Guest SteveJohnston

Falcons I'm a fool i must love you

Dream Merchants Stop you're breaking my heart

Commands no time for love

Stafford or later?

Social source share

I'm not sure about this one whether its had plays in the past

Arin Demain - You dont have to cry anymore

Flip side of Silent I've been playing it over the last couple of years but cant say Ive heard it out ever apart from myself of course a really great record and some what over looked.

Darren

Social source share

Seeing Greg Tormo lurking reminds me we musn't forget Two Plus Two on Velgo.

Must learn to lurk more invisbly... What about Leon Peterson on Skylark "Now you're on your own". The copy I found in 1992 made its way into Roger Banks' hands and I heard it everytime I was in the UK. Personally, I thought it was horrible (which is why I got rid of it), but I think it was a pretty big sound for Roger. I'm sure he had it covered up as something or other.

Social source share

Must learn to lurk more invisbly... What about Leon Peterson on Skylark "Now you're on your own". The copy I found in 1992 made its way into Roger Banks' hands and I heard it everytime I was in the UK. Personally, I thought it was horrible (which is why I got rid of it), but I think it was a pretty big sound for Roger. I'm sure he had it covered up as something or other.

He did, was played a lot at Wilton I think.

Russ

Social source share

Guest SteveJohnston

I had a Dream Merchants from Soul Bowl in 83, but not sure if I played it much then

Dave is there a different version of Stop i seam to remember when i played this out someone having a look at it and telling me there was a better but harder to find one, or have i just been dreaming it?

Social source share

Dave is there a different version of Stop i seam to remember when i played this out someone having a look at it and telling me there was a better but harder to find one, or have i just been dreaming it?

Haven't got it anymore so can't check, sold it back to John end 80's when I sold most of the 60's stuff, big mistake(Sort of) :lol:

Social source share

Musn't forget Eddie Holland's beautiful Daydreamer acetate, courtesy of Ady Croasdell. A record I remember from a similar timeframe is Butch playing The Prophets One Gold Piece. Both these records and scores more would have been monsters anywhere at any time.

Social source share

Sam definitely played the Patterson Twins at Stafford (maybe from the LP), although it would have gone on to greater popularity a bit later down the line.

Honestly cant remember hearing this until maybe mid 9ts.

Almeta Latimore- Memories-Mainstream........whoaaaaaaaaaaa hear it & weep, remember hammering this darn sarf in the Northen Rooms locally & being totally made up when Clarkie played it in the main room at the Cleggy Weekender..........wow.

Russ

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Antoher couple I'm not sure about

Cashmers - Showstopper

and

Tate - Love Shop? (Having major doubts this is the correct title)

Social source share

Musn't forget Eddie Holland's beautiful Daydreamer acetate, courtesy of Ady Croasdell. A record I remember from a similar timeframe is Butch playing The Prophets One Gold Piece. Both these records and scores more would have been monsters anywhere at any time.

Gareth, Ive been trying to remember this all morning to put up..............sh*t the bed !!!!!!!!!!!!!..............happy days indeed, bloody great call matey.

Russ

Social source share

Guest Bernadette

Also there wasn't much in the way of Stafford or post Stafford compilations to catch up with either. Did much of this stuff come out on Goldmine? Either way, it's certainly an era which needs documenting........

Ian D :D

Ian I have a Goldmine CD comp 'On Top Of The World...The Stafford Story'

Never got to go...was doing Morcambe and various allnighters around the north east so can't personally testify to how accurate the track listing is...and probably wouldn't remember even if I did :lol:

1. You Got Me Uptight - Arthur Freeman

2. Like the Lord Said - Rodd Keith

3. You Can't Go On - Lonnie Lester

4. Peanut Duck/The Dance Track - Unknown

5. Naughty Boy - Jackie Day

6. Now You've Gone - The Chaumonts

7. Hook Line and Sinker - Roy Wright

8. Love Bandit - Mr Caldwell

9. Keep on Livin' On - Richard Anthony

10. New Girl - Jimmie and the Entertainers

11. I'm Not Gonna Lose You - Chryslers and Monarchs Band

12. Look into My Heart - Ree Flores

13. Tightrope - Soul Blenders

14. I Remember - Anthony and the Aqualads

15. Sunshine Is Her Way - Main Change

16. No Stranger to Love - Glenda McCloud

17. Looking for a Woman - The Brooks Bros

18. I'm Catching On - Betty Lloyd

19. Same Identical Thing - The Gilletts

20. I Cried My Life Away - Tommy Navarro

21. Long Long Road to Happiness - Sonny Daye

22. Make a Change - Johnny Rogers

23. Pyramid - Soul Bros Inc

24. If You Need More Time - Rayford Tucker

Social source share

Almeta Latimore- Memories-Mainstream........whoaaaaaaaaaaa hear it & weep, remember hammering this darn sarf in the Northen Rooms locally & being totally made up when Clarkie played it in the main room at the Cleggy Weekender..........wow.

Russ

Mentioned Almeta in my list earlier, Russ.

Searling 'Parkers' spin.

:lol:

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Russ

Good enough to bring a grown man to tears. I was going to do another all time fave post, but It was getting silly.

Some great almost forgotten titles on this thread Russ. Thanks for statrting it. A few times the hairs have stood up on my neck as memories were jogged.

Social source share

Guest SteveJohnston

Good enough to bring a grown man to tears. I was going to do another all time fave post, but It was getting silly.

Some great almost forgotten titles on this thread Russ. Thanks for statrting it. A few times the hairs have stood up on my neck as memories were jogged.

Mikey i would like to second that mate :lol: .

One of if not the best Topic's on S/S for some time and with only minimal negative statement! this soul world is looking good for a change. :D

Steve J

Social source share

I've the worst memory in the world but

Many classics post Stafford came about by simply flipping tunes made popular at TOTW,

eg Jack Montgomery, Tangeers etc.

How about

Terry Callier - Ordinary Joe

Little Ann - Who Are you trying To Fool

Purple Mundi

Soul Set - Will You Ever Learn

Brand New Faces - B N F this was wigan i am sure

True Image - Not over you yet was this not a stafford spin for dave withers?

Martha reeves - Noone There

Oxford knights - We can make it.

Some of those may have been Stafford too.

Plus the Luther Ingram one that Ady plays. I dont get it, but everyone else raves about it, and it fills the 100 club floor every time.

highlghted two maybe wrong with true image but not the BNF

mark

Social source share

Nice track Dave, not heard this before,cheers :lol:

Dave f............

I have moaned & moaned at Dave to spin this again, in fact I thought he may have sold it...........you lucky blighters gonna hear it out foe the first time in eons at Lifeline...............listen to that back beat thump, thump, thump...............strings n things & a vocal to die for, will be huge again, in fact didnt reach its full potential first time round.........just great NS, what it should be all about.............

Russ

Social source share

Okay quick run by while waiting in coffee cue

Donnie Burdick Candle In The Window

Colin Law at his peak, dance floor rocking, hands clapping, mad Scotsmen chanting Soul. I was off course at side stroking my chin in time.

Lost more records from Colin in that period, trying to think when, also lots of Allanton records although not sure they count as huge, 2 from me I would suggest

Soulful Twins - Can't Let You Go and Tears - Good Luck My Love

Also Magnetics I Have A Girl would only became popular after Stafford, would it have not, trust me I used to ask Butch to play it enough!!

Edited by jocko
Social source share

Guest Nik Mak

Listening to this for the first time in years as just planted my feet back in time onto a revolving dance floor and i want to go back to them Sunday afternoon soulful sessions :D

Steve J

Great thread Russ! Just read all the posts, some amazing music that you forget. Can just see the world and his wife writing all the tunes down or diving into the loft to dig out that long forgotten classic! :lol: MM & the Peanuts 'The Phillie', sure that was a Yate spin? Must have been as I never went to Stafford and I had it & played it when I was at Yate.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert