Reggae Got Soul?

You've got to be kidding. Forget how many times you've heard it, it's one of the greatest ska instrumentals ever, played by the greatest band ever (The Skatalites), a 100% bona fide classic and it pisses on that Double Barrel vocal rubbish every time

Not a big fan of instrumental, my feet don't work if I cant sing to it :yes::D:lol::thumbup:

I wasn't really knocking it, I dont care if the odd ska track is put on at the end of the night, I don't moan about modern soul being played and I don't even like much of it so people shouldn't moan about 2 1/5 mins at the end of what, knowing Sean, was a floor filling set and didn'[t the original poster say he was suprised to see people dancing to it....................I think there's your answer most people don't mind it's just the odd chin stroker or oldies fan that gets uptight.

QoFxx

Edited by chrissie
Social source share

Not a big fan of instrumental, my feet don't work if I cant sing to it :yes::D:lol::thumbup:

I wasn't really knocking it, I dont care if the odd ska track is put on at the end of the night, I don't moan about modern soul being played and I don't even like much of it so people shouldn't moan about 2.5 mins at the end of what, knowing Sean, was a floor filling set and didn'[t the original poster say he was suprised to see people dancing to it....................I think there's your answer most people don't mind it's just the odd chin stroker or oldies fan that gets uptight.

QoFxx

Seans set was great, but my suprise comes the fact I just wouldnt have a clue how to dance to this at a nighter, reggae rhythms dont move me in the same way as soul funk or latin, which are rhythmically linked IMHO. Its not the quality or quantity of soul I'm really questiong but its suitability for a northern dance event.

Social source share

Seans set was great, but my suprise comes the fact I just wouldnt have a clue how to dance to this at a nighter, reggae rhythms dont move me in the same way as soul funk or latin, which are rhythmically linked IMHO. Its not the quality or quantity of soul I'm really questiong but its suitability for a northern dance event.

The reggae rhythm is just totally alien to Northern dancers. Ska is quite easy to adapt to, but not reggae.

Social source share

It was I beleive, the last record of the night so is that such a big deal, had he played it smack bang in the middle of his set even I would of questioned it. There were plenty dancing to it at Wellingborough.

Many of us older folks started our soul journey via the skinhead scene, for me in about 1971/2 and SKA was as much part of our music as motown was.

QoFxx

QoFx

Edited by chrissie
Social source share

Guest Bearsy

I know but I can't afford it till middle of next month and need it for the 3rd for my do, so I will just have to go without it this year. Mind you it would be good, if even just to upset bearsy :D:thumbup::hatsoff2::P

QoFxx

thank god for that :lol: Chrissie i love reggae, ska, two tone, blue beat, trojon etc etc etc BUT this is neither it sounds like a mash up to me, great voice and great beat but its not like beans on toast now is it :no: its more like apple crumble and gravy :yes: the funniest thing about it all is that soulies will dance to this but wont dance to real 60s soul that they dont know :rofl: strange old world and look forward to playing my Sex Pistols - Friggin in the riggin as a last rtecord somehwere soon :lol:

see you next week Chrissie :hatsoff2:

Social source share

thank god for that :lol: Chrissie i love reggae, ska, two tone, blue beat, trojon etc etc etc BUT this is neither it sounds like a mash up to me, great voice and great beat but its not like beans on toast now is it :no: its more like apple crumble and gravy :yes: the funniest thing about it all is that soulies will dance to this but wont dance to real 60s soul that they dont know :rofl: strange old world and look forward to playing my Sex Pistols - Friggin in the riggin as a last rtecord somehwere soon :lol:

see you next week Chrissie :hatsoff2:

Thats cos it IS a tailor made, Jeezus I posted that track up on here about 5 years ago, all of a sudden it's the new dogs b*llocks

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Thats cos it IS a tailor made, Jeezus I posted that track up on here about 5 years ago, all of a sudden it's the new dogs b*llocks

Hi Pete i think you got me mistaken with someone else, ive been called many a thing in my time but not Him form above :rofl:

ps, its not the dogs but its defo bolox :lol:

Social source share

I've got it on CD.

These ATB nights are missing a trick here. I'd rather wind up ma waist to this than some godawful 70's dross like Drifters or Jimmy James.

This is nice too

ROD

Been on more or less every rocksteady podcast I've ever done - this version is unreleased on a 45, the released version has a really obtrusive guitar all over it and is horrible, this one is just one of the best records ever made.

Social source share

using this thread for a shameless and blatant bump for our upcoming third edition of Berlin`s big New Years eve weekender Reggae!Steady!Soul! Dec 29th -31st.... about twenty DJ`s on two floors, live acts, Reggae/Rocksteady and Rare Soul..will post more asap in events . Thanks for your tiem and interest.

Marc

Social source share

THE TRACK SEAN PLAYED AT STOKE IS AN ABSOLUTELY AMAZINGLY SOULFULL RECORD. RECORDED IN 2002 BY STEPHANIE MCKAY CALLED, MAKE ME OVER ITS A HUGE RECORD AT ALL REGGAE NIGHTS UP AND DOWN THE COUNTRY.IT HAS DOUBLE BARRELL BACKING TRACK BUT A TOTALLY DIFFERENT VOCAL. ITS ON YOUTUBE.JUST A FEW PROMO 45S EXIST PLUS A LARGER RUN OF 12" SEAN HAS A COUPLE OF THE 12S FOR SALE.

Great vocals great classic backing track but together ? no way, as for playing it out at a NS event behave .

Social source share

Bearsey youre spot on about soulies dancin to this and clearing the floor when anything remotely progressive hits the decks, it puts me in mind of soooo many wheel sets that feature, 2 or three ska tunes, mel torme and a bunch of motown, the olies/ swop shop, youth club brigade love it round here.

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Yes She had a fantasic voice and for whatever reason took her life so soon after her come back ,She was the queen of lovers and one of our great home produced artists it's starting to get the odd spin as an ender and I'm selling around 5 a week to the northern collectors .Regards Si.

Yeah, I heard that she had taken her life a couple of years ago - really sad. In truth, there are so many excellent lovers rock tunes in a similar vein - very, very few costing any more than tenner - almost a forgotten genre in my view..........

Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

Yeah, I heard that she had taken her life a couple of years ago - really sad. In truth, there are so many excellent lovers rock tunes in a similar vein - very, very few costing any more than tenner - almost a forgotten genre in my view..........

There's some great 7 and 12 lovers I like a lot on Dennis Browns DEB label output , but some of the track's that came out over the past 10 years have been really popular at the moment Maxi Priests version of "Still waters run deep " is our top seller and incrowds "irre blessings " is still selling well but some of the Jamaican funk is going out the door like billyo for instance two good 10 inchers are "soul makossa " by Jablonski with three other track's including Lyn Taits very funky "Stepping up" also Lyn Tait's "out on a funky trip" and Skin,Flesh and bone's classic "we're having a party" both these 10's are so popular I've had to order 50 copies of each this morning!!!!! respect and regards Simon.

Social source share

theyll be trying heavy rock next......sometimes i despair

dave

Absolutely! Anything goes is an understatement.

I think some DJ's just play shit like Wully Bully to create a reaction. Worse still, promoters who insist 'only soul' policy turn a blind eye as long as the tills are ringing. Makes you wanna holla.............

Ed

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Absolutely! Anything goes is an understatement.

I think some DJ's just play shit like Wully Bully to create a reaction. Worse still, promoters who insist 'only soul' policy turn a blind eye as long as the tills are ringing. Makes you wanna holla.............

Ed

Quite laughable really are these so called cutting edge upfront DJs trying to push the boundaries ? The boundaries are quite simple play decent soul music not difficult is it ? :)

Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

One that should get more plays and hard to get

Hi mate yes it's a nice tune try and find Owen Gray "I'm gonna say so long" Blue Beat on youtube that's not a bad sound I used to play it at no more doggin the r-n-b boy's used to like it regards Simon.

Social source share

Guest soulfulrosa

theyll be trying heavy rock next......sometimes i despair

dave

No Dave. you are missing the point. Reggae does have a place within soul. It started being played in the early 60s.. and at the wheel. well Al Capone was for sure..

It also also hits the memory banks of many of us older soulies .. so please dont despair :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Social source share

Love all of this music.........but it has no place on the northern soul scene.Im going to push the boundaries and dig out my Funkapolitan,Animal Nightlife,Working Week,Morrisey Mullen and Light Of The World records out and claim it's the new thing.I'm not sure if some people on here are actually into northern.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

was listening to Rodigan on rad 2 on thursday and thought this is great I could listen to rocksteady, lovers, roots and Dub allnight, ska I'm not so hot on, but its a Rhythmic thing for me, you can dance to 7o's soulful disco,80's boogie some funk records, soulful garage latin and boogaloo in the same way, imho, but island tunes for me just dont work in the same way.

Social source share

Guest soulboy1965

And as someone who's loved and collected reggae all my life practically - I agree with Dave, separate room, yes, same room absolutely not. What the f*ck has reggae got to do with Northern Soul?

Hey Pete

As a reggae expert - can you answer this for me please? Has The Soul Vendors (Owen Gray) Give Me A Little Sign ever been released as a single ANYWHERE in the world?? I need that tune, but can't afford the original LP. Cheers Mark

Social source share

Guest brivinyl

Has The Soul Vendors (Owen Gray) Give Me A Little Sign ever been released as a single ANYWHERE in the world?? I need that tune, but can't afford the original LP. Cheers Mark

It came out as single on UK Coxsone.

Social source share

Hey Pete

As a reggae expert - can you answer this for me please? Has The Soul Vendors (Owen Gray) Give Me A Little Sign ever been released as a single ANYWHERE in the world?? I need that tune, but can't afford the original LP. Cheers Mark

Yeah as said above, came out on blue Coxsone, only ever seen one, I got it out of Record Collector about 3 years ago and sold it on ebay for 500 quid - no idea why it should fetch such a price

Social source share

Guest soulboy1965

Yeah as said above, came out on blue Coxsone, only ever seen one, I got it out of Record Collector about 3 years ago and sold it on ebay for 500 quid - no idea why it should fetch such a price

Thanks guys - maybe cheaper to buy the whole album then!! Quality version and I'd happily part with £100+

Mark

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!