Manship Auction Prices

• Replies 121
  • Views 11.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

How the hell does he do it Velvettes at £400+ and thats just one example :rolleyes:   whistling.gif

link

He puts stuff up for sale and then crazy people pay many times the normal price. It is the buyers (whoever they are) who are responsible, people with limited knowledge and lots of money I presume.

Edited by Guest
Social source share

How the hell does he do it Velvettes at £400+ and thats just one example :thumbsup:   :thumbsup:

link

How do you know that he does do it, how do you even know that the records are even there to be auctioned in the first place. What guarentee do you have that if the records are there, he doesn't just bump them up in price to make it look good and increase the price of the real records for sale. It's a good?? marketing ploy to include a load of good records on your auction to entice people to your site, to buy other records. I don't know anyone who has ever bought a record from his auction, do you???? (to be fair I don't know many people though :thumbsup: At least on Ebay and other real online auctions you can (usually) safely assume the record is there to be bought and that the highest bidder, that you can see, is the winner

Dazz the Unbeliever

Social source share

How do you know that he does do it, how do you even know that the records are even there to be auctioned in the first place. What guarentee do you have that if the records are there, he doesn't just bump them up in price to make it look good and increase the price of the real records for sale. It's a good?? marketing ploy to include a load of good records on your auction to entice people to your site, to buy other records.  I don't know anyone who has ever bought a record from his auction, do you???? (to be fair I don't know many people though :thumbsup:   At least on Ebay and other real online auctions you can (usually) safely assume the record is there to be bought and that the highest bidder, that you can see, is the winner

Dazz the Unbeliever

link

I know somebody who bought a 45 from his auction. I did Bull Bygones on Bell coz i couldn't find one anywhere else. Also sold a 45 through his auction got the money for it so somebody must have bought it.

Social source share

I know people who've sold through him... and I've purchased off the auction.....

I recently sent him some items, and he must have a rack of things to auction, cos thay ain't gone up yet....

If he was auctioning phantom records, then surely mine would have been up for sale earlier... after all 10% of my final price is better than bogger all....

WOOF!

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

cheap at half the price

now who wants to buy my two mint issues for £300 each

haha

the gasher

link

I blame you entirely for this one :thumbsup::( you've been banging on about it for so long now people must think it's not a ten pound record anymore :lol::lol::D:thumbsup:

great though it is someone was seen coming a mile off :thumbsup:

Social source share

Ans the final price was 686 pounds yes 686 POUNDS --BLOODY MADNESS----JO

link

Once again a £100 record goes for silly mone.y

I've said this before, if this is a valid auction result, there must be one person putting in a bid a few quid behind, because it's an auction that claims to use proxy bidding, like ebay. As we can't 'access' this person like ebay, you can't offer a similar record for their second place bid and see if they are for real. However, anyone can sign up to the auction and bid against the true bidder i.e. the same person with a thousand pseudonyms who could always be the second highest 'bidder' . The other strange thing is that, like the Silouettes this week (~£1100), the winning bid always seems to be about 4X the 'set sale' value of the record.

If the second place bidder is reading this, you can have my rarer black issue (vg+) for £670!

Social source share

How do you know that he does do it, how do you even know that the records are even there to be auctioned in the first place. What guarentee do you have that if the records are there, he doesn't just bump them up in price to make it look good and increase the price of the real records for sale. It's a good?? marketing ploy to include a load of good records on your auction to entice people to your site, to buy other records.  I don't know anyone who has ever bought a record from his auction, do you???? (to be fair I don't know many people though :lol:   At least on Ebay and other real online auctions you can (usually) safely assume the record is there to be bought and that the highest bidder, that you can see, is the winner

Dazz the Unbeliever

link

Dazz,

I know people who have placed records with him for auction (infact just sent him one my self) and they have received their money from him. John Manship gets a lot of stick on the scene but i've had no problems with him in 20 years either buying or selling.

Blame the people who pay the huge amounts.

E-bay's far from perfect with some sellers getting their mates to bid for their items to push the prices up.

Derek

Social source share

Dazz,

I know people who have placed records with him for auction (infact just sent him one my self) and they have received their money from him. John Manship gets a lot of stick on the scene but i've had no problems with him in 20 years either buying or selling.

Blame the people who pay the huge amounts.

E-bay's far from perfect with some sellers getting their mates to bid for their items to push the prices up.

Derek

link

===============

here here

ive been buying from john since i was 16...

top man in my book

always talks to you,,asks how u are and what im collecting at the mo

Social source share

The auctions are definitely real, and there are definitely at least two people bidding against each other. The scary thing IMO is that someone actually pays these prices. It has long been something of a joke but it seems that now (at least to some people) "£1000 is the new £100". Things like Willie Hightower for £300+ is truly a joke (not to mention Brown Sugar for £600, ouch...). There was a mint copy of Willie Hightower on ebay that I bid on (to sell on) but I lost, the end price was £20, and it was exactly one week ago! How can a £15 record on a major label go from £15 to £300+ in a few months time? £15 to £50 yeah maybe if people are desperate, but £15 to £300+?! :lol: Who are these people? Someone MUST know them, or even be them!

Social source share

I can guarantee you that 99% of the people responsible for all the craziest prices ARE indeed UK residents. Watch ebay and the morons paying thousands for Bill Bush etc. and they are always in the UK with very few exceptions.

Social source share

===============

here here

top man in my book

link

Second that!!and he allways give you decent prices when buying,dont have go through loads of fucking about,though not sold anything to him for ages now.

Social source share

I can guarantee you that 99% of the people responsible for all the craziest prices ARE indeed UK residents. Watch ebay and the morons paying thousands for Bill Bush etc. and they are always in the UK with very few exceptions.

link

er, 99% of people into this 'Northern' bollocks, in whatever way, are probably UK residents, like fish n' chips, football hooligans, xenophobia, we invented it!

Social source share

Who are these people? Someone MUST know them, or even be them!

link

Modern day Howard Hughes into Northern? Obviously not UK residents as they could get out and look through a few record boxes and see the current going rates. Never recieved a list from one of the major dealers in the last twenty years. Have WWW access, but no email accounts as they don't get any current list emailed to them. Have been to every do from Va Va's to Plinstone, to have bought into every 'in demand, world-wide floor filling, missing from top collector's boxes, next monster, current sleeper' sound...............

link

Social source share

The reality is that there are loads of genuine and serious soul collectors who , for very good reasons such as work or family , have a reasonably large income but neither the time nor inclination to go trawling through ebay lists or websites or spending hours going to record shops or record fairs or sorting through 1000's of records in warehouses BUT regard Mr Manships site as a very simple easy safe accessible and convenient way to buy rare soul records..............

Social source share

The reality is that there are loads of genuine and serious soul collectors who ,  for very good reasons such as work or family  ,    have a reasonably large income but neither the time nor inclination to go trawling through ebay lists or websites or spending hours going to record shops or record fairs or sorting through 1000's of records in warehouses BUT regard Mr Manships site as a very simple easy safe accessible and convenient way to buy rare soul records..............

link

ovenchip i love you

Social source share

===============

here here

top man in my book

link

John`s never done much wrong in my book either. His records may seem more expensive but his service has always been quick and reliable. And the grading of his stuff is accurate.If he states anything`s mint-you can be sure it is. And I don`t mind paying a little extra if everything`s right...But he has done a few things wrong in my book..like selling that cottonpickin` price guide to the Americans..and ruining it for us over here...Would we have all these attempted scams by Americans on eBay for records that don`t exist otherwise? No of course not..We`d still be buying records from the States (like my avatar) for next to nothing instead of for thousands.....Our buddies from the States are ready for us now...... :lol::lol:

Social source share

Guest the dukester

Ans the final price was 686 pounds yes 686 POUNDS --BLOODY MADNESS----JO

link

SIMPLE, ITS DOWN TO 2 PEOPLE WHO WANT THAT PARTICULAR RECORD ISNT IT? I FOR ONE THINK THE WAY HE RUNS THE AUCTION IS VERY FAIR, BID IN THE LAST 5 MINUTES AND IT EXTENDS THE AUCTION BY 5 MINUTES, GIVING YOU TIME TO THINK ABOUT BIDDING AGAIN, COME ON, THE MANS GOT A GOOD HEAD FOR BUSINESS HASNT HE? ITS YOUR MONEY, YOU SPEND IT HOW YOU WANT, NO ONE IS PUTTING A GUN TO YOUR HEAD. I HAVE BOUGHT RECORDS FROM HIS AUCTION AND HAD RECORDS ON HIS AUCTION, MONEY HAS ALWAYS BEEN PAID STRAIGHT AWAY. PEOPLE ALWAYS GO ON ABOUT HIS PRICE GUIDE, DONT FORGET, ITS ONLY A GUIDE, NOT CAST IN STONE, A RECORD IS ONLY WORTH AS MUCH AS YOU ARE WILLING TO PAY.

ISNT THERE MORE DISHONEST PEOPLE OUT THERE IN E BAY LAND :lol: ???

WHY DO MOST PEOPLE QUOTE "MANSHIPS SITE" WHEN SELLING A RECORD???

THE GUY KNOWS HIS STUFF :lol:

Edited by the dukester
Social source share

The reality is that there are loads of genuine and serious soul collectors who ,  for very good reasons such as work or family  ,    have a reasonably large income but neither the time nor inclination to go trawling through ebay lists or websites or spending hours going to record shops or record fairs or sorting through 1000's of records in warehouses BUT regard Mr Manships site as a very simple easy safe accessible and convenient way to buy rare soul records..............

link

I agree in a way and I have personally always been treated well by John and had some good records off him, and quite cheap too sometimes! Someone who pays £335 for Willie Hightower is NOT a genuine and serious collector though, such a person is a moron, or more like a raving madman. Genuine and serious collectors usually have a good idea of things rarity and so on, if not they are not genuine and serious collectors, simple as that. Genuine and serious collectors do NOT pay hundreds and hundreds for common records on major labels that have always been £15 up until a fortnight ago. Genuine and serious collectors, give us a break. :lol:

Social source share

I blame these want a be djs,some re-mortgageing there houses getting thousands of pounds and just going mental and buying anything and everything.And Manship will gladly take there cash of them and in a couple of years time buy them back at a quarter of the price very good business management in my book.

I myself think it's a lazy way of collecting i like the chase trying to find that little piece of black plastic for only a few $$$ then sending it to Manship and watch the mug's buying it or taking to night's were they are djing and happily taking the green of them. LOVE IT :lol::lol::lol:

Social source share

such a person is a moron, or more like a raving madman.

Don't pull your punches Christian :lol: I do like the cut of your dismissive gib!!! There is a certain beauty in the way that some non UK english speaking people phrase things - sometimes it is brutal and may be lost in translation, but it bloody tickles me!!! :lol:

Social source share

I know a man who just paid 3K for it??? :lol:

the gasher :lol:

link

I thought it would fetch £2500. I had bid on it but got stuck in a meeting at work and missed the end. Would have paid more than £1485, but of course you don't know what the eventual winner would have gone too.

A bargain methinks !

Edited by BLADEFORLIFE
Social source share

Don't pull your punches Christian  :lol: I do like the cut of your dismissive gib!!! There is a certain beauty in the way that some non UK english speaking people phrase things - sometimes it is brutal and may be lost in translation, but it bloody tickles me!!!  :lol:

link

Well it's the truth is it not? The truth is often brutal. There is no justification of any kind for paying £335 for a relatively common record on a major label that was recently (like a week ago) a £15 - £20 record is there? If you are the Sultan of Brunei or something and got into this northern thing a couple of weeks ago and on a whim decide at breakfast that "I gotta have that Willie Hightower" and then pay £335 later that day, OK, I can understand that since nothing you do will drastically decrease your fortune anyway, but there are not too many sultans into northern are there? It is the sheep herd mentality that strikes again. :lol: "Oh what's this hot new sound, gotta have that and play out, never mind what it costs, bah, bahhh..". Same thing with Gayle Adams etc. Still it's not all bad this craze, the good thing is that there is easy money to be made on todays fluctuations, money that can be spent on good records.

Social source share

Still it's not all bad this craze, the good thing is that there is easy money to be made on todays fluctuations, money that can be spent on good records.

link

Thought you only bought good records anyway Christian ? whistling.gif

Steve

Social source share

Thought you only bought good records anyway Christian ?  whistling.gif

Steve

link

I buy bad records occasionally, I buy all sorts really, but for myself I only keep things that I consider good. Willie Hightower is a pretty decent record, but so is JJ Barnes "Please Let Me In" but that is still no reason paying £250 for it, which would be just as crazy.

Social source share

Guest Awake 502

How do you know that he does do it, how do you even know that the records are even there to be auctioned in the first place. What guarentee do you have that if the records are there, he doesn't just bump them up in price to make it look good and increase the price of the real records for sale. It's a good?? marketing ploy to include a load of good records on your auction to entice people to your site, to buy other records.  I don't know anyone who has ever bought a record from his auction, do you???? (to be fair I don't know many people though whistling.gif   At least on Ebay and other real online auctions you can (usually) safely assume the record is there to be bought and that the highest bidder, that you can see, is the winner

Dazz the Unbeliever

link

He has sold a few things for me at auction and I have always been 100% satisfied with the service he has given me. Why should I risk putting things on Ebay when they generally sell for less money ?

Social source share

How do you know that he does do it, how do you even know that the records are even there to be auctioned in the first place. What guarentee do you have that if the records are there, he doesn't just bump them up in price to make it look good and increase the price of the real records for sale. It's a good?? marketing ploy to include a load of good records on your auction to entice people to your site, to buy other records.  I don't know anyone who has ever bought a record from his auction, do you???? (to be fair I don't know many people though :)   At least on Ebay and other real online auctions you can (usually) safely assume the record is there to be bought and that the highest bidder, that you can see, is the winner

Dazz the Unbeliever

link

er, I don't think he has to bump the prices up mate when people are chucking money at him - and I especially love it when they're throwing money when he's selling them for me. In fact, I'd hazard a guess that a high percentage that he auctions are not his own records. He probably makes enough cash elsewhere - the last time I was there checking through the thousands of obscurities he's got some bloke asked him how much discount he'd give him if he spent 15 grand - and would the discount go up incrementally if he spent 20, 25 or 30 :excl:

Seems strange that folk will spend their inheritance in 6 months on vinyl then moan when they have to send their kids to Uni :shhh:

Social source share

It seems every Manship auction end we get this type of post. Perhaps it's time to move on.

Yes, I agree that the closing bids are ludicrous, but that's the Rare Soul scene for you. People like to spend more money on records than they're worth - it's what the scene has mostly been about, really. Why buy a record cheaply when you can pay through the nose for it and impress your mates!

Are these auction records REALLY worth what people are paying for them? No. Are they even worth what the average Rare Soul fan is willing to pay for them? Probably not.

Everyone seems to be happy enough about these auctions - from the idiots paying top dollar for records that are (relatively) easy to get elsewhere to Manship and the people who send the stuff in for him to auction. Even down to Soul Sourcers moaning about them!

Fair play to Mr Manship: he's always been very reasonable with regard to trades etc. If there's ever been a record that I've really wanted, he either has it, or knows where one can be had. Bear in mind that as a business he has to pay wages, VAT, etc. so can't really compete on price with the 50 count box man selling some spares at a do.

Do what I do - don't bid and find them elsewhere for a lot less.

Edited by sweeney
Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Obviously there are the many aberations on John's auctions but people quickly forget that there are plenty of records that sell for the current market value and in some cases less on the same auctions. Surely it's a case of you pays your money and you makes your choice when it comes to the Manship Lotto not all are destined to sky rocket :shhh:

Social source share

Always had good service from John for over 20 years, and in fact if you dig around in his catalogue there are still some nice bits to be found. Buy for tomorrow NOT yesterday is my motto. Too much competition for the medium rare oldies nowadays from the returnee wannabee DJ crowd.

As far as some of the astronomical prices are concerned. All sorts bid on his auctions. Loads on here have admitted it to it in one breath and then "complain" about someone else doing it a week later! :lol: . And if you want to sell something, loads of people go scuttering off to John's hoping to make a killing. You can't have it both ways can you? ph34r.gif

VelVets on 20th Century Fox at 450 quid! :lol: Scary stuff indeed! But rekkid collections are like the stock market, they are only worth what you sell them for. If you don't sell then they become valueless in monetary terms. Therefore my 30 year collection is worth absoulutely NOTHING. And that's just the way I like it!! :lol::lol::lol:

Regards,

Dave

www.hitsvillesoulclub.com

Social source share

Always had good service from John for over 20 years, and in fact if you dig around in his catalogue there are still some nice bits to be found. Buy for tomorrow NOT yesterday is my motto. Too much competition for the medium rare oldies nowadays from the returnee wannabee DJ crowd.

As far as some of the astronomical prices are concerned. All sorts bid on his auctions. Loads on here have admitted it to it in one breath and then "complain" about someone else doing it a week later!  :lol: . And if you want to sell something, loads of people go scuttering off to John's hoping to make a killing. You can't have it both ways can you?  ph34r.gif

Dave

www.hitsvillesoulclub.com

link

Well, I've just rejoined the list after a lengthy abscence...don't get 'round to posting much, as all my free time is spent tracking / looking for records.

I've met John at several big USA record shows, he has even bought from me (and always inquires for a discount on his pile :lol: . Haven't seen him tho in quite some time. He always says if I want to 'blow out' my rare northerns he would get me top price, better than eBay.

Just had to pay taxes on my eBay auctions for the past year, 2200 USD, but that was due to the nutty prices paid by your fellow UK wax hoarders - $661 for Little Joe Cook on original Two-Jay :lol: $500+ for Harry Starr on End, and a few others, not-so-rare but achieved astonishing prices. All I can say is that I love Ebay! Wonder what my M- /EX+ copy of Al Williams on Palmer would bring nowadays? The mind boggles.

Wish I could buy more stuff from my fave dealers in the UK but our dollar is weaker than a beat up copy of Danny Moore....

USA Mike

Social source share

I myself have gotten some fair trades with John. I was actually surprised at the prices I got. He's the soul scenes whipping boy, or so it seems. Have to give him credit for not resorting to petty retaliation, though. Like some other big names on the scene have done. :ohmy:

Edited by recordwanted
Social source share

Guest Andy BB

Do what I do - don't bid and find them elsewhere for a lot less.

link

Great idea. Can you find me a Chapter 5 please? He's got one on there at the moment.

Nail on the head. He does get hard to find records, if you have the cash why wait a year or more until another one comes up?

And you know that if it says mint it's going to be just that.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert