to travel the length & breadth of the country hanging on the coat tails of big name Dj's who have the few originals floating around, & no one is stopping them !

But by the same token, people who just want to go out occasionaly & listen to the best examples of the music that they like should be allowed to without all the name calling & vitrol directed at them.

I think the argument is getting a bit twisted as i think no one condones boots of records that will stop the artist getting their payment ! But i think we have come to accept that in the majority of cases this just aint now going to happen !

So if you take CD's into the argument is there not much more chance of the artist or their family getting some dues from the promotion of this format over original vinyl ??

Think i have the answer :D If the welfare of the artist is the main reason behind the OVO argument how about we start a fund ? Everyone evaluates their collection & pays in 15 percent of the current value of each record & it gets spread amongst the artists or their families ?

Many takers ?? :lol:

My point ? I think that the majority of those voicing strong opinions for OVO have more or less the same motivations as those favouring non OVO !

Whereas non OVO are looking after No1 i.e. want to have our cake & eat it, do it on a budget & still have a family life.

Then i think the OVO types are also just looking after No1 in protecting what they have already invested & thier little niche in the lifestyle that they have adopted.

So summing up again ? I personaly believe both sides of the argument have a place ! Just go where you want & live & let live ! & let's just get on with talking about the actual music ?

All imho of course :lol:

#

...........I just prefer owning 45s in the original format (Soul,Ska,Funk,Whatever) .............Makes it special for me!

I love new/rediscovered tunes and of course have my fav big oldies tunes that make me wanna cry!

I still have to work hard and feed my family!

If i wanted to play a bootleg of say .......George Pepp at our local doo.............why would I want to do that? 5% of the punters who know and love it would be going............nah, he has not got that......thats a FUCKING BOOT.......piss off

.........THE OTHER 95 % OF OUR LOCAL SOUL FANS / MATES would not be at all concerned..............Because they are about to hear "This time" "Competition" "Exodus trek""The Winds kept laughing""Love slipped through my fingers" and loads of other classic oldies and great semi knowns along with rnb / latin (and SKA) tunes!

IF WE AINT GOT IT ON ORIGINAL WE WONT PLAY IT OUT!

No messing, just pure passion and collecting.....................searching 24 hours a day!

And the Scooters are still Lambrettas and we still get suits made from the tailors! Its just the way!

Nothing against anyone who playes boots or CDs...................its all about yourselfs thumbup.gif

Edited by mossy
Social source share

IF WE AINT GOT IT ON ORIGINAL WE WONT PLAY IT OUT!

Same here. There's so many f'king rekkids and so many DJ's, can't see why a so called DJ needs bootlegs. If they can't afford anything else, then a DJ should be able to create a good playlist out of £5 originals. If they can't do that, then put simply they don't have any flair or imagination and don't deserve to be called a DJ.

Social source share

Same here. There's so many f'king rekkids and so many DJ's, can't see why a so called DJ needs bootlegs. If they can't afford anything else, then a DJ should be able to create a good playlist out of £5 originals. If they can't do that, then put simply they don't have any flair or imagination and don't deserve to be called a DJ.

Glad i aint a DJ :boxing:

Social source share

Hey now that you mention it Mark

Ian Levine is making a total one off appearance in The Connaught Hotel Ballroom on Friday 2nd May.

Not to be missed!! And he is going to be spinning classic soul 45's so please dont miss this!!

Can we bring our own tomatoes and eggs so long as we can take a vow to say they are real tomatoes/eggs. The ones from the tesco value range are obviously boots and if we have a signed statement from jamie oliver to say the eggs are free range validating their originality. :lol::boxing:laugh.gif:D

Social source share

look at all the peeps looking at this thread, it's like feeding time at the zoo!

no offence meant to any animal, mamal, insect living or dead..... just saying

:boxing:laugh.gif:D:lol:Nice one coops luv ANGEL xx

Social source share

Ok i know this thread has been on before but i just have to get this off my chest. Last night i travelled to a northern soul venue ( No name mentioned ) to listen and enjoy a night of good music and i was not let down. However i have been collecting vinyl now for about 20 years and have a decent collection of originals of which i have spent a small fortune on and seached and haggled for that elusive single to put in my box. So when a Dj gets up and starts playing great originals be it £20 or £2000 i know he has worked hard to build a collection and reputation to stand proudly behind the decks.

What a HATE however is a person who strolls up and is allowed to play an hour of bootlegs and re issues of rare records without the other Djs batting an eyelid and stepping off the decks to a round of applause. The set SHE played was fine except for the absence of 90%originals. Maybe im being a little biast but if i had been going on next i would have been cheesed off Knowing a £1000 original i was going to play had been played on a £5 bootleg previously.

I realise that the average northern soul punter doesn't care what format the record is as long as they can dance, but surely the event organisers sould stop this to keep some credability to there soul event. Needless to say we left before the end.

Social source share

The person doing the DJ booking wants a boot up the arse. If you are promoting an event then you are responcible for the music. Why book someone with no records????????

TOTALLY agree. Its down to the promoters to sort out proper dj's. Im all for taking the arm of the record if i come acrooss it...DIRECT ACTION...Ha! Personally, i CAN tell the difference in quality when a lot of boots are played!

Can someone pm me and tell me who it was, so i can avoid their Sh--te event and attitude?

cheers :unsure:

Social source share

I don't know KevH , That's another one I've heard recently that if its a soul club it does not matter about Playing Boots but at an Allnighter it's originals only and they won't get away with it , well some time ago in the west mids there was a certain DJ booked at A venue who played boots after boots of all expensive good sounds of Northern , He was getting slagged of by one Member stating it was not fair for the later DJ going on after Him who as the originals and payed a lot of money for them I Had to agree with that , then a few weeks later he tells me there's the right place to play Originals and soul clubs don't count , so why did he slag him off in the first place. It seams to me one rule for one and one for another and it's about clicky clicky mates.

can't believe i'm dragged into this by NAME,when none of you have the bottle to name the dj who played boots.

Hitsville Chalky...clarify this post,the implication reads that I was at the niter playing boots,AND that "soul clubs" have no integrity and will play any shit going.

Social source share

You've been peeping in my record box again Steve.

This is exactly the point I made earlier. There are loads of good cheap records out there, you just have to take the time and energy to find them and if you can't be bothered to do this, you shouldn't be DJing. Can't see the attraction of just buying a ready made set of Boots etc finding them is 90% of the fun, playing them out is just an added bonus.

QoFxx

Edited by chrissie
Social source share

Would just like to add, if you're attending a cutting edge mainly newies venue then yes, original vinyl would be the order of the day, but at the hundreds of local soul nights I can't see why anyone would get upset about it

Well, the quality of sound would be a reason for me (take the boot of Frankie Crocker for instance!). Mind you, the sound systems are so bad at most venues, i guess it makes little difference. :unsure:

Social source share

Well, the quality of sound would be a reason for me (take the boot of Frankie Crocker for instance!). Mind you, the sound systems are so bad at most venues, i guess it makes little difference. :unsure:

The sound quality of the Frankie Crocker pressing is as good as the original as it was a licensed press by All Platinum. Unless you mean the later white label one.

Social source share

If my understanding of Ged's post is - it's alright to play pressings of Frank Wilson and Lou Pride out, because otherwise you wouldn't have heard them much over the last 20 years.. Then with respect, I'm sorry but I strongly disagree.

In the last 20 years you would, should, or could have got these sounds on tape and listened to them at home or in the car. Who has the right to embark on such a false moral crusade?

Having rare original singles played out by dedicated collectors/DJ's is what helps keep the music rare and desirable. If thats uncomfortable for some, then to quote Pete S, tough s**t.

Either you misunderstood me Ian or I'm misunderstanding you.

I don't think it's right to play boots out I think this is why we have so many 'played out' oldies and so many identikit sets at soul nights. I'd prefer not to have heard many of these tunes since way back when because I know how I feel when I hear something that I haven't heard for 30 years at a do it can be mind blowing.

I have, as I'm sure many have, had a well known DJ play a re-issue before my spot after I'd had the gaul to refuse to sell him my original on the same night. I lost a little respect for the said DJ at the time but had it been a boot and not a legit re-issue I think I may have reacted a little stronger.

Listening to things at home or in the car is a totally different experience to hearing them at a venue.

Hope that clears up my perspective.

Social source share

Either you misunderstood me Ian or I'm misunderstanding you.

I don't think it's right to play boots out I think this is why we have so many 'played out' oldies and so many identikit sets at soul nights. I'd prefer not to have heard many of these tunes since way back when because I know how I feel when I hear something that I haven't heard for 30 years at a do it can be mind blowing.

I have, as I'm sure many have, had a well known DJ play a re-issue before my spot after I'd had the gaul to refuse to sell him my original on the same night. I lost a little respect for the said DJ at the time but had it been a boot and not a legit re-issue I think I may have reacted a little stronger.

Listening to things at home or in the car is a totally different experience to hearing them at a venue.

Hope that clears up my perspective.

I read it wrong Ged, sorry. Matt & Sean pointed that out. :unsure:

Social source share

i for one will not play a pressing or even a re-issues if i know that any of the dee-jays on the same night as me has an original.

but if i know they haven't then if it's appropriate then i'll play it.

that seems a fair etiquette to me.

anyone else?

What circumstances make it appropriate Mick?

Would people be paying to listen to those turds?

Social source share

can't believe i'm dragged into this by NAME,when none of you have the bottle to name the dj who played boots.

Hitsville Chalky...clarify this post,the implication reads that I was at the niter playing boots,AND that "soul clubs" have no integrity and will play any shit going.

Kev It was not you I was on about I don't know you , You read my post wrong.

Edited by Hitsville Chalky
Social source share

Guest Pete Griffin

I did - last week - a Delreys Inc pressing to replace my original I sold a couple of years back. Still sounds great despite the label being the wrong shade of green.

I would call the police in if the post man dropped me off a boot - leg, i mean, how do they stop the blood dripping out the package :unsure: and who is missing a leg :wicked:

Edited by Pete Griffin
Social source share