Going Big.....what Will Be Next?

What? Me personally? :lol:whistling.gif

No, I'm sure you can :lol: , each to their own.

Actually, thinking about it, maybe you couldn't, well not all of it, cos you would have to run from behind the decks, dance, then get back before it finishes. Oh dear, now it looks like I mean no one else would play it, and that's not what I meant at all. :lol::shades:

No offence meant, it was just a general comment as there was a copy on ebay with a soundfile but I couldn't find it.

I wouldn't dance to it however and not just cos I'm old. :lol:

Cheers

Paul

Social source share

• Replies 246
  • Views 19.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Check out The Exsaveyons - I Don't Love You No More - Smoke 600 - George Blackwell's Newark, New Jersey based company famous of course for his Northern classic 'Can't Lose My Head', this record has always been pretty common but very much overlooked in my mind, if it was one of the more hard to finds it's quality suggests four figures to me, again another record played during the sixties newie boom of the early 80's this should have been a monster, up the in production and style to the likes of The Montclairs on Arch for example so you get the picture, seen this for as little as £8.00 recently but will sky rocket once copies circulate, a record which i'm sure one or two of the major dealers would have stock of but i might be wrong?

The Companions - "Be Yourself" - General American 711 - I've always loved this record out of Philadelphia, never been much more than twenty quid far less than the Honey And The Bee's version but equal in quality, an instant record that again has it all for me, possibly considered too much of an oldie to really become big on the current scene but well worth a mention here and the odd spin out and about at the gigs.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Check out The Exsaveyons - I Don't Love You No More - Smoke 600 - George Blackwell's Newark, New Jersey based company famous of course for his Northern classic 'Can't Lose My Head', this record has always been pretty common but very much overlooked in my mind, if it was one of the more hard to finds it's quality suggests four figures to me, again another record played during the sixties newie boom of the early 80's this should have been a monster, up the in production and style to the likes of The Montclairs on Arch for example so you get the picture, seen this for as little as £8.00 recently but will sky rocket once copies circulate, a record which i'm sure one or two of the major dealers would have stock of but i might be wrong?

As ever Bicknell is way off the pace with this valuation on the 'Exsaveyons', i've just had a peek on JM's site and he has one listed at fifty quid still a bargain and you can play a sound clip just to confirm my review.

The Companions - "Be Yourself" - General American 711 - I've always loved this record out of Philadelphia, never been much more than twenty quid far less than the Honey And The Bee's version but equal in quality, an instant record that again has it all for me, possibly considered too much of an oldie to really become big on the current scene but well worth a mention here and the odd spin out and about at the gigs.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Guest Netspeaky
How about Donny Mann " Little golden band " [ Mr Chand ] sounds rather like Kent Drake " Boss thing together "[ Wand ] or Ty Hunter " I don't see me in your eyes anymore " [invictus ] Two good one's for the crossover scene at least ? Best ,Eddie
Mark, plenty of copies of The Exsaveyons - I Don't Love You No More - Smoke 600 about, but for some reason people seem to still over look, maybe it's down to the DJ's not playing it. sad.gif Edited by Netspeaky
Social source share

Mark, plenty of copies of The Exsaveyons - I Don't Love You No More - Smoke 600 about, but for some reason people seem to still over look, maybe it's down to the DJ's not playing it. sad.gif

Got it in a soul pack (10 for a fiver) years ago-think I`ve still got it somewhere...(Hey girl.......)

Social source share

No, I'm sure you can :lol: , each to their own.

Actually, thinking about it, maybe you couldn't, well not all of it, cos you would have to run from behind the decks, dance, then get back before it finishes. Oh dear, now it looks like I mean no one else would play it, and that's not what I meant at all. laugh.gif:lol:

No offence meant, it was just a general comment as there was a copy on ebay with a soundfile but I couldn't find it.

I wouldn't dance to it however and not just cos I'm old. :shades:

Cheers

Paul

Nah, just joking myself Paul! But it`s amazing what stuff you accumulate in your boxes over the years. Sometimes you struggle to remember:

Where you bought it

Who you bought it from

Why the hell you bought it in the first place!!!!

:lol::lol:

Edited by The Soul Intention
Social source share

Check out The Exsaveyons - I Don't Love You No More - Smoke 600

Another one I've been playing after picking up on Ebay for $2.50!! Really is incredible how tunes like this don't get any recognition. Been filling my play box with tunes like this, as it's much more satisfying knowing you haven't broken the bank and still have a quality set!

Here's another cheapie that should have across the board appeal, G. Chandler & B. Acklin "Will I Find Love". I know everyone uses the term "just right for today's scene", but I think this might actually fit that criteria.....

Also, George Torrence & The Naturals "So Long Goodbye" is another great tune and there's always 3-4 copies on Ebay at any given time.........

-Mike

Gen_Chandler___Barbara_Acklin_Will_I_Find_Love.mp3

George_Torrance_So_Long_Goodbye.mp3

Edited by recordwanted
Social source share

Mark, plenty of copies of The Exsaveyons - I Don't Love You No More - Smoke 600 about, but for some reason people seem to still over look, maybe it's down to the DJ's not playing it. :yes:

Same story Mark with a lot of records, quantity just means more people can get a copy...lol still as we both know if a record is of a quality it matters very little how many copies there are out there does it???

Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Saw one of these on eBay recently, here it is:

https://cgi.ebay.com/JESSIE-MAE-dont-freeze...1QQcmdZViewItem

I thought there was a sound file actually, but there doesn't seem to be. Funny cos I thought I'd heard it and had thought that you couldn't dance to that :yes:

Anyway, seems to have it's admirers, not me though and I do like some R&B

An R&B sound to go big? Try these:

Rosco Gordon - You Got My Bait - Jomada

roscog.mp3

Anna King - Mama's Got A Bag of Her Own - End (if it isn't big already)

annak.mp3

Jackie Shane - Comin Down - Sue (Bit of a dodgy start and maybe not really R&B either)

jackies.mp3

Cheers

Paul

Rosco Gordon? Didn`t know it but...Nice...right up my street..just the type of 45 I like....

I know Jackie Shane and Anna King of old..rare northern. Used to be spun at a certain nighter I used to attend.....

Social source share

No, I'm sure you can :yes: , each to their own.

Actually, thinking about it, maybe you couldn't, well not all of it, cos you would have to run from behind the decks, dance, then get back before it finishes. Oh dear, now it looks like I mean no one else would play it, and that's not what I meant at all. :yes::yes:

I wouldn't dance to it however and not just cos I'm old. :D

Cheers

Paul

And I used to get a right bollocking from a certain promoter called Ray Hudson (R.I.P. brother) for doing so.....

Social source share

Guest rachel

Well that confirms it Steve as far as I'm concerned. The Continental Four is 'bubbling under' down south, before it goes BIG nationwide.

What did I tell ya!

:yes:

Sean Hampsey

Well Manchester and Yorkshire are South from me but heard it plenty there too :yes::D

Mark, plenty of copies of The Exsaveyons - I Don't Love You No More - Smoke 600 about, but for some reason people seem to still over look, maybe it's down to the DJ's not playing it. :yes:

Yeah, still see this cheap on eBay - few people playing it but none of the 'big names' as far as I know.

Social source share

We have probably had threads like this before but i was thinking about the Pat and the Blenders record going for silly money....and everyone saying its crazy...so what do you think the next record to go through the roof is?

A few rules; it cant be a mega-rarity, it must be known or semi-known and currently available for less than £30.........I`m thinking about the next Betty Swan, Ace Spectrum, David Ruffin kinda thing........

Chris

Hi Chris,got a lot of tunes mentioned in your post/therefore replies to, for sale, that are reasonably priced :yes: The tune for me, is one that was played not too long ago at the Greatstone by John May...

fabulous whistling too.......Connie McGill and the Visions "so glad I found you".......BRILL £30

Social source share

lots of nice tracks been mentioned and some eerr ok ones...

I would add my support to the Seb Williams track, as its top notch..and i think these one's need a shout too:

Johnny Moore - lonely heart in the city - Bluerock ( this is just a remarkable piece of soul!! )

im still surprised that Shirley Wahls - why am i crying - King ...you can still get for a reasonably cheap, this i thought would be more expensive, double sider and top notch!! good for me so i can afford one!

Well thats it for me i couldnt be arsed writing anymore im knackered and away for a brew

adios

Social source share

Hmmm..not bad I suppose,but I prefer my R N B (like my northern) to be more hard hitting and powerful,because I`m not only a DJ ,I also dance you see...Try this instead...then try finding one. Mine`s the only copy I`ve ever seen. And if you do find another, you have my admiration . Anyway, enough talk...let`s get to the action..

Here`s..

JESSIE MAE-DON`T FREEZE ON ME-ARP

Jessie Mae...... amazing record (imho)....been spinning this myself at Spondon & NMD. shades.gif:wicked:

Social source share

the Jessie Mae's awesome. got mine cheap a year or two ago, and just saw Manship had one for 150 the other day... has had plays at the Mousetrap and Shake! nights (and Le Beat Bespoke, although that was by me shades.gif ), (and by DJ Wheeliebag at the Pillars of Hercules :D )

mine and the other copies i've seen are on DRA label though...?

£150 for Jessie Mae on DRA! :wicked: Bloody hell. Had a handful of M- copies last year which I eventually sold for £20-£30 each. Kept one for myself. Might be tempted to sell it if that's the kind of money it's selling for nowadays.

Social source share

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

an excellent double sider; THE COMPANIONS , have been playing out the flip side, "help a lonely guy"

a real grower, maybe mr bicknell will give it a play on his radio show?

happy soulin

russ

NEXT L.E.L SOUL CLUB, ST.IVES, CAMBS 2nd JUNE guests SEAN CHAPMAN , ANDY GILL

plus res djs, steve phillis, russ, tony warot & nogsey

Social source share

Not sure how rare this is these days but what top tune ranting_1.gif

absolutely brilliant record :yes:

as is this, which is 'big for me' in my attic...my neighbours love it, whenever i stick it on and give it some serious wattage they even congregate in the street outside waving their fists and pitchforks in time to it ranting_1.gif

margie_joseph___one_more_chance.mp3

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

absolutely brilliant record ranting_1.gif

as is this, which is 'big for me' in my attic...my neighbours love it, whenever i stick it on and give it some serious wattage they even congregate in the street outside waving their fists and pitchforks in time to it ranting_1.gif

I once went to 4 different Soul nights on one Friday in London. At each one of them I heard M Joseph. Absolutely huge in london about 5 years ago, and still a great tune, but probably had its day.

Social source share

CITATIONS - KEEP THE FAITH - BALLAD

WHY ISN'T THIS A MASSIVE TUNE??????????

IT'S BRILLIANT!!!!!

biggrin.gif

ALSO SPENCER - MY BABY'S COMING HOME/LOVE THAT'S OUTTA SIGHT - MIDTOWN

Social source share

One stand out for me is the Georgia Prophets on Capricorn/Jubilee "Dont you think its time" I have had both versions and they are different I think, the capricorn release being more plush with harmony and strings. Love it, I think Pat Brady played it at Prestatyn recently. Deserves more air play.

Colin

Social source share

Guest Netspeaky

Dug out a few more cheapies that could for a lot more if the masses started chasing them.

Johnny Williams - Maggie (Twinight)

Philly Devotions - Hurt so bad (Columbia)

Philly Devotions - I just can't make it (Columbia)

Derek Martin - Beautiful woman (All Platinum)

Freda Payne - I can't live on a memory (Capitol)

A C Tilmon & The Detroit Emeralds - Rosetta Stone (Westbound)

:thumbsup:

Social source share

WHY ISN'T THIS A MASSIVE TUNE??????????

IT'S BRILLIANT!!!!!

:D

ALSO SPENCER - MY BABY'S COMING HOME/LOVE THAT'S OUTTA SIGHT - MIDTOWN

It was a massive tune at Stafford ... not heard it out for ages though ... brings back some good memories :D

Social source share

Hi Chris,got a lot of tunes mentioned in your post/therefore replies to, for sale, that are reasonably priced :D The tune for me, is one that was played not too long ago at the Greatstone by John May...

fabulous whistling too.......Connie McGill and the Visions "so glad I found you".......BRILL £30

And I also quite like CAN`T STOP MY LOVE by the same group...

Social source share

Guest Oggie

I`m playing it at our place-Where?-just look under my avatar..they love it!! A thirty quid record that sounds like a thousand pounder...

Great record...We (Melton Mafia) gave it some regular hammer during the first couple of years at No More Doggin' along with other reactivated tunes like the Neptunes - Girl thats an awful thing to say and The Righteous Brothers - Its up to you, etc,etc

Oggie.

Social source share

It was a massive tune at Stafford ... not heard it out for ages though ... brings back some good memories :D

B4 my time Joan :D , but i wish i'd been there!!!!!!!!!! Definately should be re-activated then..............

Social source share

Guest uroffal

Another great forgotten (?) Stafford spin ripe for reactivation IMO (and still £30 or less despite not being terribly common): The Ebonies - You've Got What I Want - Mid West

Was covered as The Chandlers I think by Pat Brady

Would go massive if played by the right DJ :D

Social source share

Great record...We (Melton Mafia) gave it some regular hammer during the first couple of years at No More Doggin' along with other reactivated tunes like the Neptunes - Girl thats an awful thing to say and The Righteous Brothers - Its up to you, etc,etc

Oggie.

Been trying that with stuff like Case Of Tyme etc. Some sound advice for all you "classic oldies"

people. Give `em a break for a couple of years and then start playin `em again. And they sound as fresh as daisies..Again.

Social source share

It was a massive tune at Stafford ... not heard it out for ages though ... brings back some good memories whistling.gif

been playing this regular at venues like Sheridans and Middleton. Always someone comes up and asks what it is. Sheridans two once came up, found out what it was and went into the record bar and bought a copy.

Old Magnificent Men cover up if memory serves me right :wicked:

Edited by chalky
Social source share

Make a girl feel old why don't you ..... :lol:

but i agree .... would be good to hear it again whistling.gif

OOPS! Didn't mean offence Joan!!!!!!!!!!! I'm 37, and started going to nighters in late 80's, my first being a one off at Coventry!!(i travelled all the way there from London on me tod, but had a great time), and then regularly at the 100 club. When was Stafford going? 80's wasn't it?

Carl :wicked:

Social source share

On a similar note, a record that I've got and that I've never heard out :lol: , but I think would sound great over a big system and could therefore go big. I think it's currently about £20-£25. :wicked:

The Volumes - My Kind Of Girl (Inferno)

What kind of do's do you go to if you've never heard this? ranting_1.gif

Have heard it out and about for years :lol: Tis a lovely record

* luv this but prefer the flip My road is the right road that I try to hammer as much as I can over here. Heavy Metal Northern Soul !

Social source share

On a similar note, a record that I've got and that I've never heard out :lol: , but I think would sound great over a big system and could therefore go big. I think it's currently about £20-£25. :wicked:

The Volumes - My Kind Of Girl (Inferno)

What kind of do's do you go to if you've never heard this? ranting_1.gif

Have heard it out and about for years :lol: Tis a lovely record

* luv this but prefer the flip My road is the right road that I try to hammer as much as I can over here. Heavy Metal Northern Soul !

And yet again..that`s ANOTHER one that I play.(My Kind Of Girl).You really ought to take a trip to our place...

Social source share

A definite winner and as cheap as chips has to be The Masqueraders on ABC - Sweet sweetening, bargainsville I reckon at such a paltry sum. Its just so catchy.

Excuse me, but are you THE Lee Bates??

What am I gonna do? What am I gonna say? No need to ask why I don`t write though...

Social source share

We have probably had threads like this before but i was thinking about the Pat and the Blenders record going for silly money....and everyone saying its crazy...so what do you think the next record to go through the roof is?

A few rules; it cant be a mega-rarity, it must be known or semi-known and currently available for less than £30.........I`m thinking about the next Betty Swan, Ace Spectrum, David Ruffin kinda thing........

Chris

Hi Chris,have read all replies so far and apart from a few of the "modern" tunes mentioned I have known all the tunes listed ranting_1.gif The point I am about to make is that I must have been really fortunate 15/20 years ago to have a very strong "tape swopping " circle of soulies from across G.B.

People who phoned(and still do) with the latest tune purchased.Sales tapes from fellow collectors helped too.

The knowledge about what is the next biggie MUST be linked to what someone has recently heard themselves ...........and that they believe in IMO ATB Stevie

Social source share

Not sure if it will ever go 'massive' but a great track that is easily available for under a tenner:

Gene Chandler - I'll Make the Living If You Make the Loving Worthwhile. Chi Sound

Take a liste on JMs site...£10 well spent..I think so!

Social source share

Five Royals - Catch that teardrop whistling.gif

Baz ,you make my previous post entirely :thumbsup: I played this and have sold it on both labels several timesover .Maybe the venues you frequent have yet to find the tunes .....oh and its a lot more than Chris ,on his post,asked for ...ie £200 ish now as "whats the next biggie" Stevie z

Social source share

Baz ,you make my previous post entirely whistling.gif I played this and have sold it on both labels several timesover .Maybe the venues you frequent have yet to find the tunes .....oh and its a lot more than Chris ,on his post,asked for ...ie £200 ish now as "whats the next biggie" Stevie z

Stevie, I frequent some of the countrys leading nighters, it was just a bit of a piss take mate :thumbsup:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert