Who Is Behind All These Reissues? Please Tell Me So I Can Shove

dthedrug

Always hear that reissues are killing real soul clubs. Two things here: Surely real soul clubs are those with an original vinyl only policy, at least by the standards that those who speak in such terms would have it. Hence other people playing reissues in a different venue, to a different crowd, cannot damage real soul clubs. It's an entirely different market, a different audience.

Unless... the audience for real soul clubs are leaving en masse, to hear other DJs play reissues in other kinds of venues with other kinds of crowds. I would find that hard to believe, but if somehow it were the case then the defence for original vinyl wouldn't even be resonating with your audience, in which case you should probably start to recognize it for what it is: an esoteric collector kink which you can enjoy and indulge in but which is not really a firm basis for a world view. That much is made clear by all the contradictions and inconsistencies which emerge in people's arguments about them. 

I say this as someone who continues to collect and DJ originals. Because I like them. I'm passionate about music and like collecting the old records. I'm also involved in making reissues, and the two things are linked. I try and make records that I personally see some value in, because I like old music and I like records. I strive to make new records with an echo of the old ones I like, not just in the music, obviously, but in the way they look and feel. I'm not always happy with how they turn out and always want to make them better. Might sound weird to some people, but I do take a level of pride in the making of them. Anyway, if people are DJing reissues, then I can't see it as a bad thing. There's far too little decent music around in the mainstream to be upset that somewhere someone might be playing a good song to people. Is it harming my own clubs and personal choice of DJing with original vinyl - categorically no. 

People often talk of people only doing reissues because they're greedy. This might indeed be a motivation for some people. But ironically, most originals were made by record companies with zero interest in the music and artists. I would say the majority of those involved with the reissues, and even the boots, are more passionate about the music than the majority of 60s label owners. The artists are often getting a better royalty rate too. Just a minor issue, but felt it worth nothing. There's often a lot of hand-wringing and moralizing in the arguments of those who rage against reissues etc. And a lot of hypocrisy too.

Great answer.

Sadly noone is reading it and off we go into OVO or formats for home playing, again and again. Bill Murray must be due a post soon

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Sorry, Pete beat me to it.  Digital vs Analogue, CDs vs Vinyl, a completely different argument.

Sorry, I am speaking for the majority, not two individuals. If the majority don't give a toss

then let them get cd's, it isn't an argument, it's an opinionated debate.

Personally, I am an avid original vinyl collector, so how folk choose to listen to tunes

is up to them

Social source share

I don't understand why the starter of this thread got so mad, it's a ridiculous argument, folk should just enjoy listening to the music, doesn't matter what it's on, if you want to spend your hard earned for the enjoyment of knowing its a rare disc, cool, I do, but I also like certain re issues bootlegs, reminds me of when I had no cash and that's all I could afford, in fact I get more enjoyment spinning those that I do the originals that I have....

Think the starter should look to be positive.. It's fun, you will like it...

It's all good...

Malc

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I do find all those "look alike" & "ready to wear" overflowing the market boring, unimaginative and SO not sexy 45s. They all are allready proved dance floor favourites. Don't expect a surprise. I've seen them in "young" or "new" (not so young) DJs boxes and then sound pretty boring played out loud like it could have come from some bad "northern soul" compilations for "your home party". I started dipping in that "northern soul" thing buying Kent compilations to discover those sounds and have found it very educational for both the ear and the brain. They were thematical, informative and varied. Those reissue 45 are nothing like that. Now I have nothing against reissues as long as they are intresting and not only for collectors, but for everyone into music.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Great answer.

Sadly noone is reading it and off we go into OVO or formats for home playing, again and again. Bill Murray must be due a post soon

I'm reading the quote - again, Jocko. "different scene,different market"..and that has been said times many on here.Groundhog day indeed.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

And I've said this a hundred times before. I can tell the difference between original vinyl and most re issues/boots. The sound quality is very different. Mind you, with the crap sound systems that most use, you would be hard pressed to notice the difference.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

And I've said this a hundred times before. I can tell the difference between original vinyl and most re issues/boots. The sound quality is very different. Mind you, with the crap sound systems that most use, you would be hard pressed to notice the difference.

Technics decks, Trackmaster stylus, Allen & heath mixer and Powered Yamaha speakers...never play on shite ;)

• Helpful 1
Social source share

There isnt any, its a myth.....its mostly people playing them at thier local fancy dress night...if you want the sound but cant afford it, then either travel to hear a DJ who has the original or download an MP3...

Unless its a legitimate release of a previously unissued track, then I really cant see the point....

Russ

Hear hear Russ, but go careful, I nearly got my head chopped off for saying similar... ha ha

• Helpful 3
Social source share

I play an OVO night in Warrington, which means absolutely feck all to 97% of the people I play to....actually I'll not lie I've just bought a Bobby Valentin boot which I intend to play in the bar, after being reminded of it on the Oddfellows thread but that's about it for boots?

OVO is your choice, you do it for you.

There are young lads that play in the same bar that have it in them too, they listen for themselves to stuff they haven't heard and purchase original vinyl....their circle of friends aren't going to give them any awards for buying orig vinyl....but they do..which is great.

There are other lads in town that buy boots/represses etc and have no qualms About playing them....and neither have I....it's their choice and as I say 97% of the people they play to couldn't give a toss.

Stop asking for plaudits for being cool enough to buy original vinyl...we all know the script, it should be about your values, no one else's...and anyway virtually no one in the real world gives a flying feck.

Depends where you play Barry.If the payers don't care then Carry On.If you're playing to collectors etc,then yes,do it for yourself,but do it for them as well.I always feel i owe it to them...yes i know its lame......Viva la, and all that bllx.....

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Depends where you play Barry.If the payers don't care then Carry On.If you're playing to collectors etc,then yes,do it for yourself,but do it for them as well.I always feel i owe it to them...yes i know its lame......Viva la, and all that bllx.....

You don't owe it to them, you just couldn't for shame do anything else Kev haha ;)

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Barry, you can have the most expensive state of the art equipment to play your tunes onbut does it enhance the sound quality... Nah!We are talkin cheaply made mono tunes here, all you get from top notch gear is clearer "crackles"

You don't know what you're talking about.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Wasn't this thread more about legitimacy of reissues, and relevance to the artist, or am I just being hopeful of what could be a really interesting discussion?

If Fryer could stop making millions from his 600 people a week and spend some time explaining the business behind, not figures obviously, and the process of getting these reissues done, people might be genuinely engaged and more likely to buy.

Glad to say for anyone popping in, the current Jazzman staff are much friendlier and much more customer focused these days. :D  :D

Social source share

Who is this directed at? The converted soul crowd? Because to the wider public, the notion that you should only be allowed to dance and enjoy a certain song in a public space if you've travelled 100s of miles to experience a collector playing the original would seem alien, and frankly quite absurd in the modern world. And that's really the problem with a lot of these arguments - a handful of people within a given scene trying to set the terms by which certain pieces of music can acceptably be enjoyed, owned or danced to. As if soul music is subject to entirely different rules and constraints as all other kinds of music, because, well, you say so.

Doing my own night, my main concern is making the music as good as it can be, in my opinion. I find it difficult to think that a more casual DJ who only plays reissues will be able to present the music in the same way as me and the people I choose to play with, so I don't feel at all threatened, and neither should anyone else so long as they are confident that they are doing the same. If numbers are low at my night, it isn't because someone down the road is playing the same stuff off boots, it's just because there isn't really that much general interest in this great old music, as hard as some of us try to promote it.

Exactly. It's having the nous to present music to its best.

Well in.

Edited by Barry
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

. As if soul music is subject to entirely different rules and constraints as all other kinds of music, because, well, you say so. 

Well actually authentic Northern do's are , or should be! Sorry, everything else I like the cut of your jib.

I thought you were actually agreeing with the above.

Edited by jocko
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Well actually authentic Northern do's are , or should be! Sorry, everything else I like the cut of your jib.

I thought you were actually agreeing with the above.

Yep, and that's fine for Northern do's, that was my point really. They can and will keep upholding the traditions of that scene, cos that's what scenes do. Don't expect the rest of the world to respect or even recognise these rules though, and don't get angry when they don't. Makes no sense. 

Social source share

I think there is a growing load of guys in bars also Russ as highighted  by a couple of people nothing to do with the Oldies scene. In most cases, as the Soulville example mentioned, they are just Keb Darge tribute nights and the majority will be dancing to, and therefore the dj playing, the next cool thing next season. In most cases here its more about being a DJ, and sometimes earning decent money,  than it is about the music.

I do think in recent years some of these have become the guys Mace talks about and are now doing there own thing, still in trendy bars, still playing to younger trendy people, and they seem to be sticking to it, but mostly in Cities, London, Manchester, and most of these djs seem to also visit all nighters, and genuinely be into the music, but I supect very few of their paying punters do.

The first lot are likely to buy the reissues, the second lot not. I really don't think this is whats killing the niter scene at all, which is surely a more relevant concern. From the playlists I read on here the majority are quite frankly unbelievable eye crushinginly boring and no imagination, despite being all originals. And theres the rub. Lets stop talking about format and talking about the music, the genuinely exciting new music and then I suspect you will find format becomes irrelevant. I have always thought if people are scared someone will play a boot they are following the wrong DJ's.

All from my gin soaked armchair with no liklihood of going out this century so happy to be told to shut up and mind my own business! :D

Ah, you've hit on there Jocko... "Armchair", there are too many armchair critics that come on this forum

that will not sample venues like Lifeline, Gloucester or Burnley where it is cutting edge in-your-face

quality original soul... apologies to other promoters/attendee's if iv'e left you out...

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Wasn't this thread more about legitimacy of reissues, and relevance to the artist, or am I just being hopeful of what could be a really interesting discussion?

If Fryer could stop making millions from his 600 people a week and spend some time explaining the business behind, not figures obviously, and the process of getting these reissues done, people might be genuinely engaged and more likely to buy.

Glad to say for anyone popping in, the current Jazzman staff are much friendlier and much more customer focused these days. :D  :D

The point I made earlier Jocko in a way - get the 45 buying public (be they young or old) interested in buying the legal re-issues and un-issued material that people like Dave Welding et al are putting out. Much better to see people buying an Outta-Site 45 than a blank crappy press off eBay. Let's at least try, as you say, to engage the 45 buying public to go down the legitimate route rather than the illegitimate one. 

Social source share

Are we discussing reissues of established Northern/Rare Soul 45s or the whole broad spectrum of soul...inc R&B/instros/Rockin' Blues etc. ?

I believed the thread to be about the former.....I'm well aware of club nights successfully catering for a younger audience in regards the latter...

The Northern 45 reissues I believed we were discussing, are typically sold to the ageing target audience I mentioned......I can't honestly see much of that material getting played in the type of clubs mentioned....or maybe I'm wrong?

Social source share

Yep, and that's fine for Northern do's, that was my point really. They can and will keep upholding the traditions of that scene, cos that's what scenes do. Don't expect the rest of the world to respect or even recognise these rules though, and don't get angry when they don't. Makes no sense. 

Okay we are back to being 100% on side then!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Are we discussing reissues of established Northern/Rare Soul 45s or the whole broad spectrum of soul...inc R&B/instros/Rockin' Blues etc. ?

I believed the thread to be about the former.....I'm well aware of club nights successfully catering for a younger audience in regards the latter...

The Northern 45 reissues I believed we were discussing, are typically sold to the ageing target audience I mentioned......I can't honestly see much of that material getting played in the type of clubs mentioned....or maybe I'm wrong?

Yes, fair point Mace, I'll scuttle off then...

Social source share

Ah, you've hit on there Jocko... "Armchair", there are too many armchair critics that come on this forum

that will not sample venues like Lifeline, Gloucester or Burnley where it is cutting edge in-your-face

quality original soul... apologies to other promoters/attendee's if iv'e left you out...

Guilty as charged. I am 100% retired.

I do feel I can say I have a rather informed opinion however, and I have said it before the people like you who just scream OVO at every thing are missing the point, I have always felt if you have to ask you actually don't get it. And therefore going to these venues WTF would you even care about whats getting played at Tommy's tea dance round the corner.

Worry more about the quality of the music and why less people are supporing the quality venues and the rest goes away. Interesting how you missed these points out.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

I love my original 45s, but I'm thrilled that Outta Sight has reissued 45s like Gwen Owens or Larry Clinton.  Otherwise, I could never own them, and even if I could, there are simply not enough originals to go around.

Perhaps someone will pick up a reissue 45, get the collecting bug and start collecting originals and start DJing.  Not a bad thing.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

All this ovo thing is reasonably recent, it seems to be as people have got older, with a bit more money. early all nighters 60s/70s all played boots and emidiscs, didnt matter then, why is it so important now? I collect vinyl, and original vinyl at that, though I do have a few reissues.

Social source share

Guilty as charged. I am 100% retired.

I do feel I can say I have a rather informed opinion however, and I have said it before the people like you who just scream OVO at every thing are missing the point, I have always felt if you have to ask you actually don't get it. And therefore going to these venues WTF would you even care about whats getting played at Tommy's tea dance round the corner.

Worry more about the quality of the music and why less people are supporing the quality venues and the rest goes away. Interesting how you missed these points out.

I'm sad now Jocko cos' you are sad. Less people are supporting "BECAUSE THERE ARE TOO MANY VENUES CLASHING"

all it's serving to do is put hard working genuine promoters/promotions on the scrap heap

• Helpful 1
Social source share

All this ovo thing is reasonably recent, it seems to be as people have got older, with a bit more money. early all nighters 60s/70s all played boots and emidiscs, didnt matter then, why is it so important now? I collect vinyl, and original vinyl at that, though I do have a few reissues.

It's so they can look down on the little people...

• Helpful 1
Social source share

The younger generation of soulies and mods that I am aware of seem to only want originals....

there is a whole world of people not attatched to any scene who just like hearing new music. that much is true. and more than the youngsters on all the scenes realted tot his music put together id wager.

one of my mates who was fairly high up in one of the music majors and the time and still collects soul once said to me that -

're issuing soul and funk tunes is the industry equivalent of w{{king off a bloke for a fiver in a pub car park'  

some of my pint landed from my mouth onto his shirt. a bold statement from an insider which some on here might agree with if they think about it. 

i think someone had just re issued a very rare funk tune he had  and he was a bit raw

however you view it and however far down the music food chain you think this is, there is a demand from normal people, especially if the tune has been sampled as in this case. 

Social source share

I think its great that companies are still taking their time to put out reissues it shows our music still going strong and still has a healthy following  after all these years. Not everyone who buys these reissues is a wanna be dj more like someone who just prefers vinyl to digital. As for the question asked by the topic starter going by the price originals fetch his fears about reissues devaluing his collection are unfounded.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

there is a whole world of people not attatched to any scene who just like hearing new music. that much is true. and more than the youngsters on all the scenes realted tot his music put together id wager.

one of my mates who was fairly high up in one of the music majors and the time and still collects soul once said to me that -

're issuing soul and funk tunes is the industry equivalent of w{{king off a bloke for a fiver in a pub car park'  

some of my pint landed from my mouth onto his shirt. a bold statement from an insider which some on here might agree with if they think about it. 

i think someone had just re issued a very rare funk tune he had  and he was a bit raw

however you view it and however far down the music food chain you think this is, there is a demand from normal people, especially if the tune has been sampled as in this case. 

that's very true , here we are talking about ltd runs of reissues I was talking to a fella at a record fair in Leicester some time back who was telling me that some of the Bowie , joy division , motorhead and the likes of pink Floyd bootlegs are done in runs of up to a quarter of a million of each release , and are normally crap recordings from concerts.

Social source share

that's very true , here we are talking about ltd runs of reissues I was talking to a fella at a record fair in Leicester some time back who was telling me that some of the Bowie , joy division , motorhead and the likes of pink Floyd bootlegs are done in runs of up to a quarter of a million of each release , and are normally crap recordings from concerts.

OK well I can tell you from 1st hand experience that - and I'm talking vinyl here not cd's - up until the cd age, Bowie vinyl bootlegs were done in quantities of 100 to 1000 on a first run, then they would be done as and when required.  The majority had runs of less than 500 copies.  I supplied tapes for at least half a dozen and none were done in quantities of more than 500.  I even sat and hand numbered certain ones!

Social source share

There are also people with families to look after who spent half their life already going to places like this and it's time to give it a rest and grow up.

Peter, I have already acknowledged you in a previous thread that it depends on your circumstances if you can get out there!!!

As for giving it a rest, no way. As far as growing up I think some folk would find that a little insulting.

Most of us have had kids and when yours have grown then it "may" re-activate your enthusiasm

Social source share

It's so they can look down on the little people...

Just to expand upon this.  Back in the old days, if someone had an original it would be admired, but if I'd got the same record as a bootleg, I wouldn't have the p*sss ripped out of me or told I couldn't play it.  If I went somewhere today with a box of pressings, I'd be shunned by the collectors of original records, not because of who I am, but because of what I'm carrying...yet if I had them all on original, I'd be invited to chat and become a member of the top people's club.

I don't like this elitism and never have.  Outasite records - I've had nost of those on original, I sold the original and now have Outasite copies, so what?  Does that make me inferior to everyone else now?

Edited by Pete S
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

OK well I can tell you from 1st hand experience that - and I'm talking vinyl here not cd's - up until the cd age, Bowie vinyl bootlegs were done in quantities of 100 to 1000 on a first run, then they would be done as and when required.  The majority had runs of less than 500 copies.  I supplied tapes for at least half a dozen and none were done in quantities of more than 500.  I even sat and hand numbered certain ones!

Which one's were these Pete ? as in the seventy's and late eighty's I saw bowie and pistols and Costellos all over Europe at the same time thing's like no future U.k at very bazare in Leicester in maybe 25 box's then saw same amount in paris 2 day's later then even saw them in Jersey the next week . there were massive amounts of Bowie , lowe , Floyd , clash ect all over market stalls in both Amsterdam and Rotterdam including Banshees Elephant fair ect , these white label things were all over Europe any big band or artist you like I even saw them in a shop in Inverness .I saw a 100 of the three Devo bootlegs and 100 0f both Lou Reed and Velvet underground and a massive amount of Iggy Pop stuff. so if that were thr few I saw where else ? I walked into an underground shop in Dussledorf and saw loads of Tangerine dream alternative cuts of the Tangram album on ten inch white label bootlegs.

Social source share

Peter, I have already acknowledged you in a previous thread that it depends on your circumstances if you can get out there!!!

As for giving it a rest, no way. As far as growing up I think some folk would find that a little insulting.

Most of us have had kids and when yours have grown then it "may" re-activate your enthusiasm

And some of us never had kids, far preferring to keep going out every weekend and not make trivial excuses for giving up during the "dark days", until we gave up because of boredom.

But sure you get the picture, different strokes and that.

PS Forgot the smilie so you don't worry about me being sad. :D

Edited by jocko
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Which one's were these Pete ? as in the seventy's and late eighty's I saw bowie and pistols and Costellos all over Europe at the same time thing's like no future U.k at very bazare in Leicester in maybe 25 box's then saw same amount in paris 2 day's later then even saw them in Jersey the next week . there were massive amounts of Bowie , lowe , Floyd , clash ect all over market stalls in both Amsterdam and Rotterdam including Banshees Elephant fair ect , these white label things were all over Europe any big band or artist you like I even saw them in a shop in Inverness .I saw a 100 of the three Devo bootlegs and 100 0f both Lou Reed and Velvet underground and a massive amount of Iggy Pop stuff. so if that were thr few I saw where else ? I walked into an underground shop in Dussledorf and saw loads of Tangerine dream alternative cuts of the Tangram album on ten inch white label bootlegs.

We did mainly 45's, Shadowman EP, Thats A Promise 45, several Italian colour vinyl ones came from us, I used to have the most fantastic sources back then, never manufactured anything as never had the money but was able to supply loads of first generation tapes.  I am going back a long time now though, peaked around 1986 I'd say.  I used to run a Bowie magazine just dealing with the underground stuff, someone lent me a full set recently and I can't believe what I knew and what I had back then.  My ex wife got everything.

Social source share

I think there are 7 differing discussions going on, including this one!

Social source share