Pete Waterman Northern Soul

Smudger

Aww jeez let it go, go and play on the Chris Evans thread he deserves it. We get your point, its one of your many irrelevants ones and particularly irrelevant on here, so lets not make this all about you eh. Anway Eric Hobsbawm is now being debated and slagged off on politics thread, surely you want to go and save him rather than worry about a piss*d celebrity making a twat of himself, hardly unusual....

And a very Happy Christmas to you.... :yes: (About me? I think you've had far more to say on the subject!)....

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Your so right Carol, the current scene in all its forms is so full of tragedy and comedy it would make for great entertainment :yes:. themes like lost youth and missed chances, ego's over-ruling quality in the music, and obviously the ever increasing commercialation of the scene are just the kind of subject matter that a Bleasdale or meadows could do wonders with.

Sounds good to me............... :thumbup:

Social source share

Doin well Jock, hitting the high seas for festive season and was just podcasting for the haul.

Shall be recording tonights R2 to analyze offshore lol

Its true to say that anybody dipping their bunions into the scene whether they had history or not, will be questioned on either this or another forum.

Does anybody on the forum know of any other celeb that could or would help publicise a scene from 40 year ago?

I am racking my brains and from a promotion side of things, I cant come up with much, and whoever it is/was, would never be good enough for a lot of people on here.

We could have no history at all documented, and just listen to the stories from Grandad when he were a lad. How blurred would the scene be then?

The music is never gonna disappear, but will regroup into different forms and genres, everybody deserves a slice of it.

Good or bad, true or false all lead to healthy debates an ah fahkin love gossip!

I might agree/disagree with somethings that Pete says on radio tonight but you have to remember his lifeline didnt follow the same path as many .

Lets have a listen and at least hear what else he has to say. He may be put to rights by his guests ;)

Social source share

Gareth I love you, in a very manly pat on the back strongly sort of way obviously. You are under instruction to join us at 100 Club Xmas party and first drink on me for your two posts.

Can anyone grinding their gums about this actually argue with any what Gareth says,and articulate that argument? I did think of responding earlier but mines was full of swear words and sarcastic put downs because I just don't get most of the responses on this,

Glad I didn't as Mr Sweeney, succinctly and perfectly, and Ms Hamilton, less succinctly (obviously) but equally perfectly just get it right.

Other than Mr Waterman's rather unhealthy obsession with male miners and their coal lamps, he was as cheesy as you would expect but f**k me he was enthusiastic and he certainly didn't try and say he knew it all. And jeez you cannot fault the man for the publicity he is getting for Elaine which I assume is great for her. Whats to fault with this?

And for those implying surprise at there being any miners at Wigan? WTF that is on a par with BinStanley's no drug comments. Sure the Mansfield lads would verify, as were most of my Tranent lads, so there were definitely more than a few there, although not quite sure why Petey thought they all were, maybe something to with their lamps for eyes at night......

:D

I was rushing my post somewhat, whilst multi-tasking, cheese savoury in the gob, iphone in hand, eye on the clock. I couldn't afford to be late back from lunch as well, blimey, I'd already blamed my poor time-keeping on Northern Soul :rolleyes: my boss would throw the book at me had I tried to use it again ..... in the same day :lol:

Thankfully, you & others have elaborated on my lunchtime rant :D and got the message across much clearer :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest allnightandy

Doin well Jock, hitting the high seas for festive season and was just podcasting for the haul.

Shall be recording tonights R2 to analyze offshore lol

Its true to say that anybody dipping their bunions into the scene whether they had history or not, will be questioned on either this or another forum.

Does anybody on the forum know of any other celeb that could or would help publicise a scene from 40 year ago?

I am racking my brains and from a promotion side of things, I cant come up with much, and whoever it is/was, would never be good enough for a lot of people on here.

We could have no history at all documented, and just listen to the stories from Grandad when he were a lad. How blurred would the scene be then?

The music is never gonna disappear, but will regroup into different forms and genres, everybody deserves a slice of it.

Good or bad, true or false all lead to healthy debates an ah fahkin love gossip!

I might agree/disagree with somethings that Pete says on radio tonight but you have to remember his lifeline didnt follow the same path as many .

Lets have a listen and at least hear what else he has to say. He may be put to rights by his guests ;)

Peter Stringfellow ?
Social source share

I think it's perfectly reasonable to speculate exactly what the positives might be but my over-riding interest in all of this is that if a film should be made using the Northern Soul scene as its source material that it should be given the best chance to succeed by having a soul fan at the helm. Elaine's film is the best chance we'll ever have of accomplishing that aim. A wonderfully talented director now has the chance to create something with the potential to live outside of the normal (pretty rotten) experience the scene has had with the mainstream media.

If the film happened to be commercially successful I don't think it would necessarily follow that it would have a massive impact in the ways Bearsy mentions above. I enjoyed Trainspotting but it didn't make we want to move to Edinburgh and become a heroin addict.

I don't know if the reason for making the film is to Save The Scene, or increase venue attendances or to ensure there is someone to sell our records to when we all peg it.

None of those considerations would ever go away if the film were not to be made or if the idea of the film never existed. That is a fact.

Elaine is a film-maker who wishes to tell a story or convey a series of emotions about her life and her experiences first and foremost. Getting a feature film off the ground is a tremendously difficult enterprise and any reservations about aspects of the publicity machine inherent in that process have to be put into the correct context.

As well as your posts making complete sense to me :thumbsup: that made me howl just as much as PW's leaving your teeth at the door comment :lol: :lol:

Social source share

Guest allnightandy

I knew somebody would say the Mojo King :thumbup:

Or Even dare i say Ian Levine (He is actually on it ) :ohmy:

Up to now i haven't heard Pete ! But i did miss first 12 mins (Footy)

Great programme lots of tunes with lots of small contributions

Edited by allnightandy
Social source share

Guest allnightandy

Off the scene by about 1970, before many of us were born matey :facepalm: and well before the 'WC' was opened for northern business.

He asked for an alternative name , I gave one ! He has appeared in other documentaries ?
Social source share

Sure was and i'm still on the scene and Still a miner.Mid to late 70s the Doncaster areas main employers were Pits and railways.There were hundreds of miners that were on the scene at that time.I thought the clip came over well by far the best i have scene on T.V and all my pit mates at work today were full of positive comments which for them is rare

Jeez mate don't say that too loud. Thatcher's not dead yet, and sure she still has a list of outstanding grudges and some sway with the security forces. If you hear a knock at the door tomorrow don't answer, thell them you became a civil servant years ago..... :D

Social source share

Guest allnightandy

In the context of who it's really aimed at on national radio, wouldn't you say that (so far), this is one of the more tasteful efforts? Pretty good so far I reckon.

Cheers,

Mark R

Agreed !
Social source share

Why does it have to have any relevance to the scene Paul, its a film, and should be based on film rules and will it be a good film is surely only criteria. Elaine is putting her heart and soul, and unbelievable time into this, so as Gareth says if anyone can do it she can.

I suppose the only parallel is Quadrophenia, which did result in lots of people joining, but that was more about an ongoing Mod revival which seems to be happening anyway today. So surely that is more likely to swamp the scene with youngsters and from what I can see no-one seems to have a problem with the young guys starting up city centre nights, which surely is more relevant to todays "upfront" scene, or at least the one you are interested in. This seems to be happening anyway,and getting good praise, therefore I doubt the sort of people that go to these nights or search out the more authentic side are really likely to be influenced by much other than what they judge is cool, otherwise they aren't worth worrying about to be honest.

To be honest, with the maze of scenes out there anyway, why would anyone getting back into it because of any film find their way through to the same scene as you inhabit anyway, surely they would find their way back to the oldies scene, which as you say already have their problems anyway and to be honest I suspect are full of returnees anyway, why would an new infusion be any different to what has been happening there for the last 10 years. .

To be honest mate, if you think either PW or a film is the biggest threat to any decent Northern scene that still exists you have taken your eye of the ball, it seems to doing a good job of imploding all on its own and I think any rush of new (aka old returnees with no teeth) blood would be almost invisible to it. Kev Roberts would likely be one of the main beneficaries

easy tiger i aint once knocked the film i cant wait to see it myself, i only put up positives and negatives cos a few had put on here it can only be good for the scene to help keep it alive cos it needs youngsters to carry the music on and some are saying why do we need people that dont get the scene in the scene, if you want i will find the posts, i personally hope it does bring more fresh and enthusiastic peeps to the scene and they embrace it for what it is and i hope Elaine gets the support that SoulBoy did, i for one will defo watch the film,

i only questioned what purpose and relevance of PW, it would be like me going on tv and talking about the rave scene, i was massively into it 25 years ago from the very beginning but know fook all about it today although i could name plenty of tunes artists and djs, then again im not famous or had been and i get the feeling thats why many questioned, moaned, slated the inclusion of PW and his obvious no idea of the present day scene, anyhows Jock hope your well matey long time no see :hatsoff2:

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

This is actually very good, credible higher profile commentators, some good commentators not heard before, and commentary from the punter end of it isn't as poxy as most of what I've heard before.

In short, it's proper and not some veiled piss take that embarasses you. I'm quite impressed, and it's nice to be able to say that! :-)

Cheers,

Mark R

Well said Mark. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Top Marks to Mr Waterman interesting interviews sound like you done a bit of digging from credibale people great music in between look forward to the next one ?

NOT AT ALL WHAT I EXPECTED

Social source share

Nice to hear that the 'scene' is radical as ever - people queueing outside the Wheel at 3pm whilst most normal folks are eating Sunday lunch - Whoah!

Another missed opportunity to illustrate how the scene has progressed over the last 40 years.

The Snake sounded great though didn't it?

Social source share

easy tiger i aint once knocked the film i cant wait to see it myself, i only put up positives and negatives cos a few had put on here it can only be good for the scene to help keep it alive cos it needs youngsters to carry the music on and some are saying why do we need people that dont get the scene in the scene, if you want i will find the posts,

I know you hadn't mate, and didn't mean to imply that. I had seen the other posts, and that's my central point, I think the negatives and positives will be so minimal to the bit of the scene you are on that it's irrelevant; I think the youngsters that get into any sort of progressive scene will do so through already existing channels. Some may drift along from the oldies scene, as seems to be happening now but I would be amazed if it has any sort of real impact. My other point, hence the mention of the film, is every time we talk about the film it gets on to the scene, and people get very defensive. I just think the film deserves debated on its own merits. The more I hear about it, the more I get excited about it, I really have high hopes much same as I did as the original Wigan play, and that turned out even better than hoped.

but I genuin, it may bring some along i personally hope it does bring more fresh and enthusiastic peeps to the scene and they embrace it for what it is and i hope Elaine gets the support that SoulBoy did, i for one will defo watch the film,

i only questioned what purpose and relevance of PW, it would be like me going on tv and talking about the rave scene, i was massively into it 25 years ago from the very beginning but know fook all about it today although i could name plenty of tunes artists and djs, then again im not famous or had been and i get the feeling thats why many questioned, moaned, slated the inclusion of PW and his obvious no idea of the present day scene,

I don't get out enough to worry about new people, but if I did I would hope that the film would only be one bit of their interest, otherwise they wont stick, so yes you may get a small initial blip but I suspect it wont hit too high on the Richter scale, I do get the PW comments, but it's a necessary evil in many ways on this, and that's why I think it is important to debate it about the film and not his part of the scene. To be fair to him, when Elaine meet him first time, she said he was very humble and genuinely interested in things of today, and certainly not the big I am or as if he thought he still knew it all. As per my spat on the Chris Evans thread I am always mystified by peoples concern on celebrities views on the current scene, unless they are out on a Saturday they are irrelevant, which means I am probably shooting my self in the foot a little here!! :D

I do think there is a whole lot of irony in some of the loudest voices against Pete (and not you obviously) having been off scene for about 20-30 years and now railing him for not been around....... :wicked:

Anyhows Jock hope your well matey long time no see :hatsoff2:

I am alright mate, living a bit quietly, partly work and partly focusing on new music a little at moment again, although not much going on in the contemporary soul scene these days. Think my travelling days are over, although a little spurt over festive season just for old times sake.

I hope you are also okay, and next pint on you and we can talk about our football teams current woes, much more interesting than this soul rubbish, :hatsoff2:

Edited by jocko
Social source share

Except they just played the Snake... :( ..........I think it is a decent show on the whole nonetheless...... :yes:

The silly thing is I quite enjoyed listening to The Snake, it's not a tune that I hear anymore, and it took me back to when I first heard it, a mod club called Cloud Nine in Manchester in 1985 at the tender age of 16.

I didn't mind listening to any of the tunes played tonight (in the comfort of my own home) as they all mean't something to me somewhere down my Timeline :thumbsup:

Social source share

Got to say pleasantly surprised, same old same old tunes, but that okay cos this was aimed at the unconverted I suppose.

Liked the way it ended with the Epitome thing & also a little bit about 100 club moving the scene on with younger people.

Only slight criticism if any, not actually enough about the rare soul, and all the great rare soul still to be discovered & where that can take the scene forward. Also it's not all amphet fuelled uptempo anymore, more soulful & chilled now,no one doing backdrops & splits anymore like they made sound, but all in all, not bad at all I'd say, cos I was expecting worse.

Aid.

Social source share

The silly thing is I quite enjoyed listening to The Snake, it's not a tune that I hear anymore, and it took me back to when I first heard it, a mod club called Cloud Nine in Manchester in 1985 at the tender age of 16.

I didn't mind listening to any of the tunes played tonight (in the comfort of my own home) as they all mean't something to me somewhere down my Timeline :thumbsup:

Wrong message board :D

Can't really fault the radio show, :thumbsup:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Enjoyed that but not the music, only criticism is why play that stuff they played when they could of played tunes current to todays scene as the audience are mainly a blank canvas when it comes to Rare Soul music, or am i missing the point about what that documenty was about :huh:

Social source share

Enjoyed that but not the music, only criticism is why play that stuff they played when they could of played tunes current to todays scene as the audience are mainly a blank canvas when it comes to Rare Soul music, or am i missing the point about what that documenty was about :huh:

Well said, Bearsy.............you have!!

Social source share

I enjoyed the programm and PW together with all the other participants did quite well in presenting it. Alltough many tracks may not be my current number ones I danced to most of them and they have their place in northern soul history. What I do miss when people generally make a programm about northern soul in Britain is the fact that it is now a world wide scene .... not just in Europe....even in....... Manila ;)

Edited by viphitman
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Paul, why fast forward a 'blank canvas' past sounds like 'Hit and run' and 'Breakout'? Yea been played to death for us, but why deprive the unknowing of such great sounds that are the backdrop to what the programme was all about?

Social source share

I enjoyed the programm and PW together with all the other participants did quite well in presenting it. Alltough many tracks may not be my current number ones I danced to most of them and they have their place in northern soul history. What I do miss when people generally make a programm about northern soul in Britain is the fact that it is now a world wide scene .... not just in Europe....even in....... Manila ;)

Brilliant!!........................average age of these guys?? At least half of most on the UK scene today!!! The scene WILL live, with or without chinstrokers!!

Social source share

Paul, why fast forward a 'blank canvas' past sounds like 'Hit and run' and 'Breakout'? Yea been played to death for us, but why deprive the unknowing of such great sounds that are the backdrop to what the programme was all about?

but this is today Pete i dont live in 1973 and if this is about targeting new listeners etc then it could of been a good mix up of old and current so i could say why deprive the people of the exciting tunes currently pushing the scene on today, why does everything have to be about 40 years ago their are plenty of peeps in the scene that didnt do WC for an example, i just get confused i guess cos i got into the scene 6/7 years ago through the same old same old and i can garauntee that if that there was only them tired old tunes to listen too i wouldnt stiil be in it today,

so im guessing i really didnt get what the documentry was about, feeling a bit embarrassed now :facepalm:

Social source share

Guest allnightandy

As a bit of an old sod who dropped out in the bad old days

i haven't really moved on , I'm still in that timewarp of about 76

when we first stopped going to the Saturdays because of all the shite that was being played

and only did the Oldies allnighters on the Fridays

So i'd give the programme a solid 9/10

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!