• Views 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest mark shepherd

i'd hazard a guess at anywhere between £800 and £1200 shep :thumbup:

is this an auction estimate or a sale on here estimate ?

and can anyone post the willie 45

thanks, shep

Social source share

Guest wrighty

is this an auction estimate or a sale on here estimate ?

and can anyone post the willie 45

thanks, shep

i was talking about the final auction price on manship shep...if it was ebay i'd put the price a bit lower but it seems the exchange rate is coming into play these days :thumbup:

and for the record i'm firmly in the flores corner :thumbup:

Edited by wrighty
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

i was talking about the final auction price on manship shep...if it was ebay i'd put the price a bit lower but it seems the exchange rate is coming into play these days :lol:

and for the record i'm firmly in the flores corner :D

probably be double lol :)laugh.gif

Social source share

Both versions are storming up tempo West coast Northern. The Little Willie faulk version credits the writer as George flores. Both demos & Issues exist of the R.F. version, but there only appears to be Issues of the L.W.F which is rarer. Record wise there's not a lot between them, both superb records in their own right.

Best regards Ritchie. thumbsup.gif

Social source share

There's a delta number in the Ree Flores deadwax for June 1969. There's not a delta number on the Little Willie Faulk.

You know I can't help thinking the reason for the two versions was the records were being aimed at two seperate markets. Flores is a popular Chicano name, so probably was being aimed at the growing Mexican population in California.

The 'A' side of the L.W.F. is a real nice sweet soul side. Can't be 100% sure, but he sounds black to me. Perhaps this was being aimed at the black listeners? I'm only guessing. But both versions of "Look into my heart" are great.

There's two different label designs on L.W.F. One with the address & one without.

Can anyone post a scan of the demo of Ree Flores? please.

Edited by pottsy
Social source share

i know we;ve all done it but I sold my Ree Flores copy to Kev Draper for £35...he even knocked me down from the £40 asking price suggesting I could have dib in his little bag all night foc...not sure what that was all about.. :rolleyes:

Thing is Paul, as you'll probably remember, the Ree Flores isn't a rare record. Where on earth has all this £800, £1000, etc. come from? That's just crazy :thumbup:

Social source share

Thing is Paul, as you'll probably remember, the Ree Flores isn't a rare record. Where on earth has all this £800, £1000, etc. come from? That's just crazy :rolleyes:

Not a rare record only if one classifies also Jackey Beavers/Revilot as "not a rare" record though... in few collections ? Yes. Indemand ? Yes. For sale ? Very, very, very seldomly...

Social source share

so what do you rate Jackey Beavers/Revilot at?

Well, for as long as I can remember I haven`t seen a Ree Flores at Anglo`s or JM`s for sale. At least I can not remember having seen them and JM tells in his description its the first he had for sale in a decade. I have seen maybe three in private sales and there`s only one shown via popsike (2005..)...

On the other hand I must have seen about up to 15 (its eleven alone on pospike) copies of JBs/Revilot in the last 4-5 years. So to answer your question I will pretty much stick with the price quotations from popsike on that one and would say about 1250+ UKP depending on condition etc. Maybe a bit less these days because of credit crunch etc.

So it roughly sits where I would put Ree Flores value wise these days. The same price for a record you see way less often for sale compared to Jackey Beavers should be somehow about right. Especially as one -Jackey Beavers- is a (fantastic) oldie whereas the other one -Ree Flores- is an oldie but one with a with a current revival ?

Marc

Edited by Marc Forrest
Social source share

Well, for as long as I can remember I haven`t seen a Ree Flores at Anglo`s or JM`s for sale. At least I can not remember having seen them and JM tells in his description its the first he had for sale in a decade. I have seen maybe three in private sales and there`s only one shown via popsike (2005..)...

On the other hand I must have seen about up to 15 (its eleven alone on pospike) copies of JBs/Revilot in the last 4-5 years. So to answer your question I will pretty much stick with the price quotations from popsike on that one and would say about 1250+ UKP depending on condition etc. Maybe a bit less these days because of credit crunch etc.

So it roughly sits where I would put Ree Flores value wise these days. The same price for a record you see much much much more seldomly up for sale compared to Jackey Beavers is should be somehow about right. Especially as one -Jackey Beavers- is a (fantastic) oldie whereas the other one -Ree Flores- is an oldie but one with a with a current revival ?

Marc

thanks, anyone want a copy for £1500 UK£

Social source share

About 7 to 8 years ago Ree Flores used to by around the £40-£50 range, should place it about £120 now. Its like a lot of them good records, all in collections and not available.

would agree with you andy...i know we found quite a few about 10 years ago....took quite a while to shift them all...

what crazy price did it eventually go for? :D

Social source share

I first heard Ree Flores on a Manship sales tape late 70,s ( also had inspirations no one can take your place, virginia blakeley - let no.... and an instrumental of Jackie wilson - who who song, also the Blues busters - I believe.... I fell in love with all the tunes on the tape and eventually got Ree Flores off Mr Manship a few years later . I still have it and have been playing it out for years.

I have heard the Willie Faulk version before at a soul night back in the UK . But i have just listened to chalky's clip of it and it blew me away. Far more polished than Ree Flores, any information on the two guys?

Ps

any chance some kind soul can send me a mp3 of it ? :thumbsup:

also any info on the who who song instrumental , has been bugging me for years ?

TIA

Pete Morgan

Social source share

About 7 to 8 years ago Ree Flores used to by around the £40-£50 range, should place it about £120 now. Its like a lot of them good records, all in collections and not available.

7 years ago Irish Greg already advertised his copy at 1200 UKP...so the price tag of 50 UKP must be a bit older ? Anyway, even records like Otis Lee were 50 UKP once...and loads of other 45s that have seen an incrdeible price hike inbetween the last ten years.

Marc

Social source share

in the 90s i saw about 2 dozen copies of ree flores for sale snapping one up myself. but i never saw a copy of little willie faulk. i only knew that by the likes of ted massey playing it. JM says its ten years since he had a copy of RF. but in 2002 john gave me £400 for it which was a good price and i only sold it because i thought

it will never go any higher in a million years :lol: . obviously he sold it quickly for a profit

dave

Social source share

in the 90s i saw about 2 dozen copies of ree flores for sale snapping one up myself. but i never saw a copy of little willie faulk. i only knew that by the likes of ted massey playing it. JM says its ten years since he had a copy of RF. but in 2002 john gave me £400 for it which was a good price and i only sold it because i thought

it will never go any higher in a million years :wicked: . obviously he sold it quickly for a profit

dave

Big Dave,

2002? Think it must have been before that, I always check my database before making comments on rarity (more to the point, unavailabilty) my file on Ree Flores says we haven't sold a copy in the last 9 years (the length of time we have been keeping the data on every sale).

So either I moved it on without listing it (that's possible) or I filed it straight into my collection, also possible. But I don't think we've listed it for auction or set-sale for a decade or maybe even more...

It has always been a very sought-after 45, even though I've occasionally found it on the West Coast during the 70s & 80s and one in Bob Pegg's junk 45s in the 90s for a $1.00, but that was the last copy I personally unearthed.

John

Social source share

Big Dave,

2002? Think it must have been before that, I always check my database before making comments on rarity (more to the point, unavailabilty) my file on Ree Flores says we haven't sold a copy in the last 9 years (the length of time we have been keeping the data on every sale).

So either I moved it on without listing it (that's possible) or I filed it straight into my collection, also possible. But I don't think we've listed it for auction or set-sale for a decade or maybe even more...

It has always been a very sought-after 45, even though I've occasionally found it on the West Coast during the 70s & 80s and one in Bob Pegg's junk 45s in the 90s for a $1.00, but that was the last copy I personally unearthed.

John

Its true i dont recall it being listed an i did look vigorously. probably had a buyer john. what i do know is that i wish id never sold it :ohmy:

but when you chop and change..............

Social source share

it will never go any higher in a million years :g: . obviously he sold it quickly for a profit

dave

hi dave looks like you made a tidy profit :ohmy: .....i'm assuming thats the one i flogged you for 200 quid

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

l know i'll get slated for this ,but back in the 70's every time l looked in a record box there was a copy of this tune for sale......maybe l was just looking in the same box............anyway what the f**k do l know about this stuff :ohmy: tezza

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
Guest chorleybloke

I first heard Ree Flores on a Manship sales tape late 70,s ( also had inspirations no one can take your place, virginia blakeley - let no.... and an instrumental of Jackie wilson - who who song, also the Blues busters - I believe.... I fell in love with all the tunes on the tape and eventually got Ree Flores off Mr Manship a few years later . I still have it and have been playing it out for years.

TIA

Pete Morgan

Yes mate and you're to blame for it being top of my wants list, sounded fearsome when you played it at the Sydney National :thumbup: . Just seen it went for 1577 quid which pushed me down into 3rd place sad.gif . Hope you're well Pete

Cheers.........Pete

Social source share

last nights prices anyone?

Here you go Chalky....

Tempests - Would You Believe (Smash LP) - £231

Cross Bronx Expressway - Cross Bronx Expressway (Zells) - £63

The Ethics - I Want My Baby Back (Vent DJ) - £180

Beverley Ann - He's Coming Home (RCA DJ + picture postcode) £157

Benny Scott & The Soul Masters - No Other Woman But You (Mellow Town) - £301

Cavaliers - Hold To My Baby (RCA Acetate) - £158

Epsilons - Mind In A Bind (Hem) - £459

Johnny Rodgers & The Nu Tones - Make A Change (Amon) - £1861

Ree Flores - Look Into My Heart b/w Get Out Of My Life Woman (M&H) - £1577

Ike & Tina Turner - The Soul Of Ike & Tina Turner 4 Track EP (Sue PS) £146

Jimmy Helms - Romeo And Juliet (Pye UK) - £175

Vernon Garrett - If I Could Turn Back The Hands Of Time (Stateside UK DJ) - £76

Bernard Smith - Never Gonna Let You Go (Spectrum) - £359

The Age Of Bronze - I'm Gonna Love You (Guava) - £315

Lee David - Temptation Is Calling My Name (Columbia) - £173

Satintones - Angel (Motown) - £517

Edited by vaultofsouler
Social source share

Guest woolie mark

Know someone who got a copy about a year and a half ago at £600? Would of thought its still under a grand for a nice copy?

...and the person our friend bought it off got it the same day from browny for £350 joel

i agree that these £1k+ prices are mad

Social source share

• 1 year later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert