Allnighters - Was: Worlds Number 1 Allnighter

Guest Bearsy

no-1 = 100 Club cos it has more history and keeps breaking new sounds with the worlds best djs constantly on the line up, next has to be Lifeline for its consistant high quality nights and still as fresh sounding as it comes,then Rugby simply cos its Rugby and there is something about Burnley that makes it stand out and again like all the other 3 ive mentioned you know your going to hear something special and get a good mix of something you know something you feel you should know and something you wont know :yes: no-5 the nags head karaoke night what a laugh and cheap beer and shots :thumbup:

Social source share

Light blue touch paper and stand well back thread !

Stoke is number 1 for regular attendances these days, no disputing that, but there are so many factors which count towards making an allnighter the number one, and having the most people through the door isn't the only thing that counts.

Longevity, 100 Club wins by a long way, Number of allnighters held, 100 Club wins by a long way because it's 10 a year to Stoke's 5,

Top DJ line up; well this one is subjective, but I can't think of a top name DJ that has appeared at Stoke, that hasn't appeared at the 100 Club (although I'm open to correction because I've only been attending the 100 Club twenty something years, and probably only half the Stoke niters)

Breaking new sounds: Again the 100 Club without any argument.

Getting the balance right bewtween Oldies, rare stuff, Seventies, Crossover, R & B, and new discoveries: Rugby for me, you get some of each at every niter

Friendliness: Rugby wins it by miles, it seems to be the niter where everyone knows everyone else and they are all mates. Rugby is also up there for the best second room, but Gloucester is close behind.

Radcliffe of course holds the crown for the most rooms, thus potentially the most choice of music, with five on the go throughout the night.

Grottiest venue, but great night: Bidds :D It's the only time I've missed a niter because I had a dodgy stomach, I couldn't bear the thought of spending the night in those toilets.

Of course it's all advertising hype, and the decision is personal, but I wouldn't like to split between Rugby and the 100 Club as the number 1 allnighters in the world. So if they are equal first, that means there is no number 2 :thumbup:

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Dave- The public vote with their feet and that's why Stoke has led the field in popularity for 16 years. No other All Nighter comes close in numbers.

Err, that's what I said Kev.............

"Stoke is number 1 for regular attendances these days, no disputing that"

Edited by Dave Rimmer
Social source share

I

With all the talk about the Worlds number 1, Allnighter, whats the number 2,then?

Atb,Kev. :thumbsup:

I'm sure Dave, Bearsy and I read the original question properly.. :hatsoff2:

Edited by MrC
Social source share

its obvious that the move to a more more dynamic, free enterprise music policy, is paying dividends with respect to the windsor suite at stoke and it hasnt gone unnoticed by people who, quite simply wouldnt attend stoke on the basis of it being a predominantly oldies orientated niter, the change of stance indicates a nod towards what the hard bitten, hard to please connoiseurs regard as progression and whilst the concept here is playing catch-up with whats been going on elsewhere for the last twenty years or so, nobody's complaining that it isnt welcome...infact as kev said, the punters ARE voting with their feet, not that they are foregoing all the other enterprising niters...on the contrary i believe they are acknowledging conformity.

it also DOSNT have to ring true that the niter itself IS strictly oldies of the well engrained type..with andy dyson & mick.h on in the wee hours the emphasis shifts to records that perhaps havent been given their due or they've gone right over our heads and got lost in the mists of time.

and of course...the younger generation that is growing, it seems, relentlessly at stoke are quite naturally appreciative of whatever they hear...its not a question of forgiving them...its a fact they want to hear the classics but they are also endearing theirselves to the abundant material that we class as being ordained for SECOND rooms and on this premise, stoke is making its stature felt once again, instead of just being a monolith drifting along with average attendances.( the fact is, its NEVER heard the word "average" )

ive complete respect for everything else thats going on, in this day and age its about competition...ive had the experience of the 100 club.....i understand burnley & rugby's popularity and wouldnt understate them for one minute, but stoke IS also a magnet, it draws a huge crowd and tonight WILL be a packer and the range & diversity of people who attend is every bit as welcoming & fascinating as anywhere else in the u.k. on any given day.

"you could play deputy dog and they'd dance" sounds like a cruel jibe but that would be to take it out of context,...the soulies here, quite simply enjoy the music and their demand for more borders on averice!!,....one thing is for sure....IF ALL ELEVEN DJS IN THE MAIN ROOM DECIDED...LETS ALL PLAY ENTIRELY DIFFERENT SETS,.....it wouldnt make a blind bit of difference to the congregation....every tune would be treated with equal enthusiasm.

to the unconvinced, its understanably hard to swallow that the kings hall all-niter should embrace the tag " the world's biggest" but its undeniably true,...and not for one minute, am i going to stand here and think somebody isnt going to rant and rave at me, like who the hell are you and what do you know?...sure im expressing my opinion, safe in the knowledge that 1500 people will back me up....yes there are ONLY five a year......BUT WHAT A SPECTACULAR FIVE!! :thumbsup::hatsoff2:

Edited by AGENTSMITH
Social source share

I want to take my wife to (a non soulie until 3 years ago) Stoke, just so she can get some idea of the atmosphere and surroundings that Wigan had, and why it meant so much to me, apart from the fact she does seem to like 'oldies' and she'd know most of the things she heard!

But that still doesn't change the fact that it was acknowledged as the No1 all nighter, and the question was what's number 2

:)

Social source share

Err, that's what I said Kev.............

"Stoke is number 1 for regular attendances these days, no disputing that"

dave, yer a top man and sincere appologies for last week, was not feeling well so went early, in the meantime GET YOURSELF on in the windsor suite mate and get me on the dancefloor!!

Social source share

We prefer to refer to it as character Dave, and as you're some-one who frequents the 100 Club on a regular basis I'm surprised you're so adverse to somewhat 'rustic washrooms' :wink:

Most diverse and forward thinking music policy must surely put Bidds @ Number 1, no question.........though the state of the toilets may well push it out as a number two (that was a turd joke in case you missed it :lol: )

What is probably more worth considering, is that though Bidds and Kings Hall are at the opposite ends of the soul spectrum musically speaking (as well as the obvious attendance figures :D )......they are both held in Stoke........ which proves we have it all.......on our doorstep.

Nuff said......... :P

Well said Big Girl,

Looking forward for your do and anniversary :thumbsup:

Kev.

Social source share

Well said Big Girl,

Looking forward for your do and anniversary :thumbsup:

Kev.

Be good to see you too pal....didn't see you at Lifeline?

Can I also ask that you Derby lads leave your girlfriends at home this time....those sheep droppings on the carpet could give the venue a bad name :D

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Can I also ask that you Derby lads leave your girlfriends at home this time....those sheep droppings on the carpet could give the venue a bad name :D

You mean that's a carpet ?

PS, you are in my diary as somewhere to be that night so can I book a sales table now please.

Edited by Dave Rimmer
Social source share

Ey you dont get on about our Baaaarbra :lamsey: ,and you married a Derbyshire girl.

Atb,Kev. :ohmy:

Edited by good angel
Social source share

We prefer to refer to it as character Dave, and as you're some-one who frequents the 100 Club on a regular basis I'm surprised you're so adverse to somewhat 'rustic washrooms' :wink:

Most diverse and forward thinking music policy must surely put Bidds @ Number 1, no question.........though the state of the toilets may well push it out as a number two (that was a turd joke in case you missed it :lol: )

Exactly Mace, Kings hall isn't even No.1 in Stoke !

Edited by SHSDave
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest smudgesmith

Just read a comment on Facebook post by an Allnighter stalwart ,that "Kings Hall" was full of piss heads last night.Can anyone else confirm this?

Social source share

Its number one because of the numbers attending. Would it be number one if it was purely down to music policy ?....I havnt been for years, so musically I wouldnt want to comment, but it would need to be going some to beat the 100 Club & Lifeline.

Pleased it was a good night at Stoke.

Best Russ

Social source share

Guest Marky Tee

Just read a comment on Facebook post by an Allnighter stalwart ,that "Kings Hall" was full of piss heads last night.Can anyone else confirm this?

Not the Kings Hall I was in last night, packed with dancers, not p..sheads. Excellent from start to finish, well 5.30 when I left.
Social source share

Not where we were and rest assured I would have spotted them because that is one of the myriad of reasons I`ve stopped (in the main) from going to regular soul nights. There were a few younger people enjoying the night and having a drink but far from the p***heads that seem to frequent many of the local do`s around my neck of the woods.

Sharon

Social source share

Its number one because of the numbers attending. Would it be number one if it was purely down to music policy ?....I havnt been for years, so musically I wouldnt want to comment, but it would need to be going some to beat the 100 Club & Lifeline.

Pleased it was a good night at Stoke.

Best Russ

Well Andy Dyson, Maria Willingham, Tats Taylor ,, Soul Sam were Truly AWESOME in the Windsor Suite from 1am onwards,,and was exactly like the music policy at Lifeline,,, and i was there the week before too!!

,,,, all the venues above Rugby ,Burnly, Lifeline, Radcliffe , Bidds , 100 club All Fantastic Venues who pull their own type of support,,, no matter how many times the warriors on here try to rubbish it ,, the Kings hall will carry on!

I personally find it amusing some the comments " its only No1 because of the number of people who attend" well why dont all the venues above pull crowds like that then if Kings Hall is so bad!

The answer is theres NOT enough interest anymore in the REAL Rare Soul Nights,,, sure theres a 2 or three hundred Rare Soulies who DO attend the nights but never in any great quantity,,, it always seems to me the REAL interest is now in Europe for Rare Soul niters !!

So to me the Kings Hall is a one off theres nothing like it,,, perhaps calling it Worlds No 1 is what gets up the purists noses,,, but its has never tried to be like the above mentiond venues, really has it!!

In years to come Stoke Kings Hall will be remembered and written about ,,, i wonder if any of the others will be ?????

Edited by Nige Brown
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest matt tees

I had a another great night at Stoke last night and after doing my spot in the Main Room, I sat myself down in the Windsor Suite and listened to some fantastic spots from The Willinghams, Soul Sam, Joh Heaney, Andy Dyson, Julie H gave a very self assured performance from a relatively new DJ but man of the match by a mile was Andy Tats Taylor whose set was pieced together with pure precision, skill and perfect timing and was simply one of the best sets I have had the privilege to hear for quite some time, Well Done Tats a real craftsman!!! Big Room was rocking all night and the atmosphere was buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzing

Social source share

I am beginng to think so :-(

If we are all honest Dave its true!

The "played ou"t oldies soul nights and nighters get really well supported in the UK

And its a real travesty the Genuine Rare Soul Forward thinking Venues DO NOT!!

Because we are all in roughly the same age backet 40-60s the way its carrying on this scene will be on its arse in the next 15 years or so,,,,, theres still not enough youngsters in volume that are interested

Thats why i think it works better in Mainland Europe,,, i main be wrong, bit i dont think they have live an oldies scene like we do,,, Its just there own DJs and Butch, Mick H ,Dave Thorley ,Ady Pountain, Soul Sam, Arthur Fenn etc etc ,,, feeding them what ISNT generally accepted over in the UK in volume!!

Yous ask any of them theyed rather DJ in Europe that in the UK nowdays!!

Social source share

Well Andy Dyson, Maria Willingham, Tats Taylor ,, Soul Sam were Truly AWESOME in the Windsor Suite from 1am onwards,,and was exactly like the music policy at Lifeline,,, and i was there the week before too!!

,,,, all the venues above Rugby ,Burnly, Lifeline, Radcliffe , Bidds , 100 club All Fantastic Venues who pull their own type of support,,, no matter how many times the warriors on here try to rubbish it ,, the Kings hall will carry on!

I personally find it amusing some the comments " its only No1 because of the number of people who attend" well why dont all the venues above pull crowds like that then if Kings Hall is so bad!

The answer is theres NOT enough interest anymore in the REAL Rare Soul Nights,,, sure theres a 2 or three hundred Rare Soulies who DO attend the nights but never in any great quantity,,, it always seems to me the REAL interest is now in Europe for Rare Soul niters !!

So to me the Kings Hall is a one off theres nothing like it,,, perhaps calling it Worlds No 1 is what gets up the purists noses,,, but its has never tried to be like the above mentiond venues, really has it!!

In years to come Stoke Kings Hall will be remembered and written about ,,, i wonder if any of the others will be ?????

"In years to come Stoke Kings Hall will be remembered and written about ,,, i wonder if any of the others will be ?????"

"Rugby ,Burnley, Lifeline, Radcliffe , Bidds , 100 club"

:ohmy: The 100 Club has been around for near on 30 years and is already wrote about and remembered. I'm sure the other clubs you've mentioned will be remembered in their own way as well.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I'm very pleased you had a good night Nige. I would have probably enjoyed it too, especially the Windsor Suite. Unfortunatley not in the country right now.

Agree generally with what you say, however strongly disagree that any of the venues you mention wont be remembered, the 100 Club is, was & will continue to be LEGENDARY, nothing can ever come near to the place in terms of discoveries & its influence on the scene. I would also question why you infer I would rubbish the Worlds number one Nighter & say its 'bad', I'm just very pleased it was another good night & people enjoyed themselves which ever room they were in :thumbsup:.

At least it wasnt a Mini Nighter ay :lol: .

Keep at it...

Russ

Edited by Russ Vickers
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

I'm very pleased you had a good night Nige. I would have probably enjoyed it too, especially the Windsor Suite. Unfortunatley not in the country right now.

Agree generally with what you say, however strongly disagree that any of the venues you mention wont be remembered, the 100 Club is, was & will continue to be LEGENDARY, nothing can ever come near to the place in terms of discoveries & its influence on the scene. I would also question why you infer I would rubbish the place & that the place is 'bad', I'm just very pleased it was another good night & people enjoyed themselves.

At least it wasnt a Mini Nighter ay :lol: .

Keep at it...

Russ

Yes i retrospect that reads a little harshly,,, there was do disrespect intended to ANY of those fine clubs,,,

And Russ im not sure what you mean when you say i implied that YOU rubbish the place,,,

Ive read me post again and ive never mentioned you! :g: ??????

Social source share

Yes i retrospect that reads a little harshly,,, there was do disrespect intended to ANY of those fine clubs,,,

And Russ im not sure what you mean when you say i implied that YOU rubbish the place,,,

Ive read me post again and ive never mentioned you! :g: ??????

Yes, sorry, just realised you didnt 'quote' my initial post in its entirety.

BTW Get ya self to Deep South Easter Weekend, We'll stick you on the list & I'll buy you a pint, would be lovely to see you & have a proper debate outside of cyber space :lol: .

Best Russ

Edited by Russ Vickers
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

I personally don't give a flying fcuk if anybody remembers or cares what we did down at Bidds in 20 years time Nige.........but do you really think such a petty comment does your credibility any favours........ :no:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Russ- Didn't see you at the Worlds No.1 All Nighter, you need to get up North and see where the action really is.

The oldies.... Unrivalled. New stuff... Andy Dyson, Mick H, Carl/Maria Willingham, Soul Sam etc etc.

Anything we can do to entice you or increase numbers, let us know.

Edited by The Golden 101
Social source share

Russ- Didn't see you at the Worlds No.1 All Nighter, you really need to get up North and see where the action really is.

The oldies.... Unrivalled. New stuff... Andy Dyson, Mick H, Carl/Maria Willingham, Soul Sam etc etc.

Anything we can do to entice you or increase numbers, let us know.

Would have been a long journey from Baghdad Kev. I fully intend to attend the Worlds Number One Allnighter again when my time at home coincides & I'm looking forward to it, havnt been for a few years, so will be interesting to see how it has changed, you have obviously made improvements with the addition of the Windsor Suite & added extra credibility with the DJ rosta.

As you are fully aware I attend venues all over the UK on a reasonably regular basis & have done for well over 30 years without a break. Theres nothing you can do to entice me Kev, but its very kind of you to ask, I tend to make my own mind up about were I choose to enjoy my soul music & pay little attention to the hype. Very nice of you to select me for such a personal service though, thank you, I'll let you know if I think of anything.

Genuinely pleased it was such a successful night for you.

Hope to see you soon....

Russ

Edited by Russ Vickers
Social source share

I personally don't give a flying fcuk if anybody remembers or cares what we did down at Bidds in 20 years time Nige.........but do you really think such a petty comment does your credibility any favours........ :no:

I guess not Mace and i did re- post above,,,saying it did read a liltle harshly and i wasnt dissing anyone club AT ALL,,,

I really wish the Rare Underplaued Venues would be better supported!!

I only meant because of the sheer size of the event and the pulblicty macine that surounds the event ,, even the venue itself im sure it will be remembered in time which personall i do give a fcuk about and i know you may laugh /sneer at this im proud to be a part of it ,,,, each to there own by i love reading about the now "history" of the Rare Soul Scene ,

Social source share

Would have been a long journey from Baghdad Kev. I fully intend to attend the Worlds Number One Allnighter again when my time at home coincides & I'm looking forward to it, havnt been for a few years, so will be interesting to see how it has changed, you have obviously made improvements with the addition of the Windsor Suite & added extra credibility with the DJ rosta.

Russ

Hope you can make it to the October one Russ, when I'm on in the Windsor Suite.

Your support when I did 100 Club was very much appreciated.

And nobody seems to enjoy those tunes on the dancefloor like you do!

Looks like my Just Soul partner Tats played a blinder last night (really sorry I missed it) and I wouldn't want to let the side down - so I'll even pay your bus fair (... but not from Baghdad LOL).

Joking apart, hope you're well old chum and do hope to see you soon.

Essence on the cards?

:thumbsup:

Sean

Social source share

Yes, sorry, just realised you didnt 'quote' my initial post in its entirety.

BTW Get ya self to Deep South Easter Weekend, We'll stick you on the list & I'll buy you a pint, would be lovely to see you & have a proper debate outside of cyber space :lol: .

Best Russ

Thanks Russ ,,, that woulf be great!!

If wa cant make that one id love to come down one of these times ,,, i always read the look backs on Stuff down your way and they sound great do.s

Thanks for the ivite !

And always better to talk about things seem so brittle on these internet threads ,, i be already lost my credility this afternoon :(

Social source share

I want to take my wife to (a non soulie until 3 years ago) Stoke, just so she can get some idea of the atmosphere and surroundings that Wigan had, and why it meant so much to me, apart from the fact she does seem to like 'oldies' and she'd know most of the things she heard!

I took my Mrs to one a few months ago for exactly the same reason. It's the closest thing to the early days of Wigan... since the early days of Wigan! :D

Am pleased to say that she bloody loved it!

If anyone wants to experience a packed and atmospheric nighter with a heavy dose of Northern Soul (old skool and otherwise) the Kings Hall really does take some beating.

:thumbsup:

Sean

Social source share

Nige

They certainly won't be writing about The Wilton in years to come as it never even gets a mention on threads like this...........strange that as it's 19th anniversary in a couple of week?

Take care.

Cheers

Martyn

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Nige

They certainly won't be writing about The Wilton in years to come as it never even gets a mention on threads like this...........strange that as it's 19th anniversary in a couple of week?

Take care.

Cheers

Martyn

:thumbup: :thumbup: Whey hey !! & Shhhhh :shhh: I personally want the best nighter in the world (to me) keeping a secret :wicked:

See you on the 23rd Martyn x

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Personally I don't think there is any need for a league table of what venue is number 1 or 2, they're all great venues and the promoters work damn hard in promoting them, some on very low budgets which makes the task all that much harder.

I don't know where the term underplayed and rare came from as most of the venues I've visited play oldies or at least they're oldies to me.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Just reading this thread with interest as I've never attended Kings Hall as an oldies nighter has never really been of interest to me.But of late I've got the urge to go & see a big hall with a large crowd in & everyone up for it,so it's on the "to do" list.I'm not really bothered about the best this or best that arguments as I'm a big lad & can decide for myself what's the best for "me".The thing I've found strange amongst the various posts is that those defending the night have spoken more about the Windsor Suite & how good that was rather then what I've always thought Kings Hall is famous for oldies?Why does it need another room?

Cheers

Martyn

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!