45S You Felt Were Crap And Sold Cheap

Just for a laugh this is !

How many tunes have you had in your possession that you had no interest in, or even disliked then sold on for next to nothing ! biggrin.gif

Then only to see the buggers become big favourites on the dance floor a few years later !!!!!!

And every time you hear them you cringe ! (Fook I should have kept hold of that !!!)

A couple to start off from me.

I had a copy of the Crown Four - Birth of a playboy mid 90s - I ended up with it some how but fooking hated the thing - sold it for about 6 quid - then a few years later it gets big spins. LOL

Dottie and Millie - Talking about my baby - Topper - I also ended up with this - I fooking hated it at the time - what a crap tune - Its never ever going be worth more than ten quid cause its just so bad - so off it went ......... LOL

Tamiko Jones - Spellbound - Golden World - ended up in my collection in the 90s - I HATED the thing - out it went for a fiver ! LOL

Funny thing is , I quite like all of these tunes now LOL

So what tunes did YOU own that you had no faith in, but ended up becoming firm favourites on the dance floors ??

this must have happened to every collector at some point ?

LOL

Spill the beans !!!!

Social source share

• Replies 53
  • Views 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Just for a laugh this is !

How many tunes have you had in your possession that you had no interest in, or even disliked then sold on for next to nothing ! biggrin.gif

Then only to see the buggers become big favourites on the dance floor a few years later !!!!!!

And every time you hear them you cringe ! (Fook I should have kept hold of that !!!)

A couple to start off from me.

I had a copy of the Crown Four - Birth of a playboy mid 90s - I ended up with it some how but fooking hated the thing - sold it for about 6 quid - then a few years later it gets big spins. LOL

Dottie and Millie - Talking about my baby - Topper - I also ended up with this - I fooking hated it at the time - what a crap tune - Its never ever going be worth more than ten quid cause its just so bad - so off it went ......... LOL

Tamiko Jones - Spellbound - Golden World - ended up in my collection in the 90s - I HATED the thing - out it went for a fiver ! LOL

Funny thing is , I quite like all of these tunes now LOL

So what tunes did YOU own that you had no faith in, but ended up becoming firm favourites on the dance floors ??

this must have happened to every collector at some point ?

LOL

Spill the beans !!!!

What are you trying to do ? If I gave this topic much thought I would be dangling from the lampost outside my house :D:ohmy:

Social source share

What are you trying to do ? If I gave this topic much thought I would be dangling from the lampost outside my house :D:ohmy:

Me too Mak can I join you on that lampost mate lol not so much hated the tunes just stupid things we did back then, meet the man that sold Eric Mercury at Stafford for £100.00, Betty Wilson for a tenner, Imperial C's for £275.00 when you could'nt give the bugger away plus numerous others trouble is I bet we have all done it...I'll get my coat reckon we are gonna get wet up on that lampost.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Edited by Mark Bicknell
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Save a noose for me, lads, I've done it so many times over the decades that I don't even want to think about it.

Probably the most recent clanger I've dropped in that department was giving Connie Laverne on GSF away for now't 'cos I thought it was mediocre and couldn't see why anyone would want to give it house room.

I'm not saying who the lucky recipient was but he's on here sometimes. Aren't you, Ivor? whistling

Edited by TONY ROUNCE
Social source share

Should you care if records you have sold go up in value after you have sold them, especially if you don't like them? Surely if you were happy with the sale price at the time of sale that should be it, looking back is always a bad thing when pricing/valuing records.

Edited by John Reed
Social source share

Should you care if records you have sold go up in value after you have sold them, especially if you don't like them? Surely if you were happy with the sale price at the time of sale that should be it, looking back is always a bad thing when pricing/valuing records.

I'm just having a laugh.

Or course you can't care once you have parted with a tune.

It couldn't have meant that much too you if you sold it could it.

I just thought it would be funny / intresting to find out from other collectors, which 45s you totally passed along, but went on to be big tunes.

Have I hit a nerve here ?

LOL

Edited by mossy
Social source share

Me too Mak can I join you on that lampost mate lol not so much hated the tunes just stupid things we did back then, meet the man that sold Eric Mercury at Stafford for £100.00, Betty Wilson for a tenner, Imperial C's for £275.00 when you could'nt give the bugger away plus numerous others trouble is I bet we have all done it...I'll get my coat reckon we are gonna get wet up on that lampost.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Someone got Betty Wilson for a tenner ! LOL

I remember picking a copy of the Falcons - love look through her eyes (mint) - at the 100 club from a sales box in about 1994 for 8 quid !

I wonder who that was, That went pretty big over the next few years didn't it.

Thanks whoever you were ! LOL

Social source share

Have I hit a nerve here ?

LOL

Mossy,

No,nerve hitlaugh.gif . We've all done it.

To name some that I've sold that I've liked, let alone the ones I didn't like: Frank Beverley, Al Mason, Drapers, Natural 4 and the list goes on.

For me, once they've been bought and in my collection, I consider them to have no value. The money is spent and gone even though technically I have an asset.

My previous post was a bit serious wasn't it....

Social source share

Mossy,

No,nerve hitlaugh.gif . We've all done it.

To name some that I've sold that I've liked, let alone the ones I didn't like: Frank Beverley, Al Mason, Drapers, Natural 4 and the list goes on.

For me, once they've been bought and in my collection, I consider them to have no value. The money is spent and gone even though technically I have an asset.

I know bud we have all done it.

I reckon most have Sold collections at some point........treasured items......at the wrong point in time.

I suppose I am getting my question mixed up a bit.

I meant the tunes we have owned but didn't pay any attention to or disliked - where our own personal taste decides the tune is not all that - but then it takes off on the scene.

Maybe you hear the tune out a few times once you have parted with it ?

And then start to appreciate it, hear it in a different light ?

Social source share

Someone got Betty Wilson for a tenner ! LOL

I remember picking a copy of the Falcons - love look through her eyes (mint) - at the 100 club from a sales box in about 1994 for 8 quid !

I wonder who that was, That went pretty big over the next few years didn't it.

Thanks whoever you were ! LOL

Was it me who bought The Falcons off you lol, common ground with this one I think plus it was a different time then, you could walk out of Stafford with a pile of tunes that might have cost you a hundred quid it total, remember one morning coming out of there with Sam Fletcher, Betty Wilson, Sam Dees, Gracie Darnell and a stack of other stuff cost me just under £200.00, reckon we have all done it but I do take the point once they have gone that's it move on.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Was it me who bought The Falcons off you lol, common ground with this one I think plus it was a different time then, you could walk out of Stafford with a pile of tunes that might have cost you a hundred quid it total, remember one morning coming out of there with Sam Fletcher, Betty Wilson, Sam Dees, Gracie Darnell and a stack of other stuff cost me just under £200.00, reckon we have all done it but I do take the point once they have gone that's it move on.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Deffo Mark - Its all part of the fun, I think the antidote to thinking about records you have sold is to go out and buy more tunes isn't it ?

I wonder if the record dealers could do a "Stafford Special" at the April re-union? 80s prices for one night only ???

Just a thought.

Social source share

i managed to get 20/30 which is what i paid for mine but still total shite

I really like the Dealers - you got it.

I think it is a great group tune, lovely harmonies, really nice.

And it is getting a bit of overdue needle action these days apparently.

It took me years to appreciate that 45 and eventually get one.

But that's personal taste again.

If we all liked the same tunes you would end up with a top northern soul 500 or something,

now that would just be boring wouldn't it !

Social source share

I reckon most have Sold collections at some point........treasured items......at the wrong point in time.

I meant the tunes we have owned but didn't pay any attention to or disliked - where our own personal taste decides the tune is not all that - but then it takes off on the scene.

Tastes change over time Mossy, what sounded great / shit 10/15/40 years ago can now have the opposite effect.

Mind you when I dropped off the scene in mid 80s luckily never sold any of my northernthumbsup.gif & things that may have sounded "ok" now sound pretty good, did sell a few modern bits at the time which although good records I certainly don't regretno.gif

Edited by SHSDave
Social source share

So right there Dave

I started going to all nighters and collecting in the late 80s

Mostly all I used to buy at that time were the beat ballads and the mid tempo stuff.

I loved them all - Sam fletcher, George Freeman, Freddie Houston, Kurt Harris, Romance Watson.. etc. etc. etc.

I had a great collection of errrrrrrrrrrrrr.....mainly beat ballads.

I still love em - but last ten years much more into collecting up tempo dancers, Detroit stormers. etc

I have a more general collection now of (what I think are) good oldies, up tempo dancers, underplayed and forgotten bits, Latin, touch of RnB - a bit of everything really.

Ever changing taste and direction.

It is what keeps collecting interesting.

I also like a lot of the new stuff like - Teenagers - Cooking on 3 burners - Myron and e - Kings go forth...... etc

I get pretty much into all sorts these days

Social source share

Totally agree John, Once I've bought them & my bank manager has recovered they become "dead money" that I could have spent & wasted anywhere:chinstroke:

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Going the other way, I can remember passing on a copy of Bernie Williams' Ever Again at (I think) the 100 Club in the 80s. I certainly didn't think it was crap, but I also didn't think it was quite worth the £30.00 that whoever was selling it wanted for it...

...the words "complete", "and", "utter" and "mug" come to mind, do they not.

Re; "Love Look In Her Eyes", I must have given at least two copies away in the very early 70s - not because I thought it was crap, it just seemed to turn up in every other soul pack that I bought around that time!

Social source share

hear it in a different light :thumbup: .... Do you mean sober... :D

Social source share

Going the other way, I can remember passing on a copy of Bernie Williams' Ever Again at (I think) the 100 Club in the 80s. I certainly didn't think it was crap, but I also didn't think it was quite worth the £30.00 that whoever was selling it wanted for it...

...the words "complete", "and", "utter" and "mug" come to mind, do they not.

Re; "Love Look In Her Eyes", I must have given at least two copies away in the very early 70s - not because I thought it was crap, it just seemed to turn up in every other soul pack that I bought around that time!

LOL !! Brilliant !

Another missed opportunity goes by !! LOL

I would also love a copy of Bernie Williams.

Social source share

hear it in a different light :thumbup: .... Do you mean sober... :D

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm LOL ! thumbup.gif

I will have you know I have not been drunk for ages and I have been enjoying life the sober way !

Bad things have stopped happening to me and my partner had decided she is staying with me, which is handy.

I have a sticker on the top of my PC screen warning me not to "Drink and Surf"

The mates I have pissed of in the last few years have started coming around (for a cuppa tea) again

so its all good !!

By the way, when is your next "Soul or Nothing" cause I am definatley coming this year to see you (and a few pints of water !!!)

Nice one Steve

Social source share

I'm waiting for one to land from the States as we speak and it's doing my head in, funny after all these years the buzz waiting for something to arrive is still as strong, part of the game in the chase I guess....wonderful.

Regards - Mark Bicknell

Bloody brilliant innit !!

The Postie knocked me up this morning at 9:30 with 3 tunes !

Puts me in a great mood for the day!

After playing the new 45s at leat 4 times - Then putting the new 45s in their new white covers.........

placing the new items in their new home......moving records out of onebox into another to make room for the latest bits.

Playing a few other 45s out of different boxes - Its the morning record room ritual !! LOL

I still get so much pleasure from collecting.

Soul music is indeed "Wonderful" and I am sure its good for your heath and well-being !

Edited by mossy
Social source share

Bloody brilliant innit !!

The Postie knocked me up this morning at 9:30 with 3 tunes !

Puts me in a great mood for the day!

After playing the new 45s at leat 4 times - Then putting the new 45s in their new white covers.........

placing the new items in their new home......moving records out of onebox into another to make room for the latest bits.

Playing a few other 45s out of different boxes - Its the morning record room ritual !! LOL

I still get so much pleasure from collecting.

Soul music is indeed "Wonderful" and I am sure its good for your heath and well-being !

:thumbup:

No its not.... I need help...

Martini x

Social source share

Wade Flemons "Jannette" twisted a lads arm to buy it off me for 50p so I could buy a cup of coffee in Morecambe early 80's.

Christ ! I hope it was a nice cappuchino :laugh: you must have been thirsty.

50p !!! - thats gotta be the best yet !!!!!!!!

LOL

could have been "2 for a quid" !

Social source share

Surely the B side is worth that alone :D

I still quite like both sides of Ronnie Forte - I also sold my copy for 20 quid years ago

Ronnie forte 5 quid

Wade Flemmons 50p (lol)

Betty Wilson 10 quid

Bernie Williams 30 quid

45 quid for that lot LOL !

I was around a mates place last week looking through his stuff - and his copy of Roy Hamiltons

- you shook me up, still had the little silver 20 cents sticker on the label.

Social source share

I still quite like both sides of Ronnie Forte - I also sold my copy for 20 quid years ago

Ronnie forte 5 quid

Wade Flemmons 50p (lol)

Betty Wilson 10 quid

Bernie Williams 30 quid

45 quid for that lot LOL !

I was around a mates place last week looking through his stuff - and his copy of Roy Hamiltons

- you shook me up, still had the little silver 20 cents sticker on the label.

I would have to turn 'em down,£45 would break me bank at the mo' :D but i'll take whiskey talkin' ta.

Social source share

I would have to turn 'em down,£45 would break me bank at the mo' biggrin.gif but i'll take whiskey talkin' ta.

I am going to see Mark at funkyfeet records this week if I have time - Guess what I will be humming over there!!

"Talking bout Jeanette........50p......la la la ........ talking bout Jeanette doo be do...50p.... etc"

Social source share

I would have to turn 'em down,£45 would break me bank at the mo' biggrin.gif but i'll take whiskey talkin' ta.

liz damon on white whale - picked up in a market because of the label - thought it was crap, put it in a pack of ten ex soul pack 45's sold the pack for £1

16/17years later met a young lad in farnborough who asked me to dj for him at the local sports centre - he had one in his box and told me it was being played - he played it and i still thought it was crap

Social source share

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Thing is though Mark its 'horses for courses' isn't it? £50 back in the 80's was quite a sum in those days & I seem to remember a certain person getting Troy Dodds off me for that price..... (oh and Gerri Hall I think).....

Those two records I didn't think were crap but just needed the 'brass' at the time - ah well ces't la vie as they say in Belgium...

Mick

Social source share

Wade Flemons "Jannette" twisted a lads arm to buy it off me for 50p so I could buy a cup of coffee in Morecambe early 80's.

Hope you gave the lad change after you'd bought your coffee !!!whistling or can you live with the guilt of charging a full 50p.

Sorry but in IMVHO it has always been a very bad record.

Social source share

Andy Fisher......... £20.........:wanker:

BH

Not............. "hearts beat stronger" !!!!!!! on the fat fish label !!!!

20 quid.......OMG !

Did you not like the tune? was it unknown when you sold it ?

Now we are talking about a major clanger of the HIGHEST order !! :laugh:

Do you still have nightmares about being attacked by fish? LOL

Thanks for sharing that Blake

fair play for admitting that !! Brilliant ! :thumbup:

Social source share

Danny woods-you had me fooled, bought it for £6 in the late 70`s and sold it for £8:wicked: also a 10" golden world test press of the sunliners-all alone, bought for £8 sold for £6, tons really come to mind. Now wheres that box of KLEENEX:laugh::laugh:

BRING OUT THE ROPE !!!!

Funny that, I bought Danny Woods last year for what I thought was a good price (in great condition) maybe a couple of hundred or something - then I saw another copy finish on Mannys auction the other week for £725................... LOL

I am not trying to sell my copy or anything - that record is priceless to me - but it is nice to get a long time want for a good price - then see proof that it was a good price.

I love the Sunliners aswell Harry - I have an issue of that - and I would NEVER sell that either - totally under rated quality Detroit 45 IMO

The fooking test press ? Thats usually about 3 presses then they started full production with labels if I am right !

BRING ON THE ROPE ! :laugh:

Social source share

Not............. "hearts beat stronger" !!!!!!! on the fat fish label !!!!

20 quid.......OMG !

Did you not like the tune? was it unknown when you sold it ?

Now we are talking about a major clanger of the HIGHEST order !! :laugh:

Do you still have nightmares about being attacked by fish? LOL

Thanks for sharing that Blake

fair play for admitting that !! Brilliant ! :thumbup:

How about selling The Hamilton Movement for all of £1.50

or Carol Anderson (whip) or Jock Mitchel at £1 each and many many more.

I did not think they were crap just my selling prices at the time.thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Guest JIM BARRY

WHAT DID YOU LET BILLY WOODS GO FOR DAVE? DIDN'T YOU HAVE 2?

Social source share

I am only in my 30s, so for me to understand what value pre decimal money was all about at the time is really difficult !!!! :laugh:

Sorry Dave............ couldn't resist that ! :thumbup:

Edited by mossy
Social source share

I swapped a mint copy of Colt 45's for Amanda Humphrey on USA, and the guy I did the deal with felt sorry so threw some other 30 quid cheapie..

Not the best deal I ever made..

Mal

Nope ! your right on there brother !

I got a tape of shifty from Southend with that Colt 45 ............ er 45, on it in the early 90s.............. been looking for it ever since !!

Its got every thing an independent blue eyed 60s Soul recording should have.

A) Powerful and Soulful

:cool: Out of tune :laugh:

C) Rare

D) Brilliant

You should give yourself a swift kick up the hoop every Friday at 2 P.M for letting that one slip through your fingers ! :laugh:

I must say, I do like the Amanda Humphrey 45 tho (I presume your talking about "The power of love")

its fooking ACE this collecting lark innit !! LOL

I'm not selling or swapping anything again ! LOL

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert