Ian Levine, Motorcity, Centre City, Blackpool Mecca, And Swons

Amen to that!

Quality control does seem to be what's missing in some quarters of the scene.

BTW many would extol the virtues of Barbara Pennington (24 Hours) and James Wells (Baby I'm Still The Same Man)... I love 'em too... but one that many seem to have missed is Scherrie Payne's "Somebody Elses Arms"... which (IMO) is excellent!

How many recordings did you do with Scherrie?

Sean

Quite a lot. Both solo, and with The Supremes and with The Supremes and The Originals.

You'll like this.

">
Social source share

Remember buying "Who Is Gonna Love me" as a new release - point I was trying to make is "Love is......" was never "big" at The Mecca - a couple of spins maybe - never ever seen it on a Mecca compilation because it is not associated with the venue.

I played Love Is Serious Business in 1979. It was mostly twelves then but there were still a few sevens. I remember Janice McClain at the same time, and Venus Dodson.

Social source share

Ian,

I think you will find that if you dip your toes into other threads and contribute constuctively there will be no probs

If another member were to "throw rotten eggs" at you off topic on the same thread then the mods would take a dim view and delete their posts

So....................c'mon and "DoThe Chin Stroke Baby"

Thanks but no thanks.

Social source share

As Johnny "Guitar" Watson once put it ................................."Its A Damn Shame"

Cheers Paul

But I'm here and willing to answer any question thrown at me.

I answered Alan Pollard's questions, frankly and honestly, plus I worked out twenty of my favourites, and I told the story of the records weighing down the plane, all in one day.

Social source share

I like this lots, its very Dionne Warwick

And that was extremely intentional. I sold the whole project to Sony on the idea of doing modern day Bacharach style.

Social source share

And that was extremely intentional. I sold the whole project to Sony on the idea of doing modern day Bacharach style.

And if you don't mind me saying if the rest of the Ebony album is to the standard (sorry haven't managed to listen to the others yet) as this track its a blinder. What a cracking vocalist.

Social source share

I answered Alan Pollard's questions, frankly and honestly, plus I worked out twenty of my favourites, and I told the story of the records weighing down the plane, all in one day.

In that case I remember you mentioned, on Richard Searlings show, seeing Diane Jenkins live in New Jersey (I think)

How was she live? And were you responsible for having her 'Recycle" 45 withdrawn and changed to 'Tow A Way Zone"?

Oh and whats the story with the different 'I Need You" issues please ?

And if you get 'round to answearing these today after all the rest you've done then you deserve a lie down
:P

Cheers Paul

Social source share

I I I I I, are you, still, goin on about yourself ? (sorry Mods, but this thread is getting on my tits....first of all Barry-source, now it's levine-source.)

Social source share

"You are ignoring this user"

Social source share

And if you don't mind me saying if the rest of the Ebony album is to the standard (sorry haven't managed to listen to the others yet) as this track its a blinder. What a cracking vocalist.

It certainly is

">
Social source share

In that case I remember you mentioned, on Richard Searlings show, seeing Diane Jenkins live in New Jersey (I think)

How was she live? And were you responsible for having her 'Recycle" 45 withdrawn and changed to 'Tow A Way Zone"?

Oh and whats the story with the different 'I Need You" issues please ?

And if you get 'round to answearing these today after all the rest you've done then you deserve a lie down

Cheers Paul

Sheila Hart and I went with the whole Creative Funk team in the Summer of 1975, on a tour bus, to Upstate New York to watch Diane Jenkins appear live at a big fundraiser for Radio 12B (WLIB). We were treated like celebrities. They called me "Iron Levine" which Sheila thought was hysterical.

I played Deke DeBerry lots of big Blackpool Mecca records including our own Reaching For The Best which he actually wanted to release on the Creative Funk label.

The result of this was "I Need You", made especially for us Blackpoolites.
Social source share

The great Emanuel Laskey, really like that one Ian, how long ago was the video recorded as he lucks so fit and healthy in it and now he's sadly no longer with us.

Regards

Alan

Recorded and filmed ten years ago in 1998 in Detroit.

Social source share

I I I I I, are you, still, goin on about yourself ? (sorry Mods, but this thread is getting on my tits....first of all Barry-source, now it's levine-source.)

"You are ignoring this user"

Social source share

Pity that a lot of current so called DJ's do not have 'serious quality control' . Some soul nights are like an endurance test .

Completely over-rated 45's like the Shrine recordings and the extremely embarrassing Dean Barlow type rock 'n' roll rubbish should be left on the collectors shelves .

One of the reasons Berry Gordy was so successful at Motown was the 'Quality control' he demanded for his target audience .

Another new best friend.

FABULOUS post and so so cuttingly accurate.

Social source share

Pity that a lot of current so called DJ's do not have 'serious quality control' . Some soul nights are like an endurance test .

Completely over-rated 45's like the Shrine recordings and the extremely embarrassing Dean Barlow type rock 'n' roll rubbish should be left on the collectors shelves .

One of the reasons Berry Gordy was so successful at Motown was the 'Quality control' he demanded for his target audience .

Totally agree with all of the above!!! Spot on!!!

Social source share

A bit of Bank Holiday fun to cheer everybody up, with a couple of minutes of fabulousness from Motorcity.

I can't imagine one single person on Soul Source who could find it in their heart to slag this off.

">
Social source share

Larry Trider - Carbon Copy is a another pet hate, when will people learn the difference between rock n roll and soul music?

Sounds like you've transformed Stafford from what it USED to stand for.

Social source share

Is that why so much shelved / unissued motown gets played on the scene or maybe the quality control of Berry Gordy was aimed at a completely different market

Not a fan of Dean Barlow myself but personally would rather have that than disco drivel. Didnt like it in the 70's, 80's, 90's or today. One good thing about having to smoke outside is it gives me somewhere to go when it comes on :P

Social source share

personally would rather have that than disco drivel. Didnt like it in the 70's, 80's, 90's or today. One good thing about having to smoke outside is it gives me somewhere to go when it comes on

When Kev Roberts and Richard Searling named their bigger Northern Soul events "Togetherness", I wonder if their tongues were planted firmly in their cheeks ???

There is no consensus or hope of agreement anywhere.

The older generation of Northern Soul fans are now so stuck in their ways that only a new generation eager to hear a sound rather than collect records, can ever offer any hope of survival.

I keep seeing this vision of Soul Sam propped up in a bed-chair, DJing to a floor full of zimmer frames.

Social source share

When Kev Roberts and Richard Searling named their bigger Northern Soul events "Togetherness", I wonder if their tongues were planted firmly in their cheeks ???

There is no consensus or hope of agreement anywhere.

The older generation of Northern Soul fans are now so stuck in their ways that only a new generation eager to hear a sound rather than collect records, can ever offer any hope of survival.

I keep seeing this vision of Soul Sam propped up in a bed-chair, DJing to a floor full of zimmer frames.

Ian, the only consensus your interested in is the one that agrees with your viewpoint

I wont prejudice anyone on what type of music they like, had lots of mates that have been into and ran modern nights, it just doesnt appeal to me, so I choose my venues accordingly

Even if the scene did die you would only invent a new genre to fit your productions into

I also have never liked the term "Northern Soul" which is just a catch all to throw anything that was/ is played into.

Social source share

Don't read it then...the title is quite clear isn't it?

Edited by Reg
Social source share

Not me.

Never me.

Our rejection threshold at Blackpool Mecca was very high - serious quality control. Half of what's played nowadays on the scene I rejected without a second's thought.

Hi Ian, My rejection threshold is I would say is higher than anybodys because out of all the so called great records I've heard only 10% do it for me,Everything is overrated .I personally didn't like the way soul progessed out of the basement to the penthouse(can't remeber who said that] smoove doesn't do it for me I like bolocks in the music if it's punk,rock or whatever thats where we and plenty of other people differ.

A lot of 70's is a bit shallow nice records don't do it for me and worst of all is a night out listening to beat ballads.On a night out I want music to energise me not music to sit down to or shuffle about to thats for dinner party people not a proper soul night.If it was down to these people the scene would have never got going.

Regards Brian

Social source share

Hi Ian, My rejection threshold is I would say is higher than anybodys because out of all the so called great records I've heard only 10% do it for me,Everything is overrated .I personally didn't like the way soul progessed out of the basement to the penthouse(can't remeber who said that] smoove doesn't do it for me I like bolocks in the music if it's punk,rock or whatever thats where we and plenty of other people differ.

Yes but I have never been remotely interested in either punk or rock, and I like my soul with those magical wistful chords that made Northern Soul so special. They're there in almost everything from The Charades to Hoagy Lands to Johnny Wyatt to The Ambers to The High Keys to Lee David to The Larue.

Without it, the records would sound like Stax.

Social source share

A lot of 70's is a bit shallow nice records don't do it for me and worst of all is a night out listening to beat ballads.On a night out I want music to energise me not music to sit down to or shuffle about to thats for dinner party people not a proper soul night.If it was down to these people the scene would have never got going.

Regards Brian

A brilliant post which mirrors my own views absolutely.....well said sir.....

Phil.

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

That's because he has dedication and integrity and will be doing it untill the day he dies. DJing and supporting venues, accepting critisism , giving opinion and educating and sharing his love and knowledge with humility and passion. Maybe you should become a fortune teller? It seems you might be more succesfull at that than you are a record producer.

You, on the other hand, packed all that DJing stuff up years ago and are now a faded shadow of former glories (on the soul scene), concentrating on pastures new. But while you are now only a fond memory to some, Soul Sam continues to be integral, important, exciting and a well loved part of the soul scene today...

Hey, did you know I critisised him on here recently, quite brutally, for playing a terrible set at Lifeline (you've not been there, have you?)? He responded with a cutting but very fair reply via Manefesto and then came and DJed at Soul Revolution and schooled us all in the art of rocking the dance. No zimmer frames, but plenty of 18-30 year olds in there though going mental to his set along side an equal amount of veteran soulies. It's been a while since you rocked a dance floor in a club full of under 30s, I imagine? Sam's still got the skills, and the records...

Sorry, back on topic as we're not aloud to disgust anyone other than Ian on this thread, appologise to the topic starter I'll understand if a moderator wants to edit out my Soul Sam comments. So some serious questions:

What records have you got left, man? What's in your hot box? And have you made any new discoveries this century or are you now just concentrating on trying to make a success out of producing records?

What was the last record you broke, not counting that Four Vandels thingy?

Did you see X-Factor this weekend? Wasn't that black girl, the one who Louis kicked out 3 years ago, fab? She's goign to win it this year I think, although the young Irish lad must be in with a chance as well? What's your opinion on her voice and the young Irish lads obvious talents?

What was the last venue you went to? And the one before that? How many soul clubs have you been to since the Rocket? And before the Rocket, not counting the clubs you went to to promote the Rocket, how many places in the past 10-15 years have you actually supported and contributed to? What did you think of them, if there are any. I am honestly, seriously interested?

Can you tell me a bit about your promoting of The Highland Rooms. Keb's told me I'd have enjoyed it. How big was it, how many years did it run for? etc?

Serious questions, not piss taking, I'm interested, as I really know very little about you other than from the 'up from the depths 40 stories high, Levinezilla' stuff you are putting on this thread, and the jokes I hear people tell about you that I don't really fully understand, or take little interest in as they tend to be based on 'back in the day' kind of things, 70s and 80s soul politics is not my speciality subject...

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

Why are you posting rubbish like this on this thread ????

If you don't like the thread please just avoid it, instead of ruining it for the rest of us, thankyou.

It's not rubbish. Though I take it not your taste, old bean.?

So be it.

Don't tell me though that you don't see the relevence! Your posts give the impression of intelligence and a good education, no?

Edited by Dave
Social source share

Quality control? It's no different today. There was plenty of crap back in the day, it was just they had a far bigger pool of quality than say the last 10/15 years. I agree with you about the Dean Barlow and where it should be left but to many others it's quality, it packs the floor, there were many records like this back then as well.

As for completely over-rated Shrine stuff, some yes but wasn't Searling playing some of this over-rated rubbish too.

Social source share

Guest Hunnymon

I like this lots, its very Dionne Warwick :huh:

Don't get me wrong I do like this song, however, it is a little too close to Dionne's own "You'll Never Get To Heaven" for me!

There's another song on the Ebony album that is a lot like Little Anthonys "Going Out Of My Head".

Social source share

Sounds like you've transformed Stafford from what it USED to stand for.

===

one area where ure wrong ian - stafford was more than the mid tempo stuff ,which i was never keen on

but there were brilliant uptempo tunes as well,it also had a quality oldies room.

like all eras before the bad sounds were bad - good sounds good and the great are still great!

Stafford was fabulous era for me , it was my wigan and the overall sounds were fantastic

Social source share

===

one area where ure wrong ian - stafford was more than the mid tempo stuff ,which i was never keen on

But, generally speaking Mark, those slower sounds had far more soul content than the other stuff, which is why I can never get it out of my head that NS is more about a "scene" and the records that fit it, than it is about "soul music"!!

As I've said before, I have no issue with that, until those people try to tell me what soul music is!!

Cheers,

Mark R

Social source share

Ian

When you came back with this haul of 4000 records. How much of yor DJ set for the years to come were taken from this one single batch. A large % or just a small % ?

I ask this beacuse now it can take me years or months to simply add 1 record to my collection and now its certainly impossible to find this volume of quality soul music in one hit at a sensible price.

Social source share

But, generally speaking Mark, those slower sounds had far more soul content than the other stuff, which is why I can never get it out of my head that NS is more about a "scene" and the records that fit it, than it is about "soul music"!!

As I've said before, I have no issue with that, until those people try to tell me what soul music is!!

Cheers,

Mark R

====

not knocking the midtempo stuff mark and those that like it...

but as a dancer - detroit strings in the pocket and the like against romance watson as soulful as it is never did it for me - no contest

the joy of stafford is that you could always go to the other room (when it was open) if u wanted something uptempo to dance to...

Social source share

As for completely over-rated Shrine stuff, some yes but wasn't Searling playing some of this over-rated rubbish too.

I had a shelf full of it in the Seventies.

Even reviewed some of it for Black Music Magazine.

It was far too substandard to play at the Mecca.

Social source share

Ian

When you came back with this haul of 4000 records. How much of yor DJ set for the years to come were taken from this one single batch. A large % or just a small % ?

I ask this beacuse now it can take me years or months to simply add 1 record to my collection and now its certainly impossible to find this volume of quality soul music in one hit at a sensible price.

The whole of 1973. Colin Curtis had tons of them off me as well, whatever I'd been able to pull doubles of.

Social source share

ROSE BATTISTE - HIT AND RUN

What a great feeling it must have been to play the above for the first time. Both sides superb!!!

I discovered it in 1969, when I was fifteen years old, and took it to The Wheel in 1970.

">
Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Cheers,

Mark R

Spot on Mark.

I think the confusion over the last few posts is that Ian always talks about 'Northern Soul' as a genre; uptemo, poppy, strings etc... whether it be soul or not. But it's always been a certain sound and a scene, not a musical genre. Those people who think Ian is defending soul music against rock and roll and R&B, you're wrong, he's trying to define what his version of northern soul is (as he always has done to his credit). Great dance music yes but to be honest his version of northern soul has just never been very soulful in my opinion.

As for Shrine recordings, anyone who doesn't like The Prophets - One Gold Piece should have their ears cut off; if they haven't already. It makes me sad that people who criticise what they consider rock and roll or R&B are actually probably not into soul music at all, just uptempo 'northern'. That's how it seems to me anyway.

You're ok though Mark (Freeman) because i know you love Patrice Valentine and Carol Fran. See you Friday for some good rocking R&B in the upstairs room at Stormin' Soul. :lol::huh:

Social source share