2011-06-25: Lifeline Real Deal Rare Soul All-Nighter

• Replies 133
  • Views 14.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

....One of the best records missed - i was in the carpark chatting to Beggsie when i thought i heard Waymond Hall..i had to check with Sam as no one else i asked knew what i was talking about; so record of the nite goes to -

Soul Sam with The Apollos - 'Soul Funk-Tion'

all IMO of course :lol:

Hi Dave, actually the Apollos is the instrumental version of "wwtb" and is on the flipside of Waymond Hall`s Jamal 45 :yes:

Hi Dave, actually the Apollos is the instrumental version of "wwtb" and is on the flipside of Waymond Hall`s Jamal 45 :yes:

Yes I have the 45 Marc...in fact i have Waymond Hall's very own copy :lol:

(what i couldn't tell was what it exactly was from the card park as i could only slighltyt hear the music)

I got that excited I had to ask him what it was as well! Sounded BRILLIANT loud and I couldn't help but grin widely as I funk-flapped all over the show dancing%20banana.gif

Its the last track on my Gloucester allniter Youtube thingy (Waymnod Hall being the first)...actuaslly i have youtubed both sides seperatly too...

I much prefer the vocal side - what a record! :lol:

The YouTube thingy is now happily installed in my car stereo :yes:

Edited by TheSoulgirl

Fabulous event - a privilege to be there once again... And the music was even better than last time we surfaced.

Unfortunately a doob too far saw me have to retire to the car for an extended session of mud wrestling with Rick/Sue's dog.

Wonderful to see Daz Dakin - must be a good 20 years since we last saw each other.

Daz - my email is dave@carnewhitney.com

Andy give me a shout on the book as I would be more than happy to contribute the design FOC in support of the Lifeline mission.

Dave and Pete

Edited by DaveNPete

Of course but there is nothing to forgive, nobody can be forced to attend anywhere, people do have a life outside the Rare/Northern Soul scene and there are other pressures on peoples lives, cost of living, petrol etc.

Also the scene has always had leaner times in the summer months due to holidays etc.

But like any venue, it needs support and if support isn't there then the venue won't be there simple as that really. It will be a busy August weekend as well. Lifeline has been lucky, no major clashes for much of its lifetime. But the last year or so has seen several events spring up and a few weekenders as well over the last few years.

Well explained Chalky - I got the impression from both Mick and Andy's posts that you all felt 'slighted' rather than 'slightly disappointed' after reading the Scottish folk made the effort and folk closer to home didn't, which is understandable, but as you explained it just got effected by too many events etc. I liked your comment "nobody can be forced to attend anywhere" it' a really dignified statement and posts like that attract people.

Sorry to single you out Terry but feel I want to point out (For the sake of the event) there's a wise old saying - "Keep your own council" maybe comments like "Soul night twits" shouldn't be said, who knows these "Soul night twits" may will also come to Augusts Life-line.

I'll probably get told off by some 'Mrs Bucket' (Keeping up appearances) for posting as I am one of the guilty ones that didn't attend. I, as many others presumed Life-line would most definitely have been busy. I'm sure folk will make the effort in August as this is the last nighter that anyone would want to close.

All the best,

Len.

p.s - Ref people smoking, it maybe an idea to have a couple of small speakers outside so they don't miss too much...Or there is the option of giving up smoking of course! :O)

p.p.s - Andy, what was the record Terry mentioned that you played at 4.30am? (If poss can you put up a sound clip?)

p.p.p.s! - Trev, sorry I missed you in action, not that you'd know it, respected you for years mate (Very nearly as much as Cliff!) - I knew you were some of the brains behind the outfit!

Edited by LEN

p.p.s - Andy, what was the record Terry mentioned that you played at 4.30am? (If poss can you put up a sound clip?)

Would that have been the Hopkins Brothers, Shake Cheri? YIPPEEEE

All the best,

Len.

p.s - Ref people smoking, it maybe an idea to have a couple of small speakers outside so they don't miss too much...Or there is the option of giving up smoking of course! :O)

p.p.p.s! - Trev, sorry I missed you in action, not that you'd know it, respected you for years mate (Very nearly as much as Cliff!) - I knew you were some of the brains behind the outfit!

It might be an idea not to have speakers so they do miss the tunes, might encourage them to get back inside.

I seriously think that if you had speakers outside a fair few would spend all night out there ................................ :ohmy: come to think of it NO ENTRANCE FEE :D bring a few cans & some lino to dance on you wouldn't have to go in, great idea. FREE NITERS FOR ALL except the twits :thumbsup::D

Always a great night, roll on the next one thumbsup.gif It did make me laugh the comment about soul night twits laugh.gif Quite a lot of people who attend soul nights, also attend the nighters, we're not all twits no.giflaugh.gif

That's the spirit, no harm done then! :thumbsup:

All the best,

Len.

Come to think of I saw quite a few soul night twits at Lifeline, most of which have been doing the soul nights and nighters for years laugh.gifWe all must be mad, or just enjoy great soul music hatsoff2.gifthumbsup.gif

Bit of both I recon! lol :thumbsup:

Len.

Guest BigPaul

Another top night at the Lifeline ,musically just mind blowing sets from all the djs on the night,like Andy says lot of regulars missing, Mansfield Lads were were you? York lads were were you ?

a few regular faces from Manchester & Nottm were missing ,

Were you having a Bridlington ice cream ?. & when you see travellers from Scotland making the effort no excuse,s for one hour driver s,don,t think we can take to many Lifeline Niters being down in numbers like this one, will be a sad day if Lifeline calls it a day due to lack of support from you

so no excuses for the next one put the date in your diary now SAT 27TH AUGUST & lets get back to what we are used to a packed Lifeline,

Mick H

Would like to apologise to all three of you for posting up and my no showyes.gif

Mick,

Sometimes, stuff gets in the way and unfortunately curtails some of the

things we enjoy. In my case last week, some home improvements took

far longer than expected and stuff backed up.

Have a cracking 50th mate. Will get you a beer when i get back from me hols.

Best Wishes

Paul

Guest gordon russell

I think it was the one Ted mentioned, The McGees - I'm Tired on Prelude.

ted dosn,t know the mcgees on prelude...............l have known this record for a long time,but it,s not the one andy played for me

Guest gordon russell

Always a great night, roll on the next one thumbsup.gif It did make me laugh the comment about soul night twits laugh.gif Quite a lot of people who attend soul nights, also attend the nighters, we're not all twits no.giflaugh.gif

this is true,but not everyone physically manhandles folk just because they didn,t play what they wanted........only happens at soul nights as i,ve seen on a few occasions..............think twits is a fine word to use compared to the vast array available biggrin.gif

Edited by gordon russell
Guest gordon russell

i have now heard it terry and did know it but never who it was by, i bow to your superior knowledge terry biggrin.gif

of course mate

ted dosn,t know the mcgees on prelude...............l have known this record for a long time,but it,s not the one andy played for me

I've been trying to remember what it could have been terrence,was it male ,female or transexual ? was it the flip of bernard drake -used to play the slower side years ago ? it's on La louisiana oh superior one ....twas nice to chat on saturday mate !

Guest gordon russell

I've been trying to remember what it could have been terrence,was it male ,female or transexual ? was it the flip of bernard drake -used to play the slower side years ago ? it's on La louisiana oh superior one ....twas nice to chat on saturday mate !

i,ve totally forgot..............could of been an instrumental with words..................it was deffo on a red label with red writing..........that bernard drake was a bit good thumbsup.gif see ya soon T

i,ve totally forgot..............could of been an instrumental with words..................it was deffo on a red label with red writing..........that bernard drake was a bit good thumbsup.gif see ya soon T

No wonder you can't remember what it was ....red label with red writing ..surely that would just be a red label :lol:

Guest gordon russell

No wonder you can't remember what it was ....red label with red writing ..surely that would just be a red label :lol:

remember now it was charlie drake on the b side of love on a mountain top brown label with red writing.........there ya go sorted thumbsup.gif:D ................think someone put something in my coca cola :D

remember now it was charlie drake on the b side of love on a mountain top brown label with red writing.........there ya go sorted :lol::D ................think someone put something in my coca cola :D

Probably about 30 odd years ago Terry.....keep taking the tablets mate rolleyes.gif

See you at Burnley :D

Edited by wilxy

remember now it was charlie drake on the b side of love on a mountain top brown label with red writing.........there ya go sorted :rolleyes::D ................think someone put something in my coca cola yes.gif

Wish someone wud put something in my cola... I think it's just dawned on me what it was ,with you sayin it was a red label i knew it had to be a blue label.. Fredrick knight's first record "steppin down" maxine ? if it ain't that then i ain't got a clue...

Guest gordon russell

Wish someone wud put something in my cola... I think it's just dawned on me what it was ,with you sayin it was a red label i knew it had to be a blue label.. Fredrick knight's first record "steppin down" maxine ? if it ain't that then i ain't got a clue...

thats it b-side of love on a mountain top by fredrick knight................be all round the midlands in no time at all :thumbsup::rolleyes:

Source Advert