Majestics Or David And Ruben

Peter99

Just listening to some old 60's stuff which I happen to like - prompted by something or another.

So, probably been done to death, and may be a stupid question - which is ok, but what's the story behind the two versions of I Love Her So Much It Hurts?

First, second, rarity?

I think people have shot me down previously for saying that I like the Majestics - I like em both, but the Majestics just pinches it.

Any thoughts, comments or views?

Cheers

Peter

:thumbsup:

Social source share

This was done before I think. If I recall one of the US collectors on here advised that David & Ruben was issued by Warners which has acquired the Linda catalogue to cash in on the Motown/soul sound but, whilst the record was thought to have potential, theiconic intro was cut off because it sounded 'dated' and harked back to the doo-wop era. I can't recall why they changed the name - probably a similar reason, to disassociate the record from a bygone age and because male soul duos were fashionable by then, like Sam & Dave?

That's probably a complete load of old horse poo, dreamt up by me.

The Rampart issue must be the rarest format by the way?

Social source share

Aren't they the same track? With the David and Ruben being released a couple of years later without the 'Majestics' intro?

the david and ruben on rampart HAS the intro

Social source share

I stand corrected then, but aren't they the same track just under different artists names? Which would make the Majestics the original would it not?

hi pete...i posted this on you tube and got a reply from somebody claing to be a relation of david or ruben...they said both were in the band...im sure this topic has been done before and if i remember rightly the majestics was issued first

atb moldie

Social source share

hi pete...i posted this on you tube and got a reply from somebody claing to be a relation of david or ruben...they said both were in the band...im sure this topic has been done before and if i remember rightly the majestics was issued first

atb moldie

Moldie, I am only referring to a previous topic on here myself, and from memory it's the same recording, not just band members, it's a re-release with a change of label and artists name, then again knowing my memory I could be making all this up lol

Social source share

Moldie, I am only referring to a previous topic on here myself, and from memory it's the same recording, not just band members, it's a re-release with a change of label and artists name, then again knowing my memory I could be making all this up lol

hi pete

ive been trying to locate the previous thread myself lololol......my memory isnt great either lololololol

Social source share

are we saying here, that we like the majestics because the band name rolls off the tongue easier and because the label is far more attractive in both its yellow and pink formats?,...because as far as the recording itself is concerned, there is no differential between these and the rampart release, with the exception of the warners release, which of course, is shortened...they're all highly collectable anyway!! :g:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

are we saying here, that we like the majestics because the band name rolls off the tongue easier and because the label is far more attractive in both its yellow and pink formats?,...because as far as the recording itself is concerned, there is no differential between these and the rampart release, with the exception of the warners release, which of course, is shortened...they're all highly collectable anyway!! :g:

No.

Social source share

the Rampart issue is light blue

As Ted says...plus add thin-lined concentric white circles around the label as well.

Rampart is indeed a re-issue of the Linda release...with the Warners coming in third.

Loved it for so many years...never tire of it. :thumbsup:

Social source share

The LINDA release is from 1965.

The RAMPART and WARNER BROS releases are from 1969.

The 45 on Rampart was released in conjunction with the LP "Golden Treasures Volume Two: West Coast East Side Revue" which was issued on Rampart in 1969. It includes past hits from the LINDA / FARO / GORDO / RAMPART / WHITTIER group of labels.

Edited by Sebastian
Social source share

But they are all 2:25 long.....never heard the Warner version but if its minus the intro they must have added something else for it to be the same length of track. :g:
Social source share

Isn't the Rampart copy is a reissue?

Regards,

Dave

well, there you go dave, you live and learn!...i wouldn't have thought that but the soulsource school of wizards strikes again!! :lol: ....and wow!, to set eyes on an issue as well...suppose it had to exist based on the fact its a well known label and so is the record. whilst it may be a reissue, i think its rarer than the linda release, basically because you see more copies of the 65 release come up at auction, whereas the rampart release just dosnt. its plain the warner bros issue was edited.....how can someone possibly think that the intro was "dated"?, it sets you up for the dancefloor, you know just what is coming!.

Social source share

well, there you go dave, you live and learn!...i wouldn't have thought that but the soulsource school of wizards strikes again!! :lol: ....and wow!, to set eyes on an issue as well...suppose it had to exist based on the fact its a well known label and so is the record. whilst it may be a reissue, i think its rarer than the linda release, basically because you see more copies of the 65 release come up at auction, whereas the rampart release just dosnt. its plain the warner bros issue was edited.....how can someone possibly think that the intro was "dated"?, it sets you up for the dancefloor, you know just what is coming!.

Rob, the Rampart issue/demo being rarer doesn't make it any less of a re-issue, or does it? :wicked:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Rob, the Rampart issue/demo being rarer doesn't make it any less of a re-issue, or does it? :wicked:

like i said pete, never even knew it was a reissue, but til i got my copy, i didnt even realise it was on rampart, having only ever seen linda copies, therefore i presume its harder to find....you would have thought there would be MORE copies because its a well known label and being a reissue but it dosnt necessarily follow suit especially if it STILL sold zilch and whatever originally existed, got trashed.

Social source share

like i said pete, never even knew it was a reissue, but til i got my copy, i didnt even realise it was on rampart, having only ever seen linda copies, therefore i presume its harder to find....you would have thought there would be MORE copies because its a well known label and being a reissue but it dosnt necessarily follow suit especially if it STILL sold zilch and whatever originally existed, got trashed.

So now you know it's a re-issue Rob will you be throwing it away? You don't play re-issues surely? :ohmy:

Social source share

Guest turntableterra

if memory serves, the majestics and one of the david and rubin`s, the one on warner bros i believe)are one and the same, exactly. they are EXACTLY the same press down to the same delta number IN THE SAME POSITION. with the only difference being the warner label and listed as a duet in listings i have seen. the rampart appears to be another version however its a long time since i heard it to comment, but its crap imo. That said i would love to own the blue issue, 1000 seems a fair go

Social source share

• 2 years later...

if memory serves, the majestics and one of the david and rubin`s, the one on warner bros i believe)are one and the same, exactly. they are EXACTLY the same press down to the same delta number IN THE SAME POSITION. with the only difference being the warner label and listed as a duet in listings i have seen. the rampart appears to be another version however its a long time since i heard it to comment, but its crap imo. That said i would love to own the blue issue, 1000 seems a fair go

linda and rampart are exactly the same take..the warner bros 45 has the horn intro missed off but after that its the same

Social source share

Just to confirm that I had read something along the lines that the Linda/Rampart versions are different to the WB version, not to say this is a 'truth' or these facts are correct but to justify my purchase of the WB version not as a rerelease!.

JM selling a WB stock copy stated;

Published on 24 Jul 2014

RARE STOCK copy, so rarely seen for sale.
Eddie Davis reworks The Majestics - Linda recording to great effect, lush strings, hand-claps, finger-popping & some intricate violin plucking…not forgetting those soaring horns blaring down as if from on high.
Fabulous production and different enough to the one 4 years earlier that is considered a Northern Soul classic..

And on that well know blog,  wwwyoufoundtheeastsidesoundcom.BlogSpot  states

There were three Majestics groups!,  and also stating that Eddie Davis took the Majestics master to Warner Bros and used the Ralph Ventura Mariachi Group (group that backed Linda Ronstadt) and put in horns and violins.  WB released the record in 1969 WB7316 

Can anyone verify/confirm or is this incorrect info.  Dose not really matter just love the record.

Edited by Baldsoulie
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Just to confirm that I had read something along the lines that the Linda/Rampart versions are different to the WB version, not to say this is a 'truth' or these facts are correct but to justify my purchase of the WB version not as a rerelease!.

JM selling a WB stock copy stated;

Published on 24 Jul 2014

RARE STOCK copy, so rarely seen for sale.

Eddie Davis reworks The Majestics - Linda recording to great effect, lush strings, hand-claps, finger-popping & some intricate violin plucking…not forgetting those soaring horns blaring down as if from on high.

Fabulous production and different enough to the one 4 years earlier that is considered a Northern Soul classic..

And on that well know blog,  wwwyoufoundtheeastsidesoundcom.BlogSpot  states

There were three Majestics groups!,  and also stating that Eddie Davis took the Majestics master to Warner Bros and used the Ralph Ventura Mariachi Group (group that backed Linda Ronstadt) and put in horns and violins.  WB released the record in 1969 WB7316 

Can anyone verify/confirm or is this incorrect info.  Dose not really matter just love the record.

see post 44

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!