Monster Ballads Hiding On B-Sides Of Northern Classics

Weingarden

The o'jays also do a version of this.

Robby Lawson - I have searched (can't find this on youtube)

Also:

Have to say I much prefer Shy Guy on this one, but the 70's boot I have was probably made for Weekend to fill demand from Doo Wopp guys I imagine. It's a great side too for sure.

Social source share

Flipped over my Kenny Hamber - Anything you want, and Ain't Gonna Cry (over one girl) is great southern soul. Hard for anything to edge out Anything as it's a personal fave, but excellent soul for sure, similar to the Jean Stanback A side - I Still Love You.

This is great, can't believe I never flipped it over!

JoAnn Garrett Stay By My Side... is it the true A Side?

https://youtu.be/DQCjj1GNYHE

Social source share

Have to say I much prefer Shy Guy on this one, but the 70's boot I have was probably made for Weekend to fill demand from Doo Wopp guys I imagine. It's a great side too for sure.

yeah, the ballad side is doowoppy and I think what you're saying about it being a doowop repro is true

Social source share

yes, better than the northern side imo.

did anyone mention the seventh avenue aviators yet? killer

the tempo on KW is actually pretty similar to the side that has had northern soul attention so i'm a bit suprised the flip hasn't as well TBH.

First mention for 7th Ave Aviators as well don't temember seeing that yet.

Social source share

did anyone mention the seventh avenue aviators yet? killer
There are two versions of the Demo one with large text and red star on the right hand side and the other with smaller text with a star on the left hand side. Was it an east coast/west coast thing or was it demo'd twice at different times? Edited by John Reed
Social source share

Also, this destroys the (terrible IMO) northern side. awesome:

destroys Fire, or Coming Back Girl? I guess both are pretty bad. Their common records are so much better

Social source share

destroys Fire, or Coming Back Girl? I guess both are pretty bad. Their common records are so much better

I think coming back girl is a terrible record. I actually like she's fire a lot for some reason, it's super fast and catchy in a way that I can bob my head to. The changes in the song are more like Chicago soul changes than coming back girl. Also it sort of reminds me of the VIPs Flashback.

Social source share

I think coming back girl is a terrible record. I actually like she's fire a lot for some reason, it's super fast and catchy in a way that I can bob my head to. The changes in the song are more like Chicago soul changes than coming back girl. Also it sort of reminds me of the VIPs Flashback.

I found FIRE again on youtube and it's not without it's charm :)

Social source share

man, I'm listening to this record (she's fire) for the 5th time today. I really like it but probably will never own it (obviously)...

I'll be happy if I can at least get a Frankie Karl before I'm 35. FIRE is sounding great this evening, i dunno what was talking about the other day!

Social source share

The flip to the Tripps - Give it Back.....this is 10 times better

The tripps on victoria is actually frankie karl and the dreams first record. So that's frankie karl on lead. But it sounds like girls on the background. Something definitely funny happened with that record because there was also the LA record by "the trips" that were the exits. I wanted to find out what the story was but Frankie died like a year or two ago and I never got a chance to ask him. For example, it could have been one of those things where the Trips "love..." was supposed to be Frankie Karl's group but the Exits ended up singing on it. Who knows.

Edited by boba
Social source share

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Oh my God!...Oh my God!!...Oh my God!!!... Oh my God!...Oh my God!!...Oh my God!!!... Oh my God!...Oh my God!!...Oh my God!!!... Oh my God!...Oh my God!!...Oh my God!!!... Oh my God!...Oh my God!!...Oh my God!!!...I can't believe I've only just seen this FANTASTIC THREAD!!!

I've skipped through it and 'ticked like' so many times so forgive me if you get a notification that confuses you as it will be for a post from ages ago!!!

I hope I haven't skipped through too fast and missed that someone else may have put this one up - Other side to Mel Brit She'll Come Running Back - Absolute Midtempo Perfection.

All the best you 'Romantic lot!' :D

Len.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2J-NL97NAk

• Helpful 2
Social source share

One more before a 'Very Happy Chappy' goes to bed - The C.O.D's Pretty Baby - One of my absolute faves. (Other side to 'I'm A Good Guy') This is a record that my mum rang Mick Smith up for on the 9.00am 'dead line' (As I was at School) and to this day I'm still not over the 'shear devastation' she caused me over the fact that she asked for a record by 'The Cods' (Yes the blo*dy fish!) Apparently it took a while for Mick to work out 'what the devil she was going on about' - A 15 year old Lenny was not amused! J

Nite Nite x

All the best,

Len.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r35QYZ7ayD4

Edited by LEN
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

One more before a 'Very Happy Chappy' goes to bed - The C.O.D's Pretty Baby - One of my absolute faves. (Other side to 'I'm A Good Guy') This is a record that my mum rang Mick Smith up for on the 9.00am 'dead line' (As I was at School) and to this day I'm still not over the 'shear devastation' she caused me over the fact that she asked for a record by 'The Cods' (Yes the blo*dy fish!) Apparently it took a while for Mick to work out 'what the devil she was going on about' - A 15 year old Lenny was not amused! J

Nite Nite x

All the best,

Len.

I remember when I bought that one I was pretty disappointed about the "northern" side but the flip definitely made up for that.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

There are plenty of quality ballads/sweet soul tracks on the flip of 70s/Modern classics. Is it ok to post them here or are we sticking to 60s only?

Why not expand the mind ?

There's also a thread about Art Gentry at the moment, at the risk of repeating to those following it.

The A side to Art Gentry's Merry Go-Round:

I've always believed this to be "blue eyed", does anyone know different?

Social source share

It's funny, this thread is almost a bit 'dark' as in - 'coming out' and admitting you like ballads / Mid-tempo tunes is almost taboo to some folk on today's scene...Well - "We're here, get used to it" 'Girlfriend' J lol

Has this one been posted yet? (I didn't see it) - It's a record that some are very aware of but others I know are not, due to the fact that the main side is such a monster.

It's the other side to 'Gwen Owens - Just Say Your Wanted' The unfortunate thing for me is, I really want a copy for this side but it's such an expensive record, so I am waiting for a copy to be for sale where the 'Just Say Your Wanted' side is so kn*ckered it doesn't play, thus the record being virtually worthless! J (P.M me if anyone 'out there' just so happens to have one for sale as described!) lol

All the best,

Len.

Edited by LEN
Social source share

Has this one been posted yet? (I didn't see it) - It's a record that some are very aware of but others I know are not, due to the fact that the main side is such a monster.

It's the other side to 'Gwen Owens - Just Say Your Wanted'

All the best

Len.

Got a mention in post #13 Len - but no YouTube clip :D

Dare I say it you could always buy a 70s styrene bootleg - or even one of those new OUTTA SIGHT presses - there are loads of those about.

Cheers

Richard

Social source share

Doh! He he, oh well, I can't help getting enthusiastic about this thread! :rofl:

... I have two 70's bootlegs at home... :shhh: don't tell anyone though...One was a present from Gilly mind so worth a lot more :yes:

I'm gonna go back over this thread again, there's some great tracks, some of which I am aware of, some not - What fun! :thumbsup:

All the best,

Len.

Social source share

Guest woody no1

try flip of jeanette williams "all of a sudden " "mr soft touch"

or bill merriweather "thats love" "no stronger love"

Social source share

Yes, Mr Soft Touch is great, I played that at Coop's 'Nowt Fast, Nowt Furious' nite at Grantham which incidentally comes highly recommended. I'll seek out the Bill Merriweather...

...Later - I'm getting 'Nowt done' here at work - Doh! (Again) lol

Cheers,

Len.

Social source share

Why not expand the mind ?

There's also a thread about Art Gentry at the moment, at the risk of repeating to those following it.

The A side to Art Gentry's Merry Go-Round:

I've always believed this to be "blue eyed", does anyone know different?

By Chr*st - I have this record but didn't know! - That's what this thread's all about - Thankyou! :thumbup:

All the best,

Len.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!