Post Stafford Classics

Okay quick run by while waiting in coffee cue

Donnie Burdick Candle In The Window

Colin Law at his peak, dance floor rocking, hands clapping, mad Scotsmen chanting Soul. I was off course at side stroking my chin in time.

Lost more records from Colin in that period, trying to think when, also lots of Allanton records although not sure they count as huge, 2 from me I would suggest

Soulful Twins - Can't Let You Go and Tears - Good Luck My Love

Also Magnetics I Have A Girl would only became popular after Stafford, would it have not, trust me I used to ask Butch to play it enough!!

Do not under estimate the power of the Scots Jocko.......Allanton was huge for us. Did I hear Colin might be making a come back ???????????

Russ

Edited by Russ Vickers
Social source share

• Replies 500
  • Views 32.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

I have moaned & moaned at Dave to spin this again, in fact I thought he may have sold it...........you lucky blighters gonna hear it out foe the first time in eons at Lifeline...............listen to that back beat thump, thump, thump...............strings n things & a vocal to die for, will be huge again, in fact didnt reach its full potential first time round.........just great NS, what it should be all about.............

Russ

Off tread a bit, but if it arrives in the post tomorrow, I've just got a studio disc that I sold 25 years ago to Ion, gonna play it tomorrow nite. old fashioned 100mph stomper. Come home to daddy :lol:

Social source share

I never went to Stafford or anything pre that, so forgive me if any these were played but I always thought of them as newies when I heard them in the late 90s/early 00s:

Sammy Relford - Hey Girl

Kenny Carter - What's That On Your Finger

TC & The Bricklayers - Up and Down The Hill

Little Dooley - If Ever I Needed You

Joe Tex - I Wanna Be Free (possibly a Wheel tune?)

Social source share

I never went to Stafford or anything pre that, so forgive me if any these were played but I always thought of them as newies when I heard them in the late 90s/early 00s:

Sammy Relford - Hey Girl

Kenny Carter - What's That On Your Finger

TC & The Bricklayers - Up and Down The Hill

Little Dooley - If Ever I Needed You

Joe Tex - I Wanna Be Free (possibly a Wheel tune?)

Little Dooley was played at The Mecca and other venues.

Social source share

Nice one Dave............loved the Willy White you played Sat BTW of course I have now forgotten everything you told us about it, other than it was detroit........gonna be a biggie tho'..........certainly did it for us & of course the Superlatives c/up was great too.

Russ

Hi Russ

Willie White-Nobody likes me/I'm leaving-Gold Soul

Social source share

Was the Newsounds, cut from the P-Vine LP.................was huge for awhile darn sarf ...............a great tune & happy memories of the 'Water Rats'.

Russ

It was, Andy Dyson probably the first I remember spinning this at the Hoist in Conisboro that Andy and Rod ran.

Social source share

Robert Tanner "Sweet memories" became a massive sound after I started going to Northern clubs.

had that been played at stafford ?

other things that have had a lot of turntable action over recent years but may have already been mentioned...

sensations

hamilton movement

vangaurds

passions

joe jama, margeret little (I don't particulary like these 2)

I can't comment if they were played at stafford cos I wasn't there.

Social source share

Reding through all the posts the three which stand out as cast-iron, would have been absolute nailed-on-monsters at any of the great venues of the past are:

Jesse James Love Is Alright

Carla Thomas I'll Never Stop Loving You

The Prophets If I Had One Gold Piece (unissued version)

Social source share

Guest Chris Waterman

What was Butch's thing with the same backing track as Yvonne Baker ????????........was it the Volcanoes ????..........mental block..........hoofin' sound !!!!!!.

Russ

'Think It Over' The Chesterfields

I asked Butch about this at the Central Bank Holiday niter in Leeds a couple of years ago and I'm sure he told me he played it at Stafford around 86

Edited by Chris Waterman
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

How about every version of "The Look On Your Face"?

I don't personally remember hearing any of 'em played out before the late 80s but, as I said earlier (to some derision, it would appear :thumbsup: ), I spent quite a few years in the middle of that decade doing very little other than going to the cinema three or four times a week...

Oh yeah, and possibly Bobby Patterson's "I'm In Love With You" which I'm sure must have been played in the 70s but which didn't really achieve classic status until the late 80s...

Social source share

Robert Tanner "Sweet memories" became a massive sound after I started going to Northern clubs.

don´t think so. think Phil Wainwright was first with this ?? don´know when he started playin it though ?? 90´s ?? :thumbsup:

Social source share

How about every version of "The Look On Your Face"?

I don't personally remember hearing any of 'em played out before the late 80s but, as I said earlier (to some derision, it would appear :thumbsup: ), I spent quite a few years in the middle of that decade doing very little other than going to the cinema three or four times a week...

Oh yeah, and possibly Bobby Patterson's "I'm In Love With You" which I'm sure must have been played in the 70s but which didn't really achieve classic status until the late 80s...

Hi Tony

Someone must have really believed in that record for it to get released so many times on all those artists :lol:

But your right don't remember it until late 80's at least

Social source share

Herde something we made up alcon

Daddy Maxfield i've always been in love with you U A

Tabby Thomas you're all i've got Hip

Len Wade what you gonna do Dial

:thumbsup:

only post stafford classics from my play box :lol::lol:

i struggle as with stafford as i was not there so do not know most of the stuff that was played from 79/80 to 1995. so i find these threads extremely enlightening.

Mark

Social source share

Guest Netspeaky

Musn't forget Eddie Holland's beautiful Daydreamer acetate, courtesy of Ady Croasdell. A record I remember from a similar timeframe is Butch playing The Prophets One Gold Piece. Both these records and scores more would have been monsters anywhere at any time.

Are you sure about Butch and the Prophets, I thought only Andy Rix was the only one who had this back then, as it was rumoured not to exist at one time.

Social source share

don´t think so. think Phil Wainwright was first with this ?? don´know when he started playin it though ?? 90´s ?? :thumbsup:

I sold this in the mid 90s to Soul Sam. I thought it was unknown at the time, but after the deal, Butch told me he had one. Not sure who he sold it to.

Interesting that this is getting mentioned within a few posts of the New Sounds LP on Turbo, as it's the exact same band and singers.

Social source share

Just sold a Willie White to Mike Wilkes, difficult to price - OK tune, but not up there with the best.The studio disc you played Dave IS pretty Darned good though, I think Johnny Beggs played this at Bidds (one of the most upfront and exciting allnighters around), I have a CD of it, from him - great track!!!

Des Parker

P.S. Just my personal opinion, for what little it's worth

Edited by SOUL.INC
Social source share

Guest Netspeaky

I remember Butch playing this at 100 Club when I went every month, that was years ago.

When AC put the first shrine LP out on Kent it was one of the missing numbers that was back in the 80's, and unknown to exist.

Social source share

I'm sure someone will have a more complete recollection of the chronology of The Prophets, but the version on the Horace's Capitol Soul anthology predates the discovery of the released version, which only existed as hearsay at the time. It was this version, or a very similar cut which Butch had played for some eighteen months or so before the release of the album. The actual 45 was rumoured to exist but an actual playable copy didn't emerge until some years later. The released version, while good, doesn't have the same magic as the 'tape version'. I call it a tape version because I don't know whether this would have existed on a contemporary (i.e. 1960s) acetate or whether it came from Eddie Singleton's actual masters. Perhaps Ady can tell us the full story.

Social source share

I'm sure someone will have a more complete recollection of the chronology of The Prophets, but the version on the Horace's Capitol Soul anthology predates the discovery of the released version, which only existed as hearsay at the time. It was this version, or a very similar cut which Butch had played for some eighteen months or so before the release of the album. The actual 45 was rumoured to exist but an actual playable copy didn't emerge until some years later. The released version, while good, doesn't have the same magic as the 'tape version'. I call it a tape version because I don't know whether this would have existed on a contemporary (i.e. 1960s) acetate or whether it came from Eddie Singleton's actual masters. Perhaps Ady can tell us the full story.

Great thread folks, fabulous some might even say :thumbsup:

So many of my favourite records mentioned here, mainly because they were new to me 10 years ago.

A few though pre-date 1986 I reckon. Some have been commented upon, and although my memory ain't the best, I reckon The Jokers was played earlier (Nev Wherry perhaps?) and also I heard the Hamilton Movement first time around, though not necessarily at a northern event?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert