Soulsource Record Club Record Of The Day 2012 (Spring)

This morning's offering: THE archetypal "Sound Of Young America". When the sound of the Supremes is stripped away you realise the power of the band and the consummate ease with which they plied their craft. Mike Terry said this was his favourite piece of Motown music. It's easy to appreciate why. Drum like a metronome, bass only plays about six different notes but they hold the sound together like superglue. Melody by piano, precision like drum fills and all topped off with a vibe riff, and a sax break that takes you be surprise half way in! Proper stuff this! Magic at work by true magicians.

Regards,

Dave

https://youtu.be/8-2kPilg5uQ

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest east rob

Dave's Supremes post jogged my memory to this, an album track from a MFP lp.

A car boot find :thumbsup:

album also has alternate version of He's all i got. Have to dig it out!

Edited by east rob
Social source share

One that is eventually getting the plays it deserves,been around years but suffered from the "too cheap" tag but has at last made it to biggie status..........about time.

Lovemasters-Pushin' & Pullin' Jacklyn

York all-dayer tomorrow for me,if you are out this weekend have fun :thumbsup:

Cheers

Martyn

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Guest allnightandy

Andy

Did this get played at Wigan,been told it did but can't remember it from then???Saying that did well to remember my name back then :D

Cheers

Martyn

Pretty sure it did , poss only in Mr M's . I knew the sound when i got it in a soul pack , so i must have heard it somewhere !

Andy !

Social source share

Andy

Sounding a bit healthy this morning must have been a quiet night at Red Bar............as if :D

Great tune :thumbsup:

Cheers

Martyn

By no means Martyn fantastic night judging my head today great mix of tunes been played lot of folk there have a good time in York today !! Now where's them paracetamol
Social source share

Guest allnightandy

I remember these two from my Wigan days They were slagged off as Naff back then and was wondering if they still are today ?

Just realised the second one was by Cameo , same tune same label same year ? Strange !

Edited by allnightandy
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Mine for today is an R n B biggie (first played by that well known Man City fan Pete Coulson I think?) that managed to cross over into main rooms with equal success.Great dancer imo.

Joe Tex-I Wanna Be Free Dial

Cheers

Martyn

Edited by hullsoul
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

I know this is an oldie but it's still a goodie ! Remember going to Rob Thomas' house with his brother Martin when we were at school

(many years ago!!) and Rob & Martin shared a bedroom so we started playing a few tunes , then bugger me Rob came back and was going to knock 7 Bells of shite out of us 'cause we had spun a few tunes . lol !!!

anyway enjoy :thumbup:

Swifty :thumbsup:

Edited by SWIFTY
Social source share

There's a current thread about Art Gentry's "merry go-round", which incidentally has a great ballad flip, anyway

it reminded me of "this is my chance" which is about as good as a blue eyed soul record can get.

I believe that this is CD only, has it ever been put out on vinyl?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Spyder Turner's I Can't Make It Anymore is a classic but the B side never gets a mention which is a shame as I think it's a cracker,so have a listen & see what you think.

Spyder Turner-Don't Hold Back MGM

Cheers

Martyn

Edited by hullsoul
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

This got a lot of attention at Red bar Wakefield Easter weekend Bernard Dupree (Cletus Marland) think there the same maybe"you're gonna miss me"

Andy

Nice tune,reminds me of something else but can't think what just yet.............or is there another version?

Cheers

Martyn

Social source share

Don't you just love that when you capture a long time want like I just have..........thanks has to go to my wife who rummaged about in the back of her purse & gave me a few pennies to go buy it.

Tony Clarke-Wrong Man MS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AghA2vPPdzg

Cheers

Martyn

Great tune heard it nearly everywhere av been over the past 35 year n still fills floors nice un Martyn!!
Social source share

This got a lot of attention at Red bar Wakefield Easter weekend Bernard Dupree (Cletus Marland) think there the same maybe"you're gonna miss me"

Sold a few on ebay last week & got £5.60 for this ! :ohmy: ( I know how to make money , not !)

Love it but need some funds and still ain't fooking got any :lol:

Swifty :thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share