Lifeline

• Replies 181
  • Views 13.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Getting off to all-dayer just time to say...AWESOME!!!!

Will elaborate later

PH

You have taken the wiords right out of my mouth mate....my first time at Lifeline...and i thought it was brilliant from start to finish....Cliff Steele and Mick H's spots for me was phenomenal...really loved it..cant wait to go there again....:shades:....fantastic.....xxxx

Guest aintgotit

You have taken the wiords right out of my mouth mate....my first time at Lifeline...and i thought it was brilliant from start to finish....Cliff Steele and Mick H's spots for me was phenomenal...really loved it..cant wait to go there again....thumbup.gif....fantastic.....xxxx

same for me, pasch and our new friends michael and anya from dusseldorf.they and their two other mates martin and martina loved it.both slept all way back to manchester in car . sorry to have missed half of killers spot due to me gettin lost on me own doorstep tryin to find travelodge to pick michael n anya up. yawn!thought chalky,s set stood out from others tonight in its originality and unfamiliarity.enjoyed it most for those reasons.it was my thirtieth anniversary of visit to my first allnighter and brilliant to hear sets filled with music i had no idea about.stu cheetham said to me he walked in an felt immediately at home in the place . i think it must have been to the vibe the punters were givin off cos theres no way his front rooms that big even countin the kitchen, an there,s no stage, or bar or even a balcony! although you hear some unfamiliar tunes there too.but i dont generally applaud after he,s played one of em.the "inimitable " rob smith ended the night with "ditty,s "stormers"gems"and "classics and those were just his use of adjectives..the cautions, my current favourite.his last three were pretty much perfect too.as the cautions illustrate , my happilly spent "no other way"thanks very much.

Guest Ferrett

QUALITY, QUALITY, QUALITY.

So nice to hear some mid tempo tunes mixed in with the stormers.

Particularly like that 1972 Fellon Theft track that Sam played (at least that what I think it was called).

Had to leave at 4.30 to get some kip before after wedding party tonight, but still in full swing when I left with Mick H just coming on).

Thanks to Justin for the DVD of Keele from March 1993. Blimey we all look young!ohmy.gif

Keep up the good work lads

Ferrettthumbsup.gif

Well l've said it before and l'll say it again, Life Line is certainly living up to it's name, and the paying punters are getting what they payed for, most of who have traveled quite some way to get value for money, the promoters are to be congratulated because the quality of the music is 1st class.

When we arrived there was a lady D.J.ing, Killer told me her name was Nicola she played a great set ,she also played a record l'd never heard before, it was fantastic, blew me away, l need to find out what it was called. Nicola has told me however that she will be posting her play list.

I can't add much more to whats already been said apart from Life Lines growing in popularity and attendance levels, new people coming along for the 1st time and really embrassing it, Primarily for the music but also discovering that when they walk through the doors they are welcomed by us aready addicted Life Liners.

This is indeed a top venue that keeps its promise, and me being a local lass, can honestly say if your looking for comfortable same old same old, then this is'nt the venue for you, it certainly "Sorts the chaff from the wheat", long may it continue, it's restored my FAITH .

Sandi :shades::thumbup:

All the previous posters have got it right, fantastic soul night.

I had no intention of doing a nighter, but as I was preparing my evening meal Karen B phoned and asked me if I fancied going to Lifeline tonight. With barely a moment's hesitation I accepted her suggestion. We planned to leave after Soul Sam's set but the best laid plans of mice and men, etc.

I rushed through my tea and had a quick shower and hairwash. Dressed as quickly as I could and went off to Potters Bar, stopping on the way to get some cash. Leaving my car near Karen's house, then into her car, she kindly did the driving, which I appreciate very much. It's a long drive up there from London and south Hertfordshire.

We managed to miss the entrance and drove past but eventually found it, and parked in an area that is, I believe, originally intended for the exercise of horses, after all the place is called the Stables, or so I was told.

There was a crowd outside smoking and chatting, said hello to Ady Pountain.

We walked in, I paid the money and we were fitted with our wrist bands. The weariness of the journey immediately slipped away as we heard the sounds of soul music, always solace for the weary of body and soul. First person we saw was Toby, chatting to Pete Burke. Then I saw Karen, Pete's better half, put my bag under their table, and had a look around. Almost immediately Gill and Becky came up to me to get me to sign a card for Karen Crane's birthday, most happy to do so.

Cliff Steele was on the decks, think he was playing the Adorables' Ooh Boy when we came in, he played a set that I enjoyed very much including the Chimes and closed with Wee.

Next on was Andy Dyson, some good Northern, got me out to Tommy & The Derbys, think he played Joseph Webster as well, but mind not entirely back to normal as I type this.

Ady followed Andy and played some good sounds.

Next on was Butch, can remember dancing to the Utopias among other records. He also played Salt & Pepper's I'm A Man Of My Word, and some others I remember from the last !00 Club.

Soul Sam took over, played a good set, he always does imo. He included Ellipsis, John & The Weirdest and played Salt & Pepper again, which he'd just purchased recently.

Mick H was on next, more great music. Thanks for playing my request Teacher Man, and loved it followed by Marcia Hines' You Gotta Let Go, went so well together. Had me going on the dance floor.

We decided to call it a day at about 5.50, shock horror, it was light outside, not what we planned when we started our journey to the Midlands. But it was worth it.

I saw loads of friends from all over, particularly good to see Maria again, saw her on Thursday at the Smersh bar, she spent a lot of time on the dance floor. But I could see she was tired when she left. Great to see all my friends, they helped make it a good night. Also thanks to the two nice ladies who chatted to me, nice to make your acquaintance.

I had been to Lifeline once before, but it was a flying visit, as I was with Steve G and were on the way back to London from the 3 Greyhounds alldayer at Middlewich last year. The whole place impressed me, music, venue and atmosphere. To me it was what I want a soul allnighter to be like. Good solid soul, and with the majority of records played new to me. Therefore would welcome any playlists the DJs would like to post. I apologise that my comments on their sets are short but my brain and memory are still not in gear yet.

Lifeline was the culmination to one of the best months I've enjoyed going to soul nights. Haven't slept in my bed any Saturday night in August, out at something each time.

Thanks to all at Lifeline for a great night, and thanks again to Karen for doing the honours at the wheel.

I really do enjoy the Lifeline experience.

Does exactly what it advertises.

Just a great night of quality soul with great people.

What more can you ask for? :thumbup:

:thumbup:Top night Andy, as Tabs said, lifeline experience, some of the sounds played last night well above expectations, more so than Burnley, how rare can rarist be, is there a line to this wonderful soul scene or do we just keep on keeping on, as i said top night looking forward to the next one billy thumbsup.gif

All the previous posters have got it right, fantastic soul night.

I had no intention of doing a nighter, but as I was preparing my evening meal Karen B phoned and asked me if I fancied going to Lifeline tonight. With barely a moment's hesitation I accepted her suggestion. We planned to leave after Soul Sam's set but the best laid plans of mice and men, etc.

I rushed through my tea and had a quick shower and hairwash. Dressed as quickly as I could and went off to Potters Bar, stopping on the way to get some cash. Leaving my car near Karen's house, then into her car, she kindly did the driving, which I appreciate very much. It's a long drive up there from London and south Hertfordshire.

We managed to miss the entrance and drove past but eventually found it, and parked in an area that is, I believe, originally intended for the exercise of horses, after all the place is called the Stables, or so I was told.

There was a crowd outside smoking and chatting, said hello to Ady Pountain.

We walked in, I paid the money and we were fitted with our wrist bands. The weariness of the journey immediately slipped away as we heard the sounds of soul music, always solace for the weary of body and soul. First person we saw was Toby, chatting to Pete Burke. Then I saw Karen, Pete's better half, put my bag under their table, and had a look around. Almost immediately Gill and Becky came up to me to get me to sign a card for Karen Crane's birthday, most happy to do so.

Cliff Steele was on the decks, think he was playing the Adorables' Ooh Boy when we came in, he played a set that I enjoyed very much including the Chimes and closed with Wee.

Next on was Andy Dyson, some good Northern, got me out to Tommy & The Derbys, think he played Joseph Webster as well, but mind not entirely back to normal as I type this.

Ady followed Andy and played some good sounds.

Next on was Butch, can remember dancing to the Utopias among other records. He also played Salt & Pepper's I'm A Man Of My Word, and some others I remember from the last !00 Club.

Soul Sam took over, played a good set, he always does imo. He included Ellipsis, John & The Weirdest and played Salt & Pepper again, which he'd just purchased recently.

Mick H was on next, more great music. Thanks for playing my request Teacher Man, and loved it followed by Marcia Hines' You Gotta Let Go, went so well together. Had me going on the dance floor.

We decided to call it a day at about 5.50, shock horror, it was light outside, not what we planned when we started our journey to the Midlands. But it was worth it.

I saw loads of friends from all over, particularly good to see Maria again, saw her on Thursday at the Smersh bar, she spent a lot of time on the dance floor. But I could see she was tired when she left. Great to see all my friends, they helped make it a good night. Also thanks to the two nice ladies who chatted to me, nice to make your acquaintance.

I had been to Lifeline once before, but it was a flying visit, as I was with Steve G and were on the way back to London from the 3 Greyhounds alldayer at Middlewich last year. The whole place impressed me, music, venue and atmosphere. To me it was what I want a soul allnighter to be like. Good solid soul, and with the majority of records played new to me. Therefore would welcome any playlists the DJs would like to post. I apologise that my comments on their sets are short but my brain and memory are still not in gear yet.

Lifeline was the culmination to one of the best months I've enjoyed going to soul nights. Haven't slept in my bed any Saturday night in August, out at something each time.

Thanks to all at Lifeline for a great night, and thanks again to Karen for doing the honours at the wheel.

pretty much sums it all up,great night,yeah we went flying past the turning and parking in the stables was an experience,top,top tunes all night,really enjoyed cliff steele's set,butch's 90 minutes just whizzed past,appointments jean carter c/u,milton james,also heard an alternate take of the coasters classic "crazy baby" played by ady pountain I think,had a good laugh in the company of spot and his non stop one liners :laugh: and mike cogg on and off the stage eager to know every detail of the records being played(little carol) played by sam c/u? sounded a bit good !! and kev and the attic boys,nice speaking to you,see you at morley carr in october.

Mick

Edited by micksmix

Would find difficulty in disagreeing with any of the aforementioned posters thoughts on what was a superb night, both musically and socially "just what the doctor ordered" ......so to speakyes.gif

Keep up the good work.....just doing what you're doing, and I'll look forward to the next Lifeline, in anticipation!.....along with a large number of others no doubtgood.gif

Another great night at Lifeline , everyone played some interesting records , loads new to me [ as usual ] plus some classy oldies which haven't been aired recently , especially enjoyed The Universals " Diamonds and pearls " which I used to love in the Stafford era , spun tonight by Butch , plus John and The Weirdest played by Sam .Great to hear Ady's " Crazy Baby " again , thought Shep " Fool to fool " sounded superb again out loud in a venue .Really liked the instrumental Butch played , semi modern 3/4 through his spot - anyone got any idea what it's called ? Really good to see Sean Hampsey for the first time in years , hope your daughter enjoyed it mate , plus Greety and Karen B , who I haven't seen for ages , and Karen " Soulgirl " who as full of fun and Soul as per usual .Retired to the car around 4.30 for a powernap before leaving as the sun came up .Excellent night folks , keep ' em coming .....Best,Eddie

Just about recovered!! What a great night .. stayed almost until the end of what had been a great night ... music brilliant as always. Nicola you did good girl .. loved all that mid-tempo. Company excellent and meeting up with Flloydie and Jane again after about 18 years was just superb .. made my year!! :wicked:

As a mention to Cliffe Steele especially, thankyou for playing Wee "Try Me", l had requested that he play it at the Lifeline previously, however he assured me that he had all good intentions of giving it a spin but just ran out of time.

He redeemed himself and played it lastnight (sat).

Your back in my good books Cliffe :thumbup:.

Sandi

first time for me here and it wont be the last, music was top notch all nite ... people amazing... nothing else to say but whens the next one.

October the 31st the next one!

Thanks for all the comments and thanks to everyone who packed out the Stables. I personally thought it was musically pretty much perfect on Saturday night, dance floor full from very early on and right through the night, can't ask fo much more thumbup.gif

Guest SteveC

My first visit to Lifeline since the "Dewsbury" days and yes...a fabulous night. Like Chalky said the dancefloor was full from start to finish and musically there was something for everyone.

Great to meet and chat with Eddie Hubbard (catch up with ya at Rugby hopefully mate). Big thanks to Cogsy for giving me the info on the Little Carol track - first time I'd heard it and I had a right good dance to that one!!! Also appreciated the Devotions - Same sweet loving Mick played (a good cheapy nestled in between the rarities). Was lovely to act the fool once again with me old buddy Molly. Overall a great night which we thoroughly enjoyed. Thanks guys.

Big thanks to Cogsy for giving me the info on the Little Carol track - first time I'd heard it and I had a right good dance to that one!!!

This is the track I covered up as Little Carl and The Detroit Hitmen, if you have a lookback at the topic you'll find some people said it was utter rubbish but I knew it would sound fantastic played out loud, a brilliant dance record, John Manship flogged it for me but he reckoned it was a girl singer so it was changed to Little Carol, however I still call it Little Carl. I cut a copy for myself so thats the only other one, shame it'll never get played outside of my front room.

This is the track I covered up as Little Carl and The Detroit Hitmen, if you have a lookback at the topic you'll find some people said it was utter rubbish but I knew it would sound fantastic played out loud, a brilliant dance record, John Manship flogged it for me but he reckoned it was a girl singer so it was changed to Little Carol, however I still call it Little Carl. I cut a copy for myself so thats the only other one, shame it'll never get played outside of my front room.

where's the topic Pete? What is the title? and is there a sound file to jog my memory?

Good record, but unfortunately not the best take..She sounds like her voice has'nt broken yet..I have been playing a much more polished take with a liitle instumentation also from the same stable..(If you know what i mean)..

October the 31st the next one!

Thanks for all the comments and thanks to everyone who packed out the Stables. I personally thought it was musically pretty much perfect on Saturday night, dance floor full from very early on and right through the night, can't ask fo much more thumbup.gif

As i said on me another thread last night "superb",nice seeing everyone no name checks just too many,and thanks Chalky for your help propper gent.see you all soon.Ken

Edited by ken

Good record, but unfortunately not the best take..She sounds like her voice has'nt broken yet..I have been playing a much more polished take with a liitle instumentation also from the same stable..(If you know what i mean)..

The first take is great, the one on the B side is bad, the voice has just gone completely.

Funny that, two turning up at nearly the same time.

The first take is great, the one on the B side is bad, the voice has just gone completely.

Funny that, two turning up at nearly the same time.

mine was about a year ago or more from memory. I think both takes on mine are about the same, but again a lot better polised so must be later takes maybe??

Edited by hootenannie

GUTTED I couldn't go... sad.gifsad.gif

Gutted is an understatment Dolly!!

I wud go as far to say this was the best LL ive attended musically thumbup.gifthumbup.gifthumbup.gif

Quality and mixture of tunage was vey well balanced IMO

Not one mediocer set all nite!All Djs wer on blobgood.gif

Which meant everybody shud of went away fulfilled.

Man of the match for me on the nite goes to Mick H (and he has defo overcome his Mike shyness )g.gif he didnt even cum up for air on one occasionlaugh.giflaugh.gif

Nice to see molly there walkin around all nite with the grin of a Cheshire catwhistling.gif

Again wer does the time go to?

Mike Cog

How come?

How come Pete,cos we was really up for this and sooooo wanted to give it some on that dancefloor,but nothing grabbed us to do that apart from a handfull of tunes,its sooo frustrating when your a dancer whistling.gif And how on earth some peeps can dance to the majority of what was played on Saturday is beyond me,they got to be off their tits!! laugh.gif

How come Pete,cos we was really up for this and sooooo wanted to give it some on that dancefloor,but nothing grabbed us to do that apart from a handfull of tunes,its sooo frustrating when your a dancer whistling.gif And how on earth some peeps can dance to the majority of what was played on Saturday is beyond me,they got to be off their tits!! laugh.gif

Bloody hell Helen your difficult to please the music from 10.00 to when i left at 3.30 especially between 12 and 3.30 was some of the best Northern dance music ever played in the west Mids IMO

Man of the match for me on the nite goes to Mick H (and he has defo overcome his Mike shyness ):angry: But we are sorry that we missed Mick H and Rob Smith,but we just couldn't stand the boredom any longer,plus Mart wasn't feeling too good anyway so left at 4.15.

what is that you do want to dance to? I can only think of the same old same oldies???? I remember you saying that Max's set when he did an early one a while back was the best set of the night and that was an out and out oldies set. That isn't what Lifeline is about...as the flyers and publicity says. There are plenty of venues that do cater for the oldies. Any suggestions or constructive critiscm will be taken on board.

As others said the music played on Saturday was IMHO some of the best played at Lifeline, the dance floor was full with what seemed to be soulies enjoying themselves.

Edited by chalky

Man of the match for me on the nite goes to Mick H (and he has defo overcome his Mike shyness ):angry: But we are sorry that we missed Mick H and Rob Smith,but we just couldn't stand the boredom any longer,plus Mart wasn't feeling too good anyway so left at 4.15.

I don't know why you and your mates thought they would get a fiver refund, it has never been said that you would. It is an all-nighter playing the music it says it is going to play on the flyers, message boards etc.

I don't know why you and your mates thought they would get a fiver refund, it has never been said that you would. It is an all-nighter playing the music it says it is going to play on the flyers, message boards etc.

any playlists?

Really liked the instrumental Butch played , semi modern 3/4 through his spot - anyone got any idea what it's called ?

Voicemasters Band.

It tickled me when Mick H massively bigged up the Vanguards - Thought Of Losing Your Love as "watch this one, could go massive" etc... it's their cheapest (and best though imo), been played regularly at "funk"-type nights for as long as I can remember, and there are about a billion copies knocking around with an assortment of label designs! Still, it's heartwarming to see an enthusiastic response to this kind of record in a big venue, although they often seem to completely split the vote: Save The World caused 60% + to rapidly evacuate and the remainder to dance like mad then applaud at the end. Good night all round.

Cor you must be of your head, was a great night at lifeline. Playing some very good tunes.... How can you say you could not dance to them? Playing the best Northern Soul IMO.

Don't rise to it Chalke's you all did a superb job,and Ted cant dance anyway biggrin.gif

Don't rise to it Chalke's you all did a superb job,and Ted cant dance anyway biggrin.gif

QUITE RIGHT KEN, BUT HEY ALL PUBLICITY IS GOOD PUBLICITY, SAY JELLYBEAN YOU KNOW WHAT I RECKON DON'T BOTHER EVER COMING BACK TO LIFELINE COS IT'S NOT FOR YOU,FIVER BACK....TIGHT ARSED TWATS WHERE DOES IT SAY THAT ?

what is that you do want to dance to? I can only think of the same old same oldies???? I remember you saying that Max's set when he did an early one a while back was the best set of the night and that was an out and out oldies set. That isn't what Lifeline is about...as the flyers and publicity says. There are plenty of venues that do cater for the oldies. Any suggestions or constructive critiscm will be taken on board.

As others said the music played on Saturday was IMHO some of the best played at Lifeline, the dance floor was full with what seemed to be soulies enjoying themselves.

What do i want to dance to.....not same old same old thats for sure whistling.gif we went to a nighter last weekend and the majority was same old so didn't enjoy that either no.gif i like a good mix of underplayed & some rare dancers and some timeless classics....don't get me wrong we have enjoyed previous nights at Lifeline,and its good to hear something different occasionally......but the stuff that was played on Saturday was too fast to dance to imo,or too midtempo and it was very up & down.Maybe it would help if all you dj's tried dancing to it yourselves,cos even though you may think its a good uptempo dancer etc...... ya got to suck it and see first.I will and can dance to all tempos whether it be northern,R&B,crossover even some modern,as long as its got the right beat.

QUITE RIGHT KEN, BUT HEY ALL PUBLICITY IS GOOD PUBLICITY, SAY JELLYBEAN YOU KNOW WHAT I RECKON DON'T BOTHER EVER COMING BACK TO LIFELINE COS IT'S NOT FOR YOU,FIVER BACK....TIGHT ARSED TWATS WHERE DOES IT SAY THAT ?

I am not a tight arsed f**king twat,i told them they wouldn't get a refund,but they asked anyways,and NO i won't be back,so f**k off TWAT!!

Edited by JELLYBEAN

What do i want to dance to.....not same old same old thats for sure whistling.gif we went to a nighter last weekend and the majority was same old so didn't enjoy that either no.gif i like a good mix of underplayed & some rare dancers and some timeless classics....don't get me wrong we have enjoyed previous nights at Lifeline,and its good to hear something different occasionally......but the stuff that was played on Saturday was too fast to dance to imo,or too midtempo and it was very up & down.Maybe it would help if all you dj's tried dancing to it yourselves,cos even though you may think its a good uptempo dancer etc...... ya got to suck it and see first.I will and can dance to all tempos whether it be northern,R&B,crossover even some modern,as long as its got the right beat.

blahhhhhhhhh what aload of rubbish.

Source Advert