Al Gardner - Sweet Baby - Has A Box Turned Up?

adamt

I think the "less than minters" are actually the same record, it sold on ebay then was offered in sales on here. Certainly looked like the same record.

I hope loads have been found then I might get a copy within my record buying budget! :lol:

Social source share

If Anglo are listing it at £350 then I wouldn't be surprised if some minters start popping out of the woodwork

i'd agree with this most of the time but tim also lets a few goodies out at much cheaper than current market values.

his list is always worth a look IMO.

Social source share

Is this the same Al Gardner that we had under Pied Piper/Just Productions? Sweet Baby sounds awfully familiar! Can anyone upload a copy of the record?

Lorraine

Yes Lorraine,on the Sepia label it credits you as Ex Prod and Jack Ashford as Arr,writen by E Lewis and J Ashford..

Dave f....

Social source share

Yes Lorraine,on the Sepia label it credits you as Ex Prod and Jack Ashford as Arr,writen by E Lewis and J Ashford..

Dave f....

Thank you Dave f.,

I haven't heard this in a hundred years! I was hoping it was my Al Gardner. Poor baby, the very thing that made him so good was his curse! He sounded too much like Marvin Gaye. Any knowledge of his wherebouts? (BTW, E. Lewis is L. Chandler.)

Lorraine

Edited by lorchand
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Thank you Dave f.,

I haven't heard this in a hundred years! I was hoping it was my Al Gardner. Poor baby, the very thing that made him so good was his curse! He sounded too much like Marvin Gaye. Any knowledge of his wherebouts? (BTW, E. Lewis is L. Chandler.)

Lorraine

well 44 years lorraine lol although the backin track was done 2 years before

Social source share

Got a minty one of these for $29 the other week :yes::D

Still think "Sweet Baby" is a tune though, would love a copy on Sepia.

Forgive me for not addressing you personally, but sometimes you all forget to sign your names. Anyhoo, I will stand on my two boxes of Sepia, Sweet Baby on the grounds I will not incriminate myself! :shhh:

Lorraine

• Helpful 1
Social source share

the cavaliers `ooh it hurts me`.....unreleased at the time but i think the mastertape was found at rca`s new york offices some years ago

You are absolutely correct! Wow! Even the the melody (and lyrics) changed slightly, both sound good. I believe Bobby Croft helped to write Ooh, It Hurts Me, just off the top of my head. It sounds like him.

Lorraine

Social source share

...and how did the French get to hear of it and release it?

I would like to know also. Bootlegging is the illegal use of distribution of someone else's material. It's too bad the only person who gets paid is the seller. It's so difficult to track them down and sooo expensive. It's not worth money you put behind it.

Lorraine

Social source share

Lorraine' your knowledge and help is very much appreciated on here.

many thanks

steve

Steve,

It's good to be acknowledged and appreciated. I'm just giving back to what I'm receiving. After all, you can't take it with you and I want the record (no pun intended) to be straight. I thank you all more than you could ever know.

Lorraine

Edited by lorchand
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Lorraine, its great that via the UK NS scene you can be re-acquainted with some of your old work ... & that you realise how good it was & how loved the old tracks still are.

Your detailed knowledge of what went down over 40 years ago is astounding (so we KNOW you turned up to the office every day in 'full working order').

You are also a truly lovely lady as I can personally attest from meeting you on both of the occasions that you performed at Prestatyn.

MORE POWER TO YOU.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!