We Were Lucky And Still Are

Jim G

Here's the thing, there are countless pages of rhetoric on this and many other forums, books, magazines etc. etc. Some if it is ego driven, poison, love or whatever.. Some of it 'hey my collection is worth more than yours' or 'it is only worth £xxx' nonsense. Most of it thankfully, is enduring love and appreciation from thousands of devotees.

The truth is, for all of us that have ever enjoyed the music of (mainly) black America (this is no way meant to be any kind of racist comment) played out on the northern soul scene, we are / were lucky to have exprienced it. for me it was best at its peak of discovery.

I say this, because as young man I was able to go to some of the now most revered venues of the Northern Scene. For me 71 to 75 was the most memorable, but, so what. I love the whole scene, right up to now. I am glad I was born in the fifties and am truly grateful I was able to enjoy the scene at, in my view, its peak. This statement is in no way meant to undermine what has grown and developed since those heady days, bit is purely an acknowledgement of a period in time.

There are many music 'scenes' or genres that had their peak, that thrived both before and after their respective heady days, yet nonetheless had a period of amost 'magic'.This is not a sentimental 'it was better in the good old days', it is simply a statement of fact.

Whether you fell in love in with the mucic right now, or 40 years ago is not up for debate. For me, I am simply saying for all those of us who were fortunate to enjoy the scene then, we were lucky (a fact many of us fail to acknowledge)

I hope the scene continues long after I am gone to that great dancefloor in the sky. This philosophical post for me, is simply a reality check. The scene is (and always has been) about the music and people who appreciate and enjoy it. Everything else is redundant.

I am and will always be eternally grateful that I (and my many friends) were lucky enough to be exposed (if that is the correct word) to some of the greatest music recorded, that, in most cases, went ignored by the masses. One can argue about good and bad DJs, venues and promoters. The fact remains it has always been about the music and I am so glad I have heard and danced to many great songs.

I am not trying to make a point with the post, rather it is a download fo my thoughts. Apologies for the waffle, after two bottles of wine!!

We were and continue to be lucky.

Sinclerely, thank you to all all the artists who wrote, produced and sang such great songs we that we still love and enjoy today, decades after they were first recorded.

Social source share

• Replies 43
  • Views 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Here's the thing, there are countless pages of rhetoric on this and many other forums, books, magazines etc. etc. Some if it is ego driven, poison, love or whatever.. Some of it 'hey my collection is worth more than yours' or 'it is only worth £xxx' nonsense. Most of it thankfully, is enduring love and appreciation from thousands of devotees.

The truth is, for all of us that have ever enjoyed the music of (mainly) black America (this is no way meant to be any kind of racist comment) played out on the northern soul scene, we are / were lucky to have exprienced it. for me it was best at its peak of discovery.

I say this, because as young man I was able to go to some of the now most revered venues of the Northern Scene. For me 71 to 75 was the most memorable, but, so what. I love the whole scene, right up to now. I am glad I was born in the fifties and am truly grateful I was able to enjoy the scene at, in my view, its peak. This statement is in no way meant to undermine what has grown and developed since those heady days, bit is purely an acknowledgement of a period in time.

There are many music 'scenes' or genres that had their peak, that thrived both before and after their respective heady days, yet nonetheless had a period of amost 'magic'.This is not a sentimental 'it was better in the good old days', it is simply a statement of fact.

Whether you fell in love in with the mucic right now, or 40 years ago is not up for debate. For me, I am simply saying for all those of us who were fortunate to enjoy the scene then, we were lucky (a fact many of us fail to acknowledge)

I hope the scene continues long after I am gone to that great dancefloor in the sky. This philosophical post for me, is simply a reality check. The scene is (and always has been) about the music and people who appreciate and enjoy it. Everything else is redundant.

I am and will always be eternally grateful that I (and my many friends) were lucky enough to be exposed (if that is the correct word) to some of the greatest music recorded, that, in most cases, went ignored by the masses. One can argue about good and bad DJs, venues and promoters. The fact remains it has always been about the music and I am so glad I have heard and danced to many great songs.

I am not trying to make a point with the post, rather it is a download fo my thoughts. Apologies for the waffle, after two bottles of wine!!

Sinclerely, thank you to all all the artists who wrote, produced and sang such great songs we that we still love and enjoy today, decades after they were first recorded.

Beautifully put Jim!

I thank the lord for being born in 1955. In my opinion we just witnessed the greatest half century of musical culture ever known to man. We should be so lucky.

The fact that I happened to be 15 years old living in Mirfield, Yorkshire in 1970 with an affinity for uptempo Soul music means that I was surely blessed.

The Northern Soul scene was the eighth wonder of the world IMO.

The greatest scene in my experience and I've been around forever.

Pure magic.

Ian D :)

Social source share

Beautifully put Jim!

I thank the lord for being born in 1955. In my opinion we just witnessed the greatest half century of musical culture ever known to man. We should be so lucky.

The fact that I happened to be 15 years old living in Mirfield, Yorkshire in 1970 with an affinity for uptempo Soul music means that I was surely blessed.

The Northern Soul scene was the eighth wonder of the world IMO.

The greatest scene in my experience and I've been around forever.

Pure magic.

Ian D biggrin.gif

Amazing. You and I were having that very conversation last week Ian.

Except you missed of the bit about being born in Brighton!

S'true though what JimG says. I've always considered myself to be extremely privileged to have been around during the Golden era of Soul Music.

Especially when you consider that 50 years from now, our Music will probably be as irrelevant to the culture of 2058 as the charleston is today.

:)

Sean

Social source share

2058 ....that is scary..... we won't be here anymore.... :yes::)

Speak for yourself...I might be...and ill be enjoying 3D virtual reality soul in my Woody Allen Orgasmatron laugh.gif

Social source share

Can I just ask that before you all pop your clogs can you sign your record collections over to me...wonder what the going rate for 100 year old vinyl will be in 2058? g.gif

This time next year Rodney....we'll be millionaires

:)

Social source share

Guest Salford soul boy

:) yes you were all lucky i was born 65 and consequently always on the back end. good positive stuff ya jammy get ph34r.gif

Social source share

My babies are going with me Beeks sorry love. wink.gif

You better be getting buried then Dawny...ill need a big spade of course...and one of the 20 year olds off here...they will be a spritely 70 to start digging :)

Social source share

dancing to northern soul saved my life, i dont know how or why ,i just know it did

Northern soul saved me from a very deep and dark place......... Fantastic music, fantastic people despite this forum sometimes giving the opposite impression........

Social source share

Nice post and I would agree wholeheartedly with this. I do agree that the best years were between 71-75, (i was born in 53). I enjoy the scene today as much as ever and despite all the debate over oldies, crossover and modern etc, it is what the scene is all about, discovering new sounds while enjoying and remembering the oldies.

Chris

Social source share

Guest andyrattigan

Great thread!

Although I wasn't old enough to attend the classic clubs this music to has changed my life.

How could I have known when I was 16 and bought a tape of Northern off a guy at a Mod rally that it would it would influence the rest of my life.

I have such happy memories of buying Kent Albums and getting high off each new 6ts dancer and then travelling from the west of Ireland to events in Dublin or flying over to the North of England to go to nighters in the early 90's and buy new sounds.

For me Soul music is pure escapism. Attending an event with quality sounds and getting on that dancefloor just transports you to another realm.

Any worries or tensions I have are gone when dancing and listening to this music. The music helps you transcend all the bullshit of this Modern world in which we live.

Nice to read a positive thread for a change :D

Social source share

Yes the mid 50,s a great time to be born.

As well as the music don,t forget watching England winning the World Cup.

Can,t see that happening again in my lifetime

Social source share

I was born in 1973...crap year for wine :(

Great post...nice to see a positive perspective for a change in a sea of negativity :D

The down side of being born in the 50,s is remembering City having a good side and even winning the league laugh.gif

Sorry Beeks i could not resist smile.gif

Social source share

I'm in the same category as Andy (grew up in the arse end of Ireland!). I thank my older brother for being a mod and buying the "Out On The Floor" compilation which featured Frank Beverly & The Butlers "If That's What You Wanted". When i heard that, everything made sense. This directed me to this beautiful music and to venues in Dublin and the U.K.

Even though i was too busy playing with my toys while you were experiencing this weird and wonderful scene, i still feel lucky to be found by this music.

Social source share

I'm in the same category as Andy (grew up in the arse end of Ireland!). I thank my older brother for being a mod and buying the "Out On The Floor" compilation which featured Frank Beverly & The Butlers "If That's What You Wanted". When i heard that, everything made sense. This directed me to this beautiful music and to venues in Dublin and the U.K.

Even though i was too busy playing with my toys while you were experiencing this weird and wonderful scene, i still feel lucky to be found by this music.

Sorry this is off topic.

Is that Paul Grant?

Social source share

Amazing. You and I were having that very conversation last week Ian.

Except you missed of the bit about being born in Brighton!

S'true though what JimG says. I've always considered myself to be extremely privileged to have been around during the Golden era of Soul Music.

Especially when you consider that 50 years from now, our Music will probably be as irrelevant to the culture of 2058 as the charleston is today.

ohmy.gif

Sean

Not in Payney's house , Sean :thumbsup: .............

Like you and Ian , I am honoured to have been born in a year - 1950 - which enabled me to enjoy , and be a part of , what is now considered the " Golden Era " ........

Malc Burton

Social source share

Loved all the posts, but... do you ot think its funny that the year you were borncan define what you term the golden age of northern.

I was born in 1962 got my first taste of northern in '74 at the local youth club had to wait wo years for my first nighter in76/77 started travelling from scotland regular in 77/78 but for me the golden age was the early eighties the hundred club/stafford/clifton hall.

I am not belittling any of your opinions but its all pespective as to where you were at the time.

I am very thankful as well for the year i was born and to the older soulies who took me under their wing and shared this wonderful music with me.

the scene has defined my life for good and bad I have met some fantastic people seen some great acts and danced to the best music in the world.

... and long may we continue.

Roddy

Social source share

The down side of being born in the 50,s is remembering City having a good side and even winning the league laugh.gif

Sorry Beeks i could not resist :lol:

Ah Dave...I know...maybe one day in my lifetime we might win something again but im not holding my breath :thumbsup::lol:

Social source share

I agree 100% this music has given me , the best and most important times and memories of my life :P and its very special to me :thumbup: and always will be :yes: xxxxxx

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

I feel very lucky to be part of this scene of ours, I really love the friends I have made on it with all my heart yes.gif . The music just gets better and better, I know I haven't been on the scene as long as a lot of folks, but my ears are always open to 60s and 70s sounds I haven't heard (I'm not a lover of more modern stuff, at least aint heard any I like, however would not stop it being played unless I was at a 60s/RnB do!)

I also love the etiquette of peeps at soul dos, I rarely venture to ordinary pubs/clubs, was at a local Wetherspoons a few months ago, went for a meal, myself and my female friends stayed for a while there, I went to the bar for drinks, someone had puked up by the bar. On the other side a girl who looked about 15 dropped her drink, it spilled over me and smashed all over the floor, I thought let me out of here and onto the places where I feel most at home amongst civilised folk on the soul/r&b scene :lol: Went straight home after that.

Sorry forgot to mention also love me 40s/50s Rnb too.

Also :thumbsup: for the media/refosoul section for what the likes of Baz Atkinson/Toad/Ken/Thorsten/Soul Integrity et al post up. I absolutely love quite a lot of stuff that is posted up there quite a lot I don't know.

Suz :lol:

x

Edited by suzannek
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

well said fella..........heres a thought,there are people that attend nighters that l have known for nearly 40 years who l have seen on a regular basis for all of those 40 years.I have met some of the best folk in my life recently (last 10yrs to now) in fact the love of my life l met at a soul do. what other walk of life so to speak would this of happened......not many.When we go to an allnighter now and it's in full flow,we're all talking bollox,the place is rocking and the children of the night are having the most shenanigans theres nowhere else to be...tezza

Social source share

well said fella..........heres a thought,there are people that attend nighters that l have known for nearly 40 years who l have seen on a regular basis for all of those 40 years.I have met some of the best folk in my life recently (last 10yrs to now) in fact the love of my life l met at a soul do. what other walk of life so to speak would this of happened......not many.When we go to an allnighter now and it's in full flow,we're all talking bollox,the place is rocking and the children of the night are having the most shenanigans theres nowhere else to be...tezza

I agree apart from the last time I looked I was very much a lady :thumbsup:

Suz

x

Social source share

The down side of being born in the 50,s is remembering City having a good side and even winning the league :D

Sorry Beeks i could not resist :D

Don't worry Dave...you got it all to look forward to again :):thumbup:

Social source share

.....the love of your life!!!! how long have you and danny been lovers !!!!! :ohmy:

Social source share

Are they scotch pies in yer avatar? Heart attack food - but very fookin tasty wi a bit of brown!

:ohmy:

Social source share

i was born in 67 so i missed the casino etc so yes i agree you were lucky but although i bought my first northern tune in 78 (i was only 11 and living in norwich)a year later two tone happened and this was also a great time to be a teen and when i see youngsters today getting into ska i feel lucky i was born when i was...also when i go on a scooter rally i feel lucky to have been going on rallies in the 80s in its heyday with thousands of others...again a great time to be in your early twenties....i agree with other comments i cant see what todays kids will feel lucky about !!

but we are also lucky to be into a music and a scene that seems to refuse to die and where your age doesnt matter...long may it continue :thumbup:

Social source share

I can categorically say Northern Soul ruined my life :lol:

University place....nah won't bother with that, I want to stay out all night and need to get a job to pay for it :thumbup:

But then again, I wouldn't have my lovely little boys but for New Century Soul Club :D

Social source share

Well said that man

Salmon

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert