Ed Crook On Tri-Sound

Guest Tom Walsh

Hi all

Can anyone post up a scan of a promo copy of Ed Crook - That's Alright on Tri-Sound please?

Either or both of the different label designs please.

Cheers

Richard

I have two promo copies, the scan of my first copy is in Mannys million dollars of rare soul, I picked up another one last year, I had a couple of people interested it my spare copy at Prestatyn but still have it if anyone is interested.

Cheers,

Pete

Social source share

Guest smudgesmith

I had in my hand a couple of weeks ago a white label promo of this with hand written credits (Edgar Crook).

According to the owner it was found in a 25 count box,24 issues and 1hand written demo

Social source share

I have two promo copies, the scan of my first copy is in Mannys million dollars of rare soul, I picked up another one last year, I had a couple of people interested it my spare copy at Prestatyn but still have it if anyone is interested.

Cheers,

Pete

Any chance of a scan. Is it a W/Demo?

Social source share

The only one of these I've seen is a handwritten white label test pressing, which looks like it's been written by a child.

"white label promo of this with hand written credits (Edgar Crook)."

Never heard of this, Sound very interesting, anybody got a scan? or wanna sell me a copy!!

HeyYour meant to be working Gene!!! :D not on here chatting about Ed Crook !! laughs

Mal rolleyes.gif

Social source share

Guest smudgesmith

The only one of these I've seen is a handwritten white label test pressing, which looks like it's been written by a child.

Thats the one Gene,its vinyl not an acetate and it was also Jims old copy!

Edited by smudgesmith
Social source share

Thats the one Gene,its vinyl not an acetate and it was also Jims old copy!

Though I don't own it any more, I did have a demo, it was yellow, and though I can't recall the details it did vary from the common yellow issue. Mine was bought from Rob Marriot for £25 if I recall accurately, that said I was always very enamoured of Jimmy W's copy - Edgar Crook indeed!

Best,

RB

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Tom Walsh

I had in my hand a couple of weeks ago a white label promo of this with hand written credits (Edgar Crook).

According to the owner it was found in a 25 count box,24 issues and 1hand written demo

The main man has one(Edgar Crook white label hand written credits) showed it to me at the 100club last year :lol:

Social source share

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...

I noticed just yesterday that there are some of the plain yellow label versions that don't have "Dimensional Sound" on them. So that makes 4 label variations? Stars and Stripes demo, Stars and Stripes issue, Plain without Dimensional Sound, and Plain with.

While trying to research I found someone quoting Joe Moorehouse about the stars and stripes variation.

"Major Reynolds, who owned Tri-Sound, told me that the cross-and-stars design on Ed Crook is a pirate copy. After the record became a hit locally, someone (he didn't know who, I don't think) had additional copies pressed up without Major's permission and sold them without his knowledge. Interestingly, this sort of thing apparently happened pretty often, or at least a lot of old musicians and label owners claim it did."

Social source share

I've never seen nor heard of a white DJ with hand signed "Edward Crook".  That must be dead rare (maybe only the one box of 25 or 2 boxes of 25 each).

I've seen one yellow DJ version, and one white (similar design to the common yellow commercial pressing).

Social source share

I've never seen nor heard of a white DJ with hand signed "Edward Crook".  That must be dead rare (maybe only the one box of 25 or 2 boxes of 25 each).

I've seen one yellow DJ version, and one white (similar design to the common yellow commercial pressing).

I have seen a handful.

Cheers

Richard

post-12286-0-74901700-1409331272_thumb.j

• Helpful 1
Social source share

"Major Reynolds, who owned Tri-Sound, told me that the cross-and-stars design on Ed Crook is a pirate copy. After the record became a hit locally, someone (he didn't know who, I don't think) had additional copies pressed up without Major's permission and sold them without his knowledge. Interestingly, this sort of thing apparently happened pretty often, or at least a lot of old musicians and label owners claim it did.

"

I don't think this is true, as it is NASHVILLE MAINS stamped. Plus they would not boot a demo and an issue on the same design.

A similar thing happened when Lebaron Taylor who owned Revilot said all the PINK Revilots are boots!!! Some are ZTSC stamped!

Some of the label owners and artists often have trouble remembering things from decades ago.

Who can blame them! They are not as fanatical about it as we are!

I remember talking to Steve Mancha and he could not remember half the records he sang!

Edited by Guest
Social source share

"

I don't think this is true, as it is NASHVILLE MAINS stamped. Plus they would not boot a demo and an issue on the same design.

A similar thing happened when Lebaron Taylor who owned Revilot said all the PINK Revilots are boots!!! Some are ZTSC stamped!

Some of the label owners and artists often have trouble remembering things from decades ago.

Who can blame them! They are not as fanatical about it as we are!

I remember talking to Steve Mancha and he could not remember half the records he sang!

I agree.  That yellow Tri-Sound with stars, MUST be legit.  Having stamped mastering ID, AND a label design and font used by the same pressing plant that Tri-Sound used on one of The Devotions' pressings from that same plant makes it clear that a bootlegger wouldn't have been able to pose, successfully, as the owner or representative of Tri-Sound, to get that pressing job done.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Going by the designs variations of the two singles on the label, I'd put them in this order. It doesn't make sense that the stars and crossed Ed Crook is a/the "pirate" version having a promo lease on top of it. Major Reynolds might be confused on the actual release that was pressed and sold without his consent, but this might have happened sometime during the second or third round of press while the demand was still growing. So it could have been an extra batch done on the side and sold on the regular circuit just to make a quick "cash-in".

post-19710-0-79994900-1409475122_thumb.ppost-19710-0-50361900-1409475141_thumb.p

Horizontal lining gold to yellow both with address

post-19710-0-34280300-1409475201_thumb.ppost-19710-0-31847400-1409475239_thumb.p

Crossed lining without address and 'dimensional sound' logo to no more lining with address and  'dimensional sound' logo

post-19710-0-05237500-1409475299_thumb.ppost-19710-0-20303300-1409475269_thumb.p

address and no 'dimensional sound' logo anymore

So there's a promo for Ed Crook stars and crossed edition. A demo for the "bolder" design was said to exist, is this the one :lol:  ? post-19710-0-47927000-1409478360.png dreaded home made RED 'A' promo.

I don't believe there were demos at all for the second and third rounds of releases for those two Tri-Sound 45's.

Has anyone seen a demo for the Devotions 45 ?

Edited by tlscapital
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

:hatsoff2: HI All  my mate had a white DEMO KEITH, and not yours but the other blank looks familiar? trying to locate a TRI SOUND WHITE LABEL printed Demo, is in the same league as Larry Atkins Highland Demo, or Earl Wright THUMB A RIDE DEMO?? I have seen 2 out of 3, :thumbsup: DAVE K

Social source share

If you turn the sound up on the Larry Atkins demo right at the end of the recording you can hear the producer saying ok hold it or something similar just after the singing finishes

:hatsoff2: HGI ALL ... that's the producer telling Ike Turner to sling his hook, & he the introduces Tina to Ty :huh: I think.

:g: that's right DAVE K

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!