Margaret Little On Ebay

Soulsider

I thought this was a manufactured tune when i first heard it.On one of the recordings from a while back,on the intro,if you turned it up really loud,there's a dj type "Oh Baby" can be heard.

Anyway,its one that grew on me,and i think the frailty in her voice adds to the production.After all there loads of NS tunes where the singer can't "sing".........7/10.

It is a manufactured record, done as a favour for a friend of Popcorn's his barber's wife or, something, there was a thread about this.....

I've got a couple of broken 45's I might stick on at this rate!

Social source share

It is a manufactured record, done as a favour for a friend of Popcorn's his barber's wife or, something, there was a thread about this.....

I've got a couple of broken 45's I might stick on at this rate!

I don't understand what is meant by 'manufactured record'.....could someone explain? thanks

Social source share

could be the case that some dj will play the boot, then when someone comes up to the decks to check it out, the said dj will pull the original

copy out of his 1000 x 45 record coffin to show off his prized possession still in its cardboard sleeve( and off course he will explain that hes had his copy for years before it went big and paid 0.99cents) then the next thing you know his cred goes from 1 to 10 lol unless off course you think the record is crap??

actually sounds quite a good plan, must put a bid in....lol

happy soulin

russ

Thinking out loud again I see Russ :)

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I don't understand what is meant by 'manufactured record'.....could someone explain? thanks

Not sure how you link to previous theads...

from Rob Moss 19.02.10

"Popcorn told me that a guy came to him with a singer he wanted recording. Thought he was a barber and seemed to think the guy's name was Geneboro"

and from Dave Thorley also 19.02.10

"Popcorn told me that it was a contract job. She came in wanting to put a record out, paid Richard whatever, he recorded her, arranged pressing and handed them over to her. As far as he was concerned that was the end of the story.

Took him a while to remember the record when he was first asked about it. Producers like him would work on their own material for their own labels or the label they were signed to at the time and also do contract jobs. So Richards name does pop up on a few Detroit things where his involvement may have been little.

Normally when you see executive producer on a label, the chances of them being at the studio when the track was cut is only 50/50"

Social source share

Not sure how you link to previous theads...

from Rob Moss 19.02.10

"Popcorn told me that a guy came to him with a singer he wanted recording. Thought he was a barber and seemed to think the guy's name was Geneboro"

and from Dave Thorley also 19.02.10

"Popcorn told me that it was a contract job. She came in wanting to put a record out, paid Richard whatever, he recorded her, arranged pressing and handed them over to her. As far as he was concerned that was the end of the story.

Took him a while to remember the record when he was first asked about it. Producers like him would work on their own material for their own labels or the label they were signed to at the time and also do contract jobs. So Richards name does pop up on a few Detroit things where his involvement may have been little.

Normally when you see executive producer on a label, the chances of them being at the studio when the track was cut is only 50/50"

Yep was his barber who was called Greenbro or a version of that. Andy Rix spoke to Margret a while back don't think she had a copy of the record. I spent a number of years trying to find the barber in question, but after Richard has passed. So asked his daughters and friends who this could have been, but with no luck. All I found out was he was based somewhere on the west side of the city, but that's a mighty big area...

Edited by Dave Thorley
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

It's now USD $898 - which translates to over GBP £550! :ohmy:

The current high bidder bid $667, then $777, then $888, then got the high bid with the $898 - what does that pattern of bidding tell you?

It's turning into quite good entertainment now

If any of the bidders are on here, please step forward so we can all ask you what on earth you are thinking :lol: :lol:

Cheers

Richard

Social source share

What i meant by manufactured,was for the NS scene.It sounded almost too perfect, to clean and precise in the production,then add in a vocal like that and bingo.

Of course i didn't know,at the time about Popcorn Wylie's influence,so the above is all bllcks.I thank you.

Edited by KevH
Social source share

sorry, this was confusing, KevH said "manufactured tune" (as in tailor made) and Tony Smith in response said it was a "manufactured record" (talking about it being a custom recording / press) and I was explaining what I think Tony meant in his response.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

sorry, this was confusing, KevH said "manufactured tune" (as in tailor made) and Tony Smith in response said it was a "manufactured record" (talking about it being a custom recording / press) and I was explaining what I think Tony meant in his response.

Don't worry Bob - after all it's not the end if the world is it :-)

Cheers

Richard

Edited by Premium Stuff
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

copies turning up though !, a mate found one in Minneapolis but it's cracked ! anther fella i know found 2 copies in France and again one is cracked !!

wonder if after getting it home Margaret played it and thought Damn !! hence why a lot of them are cracked !! :yes:

top record imho and always gets me dancing which these days is something lol

Ian.

Social source share

Guest chorleybloke

People can knock it all they like but it rams every dance floor everywhere. It's not soulful, the lyrics might not be great, her voice might not be great but it is a great northern dancer.

Spot on analysis Chalky. And lets not forget, bidders on this calibre of record are not necessarily NS enthusiasts, they just like to collect rare artifacts. Kev Murphy told me that a bloke walked up to him after he'd just played his Larry Clinton issue with an envelope stuffed with 8 grand. Kev knocked him back and spoke to him about it later - turned out he knew bugger all about NS, but wanted it because of its sheer rarity.

Cheers..........Pete

Social source share

It's now USD $898 - which translates to over GBP £550! :ohmy:

The current high bidder bid $667, then $777, then $888, then got the high bid with the $898 - what does that pattern of bidding tell you?

It's turning into quite good entertainment now

If any of the bidders are on here, please step forward so we can all ask you what on earth you are thinking :lol: :lol:

Cheers

Richard

I bid $888. But mainly as a laugh. If I won it great, if not so what?

Social source share

Wish I could buy stuff for £600 just for a laugh... "what you got there Pete" "Oh it's a Lathe, I bought it for a laugh" "Oh thats alright then"

It's not £600 only about £560.

It would be worth that though, surely?

I could drill a hole through it and put ot on the wall like a similar shape Lester Tipton I have.

Social source share

Here's the punch line: the ONLY reason I'm selling it because I found a slightly better (very) cracked copy that PLAYS!

It's nothing personal against you Brad ,people are just astounded that others would bid so crazy for it .

As far as I'm concerned ,you've made a point of giving every possible detail inc scans and sounds ,so fair play and I hope you get a top price for it .

Atb and seasons greetings :)

• Helpful 2
Social source share

In all seriousness I think it makes British collectors look like they've lost their marbles, obviously the recession isn't touching people who can burn more than $800 on a f**ked 45, rare or, otherwise, and no wonder more and more trashed 45's show up for sale. Andy Rix should auction the six pieces of the Counts Shrine 45, he might end up with a couple of grand.

People are, thankfully, free to spend their money on whatever they want.

I buy records that I want and never pay more than I am willing to.

I used to go to the US several times a year buying records and bought tons of stuff at next to nowt. Many duplicates etc which I have now started selling at a healthy profit, so I now buy out of those profits mostly.

To be honest though, I didn't actually read the description on this one or I wouldn't have bid. I'm so happy I was outbid :)

Social source share

People are, thankfully, free to spend their money on whatever they want.

I buy records that I want and never pay more than I am willing to.

I used to go to the US several times a year buying records and bought tons of stuff at next to nowt. Many duplicates etc which I have now started selling at a healthy profit, so I now buy out of those profits mostly.

To be honest though, I didn't actually read the description on this one or I wouldn't have bid. I'm so happy I was outbid :)

Get you!

I'm impressed!

Do you bother looking at the supermarket, or do you just throw your money around and wait for the little people to do something for you?

• Helpful 1
Social source share