Manship Auction Prices

John has a reat deal of knowledge and due respect should be given to him. The times he upsets me is when he should be openly honest and retract statements like "in its rarest form" That would suggest he is the only person who knows and he has been proved wrong on occasions. The other is taking advantage of a given situation and its easy to criticise a business man who is just doing his job. However he can be oportunist sometimes which demeans his credibility as a soul connoseur.

Due to financial pressure I had to sell a few bits on ebay- I got an amazing price for a record I did not expect more than£70 for (New Wanderers-This man in love) Johns guide at the time was £75.00 I got £225.00 from a guy in Germany- A week later John has acopy on his auction starting at I think £200. I think this was opportunist as his start price was nowhere near his price guide. I hope you understand what I therefore mean by this. You can have knowledge and profess yourselfas the Guru but when it involves money he is just as cutthroat as anyone else.

Social source share

• Replies 121
  • Views 11.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

John`s never done much wrong in my book either. His records may seem more expensive but his service has always been quick and reliable. And the grading of his stuff is accurate.If he states anything`s mint-you can be sure it is. And I don`t mind paying a little extra if everything`s right...But he has done a few things wrong in my book..like selling that cottonpickin` price guide to the Americans..and ruining it for us over here...Would we have all these attempted scams by Americans on eBay for records that don`t exist otherwise? No of course not..We`d still be buying records from the States (like my avatar) for next to nothing instead of for thousands.....Our buddies from the States are ready for us now...... :D   :(

link

why shoudnt he sell is price guides to any one ? he is a buisness man so why shoudnt he make money on his books ,will the yanks buy is english price guide which shoul;d be out in a couple off weeks ,and if they are i will be selling them at stafford 30aprill

spanner [not just krs m8 but jms 2 :D:D

Social source share

THE OLD MASTERCARD AND THE SEXY VISA HAS MADE ITS MARK IN THE NORTHERN WORLD FOLKS AS WE ALL KNOW,I`VE DONE IT MYSELF FOR THAT ELUSIVE SOUND.IT CAN BE A BIT SORE AND A BIT RE-DIK-A-LUS,BUT ITS OUR OWN PREFERECE WHAT WAY WE SPEND OUR HARD EARNED CASH,SOMETIMES ITS A CASE OF WHAT HAVE I DONE.WE`VE AW BEEN THEIR AT ONE TIME OR ANOTHER.

NORTHERN SOUL IS WHAT KEEPS US COLLECTING WITH SUCH PASSION,I COULD BE WRONG.ITS NOT THE DEALERS FAULT,WE COULD SAY NO JUST LIKE ZAMMO.

ANDY D

Social source share

John's got Jerry Naylor up on auction at the moment £339 (glad I beat a lot of you to Kennys sales list a few months ago) :thumbsup:

Also Ed Bruce - I'm Gonna Have A Party - Wand, going to be interesting to see what this goes for after we discussed it on here a while ago

Social source share

Great idea. Can you find me a Chapter 5 please? He's got one on there at the moment.

Nail on the head. He does get hard to find records, if you have the cash why wait a year or more until another one comes up?

And you know that if it says mint it's going to be just that.

link

Have only ever heard this played out by Denny Johnson and Terry Davis, brilliant record

Social source share

John's got Jerry Naylor up on auction at the moment £339 (glad I beat a lot of you to Kennys sales list a few months ago)  laugh.gif

Also Ed Bruce - I'm Gonna Have A Party - Wand, going to be interesting to see what this goes for after we discussed it on here a while ago

link

Jerry Naylor was on e-bay not so long ago...went for a about £70 if I remember rightly, nearly bought it myself to sell on :thumbsup:

Social source share

Jerry Naylor was on e-bay not so long ago...went for a about £70 if I remember rightly, nearly bought it myself to sell on  :thumbup:

link

Bet you wished you had now :huh:

Social source share

Ed Bruce was on ebay a year or so back.

link

Be interesting to see what this one reaches on John's auction, any idea what that one went for?

Social source share

From memory Janine it was c. $500. Which would equate to about £275 :thumbup:

link

Sorry Steve.... but I always thought Manship's auctions were in ££££'s anyway.... unless he's now on the dot-com US sites as well and has linked it to his dot-co-dot-uk (a la ebay)....

So is that 500 in ££££'s or $$$$'s.... :huh: ....

Edited by vaultofsouler
Social source share

Sorry Steve.... but I always thought Manship's auctions were in ££££'s anyway.... unless he's now on the dot-com US sites as well and has linked it to his dot-co-dot-uk (a la ebay)....

So is that 500 in ££££'s or $$$$'s.... :thumbup: ....

link

" Derrrrrrrrrrrrr" ? :huh:

Social source share

" Derrrrrrrrrrrrr" ?  :huh:

link

:thumbup: .... what's "der" about that post Steve.... the guy's quoting $$$$'s for JM's auctions when they're all done in ££££'s....

If it's £500 then it's well overpriced for Ed Bruce - I'm Gonna Have A Party (Wand) but not perhaps a JM auction.... if it's $500 (£275) then it's quite cheap for a normal JM auction....

Social source share

:huh: .... what's "der" about that post Steve.... the guy's quoting $$$$'s for JM's auctions when they're all done in ££££'s....

If it's £500 then it's well overpriced for Ed Bruce - I'm Gonna Have A Party (Wand) but not perhaps a JM auction.... if it's $500 (£275) then it's quite cheap for a normal JM auction....

link

One of us has read the thread wrongly Mark.

If its me, I apologise. (But I think its You :thumbup: )

Social source share

One of us has read the thread wrongly Mark.

If its me, I apologise. (But I think its You :thumbup: )

link

I read it, Steve, as Janine asking for a finishing price on Ed Bruce on JM's auction and Steve replying with a price in $$$$'s.... so was querying the $$$$'s answer when JM deals in ££££'s.... if I've missed summat then I'm a twat :yes: .... if not then couldn't understand the "der" bit :yes: ....

Sod it.... summat to eat and a re-read of full full thread for me :D:huh: ....

Social source share

I read it, Steve, as Janine asking for a finishing price on Ed Bruce on JM's auction and Steve replying with a price in $$$$'s.... so was querying the $$$$'s answer when JM deals in ££££'s.... if I've missed summat then I'm a twat :yes: .... if not then couldn't understand the "der" bit :huh: ....

Sod it.... summat to eat and a re-read of full full thread for me :yes:   :thumbup: ....

link

Gracious in defeat, as ever :D

Steve

Social source share

So it's YOU who should read the thread properly :yes:   :D .... mind you it's a bit late in the day for you to be "online" :thumbup: .... unless you've now got a PC at home now or you're "working late" :yes:   :huh: ....

Luv you bro :D ....

link

Mark,

Start with Steve G's post today at 6.52pm.

Steve

Social source share

Mark,

Start with Steve G's post today at 6.52pm.

Steve

link

:D .... you do know 4+4=5 in my house Steve :yes::D .... well that's my excuse mate apart from the fact I've been in "ale house" last 3 hours and it's taking me an age to type at the mo :D:thumbup: ....

Apologies going your way mate :huh: ....

p.s. note to self.... read the f**** threads properly before replying :D .... end of note :yes: ....

Social source share

:D .... you do know 4+4=5 in my house Steve :yes:   :yes: .... well that's my excuse mate apart from the fact I've been in "ale house" last 3 hours and it's taking me an age to type at the mo :D   :thumbup: ....

p.s. note to self.... read the f**** threads properly before replying :D .... end of note :D ....

link

No don't that was funny :D:D

Social source share

:D .... you do know 4+4=5 in my house Steve :yes:   :yes: .... well that's my excuse mate apart from the fact I've been in "ale house" last 3 hours and it's taking me an age to type at the mo :D   :thumbup: ....

p.s. note to self.... read the f**** threads properly before replying :D .... end of note :D ....

link

Stooped pi**ed i think is the Lincolnshire term :D

Social source share

John's got Jerry Naylor up on auction at the moment £339 (glad I beat a lot of you to Kennys sales list a few months ago)  :huh:

link

I didn't see your ears bleeding at Cleethorpes the other week :thumbup:

Social source share

Have only ever heard this played out by Denny Johnson and Terry Davis, brilliant record

link

Jimmy Eddleston often played at the Con Club in Lincoln 94ish - and also I think at early Wiltons before they drew the curtains across :thumbup:

Social source share

link

Had a heart stopping moment with my copy of Chapter 5 many years ago at a Mod weekender on the Isle of Wight.

Was DJing whilst p*ssed (not the norm for me.... :thumbup: ) and for some reason picked my copy up off the deck as it had just finished and threw it spinning into the air about 3 or 4 feet high....intending to catch it as it came back down (don't ask why I did this cus I honestly don't know !) :D

Anyway, didn't catch it, but watched horrified as it landed on it's edge, between my feet onto the carpet, and rolled under the decks and onto a full dancefloor. :yes:

Managed to fling music off in a nano second and shout 'Stand still, nobody move' to a bemused audience as it weaved its way, unharmed through countless legs and feet. : :yes:

Retrieved the bugger from said dancefloor, and returned it to the safety of my playbox, where it still sits today.

I have obviously never repeated this insane trick since...........though I do still get p*ssed occasionaly whilst DJing.... :huh:

Edited by Mace
Social source share

I know people who've sold through him... and I've purchased off the auction.....

I recently sent him some items, and he must have a rack of things to auction, cos thay ain't gone up yet....

If he was auctioning phantom records, then surely mine would have been up for sale earlier... after all 10% of my final price is better than bogger all....

WOOF!

link

I SENT HIM 20 RECORDS AND LIKE YOU STILL WAITING FOR THEM TO GO,

BUT MAJESTICS HE GOT £440 FOR ME :huh::yes::yes::thumbup:

Edited by keo
Social source share

I didn't see your ears bleeding at Cleethorpes the other week :yes:

link

Ear plug's :thumbup: I was ill just as the act came on and spent the rest of the do in the car sleeping :huh:

Social source share

I´ve known John since ´75 always has had top sounds to sell,not only that but always has loads of unknowns if you can be bothered to take the trouble to sit and search through,saves the time(and cost) of flying to the states!

Steve you've got it nailed on mate, loads of unknowns (well to me). I've picked up bundles of semi knowns and reasonably priced records from John Manship, never bothered with the auction, seems to be (as has already been mentioned) certain items go for strange prices. Still maintain with a bit of detective work either through lists or www and of course getting out and about and simply spending time looking at records, be it at nights/nighters or just visiting used record shops i can occasionally turn up things on my wanted list for the right price.

Brett

Social source share

Great idea. Can you find me a Chapter 5 please? He's got one on there at the moment.

Nail on the head. He does get hard to find records, if you have the cash why wait a year or more until another one comes up?

And you know that if it says mint it's going to be just that.

link

Why is this record so highly regarded? Is it a "Mod" sound? They sound white to me.

With regard to finding records - surely now as a result of THE AUCTION the records to a certain extent find him - many people have admitted to sending him stuff to auction - causing quite a backlog of desirable records waiting their place in the sun. Makes you wonder - when a particular record comes up for auction how many further copies are waiting for the underbidders? Or perhaps I'm being overly cynical.

Those with the money obviously get what they want - this is life, not just record collecting. But it just takes the fun out of it. Ferreting about either on the internet or in shops is part and parcel of the whole experience as far as I'm concerned.

Re. Manship & condition. In my experience: Mint - Fine, Mint Minus - OK(ish), Anything else: Caveat Emptor.

Social source share

Why is this record so highly regarded? Is it a "Mod" sound? They sound white to me.

link

Just one of those white sounds played on the Northern scene years ago. The band are from Barrow In Furness apparently and also recorded a substandard version of One In A Million.

BTW anyone know what the Tiffanies went for? I nearly put one on ebay last year, but thought it probably wouldn't reach what I would want for it.

Paul

Social source share

Had a heart stopping moment with my copy of Chapter 5 many years ago at a Mod weekender on the Isle of Wight.

Was DJing whilst p*ssed (not the norm for me.... rolleyes.gif ) and for some reason picked my copy up off the deck as it had just finished and threw it spinning into the air about 3 or 4 feet high....intending to catch it as it came back down (don't ask why I did this cus I honestly don't know !)  :hypo:

Anyway, didn't catch it, but watched horrified as it landed on it's edge, between my feet onto the carpet, and rolled under the decks and onto a full dancefloor. :hypo:

Managed to fling music off in a nano second and shout 'Stand still, nobody move' to a bemused audience as it weaved its way, unharmed through countless legs and feet.  : :thumbsup:  

Retrieved the bugger from said dancefloor, and returned it to the safety of my playbox, where it still sits today.

I have obviously never repeated this insane trick since...........though I do still get p*ssed occasionaly whilst DJing.... :thumbsup:

link

Did the same thing at a youth club in the early 73 when I spun the record in the air, my seat tipped back, the record hit the floor and the chair leg came back down straight onto the vinyl. Fortunately it was only Bob Kuban "The Cheater" on UK Bell, but as a 14 year old I was pretty upset. I have got over it now.

Paul

Social source share

Probably because it's expensive  :thumbsup:   They are white and from Barrow In Furness  :yes::ohmy:   Shite IMO.

link

Chalky - that's a cynical view :yes: Surely people on the scene buy records for quality reasons rather than their rarity. I'm amazed to hear that this may not always be the case! :yes: I think I've heard it all now - Detroit, Chicago, Memphis, New York, Cumbria!

Keep it real!

Social source share

Chalky - that's a cynical view :yes:   Surely people on the scene buy records for quality reasons rather than their rarity.  I'm amazed to hear that this may not always be the case! :yes: I think I've heard it all now - Detroit, Chicago, Memphis, New York, Cumbria!

Keep it real!

link

Me? cynical? :thumbsup: I've heard many a dj play shite records just because they are rare and expensive so by this I presume some records are just interesting to some because of the price tag :yes::ohmy:

Social source share

Chalky - that's a cynical view :ohmy:   Surely people on the scene buy records for quality reasons rather than their rarity.  I'm amazed to hear that this may not always be the case! :thumbsup: I think I've heard it all now - Detroit, Chicago, Memphis, New York, Cumbria!

Keep it real!

link

keep it real???????????????????

hi john

Edited by Hippo
Social source share

Me? cynical?  :thumbsup:   I've heard many a dj play shite records just because they are rare and expensive so by this I presume some records are just interesting to some because of the price tag  :yes:   :ohmy:

link

Maybe it's time for a new thread - The Emperor's New Clothes - A Top Ten Super Rare Soul Sounds that are in fact overrated rubbish - What the hell - I'm going to start one! Should be interesting to see the fur fly!

Social source share

How the hell does he do it Velvettes at £400+ and thats just one example :wicked:   :D

link

With an hour to go on this weeks auction, a Tobi Legend demo is already at £595.

Same bidder (who appears to buy a lot off John) is leading the John Bowie bidding at £315.

Social source share

Same bidder (who appears to buy a lot off John) is leading the John Bowie bidding at £315.

link

how odd

sure it's all above board though

Social source share

how odd

sure it's all above board though

link

Didn't mean it like that Dan. Meant a regular buyer. Also buys on Ebay

Steve

ps any other classy records to sell me ?

:D

Edited by BLADEFORLIFE
Social source share

Didn't mean it like that Dan. Meant a regular buyer. Also buys on Ebay 

Steve

ps any other classy records to sell me ?

:D

link

oops sorry steve

shouldn't drag you into my cynical world!

as for records, wish i had after your prompt payment last time. dream deal, my missus was able to go shopping at the weekend after all!

Social source share

oops sorry steve

shouldn't drag you into my cynical world!

as for records, wish i had after your prompt payment last time. dream deal, my missus was able to go shopping at the weekend after all!

link

Mine wasn't :D

Social source share

Jimmy Eddleston often played at the Con Club in Lincoln 94ish - and also I think at early Wiltons before they drew the curtains across :D

link

===================================================

Was played by myself at The Sounds of Soul do,s at Leigh Legion & Earlstown

Irish Club 88--92

IAN C

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!