• Replies 47
  • Views 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest stromberg

Another Opportunist!

Why not do this -"mars bar for sale" Bought yesterday for 45pence but now for sale for £20!

Why dont you just give them to your friends as presents Albert and you will be thought of a lot nicer! :wave:

Social source share

Guest Ranger

Link To Kings Go Forth On Ebay

It looks as if people will pay it so why not ask it, at the end of the day it's up to the buyer. It's no different to the silly money asked for stuff like Sister James, Integrity and a hundred others. Infact it's probably more valid due to it's limited press.

Kev

Edited by Ranger
Social source share

Guest Matt Male

I don't believe some of the pompous, holier-than-thou hypocritical comments on here from the Mother Teresas of Northern Soul.

We all buy and sell records to buy other records we like and i'll bet none of us sell at a loss or at the price we bought them.

We've all got mortgages, kids to feed, other records we'd like etc... we all need money and none of us (as far as i know) are running a charity.

Good luck to anyone who can make a profit on this 45, the same as any other. If no one wants it, no one will buy it.

'Selling King's Go Forth at a profit? I will pray for your soul as it burns in hell my son...'

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

Well done all, now rush off and buy all the issues of Ron Hall now being sold as Marc Evans. It s the new next big thing. Limited press only 500 copies, it s a future earner. Dont buy stocks or shares buy records. New release records. Honestly all the people in the record industry who think it s dying on it s ar*e must be wrong.

Hurry, or they ll all be gone.

:wave:

Social source share

Its only a limited press if it bombs- Theres no way theres only ever going to be just 500 - Any intellegint person knows if youve sold 500 you press up another 500 and the way this record is going it might make the bloody charts! Albert are you giving a % of your profit to the band- If not as stromberg says - Its just bloody disgusting - They are a new band and need as much financial support as possible. It will make them think twice about putting on vinyl again(CDS or MP3s instead) if they see this happening. Im sure they are happy for the exposure as it seems they wanted to tap into this market however I bet they are disgusted with the exploitation by people they dont even know. If I were them I flood the market and issue just promos to the elusive in future.

If I had 5 copies I would have offered them to friends at the same price I got mine and one day the favour would be repaid!

Social source share

Its only a limited press if it bombs- Theres no way theres only ever going to be just 500 - Any intellegint person knows if youve sold 500 you press up another 500 and the way this record is going it might make the bloody charts! Albert are you giving a % of your profit to the band- If not as stromberg says - Its just bloody disgusting - They are a new band and need as much financial support as possible. It will make them think twice about putting on vinyl again(CDS or MP3s instead) if they see this happening. Im sure they are happy for the exposure as it seems they wanted to tap into this market however I bet they are disgusted with the exploitation by people they dont even know. If I were them I flood the market and issue just promos to the elusive in future.

The band themselves have said that there will only ever be 500 copies made of this 45, and the people involved with pressing up this 45 knows full well how these things works and have earlier here on SoulSource pretty much stated that they don't mind it.

Read this:

I will stand behind making it a small batch though , it keeps it special. This is a big can of worms but to keep it simple let me say that the funk and soul scenes throughout the years have been founded on the fact that not every tom dick and harry has these records. As soon as you can get it just anywhere it loses a bit of it's mystique. I don't want to harp on this point too long, I wrote and produced the record and I can do what I want with it.

Also, 2 or 3 people will have small quantity but almost all of that 500 are individual copies or 2x each.

The same person also wrote this in the same thread:

Record collectors are the freaks, not the band. 500+ people reserving copies of the 45 and you know how many have paid 99 cents to download it? I'll tell you. 10.

So is it 'all about the music' or all about object fetishism?

I am one of you freaks so don't take this the wrong way but this old chestnut of RECORDS vs THE MUSIC is F*&ing BORING as it's obviously about THE RECORDS! MUHAHAHAH

In the meantime this thread had been getting us like 300+plays a day on our page, thanks SS! And the band is the one's who decided to keep it at 500 copies.. there are plenty of other ways to make money for the group besides 45 sales. In fact I wonder what succesful groups these days rely on them for any percentage of their income. This is all a bit of fun.

It's all from this thread:

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/Kings-B...962#entry774962

Edited by Sebastian
Social source share

I don't believe some of the pompous, holier-than-thou hypocritical comments on here from the Mother Teresas of Northern Soul.

We all buy and sell records to buy other records we like and i'll bet none of us sell at a loss or at the price we bought them.

We've all got mortgages, kids to feed, other records we'd like etc... we all need money and none of us (as far as i know) are running a charity.

Good luck to anyone who can make a profit on this 45, the same as any other. If no one wants it, no one will buy it.

'Selling King's Go Forth at a profit? I will pray for your soul as it burns in hell my son...'

:thumbsup::lol::D:D

Possibly the best and funniest post I've read for some time! Really don't understand why everyone has got so hot under the collar about this. Like Matt said we all buy records to sell/trade on, just because this is a new release why should it be any different?

I bought 2 copies on release with the intention of using one of them to sell on and use the cash generated to buy myself something else for myself. Although in the end I gave it away to a good friend on Friday as he had missed out on getting one.....but otherwise I would have chucked it on eBay. Wouldn't sell it on here.......to avoid the kind of ridiculous comments we've already seen.

Albert is NOT a robbing bastard and to call him that is IMO totally unfair, he's simply offering a 45 for sale. It doesn't matter how much he paid for it or when. If I'm selling a record I'll price it at what is the current market value (in this case judging from the ebay sale 50-60 seems to be 'market value' )....should I only sell records for the price I paid for them....

Adam.

Social source share

Guest Simon

Must admit i personally find this a bit unsavoury, but it's not just this record it's also things like the 100 club anniversary singles also.

I remember a time when if i didn't mke it to the 100 club i would manage to get a spare copy off a mate, usually for nothing but at the most a tenner, now everyone's on ebay sttraight away trying to make a huge profit.

What Albert is doing is exactly the same thing & i personally find it sad, what's happened to the old camerarderie & friendship, money appears to now be king big time on the Soul scene.

Simon :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

i'd like to congratulate albert in getting £60 for a record that is effectively not very good

if you like this sort of stuff go to www.tunes.co.uk and fill yer boots

Social source share

Yet another case of people panick buying the Emporers New clothes.

Meanwhile, 90% of 'Record Buyers' are unwilling to take a punt on £10-£15 45s - because they must be crap, 'cause they are cheap.

Good Luck to the seller - he had the gumption to ride the record hype gravy train, and get off a stop before everyone else.

Social source share

Guest stromberg

Must admit i personally find this a bit unsavoury, but it's not just this record it's also things like the 100 club anniversary singles also.

I remember a time when if i didn't mke it to the 100 club i would manage to get a spare copy off a mate, usually for nothing but at the most a tenner, now everyone's on ebay sttraight away trying to make a huge profit.

What Albert is doing is exactly the same thing & i personally find it sad, what's happened to the old camerarderie & friendship, money appears to now be king big time on the Soul scene.

Simon :thumbsup:

this is what I was thinking of as well. It is just normal that everyone wants as much for their records as possible, but you can really overdo it. Some record prices have become silly and I just don't see the point of turning the price screw upwards at every occasion.

It is very refreshing to deal with a pleasant person who has NOT maximum profit on his mind when selling records, sadly I am having the impression that this is becoming a rare occasion :lol:

This is a general statement and not aimed at Albert, I am sure he is a nice guy.

Social source share

The last month buy the "new release" Moses Smith - Try my Love for 50 GBP in a "Big Name Dealer"...what is the diference??

How many copies of the 100 club 45 selling at 50 GBP 3 weeks after the allnighter???...what is the diference???

The original price of the record was 8 each copy...and the dealers sell at 10 GBP! (20$$), if the dealers buy 100 copies at 8 and sell at 10 gbp win 600 GBP!!!...what is the diference if I only buyed 5 copies to trade/sell for buy another records??? (or repainting my scooter in this moment)

I have a lot of things to say but my english is very bad and it´s most dificult to me...

cHEERS!!!!

STILL HAVE 2 SPARE COPIES... 55 GBP SHIPPING COST & PAYPAL FEES INCLUDED, FINE?

ANOTHER COPY ON EBAY...OF THE SAME GERMAN DEALER

https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...hlink:middle:us

Social source share

:thumbsup::lol::D:D

Possibly the best and funniest post I've read for some time! Really don't understand why everyone has got so hot under the collar about this. Like Matt said we all buy records to sell/trade on, just because this is a new release why should it be any different?

I bought 2 copies on release with the intention of using one of them to sell on and use the cash generated to buy myself something else for myself. Although in the end I gave it away to a good friend on Friday as he had missed out on getting one.....but otherwise I would have chucked it on eBay. Wouldn't sell it on here.......to avoid the kind of ridiculous comments we've already seen.

Albert is NOT a robbing bastard and to call him that is IMO totally unfair, he's simply offering a 45 for sale. It doesn't matter how much he paid for it or when. If I'm selling a record I'll price it at what is the current market value (in this case judging from the ebay sale 50-60 seems to be 'market value' )....should I only sell records for the price I paid for them....

Adam.

Sorry Adam I have to disagree with you- This is a new record with the band tryin g to make a breakthrough - If we all took this approach bands would have second thoughts about releasing any songs on vinyl and go down the MP3 route This is unsavoury as said and to do it on this site is even worse IMO as it will push the price of every record up just because Albert wants to make a quick killing. I think this is nothing but opportunism at the expense of the person/s who have tried to promote a band through this medium we love- The only way this can be redressed is if no-one else pays this silly money for this record and the extra pressings are made available asap!

As also said - every carver and bootlegger will be rubbing their hands- Theres awider picture to this than just making a quick killing!

Edited by Ernie Andrews
Social source share

Sorry Adam I have to disagree with you- This is a new record with the band tryin g to make a breakthrough - If we all took this approach bands would have second thoughts about releasing any songs on vinyl and go down the MP3 route

I think this is nothing but opportunism at the expense of the person/s who have tried to promote a band through this medium we love-

The only way this can be redressed is if no-one else pays this silly money for this record and the extra pressings are made available asap!

Please read post #13 above (by me). You're assuming a lot of things that are not correct in all of your posts in this thread.

Edited by Sebastian
Social source share

The last month buy the "new release" Moses Smith - Try my Love for 50 GBP in a "Big Name Dealer"...what is the diference??

How many copies of the 100 club 45 selling at 50 GBP 3 weeks after the allnighter???...what is the diference???

NO DIFFERENCE AT ALL

The original price of the record was 8 each copy...and the dealers sell at 10 GBP! (20$$), if the dealers buy 100 copies at 8 and sell at 10 gbp win 600 GBP!!!...what is the diference if I only buyed 5 copies to trade/sell for buy another records??? (or repainting my scooter in this moment)

NO DIFFERENCE AT ALL

I have a lot of things to say but my english is very bad and it´s most dificult to me...

cHEERS!!!!

STILL HAVE 2 SPARE COPIES... 55 GBP SHIPPING COST & PAYPAL FEES INCLUDED, FINE?

ANOTHER COPY ON EBAY...OF THE SAME GERMAN DEALER

https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...hlink:middle:us

I think the real culprits of thgis type of 'feeding frenzy' are the lunatics that fuel this type of panic buying of The Emperor's New Clothes. Sheer lunacy, but then over the last few months I've come to finally admit that there's no rhyme or reason for a lot of the record collectors behaviour. :lol:

Albert has done nothing that many on here also do as a matter of course. What happened to the constant bleating of "A record is only worth what some will pay?" Isn't this a prime example of that quote? Alternatively the cry of "supply and demand dictates the price". Well there's plenty of supply to meet the demand for this from what I could make out a few weeks ago, so that theory is out of the window too." :thumbsup:

Lunatics have taken over the asylum.

Social source share

Guest Ranger

I can't see why Albert is taking so much flak over this and don't understand the logic behind some of the posts.

Why did people buy more than one copy? The only reason must be the potential to sell at a profit. If KGF were bothered they'd have put a limit on each purchase.

Why should Albert pay a % of his profits to KGF. There are hundreds of soul artists still alive who earned a pittance and whose records have changed hands for hundreds of pounds. Doesn't the same arguement apply?

Supply & Demand. If people think it's worth £60 they'll buy it, if not they won't. It isn't so I won't.

Why pick on this title? A few years ago Sister James was being sold for £50 to £60 when in reality it's only worth £1.

Oh, and KGF are getting more column space because of the demand the limited press has created. If they'd pressed up a few thousand and sold half at a tenner each the record wouldn't even be being talked about.

Kev

Social source share

Guest Beeks

Jesus...are you not all taking this a little too seriously...who cares if it goes for x amount of money...people must only be concerned if they want it in their box...I dont...and probably never will...so let people pay whatever they want for it...only time will tell whether it warrants all the fuss...if I was the Kings now id be rubbing my hands as you all debate about it....

Lets face it...any publicity is good publicity :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Dani Herranz

oh!!!!!!

someone trying to get profit out of a record!!!!

ABSOLUTELY OUTRAGEOUS!!!

he should be hanged, isn´t he????

:thumbsup:tongue.gif:lol::lol:

Social source share

Wouldn`t have thought someone would actually have the balls to try to sell them on here for that kinda price. And I sure wouldn`t have thought anybody would buy it on here for that price. Well, you live and learn.

Marc

NB

And whats that bollocks about its the same as when a collector or dealer finds a say 200 UKP 45 cheap and tries to sell it on here for the realistic price ? It sure ain`t as we all know that this KGF was up for sale on here via three different sources (until) last week for a fifth of the above price. pardon me please.

Edited by Marc Forrest
Social source share

Guest Simon

I think fairplay to Salmon who sold his copy to Chris King for £20 at Souldham on saturday, now thats a fair price! :lol:

Steve

Why's that a fair price when it was £5 - £10 last week!

That's at least a 100% increase in a week.

Simon

Social source share

Why's that a fair price when it was £5 - £10 last week!

That's at least a 100% increase in a week.

Simon

supply and demand Simon, always been the same with soul records whether you agree about the price or not. According to KGF myspace there was a 1200+ waiting list for the 45 so there is a market and some will pay over the odds, just like the Northern Soul scene. Albert and others have done nothing that hasn't been done week in week out. Saw another for sale myself in a box Friday (don't know how much) and I bet there's a fair few others who have bought multiple copies to sell the spares at a profit.

A fair price is whatever the buyer is willing to pay, it's their money after all, again whether we agree or not.

Edited by chalky
Social source share

According to KGF myspace there was a 1200+ waiting list for the 45

If that's the case, then surely the logical thing is for the band to press up another 1200+ copies and sell them before somebody else does???? Or is that too sensible an idea? :lol:

Edited by Soulsorts
Social source share

If that's the case, then surely the logical thing is for the band to press up another 1200+ copies and sell them before somebody else does???? Or is that too sensible an idea? :P

You would have thought that was the sensible idea, especially as the band can make some money out of it :lol:

Social source share

Guest Fatius Bumius

It's no different to Smoove - I can't give you up (Frank Popp Cover up), first one on EBay sold for £180 odd, the next two over £100, when a bit of Google homework would have turned you a copy up for $6.95 and they could be found while that one on EBay was steaming it's way to £180. There's a Smoove on EBay now with a buy it now @£49.99.

If someone sees an opportunity to make a bit of cash, fair play to 'em.

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Sorry Adam I have to disagree with you- This is a new record with the band tryin g to make a breakthrough - If we all took this approach bands would have second thoughts about releasing any songs on vinyl and go down the MP3 route This is unsavoury as said and to do it on this site is even worse IMO as it will push the price of every record up just because Albert wants to make a quick killing. I think this is nothing but opportunism at the expense of the person/s who have tried to promote a band through this medium we love- The only way this can be redressed is if no-one else pays this silly money for this record and the extra pressings are made available asap!

I take it you missed out on picking up a few copies then Ernie? :P

If you have ever sold on a single record for a profit to buy other records you would ratehr have, then you are a bloody hypocrite mate and that goes for all the doom mongers on this thread.

As for the new band trying to make a breakthrough who might be put off buy this buying and reselling, they actually engineered this situation by only pressing 500 copies. The guy behind them on the original KGF thread said they were trying to create a limited edition for the 'collectors market'. I asked him why only 500 and he admitted it was pure marketing and added an evil laugh to his post :P They know exactly what they are doing.

Pikey's Dog is 100% right there are thousands of better, cheaper records out there and i for one would like to use any profit i make buying cheap underplayed quality rather than tribute-band-soul that is a flash in the pan. I'm also flogging a few classic oldies to do the same, should i be prevented from doing that as well now?

We're used to be told what we should and shouldn't listen to on here, now we're all being told what we should and shouldn't sell from our own collections that we've bought with our own bloody money. Unbelievable. :lol:

Social source share

I take it you missed out on picking up a few copies then Ernie? :D

If you have ever sold on a single record for a profit to buy other records you would ratehr have, then you are a bloody hypocrite mate and that goes for all the doom mongers on this thread.

As for the new band trying to make a breakthrough who might be put off buy this buying and reselling, they actually engineered this situation by only pressing 500 copies. The guy behind them on the original KGF thread said they were trying to create a limited edition for the 'collectors market'. I asked him why only 500 and he admitted it was pure marketing and added an evil laugh to his post :P They know exactly what they are doing.

Pikey's Dog is 100% right there are thousands of better, cheaper records out there and i for one would like to use any profit i make buying cheap underplayed quality rather than tribute-band-soul that is a flash in the pan. I'm also flogging a few classic oldies to do the same, should i be prevented from doing that as well now?

We're used to be told what we should and shouldn't listen to on here, now we're all being told what we should and shouldn't sell from our own collections that we've bought with our own bloody money. Unbelievable. :lol:

Yes I have sold a record for a profit- However I did some research to find the record and sold it with a mark up of no more than 50% as I didnt want to look at myself in the mirror and call myself a greedy Ba**rd.

My Morals say that buying a new release for £10 and selling it the next week for £50 is sheer opportunism with no regard for others.

If there was a bread shortage and someone did this & you didnt get any I am sure you would be having an outcry.

So i dont think I am a hypocrite - If someone wants to have the morals of snake then do it queitly elswhere because IMO it doesnt win you any friends on here! :P

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Yes I have sold a record for a profit- However I did some research to find the record and sold it with a mark up of no more than 50% as I didnt want to look at myself in the mirror and call myself a greedy Ba**rd.

My Morals say that buying a new release for £10 and selling it the next week for £50 is sheer opportunism with no regard for others.

If there was a bread shortage and someone did this & you didnt get any I am sure you would be having an outcry.

So i dont think I am a hypocrite - If someone wants to have the morals of snake then do it queitly elswhere because IMO it doesnt win you any friends on here! :P

That's fair enough. If you have certain standards that you live by then that's you. I think you've put forward a fair argument here. My objection is the people coming on here telling everyone else what they should and shouldn't be doing.

As for not being able to look myself in the mirror after making money or having the morals of a snake, personally i would only not be able to do that if i had failed to feed my kids, pay my mortgage or given my wife the lifestyle she expects :lol:

I just don't think we are talking here about buyers who don't know the score and are being ripped off. We are talking about people who are prepared to spend over the odds because they think this is the next big thing and following the crowd while knowing it's true worth. A bread shortage is a different matter, no one is suggesting making money out of desperate poverty stricken people. I think you're missing the point with that analogy. Surely we can make a profit from people who know they are spending too much, it's their money after all? If they didn't want to buy, they wouldn't.

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

Guest Richard Bergman

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't new releases in the 70's & 80's suddenly rocket up in price and desirability in a short space of time due to exposure and plugging.

It just appears to be "a little bit history repeating" as Shirley Bassey once proclaimed......

Edited by Richard Bergman
Social source share

It pays to shop around - think a re-issue of Daybreak's "Everything Man" went for over £80 on Ebay recently - yet if the buyer had done a bit of research he would have found copies available on the internet for £7.00.

A few minutes digging could have saved him over £70 - buyers can sometimes be their own worst enemy too!!.

Social source share

ok,someone makes a profit out of a new release.So what,most people on here couldn't give a monkeys' about the single before release, some hated it.Hate it more now it's out there.

It's only worth what someone will pay.The "bow wave" has gone.

Nobody ever made a bit out of selling?.Thought not. :thumbup:

Back to Lee Fields going for over the odds..........................

As for a bread shortage,,,,,,white sliced for some,,,,,ciabatta for others.......

................Hovis for the faithful :D

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert