Twisted Oldies

Guest James Trouble

Guest James Trouble

Travis Wammack - 'Scratchy'

......oh yeah!

Woooooh! That's twisted, indeed! Nice one, Val!

Good call on Night Of The Wolf as well. Square peg in a round hole, it is! And the Deepfunk anthem, of course.

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

• Replies 278
  • Views 20.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest James Trouble

They don't come much more twisted than...

LIFE - CAT'S EYES

That's a scary record. I feel like a bit of a musical pervert liking that blush.gif

Social source share

They don't come much more twisted than...

LIFE - CAT'S EYES

I just thought of something that might give Cat's Eyes a run for its money. Googled it to see if I could find a pic and found one just about to finish on ebay - only being sold as a genuine surf record! Went for $71 too. Obscure Philly imprint my bum laugh.gif

Anyone remember this cover up? Easy one for me obviously as he's a family member...

post-1918-1237991551_thumb.png

Social source share

I just thought of something that might give Cat's Eyes a run for its money. Googled it to see if I could find a pic and found one just about to finish on ebay - only being sold as a genuine surf record! Went for $71 too. Obscure Philly imprint my bum laugh.gif

Anyone remember this cover up? Easy one for me obviously as he's a family member...

The Elephant Man ?

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Sorry, none of the above of those are 'utter pop shite'. They're all actually well crafted, very very good pop records.

You may not like them as 'Northern Soul', but Gary Lewis and Keith especially are superb examples of mid 60s American Pop and are worthy of ownership by anyone who collects that kind of music as well as soul (as I do).

There are plenty of genuine 'soul' records that the scene has embraced down the years that qualify for the "Utter Shite" category, as recorded works, before these do.

Over to you, Pete...

As you may have noticed I stated IMO. Ok, they may be well crafted pop records but IMO they were and still are utter shite that have never done anything for me. Personally I'm into the "sound" of soul by which I mean a black sound even if that comes from a white singer/group. Yes, there are plenty of utter shite 'soul' records as well, not disputing that.

Ones man's shite is another man's classic.

Edited by Dave Turner
Social source share

Guest Matt Male

I don't what is meant by twisted but pretty much everything on this thread was played in the clubs and youth clubs during my youth around 1978-1981 and to me it was and will always be what i think of as 'classic' northern soul. Maybe some need a play out again, lots have certainly not seen the light of day for a few years. I played Babe Ruth - Elusive out last year, i might even play it on Friday. Young white rock chick on the northern scene, maybe twisted but still classic northern. thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Gasoline powered Clock

via Keb or maybe Rushbrook biggrin.gif

One of the greatest band / track name combinations ever. "Forest Fire On Main Street" indeed. Unfortunately the record itself is a bit tame.

Just listened to Mel Stewart on Mercury again and have to say it would take a brave man to revive it: crashing DMX backing, novelty sound effects, dire lyrics and a poodle-rock guitar solo to top it off. Fortunately I don't have the facility to upload soundfiles.

Social source share

Ok seeing as no-one seems to remeber this one:

The most exciting group since The Beatles (it says here).

The Moons - Gammera The Invincible - Date. Known as "our Gammy" in the Godzilla household.

AKA The Sounds of Lane - Shing-A-Ling at the Go-Go and booted under that title on Mickey Mouse records. Keen Kaiju fans will noticed they've misspelled the name of the titular beastie adding an extra 'm'.

Weird thing is, as people's tastes have changed and we've all developed a better awareness of other types of music, I've seen this tune go from 'Northern Soul inst cover' up to 'novelty dancer' to 'an example of the kind of pop crap played' to 'actually a pretty good spy/surf 45' and now it's a titty shaker apparently ohmy.gif

Not bad for a a made up theme from a film about a prehistoric, fire breathing, jet propelled flying turtle!

Clip available if anyone actually wants one. I love it but can see it getting right up some folks' noses :(

post-1918-1237994090_thumb.jpg post-1918-1237995052_thumb.jpg

Edited by Godzilla
Social source share

Is it a bootleg of The Moons - Gammera - on DATE?

Sounds Of Lane - Hand of Soussan?

I remember a mate of mine acquiring it from Kettering market (1973?) with a few other boots. I played it on my discatron in a local pub and a Led Zep fan overheard it and loved it!

Social source share

Ok seeing as no-one seems to remeber this one:

The most exciting group since The Beatles (it says here).

The Moons - Gammera The Invincible - Date. Known as "our Gammy" in the Godzilla household.

AKA The Sounds of Lane - Shing-A-Ling at the Go-Go and booted under that title on Mickey Mouse records. Keen Kaiju fans will noticed they've misspelled the name of the titular beastie adding an extra 'm'.

Weird thing is, as people's tastes have changed and we've all developed a better awareness of other types of music, I've seen this tune go from 'Northern Soul inst cover' up to 'novelty dancer' to 'an example of the kind of pop crap played' to 'actually a pretty good spy/surf 45' and now it's a titty shaker apparently ohmy.gif

Not bad for a a made up theme from a film about a prehistoric, fire breathing, jet propelled flying turtle!

Clip available if anyone actually wants one. I love it but can see it getting right up some folks' noses :(

post-1918-1237994090_thumb.jpg post-1918-1237995052_thumb.jpg

If only I had typed faster!

Social source share

Is it a bootleg of The Moons - Gammera - on DATE?

Sounds Of Lane - Hand of Soussan?

I remember a mate of mine acquiring it from Kettering market (1973?) with a few other boots. I played it on my discatron in a local pub and a Led Zep fan overheard it and loved it!

Well done John. You'd have got a point if you hadn't posted your reply after I'd just given the answer wink.gif

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

As you may have noticed I stated IMO. Ok, they may be well crafted pop records but IMO they were and still are utter shite that have never done anything for me. Personally I'm into the "sound" of soul by which I mean a black sound even if that comes from a white singer/group. Yes, there are plenty of utter shite 'soul' records as well, not disputing that.

Ones man's shite is another man's classic.

Your IMO was a bit vague and the way I read it, it didn't directly refer to the 'utter pop shite'.

IMO... wicked.gif

One man's shite is another man's classic, indeed. But lots of records do nothing for me - hundreds of the buggers, in fact - that I would never call shite, just because I don't like 'em personally.

That James Blunt, he IS shite, though..... :(

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Paradox - Ring The Changes

Twisted is not the word. Quality northern soul perversion huh.gif

This thread is going great. Keep them coming...

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

One of the greatest band / track name combinations ever. "Forest Fire On Main Street" indeed. Unfortunately the record itself is a bit tame.

Just listened to Mel Stewart on Mercury again and have to say it would take a brave man to revive it: crashing DMX backing, novelty sound effects, dire lyrics and a poodle-rock guitar solo to top it off. Fortunately I don't have the facility to upload soundfiles.

Mel Stewart , Dave Thorley spin was it Gareth ?

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Your IMO was a bit vague and the way I read it, it didn't directly refer to the 'utter pop shite'.

IMO... wicked.gif

One man's shite is another man's classic, indeed. But lots of records do nothing for me - hundreds of the buggers, in fact - that I would never call shite, just because I don't like 'em personally.

That James Blunt, he IS shite, though..... yes.gif

I quite like him, well the missus does so I have to :(

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

´Sorry, but how can you? say traditional northern?...when these were first played there was no traditional northern ,so to speak they were amongst the ones that were played in the transitional period! when northern was northern and anything that made people get up and dance ..just did that!! and then came different styles!

Please don´t try and re-write history it doesn´t work :ohmy:

Steve..

Aye, when northern was northern, men were men, and a pint of bitter cost 10p.

Maybe read Gareth's first post on this thread.

"Levine maintains that Northern Soul was always a specific generic style of music (4/4 rhythm, soaring strings, predictable harmonic structure, 'lifestlye' lyrics) a revisionist manifesto to fit in with the kind of music he makes now. Such revisionism is completely ludicrous. "

This is a thread about odd ball northern soul records that don't fit into the archetypal motown sound alike mold. Twisted records, perverted stuff.

You could probably have a good ruck with Levine on his thread if you put that post on there :rolleyes:

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

James if you're after really twisted, perverted stuff, how about Eve of Eden's "Parade of a Bunch of Fools" I think I heard it maybe twice at the Ritz in the 70s and the horror of it sticks with me to this day. It has a kind of circus music intro, goes into something that sounds like a lo-fi Sylvester tune - then it's all down hill from there on!

No reason on earth why you should have heard it as I bet it never got played anywhere after it's brief experimental heyday. Anyone care to admit they've got a copy and fancy slinging it up? In fact would anyone confess to playing it, even if only once?

Anyone? :rolleyes:

Social source share

James if you're after really twisted, perverted stuff, how about Eve of Eden's "Parade of a Bunch of Fools" I think I heard it maybe twice at the Ritz in the 70s and the horror of it sticks with me to this day. It has a kind of circus music intro, goes into something that sounds like a lo-fi Sylvester tune - then it's all down hill from there on!

No reason on earth why you should have heard it as I bet it never got played anywhere after it's brief experimental heyday. Anyone care to admit they've got a copy and fancy slinging it up? In fact would anyone confess to playing it, even if only once?

It's on that Cleethorpes tape (twice!) - truly abysmal and scary

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

I just had a listen to that on the internet. That's pretty twisted. Not in a good way though :ohmy:

Social source share

babe Ruth "Elusive"

Ted Casidy "The Lurch" :ohmy:

(although I love the babe Ruth )

Rob

laugh.gif:shhh::)

Always smiled at the Ted Cassidy, played it indoors not too long ago..........didn't make it to the end! Maybe I'll try again at Brid. :rolleyes:

World Column - So Is The Sun

Cartoon Candy Carnival - Mickey Mouse Concerto

High Voltage - Country Road

Anyone remember an instrumental called Apollo 11 or something similar?

John.

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

:ohmy:laugh.gif:shhh:

Always smiled at the Ted Cassidy, played it indoors not too long ago..........didn't make it to the end! Maybe I'll try again at Brid. :rolleyes:

World Column - So Is The Sun

Cartoon Candy Carnival - Mickey Mouse Concerto

High Voltage - Country Road

Anyone remember an instrumental called Apollo 11 or something similar?

John.

High Voltage is a good twister. I was playing that at the Essex Weekender in September when some cant came up to the decks and started ranting and raving about "get that off and play some northern soul" :)

Social source share

alfie davison,love is serious business

reggie garner,hot-line

three degrees,contact

pointer sisters,send him back

benny troy,i wanna give you tomorrow

zz+co,getting ready for the get down

tavares,dont take away the music

betty wright,where is the love, :rolleyes::ohmy:

Social source share

Records that are oldies but are not really "northern soul" in the traditional sense of the word.

For example:

Case Of Thyme - Manifesto

The Crow - Autumn Of Your Tomorrow

Seventh Wonder - Captain Of My Ship

Willie J & Co - Boogie With Your Baby

Frankie Crocker - Ton Of Dynamite

Get the idea?

Haven't read all the threads so forgive me if it's been said already but isnt every Northern Soul record a 'twisted' oldie cause they were not made within a, or for a Northern Soul market or genre. We took records from various genre and made them 'ours' by playing them at our 'temples'.

Maybe the only true Northern Soul records are those specifically cut by certain Djs back in the day, like Nosmo King, Goodbye Nothing To Say, The Exciters, Reaching For The Best. Now these were made for the N/S scene.

Frankie Crocker not N/Soul :rolleyes:

Chris

Edited by bridget
Social source share

Maybe the only true Northern Soul records are those specifically cut by certain Djs back in the day, like Nosmo King, Goodbye Nothing To Say, The Exciters, Reaching For The Best. Now these were made for the N/S scene.

You are Ian Levine and I claim my £5 prize.

Social source share

Isn't this just a list of tunes played at Cleethorpes? :rolleyes:

Never went to Cleethorpes..............and even though I heard them at Wigan, these will always be Ritz records for me :ohmy:

Were they broken at Cleethorpes first or played at both venues at the same time?

Like others have said, I would love to hear this style of music getting plays again.

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Never went to Cleethorpes..............and even though I heard them at Wigan, these will always be Ritz records for me :lol:

Were they broken at Cleethorpes first or played at both venues at the same time?

Like others have said, I would love to hear this style of music getting plays again.

I'm planning on playing lots of 'twisted' sounds at the forth coming Marrs Bar allnighter (including twisted newies for those bored with the oldies), Bank Holiday Sunday, April 12th. There's also a 'new' allnighter starting at The Marrs Bar called "Ton Of Dynamite" the following month I think, which I believe will feature off the wall, leftfield sounds.

I don't have the details, maybe the promoters are about to fill everyone in?

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

Guest Matt Male

I'd like to hear them out as well although i'm less certain about someone coming along and reactivating them all and claiming they've discovered a whole new sub-genre of northern :lol:

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

I'd like to hear them out as well although i'm less certain about someone coming along and reactivating them all and claiming they've discovered a whole new sub-genre of northern :lol:

There's a funk collector, Nick Cope, who started a party called "Weird Gear". It's a pretty fitting term for some of the stuff being put up on this thread :lol:

A twisted weird gear northern newie: The Fads - My Poor Heart

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

Human Jungle - The Fugitives

Gettin' On Life - Wombat

The First Shot - Phase 11

It Could Have Been You - David Lenyard & The Family Tree

We Got Togetherness - The Jewells

Six O'Clock - The Total Eclipses

What Can I Say - Watson T. Browne

The Zoo (The Human Zoo) - The Commodores

Psychedelic Soul - Saxie Russell

Light My Fire - MBP Mix

Purple Haze - Johnny Jones & The King Casuals

Black Is Black - Lord Sitar

There's zillions........if only I could remember 'em........

Ian D :lol:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert