Pete Waterman Northern Soul

Smudger

I think I used to have it many years ago on Metrolina Soul. I'm Leaving You In Jody's Hand right?

As for how many copies, phew...now that's a toughie......you got me there

Next........

Nice to see technology hasnt passed you by Kev ,google sure is a wonderful tool eh :wicked:

Seriously though ,my original post was not meant as a dig at you or Pete Smith ,merely trying to point out that Pete Waterman spoke about his love of " Northern soul" ,but imho ,it was an affectionate reference to something that was or is part of his past ...a long time ago ,and i very much doubt he follows the scene today .

Nothing wrong with that ,just as there's nothing wrong with the film being representative of the scene in the 70's .

Its entirely upto the people involved to make a film about something that happened in the past and in respect to the original post on here ,i don't think he asked for anyone opinion of the credibility of Pete Waterman and his experience of Northern soul ???

There is no argument ... the film is about the scene as it was back in the 70's

The news people obviously decided it would be better to have someone famous on the show to tell us about it .

Pete was there in the 70's ,so could tell us what it was like and how the music gripped him etc etc ...

Its not really debatable is it :g:

Lastly my reference to you and Pete and the inside of a rare soul dj's playbox is not meant as a dig at your knowledge of soul music.

The fact is you don't follow the rare soul scene ,so most probably don't really hear whats being played in the upfront venues of today .

Not a crime in my book ,each to their own and live and let live :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Glynn Jones

I can remember well a bunch of miners at the front of the stage dancing around their lamps :lol::P

Never took my lamp, Steve, :wicked: but there were at least four of us from my village. :ohmy:

Social source share

Personally I don't want to see another film about Wigan and the Scene as it was....................don't get me wrong I bloody loved it.............but

it's different now!!!

To the young ones and newcomers to the Scene it must seem to them that we all go around wearing circle skirts, 40" bags and Keep The Faith badges................ all I would say to them is travel and find out..................it's diverse and it's great!!!

Edited by Carol J
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

Wonder how different this thread would be if someone like Ian Levine or Russ Winstanley had made the comment that Richard Searling had made about the music being almost secondary?

Thought Pete Waterman did a reasonable job overall but got a bit fed up of people just using the show to plug their film, event, record etc rather than concentrating on what really matters - the music.

Social source share

do you speak English, or at least type in English? It would make it easier for other members if at least attempted proper English.

and whilst here can you please post an intro just to let other members know who you are, thanks :thumbsup:

Members Shouts and Intros

What's hard about that chalks , your from Yoksher yersen :)

Should be lucky he's not a Geordie .lol

Social source share

Wot da fuk iz propa inglisz? a lkye tiepin da wey a speek. norvun sowl ix ear t stey!

proper English, its the way all members type bar you. Now if you don't mind try and type so that others don't have to spend 20 minutes cracking the code. We have plenty of soul brothers and sisters from other shores who haven't a clue what you are talking about....probably plenty from these shores as well.

Social source share

Personally I don't want to see another film about Wigan and the Scene as it was....................don't get me wrong I bloody loved it.............but

it's different now!!!

To the young ones and newcomers to the Scene it must seem to them that we all go around wearing circle skirts, 40" bags and Keep The Faith badges................ all I would say to them is travel and find out..................it's diverse and it's great!!!

But Carol, it's not a film about the scene today, and no one as far as I am aware is forcing you to go and see it (thought I bet when it comes out you probably will). Goodness, no one apart from us on here would go and see a film about today's scene.

It's a film about the 70's and people as they were then (young!). So no old baldies in baggie vests, except maybe the actor playing someone's grandad.

Don't seem to recall this fuss about any other films that look back at a past time. Brighton Rock, The Help, Tinker Tailor all out this year have all looked back to a past time, and all been highly entertaining films.

Edited by Steve G
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

it wernt a bad programme at all but i wish someone would have informed people that after wigan shut the scene didnt just die for 20 years, no venues no new musical discoveries. i wish they`d do a programme or make a film about the `wilderness ` years if you can call them that..mid 80`s to the late 90`s with the venues the unsung heroes the dj`s and of course the tunes..they were the best of times for me

dave

• Helpful 2
Social source share

it wernt a bad programme at all but i wish someone would have informed people that after wigan shut the scene didnt just die for 20 years, no venues no new musical discoveries. i wish they`d do a programme or make a film about the `wilderness ` years if you can call them that..mid 80`s to the late 90`s with the venues the unsung heroes the dj`s and of course the tunes..they were the best of times for me

dave

Dave that period early/mid 80's through the 90's was the most productive period for me and many others certainly from a DJ perspective but I never considered it the wilderness years it was simply how the scene was and bloody good it was too, even the great and the good of the scene deep down know when the best periods of the scene were musically.

Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Dave that period early/mid 80's through the 90's was the most productive period for me and many others certainly from a DJ perspective but I never considered it the wilderness years it was simply how the scene was and bloody good it was too, even the great and the good of the scene deep down know when the best periods of the scene were musically.

Mark Bicknell.

100% agree mark thats why i put the `wilderness` in apostrophe..my veiled yet poor attempt at humour as they were not wilderness years at all. we were there mark and as the old wigan saying goes `you had to be there`

Social source share

dave

Good point mate...

Mid 80s to mid 90s was a great time indeed... A great time to grow up on the scene and start to hear what i thought was real real soul music and not the poor diet of some of the northern i had been breast fed on....

mid 80s early 90s, a great time for the best underground scene in the world.. The best time for me...

Thats for another topic i guess....

The films looking good but i know it will bring out more topics about Wigan, maybe i need a filter on my pc that will remove any reference to that word Wigan, its been cooked to f£cking death..

Edited by little-stevie
Social source share

I've just listened to it on Radio 2 website and enjoyed it.

I thought Ady,Kev and Richard were honest in their views including Richards on todays scene for the majority of punters.

It was refreshing to hear from a younger element who go to the 100 club.

I thought Elaine and Tony (the film makers) came across with insight and a genuine love for the scene.

I can't say the same about the Modest Ians contribution regarding the wheel(95% bo**ocks anyway)

Pete Waterman did a good job in the main apart from the coal miners, false teeth, teddy boys and i'm amazed he didn't throw in Whipets and clogs.

I think this day and age any publicity is good for a scene it may attract a sprinkling of new punters.

Social source share

dave

Dave :thumbsup: , here here marra brill period

Edited by Naughty Boy
Social source share

You always know what to expect with these shows...oldie woldie, wigan, twisted wheel stories etc etc. I agree with a post that Bearsy made about why play stuff like Hit and Run and Out on The Floor when you could be expsoing people to tunes like The Master Keys the Grey Imprint, Rudy Love etc. If these shows are going to be produced and aired there needs to be more effort and relevance. Why interview people who are in thier 60's talking about the days when Major Lance played...boring! Why not speak to the people who are more in touch with club nights which attract younger crowds and are playing more upfront soul sounds...there's enough nights; Different Strokes, Empty Bottles, Driving Beat, Soul-ed Out + lots more. So much stuff to talk about regarding todays scene, the music, the clothes, the people the dancing, the charactors, the dealers (record dealers :wicked: ) etc. The music I hear at venues is getting better and better, I think there will be an increase in people coming to see what it's all about, lets just hope they come to one of the more exciting nights where it's edgey and cool so hopefully they'll enjoy it and want to taste some more!

I am looking forward to this film that Elaine is producing the trailer looks good, I just hope it has a bit more substance than Soul Boy!

Have a great Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Callum

I think that's why a part 2, focusing on what's happening now would have been appropriate, giving the impression it's current (which it is) is equally as important as the nostalgia :thumbsup:

• Helpful 3
Social source share

You always know what to expect with these shows...oldie woldie, wigan, twisted wheel stories etc etc. I agree with a post that Bearsy made about why play stuff like Hit and Run and Out on The Floor when you could be expsoing people to tunes like The Master Keys the Grey Imprint, Rudy Love etc. If these shows are going to be produced and aired there needs to be more effort and relevance. Why interview people who are in thier 60's talking about the days when Major Lance played...boring! Why not speak to the people who are more in touch with club nights which attract younger crowds and are playing more upfront soul sounds...there's enough nights; Different Strokes, Empty Bottles, Driving Beat, Soul-ed Out + lots more. So much stuff to talk about regarding todays scene, the music, the clothes, the people the dancing, the charactors, the dealers (record dealers :wicked: ) etc. The music I hear at venues is getting better and better, I think there will be an increase in people coming to see what it's all about, lets just hope they come to one of the more exciting nights where it's edgey and cool so hopefully they'll enjoy it and want to taste some more!

ICallum

I must admit I am a bit fed up with hearing these old codgers going on about the scene back in the day. We smashed up a drug shop, bla bla, we stayed up all night bla bla, Major Lance at the Torch bla bla. My mate's Cortina broke down and we thumbed it up the M6 bla bla. We were cold, we were poor but we were happy bla bla.

I think as well as your points these radio perspectives could also cover how NS has gone global - european nights and weekenders, USA, Far East, Russia, OZ, NZ etc. etc. So yeah fair points Callum -get us in the studio!

Edited by Steve G
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

I must admit I am a bit fed up with hearing these old codgers going on about the scene back in the day. We smashed up a drug shop, bla bla, we stayed up all night bla bla, Major Lance at the Torch bla bla. My mate's Cortina broke down and we thumbed it up the M6 bla bla. We were cold, we were poor but we were happy bla bla.

I think as well as your points these radio perspectives could also cover how NS has gone global - european nights and weekenders, USA, Far East, Russia, OZ, NZ etc. etc. So yeah fair points Callum -get us in the studio!

Ok we were poor had no money, 27 of us lived in a two up two down, I used to have to wait for me Dad to come in from pit before I could go to Wigan as we shared a pair of boots, used to set off Wednesday teatime and walk to Wigan to get there in time for Saturday Nighter, it were grand then everything was although very grey and dark somehow E by gum the best days of me life, 96 Black Bombers danced all night and walked home a lot bloody quicker than the journey there and you try telling young people today and they won't believe you lol

Edited by Mark Bicknell
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

If the original scene ever had a message or a creed it was that young peoples' lives didn't have to be directed by a central government committee or a cartel of record company heads and television executives in London. You could hold your own allnight dances. Find your own anthems and take all the strange substances that The Men didn't want you to try. You could

dress in the way you wanted to rather than in the way 'tastemakers' in some brainstorming session hundreds of miles away decided. You could travel the country and meet up with people who felt the same way. Above all you didn't have to settle for things generations of people had been expected to settle for. You could escape. For eight hours on a Saturday

night. Or for a whole lifetime.

With more millionaires in the Cabinet than at any time since the 1930s, Little Mix at the top of the charts and tax-dodging Phillip Green dominating the High Street (in between the riots and strikes) I think those values should be as relevant as ever.

Hear hear hear well said that man!!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Ok we were poor had no money, 27 of us lived in a two up two down, I used to have to wait for me Dad to come in from pit before I could go to Wigan as we shared a pair of boots, used to set off Wednesday teatime and walk to Wigan to get there in time for Saturday Nighter, it were grand then everything was although very grey and dark somehow E by gum the best days of me life, 96 Black Bombers danced all night and walked home a lot bloody quicker than the journey there and you try telling young people today and they won't believe you lol

I Don't believe you Mark...

Social source share

It's called history without the wheel torch wigan ect would you have a scene now ?

I'd love to see a program/documentary that covers the whole scene from the 6ts 7ts 80ts 90ts and onwards to today done by people who were there and those who are at it now

But I ain't a film producer

Social source share

It's called history without the wheel torch wigan ect would you have a scene now ?

It's a really interesting question how the soul scene in the uk would have evolved without those clubs and worthy of a thread on it's own. No idea, probably be just armchair collectors puffing on pipes and reading Soul Bowl lists. History certainly has it's part to play, maybe I'm just a bit tired of hearing the same old stories from the same old 'talking heads' over and over again.

Social source share

A film about today's seen would be boring, there's none of the capers that used to happen.......no mad coach trips, no fighting local loons, no pinching cars and thats before you got in a venue. Life's much to sedate these days.

I'd like to see a documentary done about today though with those who represents todays scene, not the retro scene, but todays proper nighter scene. Tired of seeing the same old relics reeled out to give their opinion on something they are no longer really involved with.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

My point exactly Steve................. :huh:

Carol ..i think what Steve is saying is " the original post " is asking a question about the film being discussed by Pete Waterman on the radio :yes:

Its not a discussion about todays scene or anything else :no:

Merry Xmas by the way :wave:

Edited by NEV
Social source share

I'd like to see a documentary done about today though with those who represents todays scene, not the retro scene, but todays proper nighter scene. Tired of seeing the same old relics reeled out to give their opinion on something they are no longer really involved with.

Would be great................plenty of characters on the nighter scene.......... :yes:

Social source share

A film about today's seen would be boring, there's none of the capers that used to happen.......no mad coach trips, no fighting local loons, no pinching cars and thats before you got in a venue. Life's much to sedate these days.

I agree totally CHALKY...

As somebody who has a background in documentary films and working in dramatic feature film development, I have often thought about this subject and have always reached the same conclusion on both fronts...I believe I had a conversation with IAN DEWHIRST about such factors a couple of years ago...

What is it that is really interesting about the story of 'Northern Soul'? When I say that I mean, outside all of us looking at a retro set movie or doc and picking it to pieces as to it's levels of correct style, feel, approach, songs used etc...I mean what would be really interesting universally, to people outside of the scene?...

I believe it is the scene's longevity that makes it a truly fascinating human story...The way in which a teenage dance movement transcended it's original parameters to become the soundtrack and lifestyle for a generation of people right through adulthood, family life etc...What is the essence that has driven people to embrace this lifestyle for up to 40 years - not 5 or six years back in the 70s - how has it/does it affect such lives, relationships etc...

It is that 'forever Young' aspect which people in general could relate to and you can only capture that essence of storytelling if you are telling the story in contemporary terms...

For example, a documentary or a drama that included the fact that in 2012, we have a 70 year old DJ in the middle of Barcelona passionately playing to a packed Alll Niter dancefloor of young Spanish people mainly in their early 30s...And that this man is playing a mixture of music from the 60s right through to the present decade...What drives a man like that, what are the ingredients that ignite to create such an unlikely scenario...A scenario which when you seriously think about it, is much more unlikely to have occurred than the original scene...(And as most people realise, that is just one single snapshot of the tapestry of the contemporary Soul scene)...Whether it was being subjected to documentary or dramatic treatment, it is the contemporary questions raised by the profile and progression of the Northern/Rare Soul scene that are really likely to attract a broader scale of interest being that this is a tale of today, of contemporary British culture and life...For god's sake, how many more times do we need the history of the supposed 'Golden age' of 'Northern Soul' to be told? Be it by movie, doc, play, books, DVD'S, short films, radio shows etc, etc...Like some of the records, it really has been done to death now....

I mean no disrespect whatsoever to ELAINE'S film which I am utterly convinced shall be a finer portrait than those which have preceded it....But I still think there is terrific scope for a contemporary treatment of the subject...And although the wild capers of the 70s are long behind us, the more profound tale of people growing older and old inside a passion for music and dance culture, is possibly what represents the ultimate importance of the UK Soul scene's story.... :hatsoff2:

Edited by rich chorley
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!