Customs Charges From Outside Eu

Simsy

one major thing I'd overlooked was condition - New.

Most of the time these records will be used, so no problem.

I'm unclear as to whether V.A.T is applicable on used items, or used records I should say..

Only V.A.T I can think of on second hand items are commercial vehicles?

Social source share

I'm unclear as to whether V.A.T is applicable on used items, or used records I should say..

VAT is applicable on second hand items.  I bought a used record from the states, didn't get hit with a customs charge but got hit with a £5 VAT charge + £8 post office admin fee.

https://www.hmrc.gov.uk/customs/tax-and-duty.htm#3

Edited by John Reed
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

some of my 45s get sent as a gift /used 45

Mine was marked as a gift on the new evil spill the beans label.

I don't think the used and gift angle is going to work anymore.

I'm going to buy all my records from Pete Smith from now on, problem solved.  :thumbsup:  :D

Social source share

some of my 45s get sent as a gift /used 45

When I got charged VAT, the package was also marked as a gift and here's the rub...... When receiving stuff marked as a gift, If customs feel there is a comercial transaction behind the package, they can charge import VAT.  You then need to prove to them that:

"there is no commercial or trade element and the gift has not been paid for either directly or indirectly by anyone in the UK"

So i'd rather pay the VAT than having HMRC going through my eBay/Bank/Paypal details just for them to make an example of me.

Edited by John Reed
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Here's a slant on the above for you.

Won a record on ebay for $4.99. P&p was $8. Total $12.99

Stupid tw@t in America put $40 as value on Customs sticker, incurring a £13.4 or $20 fee, including the £8 admin charge.

Can't do anything about it according to ebay, except to report the stupid cnut, for which he will be reprimanded by ebay and given a warning not to do it again.

That still leaves me $20 / £13.04 shy.

Have written to the seller, via ebay and his personal email address. No reply.

Oh, and I can't leave him negative feedback because I bought and paid for it back on the 29th November 2012 and it only arrived on 20th February 2013, way past the 60 days I have to leave feedback.

Edited by denbo
Social source share

When I got charged VAT, the package was also marked as a gift and here's the rub...... When receiving stuff marked as a gift, If customs feel there is a comercial transaction behind the package, they can charge import VAT.  You then need to prove to them that:

"there is no commercial or trade element and the gift has not been paid for either directly or indirectly by anyone in the UK"

So i'd rather pay the VAT than having HMRC going through my eBay/Bank/Paypal details just for them to make an example of me.

Hi John,

Bit confused  on this one. If the package was marked as "Gift" then what value was used to establish a charge?? :g:

When I've received records marked as "gift" there is non value declared :huh:

Cheers

Kev Bod

Social source share

Hi John,

Bit confused  on this one. If the package was marked as "Gift" then what value was used to establish a charge?? :g:

Cheers

Kev Bod

Depending on the PO worker, some won't send it without a value on it. It's about 50/50 in my experience.

The downside of leaving it blank anyway is you leave it up to them to think of something and no idea how creative they may get.

I'll try and think of something  :huh:

If it's not too much trouble. I'm sure a lot of people would be grateful.

How about you guys. Now they can't buy from us are they beating a path to Wolverhampton to get their fix?

Social source share

Hi John,

Cheers

Kev Bod

Kev,

Even though it was a gift there was a value of $40 on the docket.  Converting that to Sterling @ 1.6 and calculating 20% on that it comes to a fiver.    It was below the gift threshold of £40 but must of not looked like a true gift.

Edited by John Reed
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Depending on the PO worker, some won't send it without a value on it. It's about 50/50 in my experience.

The downside of leaving it blank anyway is you leave it up to them to think of something and no idea how creative they may get.

If it's not too much trouble. I'm sure a lot of people would be grateful.

How about you guys. Now they can't buy from us are they beating a path to Wolverhampton to get their fix?

No but they might be in a week or two  :thumbsup:

Social source share

Kev,

Even though it was a gift there was a value of $40 on the docket.  Converting that to Sterling @ 1.6 and calculating 20% on that it comes to a fiver.    It was below the gift threshold of £40 but must of not looked like a true gift.

Is there truly a minimum figure for a gift after which a customs charge is made? If so, what's that figure? £40?

Social source share

Feck! Was he obliged to list the value do you think?

Never paid these kinds of fees from the US before. Is this always the case with dearer items?

It was a bit of a bargain, but is turning out less so by the day!

Seller is not obliged to declare true value, only "value for customs" sometimes if the Post Office know it's been bought via Ebay they'll ask

for proof of payment/value. If the seller had say declared $50.00 but record cost $300.00 he need only declare the 50, if it got lost or damaged

he could claim the $300.00.

Social source share

Guest Garry Huxley

vat is paid on new items, when resold are free from, however no uk tax has been paid on imports new or used so are liable for duty to be paid.

i think the comment on smuggling sounds good.!!

Social source share

vat is paid on new items, when resold are free from, however no uk tax has been paid on imports new or used so are liable for duty to be paid.

i think the comment on smuggling sounds good.!!

I think - all joking aside, the knock on effect of this will be less UK sales for American dealers and more crate digging sorties by UK hounds.

Social source share

I don't know if you've been buying in the States recently Ian, but it isn't as easy as rucking up in the US and falling over piles of records.

Finding owt decent is hard work, and it's getting harder and harder year on year.

I've not mate, so do you think recent developments will make the situ worse still?

Social source share

I think - all joking aside, the knock on effect of this will be less UK sales for American dealers and more crate digging sorties by UK hounds.

I wish! 

Gave it up a few years ago now.  Them days are long gone now. Unless you're after beat up keepers. 

Regards,

Dave

Social source share

Guest ScooterNik

I'm not sure how this fits in here, but I get sent demos of new releases from US and Canadian ska/punk labels reasonably regularly. They're all marked as 'commercial samples' and never attract any charges.

The first one that does goes straight back :D

Social source share

if the record hadnt arrived within 30 days then people should open a item not received thing with ebay , even if the seller posted it doesnt mean its on its way , could be lost

that way you are covered to get your money back , i lost money waiting for something that never arrived from the uk ( non record thing ) and now if its not here i will open a case as not loosing anymore money

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry Ian thought you were on about two records.

Yes I'm Gonna Hurt You was discovered before Secret Of Mine.  I first heard it on a Soul Supply LP circa 1988 so it was obviously played before then (Stafford?)

They are probably both the same value.

I see there's a bunch of these coming on ebay. Worth keeping an eye on. Wonder if thet're pressed off centre?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251247321381?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Social source share

I've noticed a few items on US ebay now where you are invited to pay the customs fees upfront, and where that isn't something you can chose to opt out of.

Has anybody had direct experience with this? It would be interesting to see if such items came through and were still clobbered with the handling fee if not the duty/VAT.

It's probably the handling fee part of it I object to most.

Edited by garethx
Social source share

just been round to my post office and was told the price of sending an lp is going up ..anybody else heard this

Going from £2.70 to £3 minimum I read, but the weight restriction is going up so it may be cheaper to send multiple records at once in the UK after the new price designed to make more revenue, sorry, I meant to say 'new improved service'

Social source share

they dont all do it but can we make a pinned list of those ebay sellers on the US who force us to pay the customs?

had to fork out £40 yesterday taking the shine of a bargain buy somewhat

I don't necessarily see it that way. In the final analysis if you're looking to import something expensive there should be reasonable customs implications.

If it's possible to not have to go through the rigmarole of picking something up from parcelforce or fed ex (both of which are miles from me) who are holding a package to collect duty, VAT and a handling fee, I'll accept it. The pisser would be if there is a handling fee on top of an item which you've already paid the duty on at source.

They're not forcing us to pay the customs. We're all adults and can choose not to buy these items, or wait to buy them in different conditions, whether that be a cheaper price or from a different part of the world where there are no customs due.

Edited by garethx
Social source share

Hi John,

Cheers

Kev Bod

Even a gift has a value....

The value has to be enetered and that what you get charged on

Social source share

I don't necessarily see it that way. In the final analysis if you're looking to import something expensive there should be reasonable customs implications.

If it's possible to not have to go through the rigmarole of picking something up from parcelforce or fed ex (both of which are miles from me) who are holding a package to collect duty, VAT and a handling fee, I'll accept it. The pisser would be if there is a handling fee on top of an item which you've already paid the duty on at source.

They're not forcing us to pay the customs. We're all adults and can choose not to buy these items, or wait to buy them in different conditions, whether that be a cheaper price or from a different part of the world where there are no customs due.

i dont disagree and understand theres no gun to anybodies head but what grates is i had a conversation about it first with them. 

as well as that you have the option to not collect it.

Edited by JNixon
Social source share

Ive just had a charge after 200$ was put on the ticket  Import Vat = 27.75, clearance fee 13.50  grand total £41.25

It shite that Ted,

Same as happened to me it's,  no skin of the sellers nose to put a low value !

Makes your purchase 30% dearer than you thought and not the bargin you think your getting !

Anyway ATB Ted - Ray  :hatsoff2: 

Edited by Ray Copley
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Just checked a few old mailers in the garage. When they have a value, I seem to have had mainly $5 gifts!!! Hadn't noticed before. I'd assumed that no value was declared when a gift.

Cheers Jon.

KB

(p.s. - you a cyclist?)

Even a gift has a value....

The value has to be enetered and that what you get charged on

Social source share

Just had to pay £24 on a item marked as $30 !

£10 + for the customs ,but a whopping £13+ for handling by parcel force... wtf is that all about ?

If my item had a lower charge ..say $20 ,it would surely have still passsed thru customs with no charge  and been held in a parcel force depot before it got delivered ?

that for me is somebody ripping ordinary folk off :yes:

Social source share

Just had to pay £24 on a item marked as $30 !

£10 + for the customs ,but a whopping £13+ for handling by parcel force... wtf is that all about ?

If my item had a lower charge ..say $20 ,it would surely have still passsed thru customs with no charge  and been held in a parcel force depot before it got delivered ?

that for me is somebody ripping ordinary folk off :yes:

I agree with you. That is absolutely disgraceful.  Trouble is, how can you get anyone to investigate this sort of thing - local MP?

$30 is only about £23 isn't it, how they can charge what they do is beyond me, and why have they put up the handling charge from £8 to £13?

Social source share

Its not just records that people are getting upset paying VAT and Brokeridge charges on its everything. 

People order stuff via the internet thnking they are saving some money until it arrives..

If you bring a car in from outside Europe you are lable for VAT on the value of the car.

Another charge is a duty if you bring Tshirts in they charged 27% duty on new TShirts then charged you VAT on top early 90's, It has been reduced to a lower %

Social source share

Sorry Ian thought you were on about two records.

Yes I'm Gonna Hurt You was discovered before Secret Of Mine.  I first heard it on a Soul Supply LP circa 1988 so it was obviously played before then (Stafford?)

They are probably both the same value.

post-2216-0-13052400-1364227509_thumb.jp

Bit of a bargain there then by the looks of things..  :g:

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Is this the face of things to come or a one off ...?

Just won a record for $99 ..

Postal costs of $18.50 global express

Then import duty costs upfront of $24 .

Looks like they are calculating the customs and I'm paying it upfront to avoid it being held in UK depot ?

Social source share

• 9 months later...

Hi Folks,

I think this affects buyers and sellers in different ways and the outcome is no one system that works for everyone down the chain.

I buy and sell vinyl on ebay as a collector  (US site but I post from here in Australia) and list everything at $5 start price and postage is $8 first 45, $2 all others.

I've tried to help out the buyers in the past with customs declarations that will reduce their costs but twice in the last 6 months I've been burned and it cost me thousands of dollars.

One parcel arrived with record in pieces, the other never showed up (as far as I'm led to believe, and I have no evidence to the contrary).

However both buyers then chased paypal for a refund and as I had helped them out with no insurance costs and low customs declarations, I had no cover and ended up losing over $1800.

As a seller, how do you protect yourself against that without applying proper insurance to expensive items?

The short answer is that I can't. I know the big dealers can probably write these losses off but I'm just a personal collector who sells records when I'm skint and losing that money really hurts!

So I now have to charge insurance with all my expensive tracks and declare the full sale value on the customs form to get cover.

I appreciate that this will reduce the number of people that will be willing to purchase from me but I don't see that I have an option.

It's certainly sucked the life out of collecting from both the buyer and seller's points of view..

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!