New Member - Lorraine Chandler

Guest chorleybloke

Hi Lorraine, what an honour - welcome to soul-source. Your recordings are filling the floors all over the world still, "I Can't Change" is one of the biggest of them all down here in Perth, Australia.

Cheers.......Pete

Social source share

Hi Lorraine,

What a true honour to have you on here and how lovely of you to take the time to reply to everyone in person - you are a true legend!

Here's a few pics from the Great Yarmouth weekender from 1991. It was so exciting as a fresh faced 20 year old (where has all the time gone!) to see you, Eddie and Garland Green performing in person when me and my pals were dancing to your records every weekend. It was a fab weekend and it holds many happy memories (was my first soul weekender). Look at Eddie's big hat and even bigger grin! I sincerely hope you are over in these parts again soon and we can all thank you in person but in the meantime I hope you're feeling the love.

Best,

Rich

post-1228-0-64739000-1306089863_thumb.jp

post-1228-0-26833400-1306089890_thumb.jp

post-1228-0-69015900-1306089904_thumb.jp

Edited by Rich Buckley
Social source share

Yeah! I'm a Goddess!

It is mind blowing. I doubt that ten people know my songs here at home (it might be ten, counting my immediate family). But yes, it is a trip. A wonderful trip. What are my four anthems?

Lorraine

I think you'd be surprised Lorraine. The world's got a lot smaller than it was 35 years ago and now your records are known worldwide. Don't forget they've been used on countless compilation CD's many of which have been exported throughout the world! In fact I just used "I Can't Hold On" and "I Can't Change" on a top 100 album released just the other week (an official Sony release by the way). You can even have a listen again or buy a digital version of your own - but I'll send you a copy so you don't have to....send me your address and I'll get you some copies.....

The Best Of The Northern Soul Story

th_TheBestOfTheNorthernSoulStory.jpg?t=1306094876

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Best-Northern-Soul-Story/dp/tracks/B004I85CXA/ref=dp_tracks_all_1#disc_1

I think you have more fans knocking around than you think! You should register with the PRS over here and claim your artist royalties too. Could be a nice Xmas present!

Best,

Ian D :rolleyes:

Social source share

Hi Lorraine, what an honour - welcome to soul-source. Your recordings are filling the floors all over the world still, "I Can't Change" is one of the biggest of them all down here in Perth, Australia.

Cheers.......Pete

Hi Pete from Perth! :thumbup:

While I may appear old enough to be dead, I still do live shows from time to time and I've never been 'down under'! :rolleyes:

Thanks for the welcome!

Lorraine

Social source share

Hi Lorraine,

What a true honour to have you on here and how lovely of you to take the time to reply to everyone in person - you are a true legend!

Here's a few pics from the Great Yarmouth weekender from 1991. It was so exciting as a fresh faced 20 year old (where has all the time gone!) to see you, Eddie and Garland Green performing in person when me and my pals were dancing to your records every weekend. It was a fab weekend and it holds many happy memories (was my first soul weekender). Look at Eddie's big hat and even bigger grin! I sincerely hope you are over in these parts again soon and we can all thank you in person but in the meantime I hope you're feeling the love.

Best,

Rich

Rich,

Wow! Thanks for sharing (isn't it wonderful Reg!). Eddie's grin is even bigger now when we discuss you all. Yes, I truly am feeling the love and I thank you for posting these pictures. I'm so glad you kept them. I was right about you back then (the autograph). I don't have any pictures with me and others, so this forum is proving to be a treasure!

Lorraine

Edited by lorchand
Social source share

I think you'd be surprised Lorraine. The world's got a lot smaller than it was 35 years ago and now your records are known worldwide. Don't forget they've been used on countless compilation CD's many of which have been exported throughout the world! In fact I just used "I Can't Hold On" and "I Can't Change" on a top 100 album released just the other week (an official Sony release by the way). You can even have a listen again or buy a digital version of your own - but I'll send you a copy so you don't have to....send me your address and I'll get you some copies.....

The Best Of The Northern Soul Story

th_TheBestOfTheNorthernSoulStory.jpg?t=1306094876

https://www.amazon.co...ks_all_1#disc_1

I think you have more fans knocking around than you think! You should register with the PRS over here and claim your artist royalties too. Could be a nice Xmas present!

Best,

Ian D :thumbup:

Thanks Ian for the info.

I don't think folks realize that artist make their money by working (gigs). A popular record affords you to work and a hit record can sustain you for a couple of years.

Each country is different in paying royalties (writers, publishers) and artist (even me) are not told the ins and outs of applying and receiving royalties. Did anyone contact the publishers for the mechanic licence on those two releases? :rolleyes: While I'm pretty knowledgeable about the business, there's so much boot legging, it hard to keep up.

Lorraine

Social source share

Thanks Ian for the info.

I don't think folks realize that artist make their money by working (gigs). A popular record affords you to work and a hit record can sustain you for a couple of years.

Each country is different in paying royalties (writers, publishers) and artist (even me) are not told the ins and outs of applying and receiving royalties. Did anyone contact the publishers for the mechanic licence on those two releases? :rolleyes: While I'm pretty knowledgeable about the business, there's so much boot legging, it hard to keep up.

Lorraine

Well you're on plenty of legit releases for sure. Here's a few, but it's best to work from the MCPS database to check everything that's been issued (they're not all here for instance):-

https://www.discogs.com/artist/Lorraine+Chandler?noanv=1#t=Appearances_All&q=&p=1

Well I think if you register all the songs you've performed on with the PRS in the UK, then you're entitled to claim artist royalties for any album you've appeared on or any song released as far as I'm aware. Quite a few Detroit musicians (the Just Brothers for instance) recently signed-up and collected accrued income from this area.

Paul Mooney on this thread knows all the ins and outs better than I do so he could probably explain things more accurately plus I can put you in touch with someone @ the PRS (a Soul fan as it happens) who'll take you through the process. Let me know and I'll PM you a couple of contact numbers which could be useful OK?

At the very least you should be getting some publishing income from over here anyway - you might need to chase your publishers as well Lorraine. I mean you just had 2 tracks on a hit compilation so there should be a few things to chase up!

Best,

Ian D :thumbup:

Social source share

Well you're on plenty of legit releases for sure. Here's a few, but it's best to work from the MCPS database to check everything that's been issued (they're not all here for instance):-

https://www.discogs.c...nces_All&q=&p=1

Well I think if you register all the songs you've performed on with the PRS in the UK, then you're entitled to claim artist royalties for any album you've appeared on or any song released as far as I'm aware. Quite a few Detroit musicians (the Just Brothers for instance) recently signed-up and collected accrued income from this area.

Paul Mooney on this thread knows all the ins and outs better than I do so he could probably explain things more accurately plus I can put you in touch with someone @ the PRS (a Soul fan as it happens) who'll take you through the process. Let me know and I'll PM you a couple of contact numbers which could be useful OK?

At the very least you should be getting some publishing income from over here anyway - you might need to chase your publishers as well Lorraine. I mean you just had 2 tracks on a hit compilation so there should be a few things to chase up!

Best,

Ian D :hatsoff2:

Thanks Ian, I'm on it!

Lorraine

Social source share

Thanks Ian, I'm on it!

Lorraine

Ian,

Just left Discogs! Who supplies the info? Is anything sacred! I'm still picking myself up off the floor! The Black Magic label, 1975 has me listed as the singer on Love You Baby (I haven't heard the other side), I hope folks can hear that it is not, I repeat, not me singing. They're still selling that today.

Lorraine

Edited by lorchand
Social source share

Ian,

Just left Discogs! Who supplies the info? Is anything sacred! I'm still picking myself up off the floor! The Black Magic label, 1975 has me listed as the singer on Love You Baby (I haven't heard the other side), I hope folks can hear that it is not, I repeat, not me singing. They're still selling that today.

Lorraine

Most of us know its not you Lorraine, a cheap bootleg done like lots of others for the northern soul scene back in the 70s.

Not taken seriously at all

Social source share

Guest Paul

https://www.discogs.c...nces_All&q=&p=1

Best,

Ian D :D

Hello Ian,

Lorraine's songs (or portions of songs which she controls) are already registered with MCPS and PRS because I was her sub-publisher for a few years.

Most claims are portions of one song on CDs containing many songs so the mechanical royalty income is small - and in the case of the budget-price 'Northern Soul Story' 2CD set it was 50% of one song out of 45 songs.

It was fantastic value for consumers (I bought a copy for only £3.99) but sadly not for writers and publishers. Each individual song earned less than half of one penny (gross) in mechanical royalties per album sale.

So for half of one song to earn $60 (gross income) it would have to sell more than 10,000 copies. As a consumer I love budget-price albums but as a publisher I hate them! :thumbsup:

Sadly, most other activity in recent years has been bootlegs (especially 'Love You Baby' by Eddie Parker) and those guys don't pay anyone at all.

As for artist royalties, Lorraine might confirm if she earns anything from Sony/BMG (RCA) but, if she did, it would be small money.

Unless an artist or a writer has control of a large and active catalogue it's not easy to make very much money, that's why every penny counts.

It's also sadly ironic that Lorraine's best selling record (in fact, her only UK release) was actually by an imposter! Simon Soussan had no shame at all.

Best wishes,

Paul

Social source share

Guest Paul

Ian,

Lorraine

Hello again Lorraine,

I remember you confirmed to me that it wasn't you. I spread the word but some people probably still thought it was you because it has your name on the label.

The "producer" Simon Soussan was a notorious bootlegger who recorded a girl singing over the Eddie Parker backing track and had the nerve to use your name. I'm not sure who the singer actually was but someone in this community might know.

From now on you should call yourself "The Real Lorraine Chandler".

:thumbsup:

Best wishes,

Paul

Social source share

Hello Lorraine

Clad you found soul source,great memories of you singing at Stafford in 83 .love all your recordings ,your version of you only live twice should have been used in the 007 film IMHO what a soulful voice you have.

Atb. Boff

Social source share

Hello again Lorraine,

I remember you confirmed to me that it wasn't you. I spread the word but some people probably still thought it was you because it has your name on the label.

The "producer" Simon Soussan was a notorious bootlegger who recorded a girl singing over the Eddie Parker backing track and had the nerve to use your name. I'm not sure who the singer actually was but someone in this community might know.

From now on you should call yourself "The Real Lorraine Chandler".

:D

Best wishes,

Paul

Thanks Paul for the info but there is only one 'me' and I'm as real as you can get. Gee, I'm talking to you now more than when we were together (let's some gossip roll around that!). :thumbsup: Take care.

Lorraine

Social source share

Hello Lorraine

Clad you found soul source,great memories of you singing at Stafford in 83 .love all your recordings ,your version of you only live twice should have been used in the 007 film IMHO what a soulful voice you have.

Atb. Boff

Hi Boff,

Thanks for the compliments. To see the song being recognized now is a blessing. For those involved, I hope they are as happy about it as I am.

Lorraine

Social source share

Hi Lorraine,

I have only just found this thread and to say I am suprised/happy/blown away would be something of an understatement.

I first heard I Can't Change by Yvonne Baker in 74 and then heard your version pretty soon afterwards. Normally I tend to stick with the first version I hear of any record, (I prefer Kim Weston Helpless to the Tops, even though the Tops recorded it first), but not once I heard you singing it! I then managed to buy I Can't Hold On in 75. What a record. It really has everything.

A few years later after I had sold all my records, I heard Tell Me You're Mine. It completely blew me away. What a singer I thought......and then I heard What Can I Do! To this day it still holds my attention in a way only a handful of records can. Then I was introduced to She Don't Want You and never realised that I once owned it! That sax and backing vocals!!

I bought the Soul Superman LP by the Hesitations. Probably the best album ever. What could beat this? Then Ady unearthed You Only Live Twice and I nearly bloody fainted. I knew it was LC as soon as i heard the first words.

I have been a huge fan of yours since 74 and think your 5 Northern tracks are 5 of the best the scene has ever played. You have also been responsible for writing some unbelievable stuff for other artists.

Welcome to Soul Source, but more than that, I am so pleased that even though you know a few soul fans in the UK and have been aware of the scene for years, maybe now you will understand the esteem you are held in in the UK and other countries. I hope your family see all the replies too, because they should know and understand the effect you have had on so many peoples lives. You have certainly affected my life and I am so happy that you are here on Soul Source.

I once held Brenda Holloways hand as we were both singing Starting the Hurt All Over Again, an absolute dream come true for me. I dare to dream that you will come to the UK again and I will be present when you sing any of your songs and once again receive the adulation you deserve.

Brian B

Social source share

Guest Paul

My mind is now sufficiently boggled...wink.gif

Hello Russell,

Always remember that idle gossip comes from the devil's workshop ...but don't forget there's no smoke without fire.

That's what they say!

:thumbsup:

Social source share

Russ,

The work and the hopes that were put into that song to be submitted for a James Bond movie, OMG! It was like a fantasy to me. I was very sad when we were not chosen, but hey, look at us now!

Lorraine

'You only live twice' may not have made the James Bond film, but I'm pretty sure it made the opening credits to a Channel 4 documentary about the Cleethorpes weekender. Fab tune!

A massive welcome Lorraine! :rolleyes:

Social source share

Hi Lorraine,

I have only just found this thread and to say I am suprised/happy/blown away would be something of an understatement.

I first heard I Can't Change by Yvonne Baker in 74 and then heard your version pretty soon afterwards. Normally I tend to stick with the first version I hear of any record, (I prefer Kim Weston Helpless to the Tops, even though the Tops recorded it first), but not once I heard you singing it! I then managed to buy I Can't Hold On in 75. What a record. It really has everything.

A few years later after I had sold all my records, I heard Tell Me You're Mine. It completely blew me away. What a singer I thought......and then I heard What Can I Do! To this day it still holds my attention in a way only a handful of records can. Then I was introduced to She Don't Want You and never realised that I once owned it! That sax and backing vocals!!

I bought the Soul Superman LP by the Hesitations. Probably the best album ever. What could beat this? Then Ady unearthed You Only Live Twice and I nearly bloody fainted. I knew it was LC as soon as i heard the first words.

I have been a huge fan of yours since 74 and think your 5 Northern tracks are 5 of the best the scene has ever played. You have also been responsible for writing some unbelievable stuff for other artists.

Welcome to Soul Source, but more than that, I am so pleased that even though you know a few soul fans in the UK and have been aware of the scene for years, maybe now you will understand the esteem you are held in in the UK and other countries. I hope your family see all the replies too, because they should know and understand the effect you have had on so many peoples lives. You have certainly affected my life and I am so happy that you are here on Soul Source.

I once held Brenda Holloways hand as we were both singing Starting the Hurt All Over Again, an absolute dream come true for me. I dare to dream that you will come to the UK again and I will be present when you sing any of your songs and once again receive the adulation you deserve.

Brian B

Thank you Brian B. I'm so glad that you enjoyed the records and hopefully, I can find my way back there again (where's your area?)

Lorraine

Social source share

'You only live twice' may not have made the James Bond film, but I'm pretty sure it made the opening credits to a Channel 4 documentary about the Cleethorpes weekender. Fab tune!

A massive welcome Lorraine! :rolleyes:

Thanks for the welcome Maark.

Lorraine

Social source share

Ian,

Loving this forum! Everybody is getting educated on publishing! I might get ten dollars/pounds out of this! Couldn't find Paul Mooney, now here he is. I'm loving it! :hatsoff2:

Lorraine

Me too LOL. I've never made jack-shit from publishing but I have been scalped a few times. :hatsoff2:

I think Paul actually put it in perspective with comment on the royalty rates and Ady reminded me that a Top 100 compilation album these days sounds much better than the reality (once a promoter, always a promoter LOL). Royalty rates are abysmal these days so there's not a lot in the pot with declining CD sales anyway but I didn't realise you were already kinda connected. I presume you'll aready be registered with everyone in that case.

Looks like we'll have to get you over for some more live gigs then by the looks of it! :rolleyes:

Ian D X :thumbsup:

Social source share

Hello Ian,

Lorraine's songs (or portions of songs which she controls) are already registered with MCPS and PRS because I was her sub-publisher for a few years.

Most claims are portions of one song on CDs containing many songs so the mechanical royalty income is small - and in the case of the budget-price 'Northern Soul Story' 2CD set it was 50% of one song out of 45 songs.

It was fantastic value for consumers (I bought a copy for only £3.99) but sadly not for writers and publishers. Each individual song earned less than half of one penny (gross) in mechanical royalties per album sale.

So for half of one song to earn $60 (gross income) it would have to sell more than 10,000 copies. As a consumer I love budget-price albums but as a publisher I hate them! :rolleyes:

Sadly, most other activity in recent years has been bootlegs (especially 'Love You Baby' by Eddie Parker) and those guys don't pay anyone at all.

As for artist royalties, Lorraine might confirm if she earns anything from Sony/BMG (RCA) but, if she did, it would be small money.

Unless an artist or a writer has control of a large and active catalogue it's not easy to make very much money, that's why every penny counts.

It's also sadly ironic that Lorraine's best selling record (in fact, her only UK release) was actually by an imposter! Simon Soussan had no shame at all.

Best wishes,

Paul

Just to add to what Paul and Ian have both said, please note that PRS only deals with Composers, Authors and Publishers, NOT PERFORMERS, and MCPS is similar. I wouldn't necessarily rely 100% what on the MCPS database either, bootlegs do find their way on there, as some less than honest record companies issue what appears on the surface as 'official' recordings and they don't have the necessary licences from the original copywriter owners.

Tim (PRS)

(Ian who's your PRS contact?)

Edited by timthemod
Social source share

Just to add to what Paul and Ian have both said, please note that PRS only deals with Composers, Authors and Publishers, NOT PERFORMERS, and MCPS is similar. I wouldn't necessarily rely 100% what on the MCPS database either, bootlegs do find their way on there, as some less than honest record companies issue what appears on the surface as 'official' recordings and they don't have the necessary licences from the original copywriter owners.

Tim (PRS)

Stevie Cee. I'm known him a few years as a Souly but never realised he worked @ PRS until last week! I think he works on the magazine.....?

Mmm. That's weird. I could have sworn that someone quite established in publishing told me that performers can claim via the PRS for any record they've performed on in almost any capacity? Where do performers go if not the Performing Rights Society then? It's still pretty confusing to me and I've been around since the year dot......

Ian D :lol:

Social source share

Hello Lorraine,

Just picked up this thread as I've been out of the country and away from a computer. It's wonderful to have you as a member on here!

Like most collectors on this site, I too have some of your RCA 45s, also one on SEPIA credited to 'Four Sonics + 1' ....'Tell Me You're Mine' ...I'm presuming the '1' is yourself? Did you work with the Four Sonics on any other tracks? Apologies if you have already answered previously.

Johnny

Edited by Soul-Slider
Social source share

Guest Paul

Stevie Cee. I'm known him a few years as a Souly but never realised he worked @ PRS until last week! I think he works on the magazine.....?

Mmm. That's weird. I could have sworn that someone quite established in publishing told me that performers can claim via the PRS for any record they've performed on in almost any capacity? Where do performers go if not the Performing Rights Society then? It's still pretty confusing to me and I've been around since the year dot......

Ian D :yes:

Hello Ian,

You're thinking about PPL.

It's easy to get confused, especially at your age (...you know I didn't really mean that).

:lol:

Seriously, a lot of people get PPL confused with PRS.

Best wishes,

Paul

Social source share

Guest Paul

Tim (PRS)

Hello Tim,

It's amazing how many people assume MCPS and PRS (and even BMI and ASCAP etc) deal with artists, it's often discussed and clarified on this forum.

What department are you in?

Paul

Social source share

Hello Ian,

It's easy to get confused, especially at your age (...you know I didn't really mean that).

:yes:

Best wishes,

Paul

LOL. That's exactly what I've done. I don't blame people for being confused though - MCPS, PRS, PPL. If I was a foreign musician I'd be mystified.....

Mmm. Hang on............maybe that's the whole point! :lol:

Ian D :shhh:

Social source share

Guest Paul

LOL. That's exactly what I've done. I don't blame people for being confused though - MCPS, PRS, PPL. If I was a foreign musician I'd be mystified..... Mmm. Hang on............maybe that's the whole point! :lol: Ian D :shhh:

Hello again,

Yeah it can be confusing - and probably to someone's advantage, as you said.

I'm with MCPS, PRS, MPA, PPL and some overseas societies (BMI, BUMA, STEMRA, GEMA etc) through my agents Imagem Music Group. If it wasn't for them I'd have to learn some foreign languages ...and I had enough trouble learning how to speak English!

But I'd like to point out that I'm not a member of FIFA. If I was, I'd be living in a mansion on the hill.

Paul

[corrected spelling]

Edited by Paul
Social source share

Hi Paul

I work in the Music Reporting Team at PRS, which is responsible for getting in all the data from various revenue streams - TV, Radio, Live, and Online. Although I've worked here for the past 28 years so I guess I know a fair deal of what goes on here, but there's always new things I don't know about. Are your agents 'Imagem' (Boosey & Hawkes) rather than Imogen?

Edited by timthemod
Social source share

Guest Paul

Hi Paul

I work in the Music Reporting Team at PRS, which is responsible for getting in all the data from various revenue streams - TV, Radio, Live, and Online. Although I've worked here for the past 28 years so I guess I know a fair deal of what goes on here, but there's always new things I don't know about. Are your agents 'Imagem' (Boosey & Hawkes) rather than Imogen?

Hello again Tim,

28 years is a long time! Did you know Al Blaazer when he was there?

Imagem Music Group are our agents. My deal is with their parent company in Holland and they represent Millbrand through Imagem offices in various countries around the world. They have offices in London of course but I still control the UK myself.

They must be the biggest independent publishers in the world now, they've been buying everyone up.

Best wishes,

Paul

[no spelling mistakes here, ha ha]

Edited by Paul
Social source share

Hi Lorraine, I was trying to hold out to be the winner of the "last one to say welcome" competition, but it looks like it may go on for weeks, so WELCOME LORRAINE and take no notice if anyone says anything about me :lol:

Hi Pete S,

Don't you worry, I can't wait for somebody to start talking, I'll be all ears! Thanks for the welcome and send me those cute kids.

Lorraine

Social source share

Ian D :shhh:

Yeah, let's get it on! :lol: Find out Ian, then get back in your corner!

Duh!, Not being a diva or anything, don't forget this is ALL about me, me, me. :yes: Kidding aside (not really), this is a wonderful exchange. Just think Ian, you've been around since the rocks and still learning something. Me too! (Did I really go there, the age thing?) Just think how more knowlegeable we will all be after this.

Lorraine

Social source share

Hello Lorraine,

Just picked up this thread as I've been out of the country and away from a computer. It's wonderful to have you as a member on here!

Like most collectors on this site, I too have some of your RCA 45s, also one on SEPIA credited to 'Four Sonics + 1' ....'Tell Me You're Mine' ...I'm presuming the '1' is yourself? Did you work with the Four Sonics on any other tracks? Apologies if you have already answered previously.

Johnny

Hi Johnny,

Thank you. No, the '1' is actually the late Johnny Dixon. I think a lot of people thought that. Yes, I did, off the top of my head, Where Are You, I think that was theirs. Sometimes I get the group and the songs mixed up without checking. Apologies to you if I'm wrong.

Lorraine

Social source share

Guest Paul

Lorraine,

Feel free to kick some asses when people get into off-topic discussions on your forum!

I know I got involved but it wan't me who started it...

Paul

Social source share

Hello Ian,

Best wishes,

Paul

Who the hell is the PPL? Clarify the initials for us lay people! Thank you.

Lorraine

Social source share

Guest Paul

Lorraine,

Feel free to kick some asses when people get into off-topic discussions on your forum!

Paul

..I'm not a snitch but I think it was Ian Dewhirst.

Social source share

Lorraine,

Paul

Believe me Paul, this is ALL good! (and I will!) I'm enjoying your input too.

Lorraine

Social source share

Tim (PRS)

Hi Tim,

I didn't see you sneak in there amongst them. Thanks for the input.

Lorraine

Social source share

Guest Paul

Who the hell is the PPL? Clarify the initials for us lay people! Thank you.

Lorraine

Hello Lorraine,

The old name for PPL was Phonographic Performance Ltd. They collect public performance fees for repertoire owners and artists / performers (similar to what PRS, BMI and ASCAP do for writers and publishers).

You can join PPL and register your performances as an artist in case any royalties accrue (they use ISRC numbering etc to track performances). Don't expect to get rich because most people never earn a penny from them, but I suppose it's worth doing because membership is free for artists.

And they link with similar organisations overseas.

Have a look at their website: https://www.ppluk.com/

Paul

Social source share

Hello Tim,

It's amazing how many people assume MCPS and PRS (and even BMI and ASCAP etc) deal with artists, it's often discussed and clarified on this forum.

What department are you in?

Paul

What?! What department are you in? Are you going to the man's job ? :lol: Down, Paul.

I know I'm new here, and It's a forum and we're suppose to communicate... (and it's about ME!).

Lorraine

Edited by lorchand
Social source share

Hello again Tim,

28 years is a long time! Did you know Al Blaazer when he was there?

Imagem Music Group are our agents. My deal is with their parent company in Holland and they represent Millbrand through Imagem offices in various countries around the world. They have offices in London of course but I still control the UK myself.

They must be the biggest independent publishers in the world now, they've been buying everyone up.

Best wishes,

Paul

[no spelling mistakes here, ha ha]

:lol: Did we just have a wedding here? Unless you're educating us all, start your own thread?

Do you know Al...the nerve!

Lorraine

Edited by lorchand
Social source share

Hello Lorraine,

The old name for PPL was Phonographic Performance Ltd. They collect public performance fees for repertoire owners and artists / performers (similar to what PRS, BMI and ASCAP do for writers and publishers).

You can join PPL and register your performances as an artist in case any royalties accrue (they use ISRC numbering etc to track performances). Don't expect to get rich because most people never earn a penny from them, but I suppose it's worth doing because membership is free for artists.

And they link with similar organisations overseas.

Have a look at their website: https://www.ppluk.com/

Paul

Thank you Paul. See, people are seeing how smart you are. So far, by what I gather, these organizations are not paying money unless you're Lady Ga Ga or somebody.

Lorraine

Social source share

Hi Johnny,

Thank you. No, the '1' is actually the late Johnny Dixon. I think a lot of people thought that. Yes, I did, off the top of my head, Where Are You, I think that was theirs. Sometimes I get the group and the songs mixed up without checking. Apologies to you if I'm wrong.

Lorraine

Definitely a female lead on the Sepia 45 'Tell Me You're Mine' track, sure sounds like you!!huh.gif

I can't post soundfiles but hopefully someone on here can....

Social source share

Guest Paul

Thank you Paul. See, people are seeing how smart you are. So far, by what I gather, these organizations are not paying money unless you're Lady Ga Ga or somebody.

Lorraine

Ha, I'm not smart, it just happens to be my job so I answered some questions.

And you've got it, most artists don't earn much or anything from PPL. But membership is free so there's nothing to lose, apart from a bit of time.

As for Lady Ga Ga, she's already got too much money! You could download the whole album for just 99 cents yesterday (...not that I did).

But we're off-topic again so let's talk about something more soulful.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!