Going Big.....what Will Be Next?

hi all ,a record that should be massive is , chi chi , if youre gonna love me ,on kapp749 around 40 pound, had this for years but still no on plays it , wonderfull record ,also a bit more expensive, emanuel lasky ,lucky to be loved by you , on wild duece ,around 70 pound two of the best record you can find , please someone start to play them, all the best m r j.p.

Social source share

• Replies 246
  • Views 19.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest taylormadesoul

one record that ive noticed on a few play lists lately

and going up in price is ;

T.N.J.s - DONT FORGET ABOUT ME..........CHESS CH 2155

( b side to ) FALLING IN LOVE.....................................

crackin up-tempo 70s dancer IMO................ :yes:

i paid £10 from JM about 4 years ago , now JM lists at £70 ish

still knocking around on some lists for £20 - £30........

if anyone could put up a soundbite id be most grateful................

Social source share

JOE MURPHY - SO BLUE - VIVID

Just picked this up off here a month or so ago. Been playing out every chance I get! By any chance has this been booted on a white demo?? Seen one on ebay and thought it looked a little suspect.....

-Mike

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

The shape of things to come - Vivian Reed - Epic . :unsure:

Great record but it had it's day years ago didn't it? Mind you i'd like to hear it played out again :yes:

This looks like a really hard thread to post on. I've can think of a few reactivated oldies that should get another airing but no new discoveries. :yes:

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

Don't know if this will go but should be given a chance as it's very overlooked.

Derrick Harriot - I Won't Cry on Blue Beat. Nice Jamaican R&B, very very soulful, has a nice dance pace and there can't be that many of them around in good nick as the words Blue Beat and mint condition don't normally go together. Also it's a b side. Personally I think it's so much better than Feel So Bad by Jackie Edwards. Please don't be put off by the fact that it's on Blue Beat as it sounds nothing like Ska.

I did post this in the sound gallery on here but I don't think it's up and running again yet

love to learn, can you do a sound clip or play me it over the phone 01663 464526 john ps i'm a big fan of carribean soul

Social source share

I think- Youve got to crawl before you walk - The 8th Day on Invictus

Anyone know it? apart from Sepia cos he heard it saturday last

dave godin RAVED about this on it release in 1972?... fabulous tune

Social source share

Just picked this up off here a month or so ago. Been playing out every chance I get! By any chance has this been booted on a white demo?? Seen one on ebay and thought it looked a little suspect.....

-Mike

Would be keen to know as i bought it :unsure:

Plays absolutely fine though.

Social source share

Are we talking records which are on the surface quality common and cheap or underplayed oldies or what??????

Here's one i think are all of the above and then some....lol

The Heartbreakers - I've Got To Face It - Derby City 101 - Overlooked twenty years ago and dismissed as being a pretty common five pound collection filler.....how times and tastes have changed for the better i might add, this record is perfect for today's scene, recorded back in 1968 this has appeal to both Northern and crossover crowds, rated by the likes of Nick Hackett, Mick Howard and myself on here and i strongly believe this record will become very popular given a little turntable action in the right places, i recently paid £40.00 to secure my second copy as i had it stolen way back at Stafford, i reckon you are gonna pay anything from £40.00 to £60.00 for this gem buit watch it go up in value, fantasic down tempo flip which is well worth a mention and the odd play 'How Do You Say Goodbye' so double the trouble and double the quality......awesome.

I'll be back with a couple more later.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Are we talking records which are on the surface quality common and cheap or underplayed oldies or what??????

Here's one i think are all of the above and then some....lol

The Heartbreakers - I've Got To Face It - Derby City 101 - Overlooked twenty years ago and dismissed as being a pretty common five pound collection filler.....how times and tastes have changed for the better i might add, this record is perfect for today's scene, recorded back in 1968 this has appeal to both Northern and crossover crowds, rated by the likes of Nick Hackett, Mick Howard and myself on here and i strongly believe this record will become very popular given a little turntable action in the right places, i recently paid £40.00 to secure my second copy as i had it stolen way back at Stafford, i reckon you are gonna pay anything from £40.00 to £60.00 for this gem buit watch it go up in value, fantasic down tempo flip which is well worth a mention and the odd play 'How Do You Say Goodbye' so double the trouble and double the quality......awesome.

I'll be back with a couple more later.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Played this at Wellingborough on friday went down a absolute storm.......first time i've ever played it out too, was recomended by a friend when i first herd Man o Man, then really forgot about it untill was mentioned on these pages :unsure:

Social source share

Played this at Wellingborough on friday went down a absolute storm.......first time i've ever played it out too, was recomended by a friend when i first herd Man o Man, then really forgot about it untill was mentioned on these pages :unsure:

Yes, i got scared when i requested this in the 'want's' section thought i'd blown it until good old Barrie Waddington came to the rescue, i'm so sure of this record and your comments pretty much confirm this.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

-Mike

Would be keen to know as i bought it :unsure:

Plays absolutely fine though.

///////////////////////////

dont think it was booted - though must agree it certianly has a 'boot' look about it lol.

i played out the other side 'it's a weakness'.

the Dells are on backing btw.

Social source share

How about

The Emotions - Stealing Love - Volt

The Gambrells - I'm In love Again (For The First Time) - Cub

Ace Spectrum - Keep Holding On - Atlantic

I agree The 8th Day - Youve got to crawl before you walk and Barrino Brothers - Trapped In A Love

are great records. Managed to pick them both up last month along with another copy of Bobby Wilburn all for £4 each.

Sometimes I love this record collecting hobby!! :unsure:

Social source share

Guest Tommy

How about:

The Profiles - I still love you - Bamboo

The Turks - The bad brought the good - DJO

The Soul Notes - How long will it last - Way Out.

I personally think all three will go massive at some point. Anyone else agree?

Social source share

Guest denmac

chris you have gone off at a tangent but you have a point.. over the last three months i have been asked for these records more than twice:

al mathews-fool

dionne warwick-do you believe in love

tyrone barkley-man of value

frank and james-how long is forever

all i can say is that they must be current somewhere?

my view is that frank and james has been the best male duo for 20 years.every one on this site has got a tyrone barkley.dionne? well its a great tune and dancable i suppose but,,,,al mathews-fool-cbs....well?? i have got to admit i remember this as a chart tune and liking it. confession: i bought 2 al mathews at skegness weekender for 25 quid each just in case it went up.t. i. c.

Social source share

How about:

Been playing the Profiles for ages ... top tune.

Soulnotes also .... released twice with two different b sides .... buy the one with 'Don't Make Me Beg' as the b side .... by far the best side imo...

Social source share

Soulnotes also .... released twice with two different b sides .... buy the one with 'Don't Make Me Beg' as the b side .... by far the best side imo...

You beat me to it Joan, I agree with you on this one, a great soul record

Social source share

Jimmy Steward Jr. - Convince Me - Coral

This is in-demand at the moment....it's definitely making waves and several of my buddies are after it. It's so catchy R&B, been sticking it on CDs and always gets a good response. Were once £10 from Beatin' Rhythm but try finding one now!

I got a mint copy about 6 months ago from the States for a tenner then posted up on the Modculture website asking if anyone knew it as it sounds great, Neil Henderson from The Hideaway replied saying he was after a copy and a bit of a feeding frenzy started. Neil now has a copy and was saying it took him quite some time to get one. I'd also posted up about it on here but no-one replied.

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/index.p...2336&hl=steward

Have only heard of demo's, anyone seen an issue????

Edited by richard
Social source share

Guest soultempo

As soon as a GRACE JONES - SORRY :unsure: is dropped at a venue, such as the up & coming Birmingham Smooth/Jazz FM weekender, it will explode ... !!! :dance:

Every time I drop it Soul Bro' are inundated for copies!

Likewise for:

DELLS - LIFE IS A TIME :yes:

DELLS - DON'T TRICK ME TREAT ME :yes:

MAJOR LANCE - DON'T YOU KNOW I LOVE YOU (CONTEMPO) has had the same reaction :yes:

As did the JOHNSON FAMILY - PEACE IN THE FAMILY which was picked up on, by Steve P, who will/has turned it into a monster !

LEON THOMAS - LOVE EACH OTHER ... ... well is another "as good as it gets" monster that has taken off, as prices have recently rocketed ... therefore, this probably no longer counts!

Additionally: "Seaside Soul Club" / "Family Tree" anthems that are bubbling, if not already burst !!!

1) CAROLINE CRAWFORD - NICE FEELIN' ... ... going !

2) BEN MOORE - I GOT A FEELIN IN YOU ... ... going !!

3) DRIFTERS - POUR YOUR LITTLE HEART OUT ... gone !!!

Finally Kev Oxo's choice the TYMES - ALL YOU EVER WANTED TO KNOW ABOUT LOVE - a sleeping giant ... :D !!!

kind regards, Shaun.

All the above, last year, could have been bought for up to 30 quid ... most still can !

Social source share

when I do get the chance to play a few I enjoy throwing in records I played when I was resident and the Wirrina in 1975...there are loads out there that are truly forgotten...all these should cost you £20 THE LOT!!

https://www.soulclub.org/stream/Alfreda_Bro...d_And_Bound.ram

https://www.soulclub.org/stream/Betty_Wrigh...A_Love_Tree.ram

https://www.soulclub.org/stream/Jackie_Beav..._You_(Pt_1).ram

Edited by PaulDonely
Social source share

I got a mint copy about 6 months ago from the States for a tenner then posted up on the Modculture website asking if anyone knew it as it sounds great, Neil Henderson from The Hideaway replied saying he was after a copy and a bit of a feeding frenzy started. Neil now has a copy and was saying it took him quite some time to get one. I'd also posted up about it on here but no-one replied.

Have only heard of demo's, anyone seen an issue????

Re- Jimmy Steward Jr - Convince Me - Coral

I've only seen a USA demo too, there was one on ebay a couple of months back and it went for about $120.

Mine's a Canadian copy (maroon, not sure if it's demo or not, i'll have to dig it out and have a butchers).

Social source share

Probably both ... although the large increase in prices and demand seem to occur when one of the big DJs pick up on something, Stratoliners on Federal being a a good example: was 'known' as far back as '82/3 (covered as Fabulous Four - My, My Baby although received little turntable action) and has never been more than £20 - £30, since Butch has been playing it you can't get a copy for less than £150.

exactly! I remember our Kid clearing the Wilton floor with the this one way back. It is a great record though :unsure:

Social source share

We have probably had threads like this before but i was thinking about the Pat and the Blenders record going for silly money....and everyone saying its crazy...so what do you think the next record to go through the roof is?

A few rules; it cant be a mega-rarity, it must be known or semi-known and currently available for less than £30.........I`m thinking about the next Betty Swan, Ace Spectrum, David Ruffin kinda thing........

Chris

Can't get out and about much these days with work so not really sure, but what about Dynamic's 'Ain't no love at all' and Barbara and the Believer's 'What can happen to me now'. Tried and failed with both of these back in 90s :angry:

Social source share

Re- Jimmy Steward Jr - Convince Me - Coral

I've only seen a USA demo too, there was one on ebay a couple of months back and it went for about $120.

Mine's a Canadian copy (maroon, not sure if it's demo or not, i'll have to dig it out and have a butchers).

John Manship had one on his website for a ton :lol: and it sold straight after my aforementioned Modculture posting :lol:

If you like tunes like this pop along to The Upbeat night meself and Andy Powell run in Westcliffe (someone had to get a plug in somewhere didn't they :lol: )

Edited by richard
Social source share

when I do get the chance to play a few I enjoy throwing in records I played when I was resident and the Wirrina in 1975...there are loads out there that are truly forgotten...all these should cost you £20 THE LOT!!

https://www.soulclub.org/stream/Alfreda_Bro...d_And_Bound.ram

https://www.soulclub.org/stream/Betty_Wrigh...A_Love_Tree.ram

https://www.soulclub.org/stream/Jackie_Beav..._You_(Pt_1).ram

Alfreda Brockington - Your Love Has Got Me Chained And Bound :lol:

Social source share

As soon as a GRACE JONES - SORRY :lol: is dropped at a venue, such as the up & coming Birmingham Smooth/Jazz FM weekender, it will explode ... !!! :dance:

Absolutely excellent ,bought this of Back door Ken at Cleethorpes for £7.00 about seven years ago and has been in the store room ever since I tried playing out ,to no response

worth another try

Doug

:lol::lol:

Social source share

We have probably had threads like this before but i was thinking about the Pat and the Blenders record going for silly money....and everyone saying its crazy...so what do you think the next record to go through the roof is?

A few rules; it cant be a mega-rarity, it must be known or semi-known and currently available for less than £30.........I`m thinking about the next Betty Swan, Ace Spectrum, David Ruffin kinda thing........

How bout.......

"Love Has Joined Us Together" Naturelles - Venture

"Sock Some Lovin At Me" Bobby Patterson - Jetstar

"Guilty" Symphonics - Curtom

"Never Never" Herbs - Smoke

"Ill Try" Sam And Bill - Decca

"What Can Go Wrong" Thrills - Capitol

"Hes The One" Patti Drew - Capitol

"Too Late" Tavares - Capitol

"Wake Up Susan" Spinners - Atlantic

"You Cant Take Love" Cash McCall - Thomas

"Player Play On" Norman Rickett - It

"My World" Four Shades - Ronn

.... all great records in my book! :lol:

steve

Social source share

Talked about this one on here before, but how about 'Jerry Butler - Only The Strong Survive' got to be due a re-run !!

Strange thing too, for such a supposedly cheap & plentyful oldie, why as J M got none for sale ?? :ohmy:

P.s.

I bought about half a dozen copies for a couple of $ each 3 or 4 years back just in case, so please send it soaring ! :unsure:

Social source share

I think it is exactly that! A "name" DJ starts playing something and all of a sudden everyone "has" to have one.

An example: Dave Rimmer was looking through my sales box a few years ago and spotted The Casualeers - Dance, Dance, Dance (on demo) which I had at 20. It had been there for about a year at 20. Dave says "always wanted a copy of that and never picked one up, think I'll play it next time out" That's nice I thought, always like to see someone pick up a record they really like.

6 months later they are changing hands at 200 dollars on eBay :angry: :ohmy::ohmy::D

Same thing with Brown Sugar - The Game is Over, I heard Shifty play this and told Jo Wallace I thought it was pants. She who is wiser than me tells me that I should pick up a couple of copies if I see them, so I do (2 issues & a demo for 6 dollars each) and hey presto it goes massive about 6 months later after a few other DJ's start playing it. Still got the demo but sold the issues for about 40 thinking I had done well, they turn up on lists now at up to 125 (How Much!?! as they say round here). Its grown on me but I still don't really like it that much.

It's probably rarer than Ace Spectrum but not really that rare, and this seems to be a common theme, most of these records that go massive for a short time are not very rare at all - e.g. Betty Swann - Kiss My Ar** Goodbye. I sold someone a copy of that for 120 after they contacted me and asked for one, they told me that dealers had told them they wouldn't get a copy for less than 200 quid :unsure: , can you shift them for more than 40 these days? I've had 4 without really trying. Bobby Day? On eBay every week, I have no idea what the current over priced big tunes are as I haven't been out for 3 years due to running my Pub, but I'm sure there are some similar examples.

I wish someone would start pushing The Temptations - Loneliness Made Me Realise (It's You That I Need), its a great tune but I have about 8 of them, so that's my tip :D:D

https://www.soulclub.org/stream/The_Temptat...That_I_Need.ram

Cheers

Paul

I have the dubious accolade of putting Shifty on to this after hearing Maxine Woon play it at one of the Uptown Down South do's, was picking copies up for about a tenner back then. Other sIde is great BTW.

With the prices its supply & demand, even records that are fairly common to diggers, once demand goes up for these discs, you cant find enough copies quick enough, so the price goes up. Once demand wains slightly, because the records wernt particularly rare in the first place they turn up, but IMO The price should go down too.

My nomination for future biggie, James Crawford - I f You Dont Work, You Cant Eat - Mercury, thumping Northern, when this gets play's again......whoooooooooooosh !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. Dont say I never told ya.

Also what about Jackie Verdell - Are You Ready For This - Decca, Mike from Cali beat me to a copy last year in FL, he played it at the nighter & it went down a storm, got me a copy now too & love it, theres another version by the Blue Eyed Soul, much rarer, but the Jackie Verdell stands up well & sounds slightly rawer, which is funny cos the BES is a little Virginia label & obviously Decca would have had better production facilties. Its a good un tho' & cheap as the proverbial chips right now, get one quick.

Russ

Edited by Russ Vickers
Social source share

Guest rachel

Also what about Jackie Verdell - Are You Ready For This - Decca, Mike from Cali beat me to a copy last year in FL, he played it at the nighter & it went down a storm, got me a copy now too & love it, theres another version by the Blue Eyed Soul, much rarer, but the Jackie Verdell stands up well & sounds slightly rawer, which is funny cos the BES is a little Virginia label & obviously Decca would have had better production facilties. Its a good un tho' & cheap as the proverbial chips right now, get one quick.

Russ

Great tune, played it out a few times 2-3 years ago, must be sort-of known as got some dancers (and a request for it next time I played in same venue in one instance).

Social source share

Guest Kevin J

Imperial Wonders-Just A Dream DAY WOOD superb!

Was after this about 6 months ago, and picked one up for a reasonable price. Especially considering I was given prices ranging from 40.00-150.00 UK!

-Mike

Mike -

There is a dealer up here who tends to have a lot of UK Beacon releases ... dunno why, but he does. Ill keep an eye out for this one if you really want it. Next record fair is in June.

Kev

Social source share

Guest Kevin J

The Gambrells - I'm In love Again (For The First Time) - Cub

great detroit 45, I used to put this on tape swaps early 80s, as good as anything else they have done but cheaper!

One of our guys plays this a lot. Nice tune. On our current CD.

Social source share

How about:

Superb choice :thumbsup:

I agree with the Soul Notes although it has had fair few spins lately. How about the bit rarer flip, Don't Make Me Beg, spun that one ouit a few times recently.

Turks and Profiles both had plenty of spins although never really took off.

One that deserves to go and still cheap is JJ Daniels Mr. Lonesome on Sureshot :thumbsup:

Just read this after posting a reply :thumbsup: Gotta agree with ya Joan, quality :yes:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert