Songs That Really Pull At Your Heart Strings . . .

Guest MBarrett

• Replies 555
  • Views 34k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Guest MBarrett

Otis blue. Now that's a album. Steve

I remember some time early 90's having a business meal with a group of people in a fairly MOR restaurant. And from nowhere they played both sides of Otis Blue.

I was nearly choking on my food.

I was wanting to say "Do you know this is?" "Do you know how important this album is?". But as usual it was "Mark, don't go there!"

We all know that feeling. :D

Social source share

Guest Dave Ward

I don't know why, but these two get me every time and have done for decades, I'm not remembering sadness, or revisiting bad memories, I just cry like a baby, (If I'm on my own): 'Eddie Holman - I love You' - abc. 'Moses Smith - The Girl Across the Street' - Dionne.

Edited by Dave Ward
Social source share

If we're talking about stuff that makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.......Levi Stubbs (RIP)......acapella. What a voice this guy had. Had the privilege of meeting Levi and the rest of the Four Tops backstage at Blighty's in Farnworth, way back in 1973. Still got there autographs..... :thumbsup:

Social source share

This could go on forever for me.

This is possibly one of the greatest, most exquisite love songs ever sung IMO. It takes me back to a shared Christmas present me and my bro David got one year when we were young, on the 'Forever Gold' LP that became a major starting point for me on a road going away from Northern soul and discovering other genres of soul. It's a tune that just chokes me up with it's beauty, and it contains the line "your a positive motivating force within my life". Can't get better than that......or can it?

Absolutely love some of the Isley's newer stuff.....sexiest tunes ever. Ron Isley was such an under-rated singer.....

Social source share

Great thread guys & gals. My greatest gut wrencher is   Linda Jones - Not On The Outside   outrageous emotion.

The woman HURTS.

Other favourites -

JJ Barnes - Gotta Get Rid Of You

Margie Alexander - Keep On Searching

Independents - Leaving Me

Jennifer Holiday - I'm Telling You I'm Not Going

O'Jays - Loving You

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

A classic and as such quite a few good versions of it but I'll stick with Brook Benton

Just so utterly beautiful

Also another Georgia

Bobby Adams - Go On Back To Georgia

Social source share

Guest MBarrett

Here's one from my youth. Used to be played every night at 11 o'clock by Johnnie Walker on Radio Caroline. The one off the Essex coast.

I must have been about 14 or 15 years old.

I can't tell you how this used to make my heart ache for the latest girl at school that I fancied :wub: - but didn't have the bottle to ask out!! :D

https://youtu.be/a2HOsK5PhK0

Social source share

Dave Turner, on 09 Feb 2014 - 9:00 PM, said:

A classic and as such quite a few good versions of it but I'll stick with Brook Benton

Just so utterly beautiful

Evening my friend.

I was playing this the other night. Your description is spot on - absolutely beautiful.

I send you my best Sir.

Peter

:thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Evening my friend.

I was playing this the other night. Your description is spot on - absolutely beautiful.

I send you my best Sir.

Peter

Thank you mate, and my very best to you also

and to anyone else who thumbs up my posts   :lol:

Social source share

Dave Turner, on 09 Feb 2014 - 9:00 PM, said:

I bought one of Randy Crawford's albums for this track - she has quite a unique voice and didn't do a bad job of this. Obviously changed chest to breast! :)

https://youtu.be/BjwirEMtLJI

Peter

Edited by Peter99
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Okay another one then, a bit schmaltzy maybe, but it blows me away every time

Soul Children Poem on the Schoolhouse Door

Schmaltzy?

A word so inappropriate for this track - you are hereby condemned to listen to "Wrong side of town" for an indeterminate period, Jock.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Always puzzled me how this can be the same man singing as on the other side, 2 great different  sides, but this is the one

Rosey Jones-Think about it baby

New on me Kev, super stuff and yup deffo THE SIDE mate

Social source share

When I close my eyes and listen to this my head, body, arms & legs feel like they're melting into a puddle on the floor. :D

"I did you wrong

My heart went out to play

But in the game I lost you

What a price to pay

I'm crying . . . . . . "

Smokey certainly takes some beating....here's another - The Love I Saw In You Was Just A Mirage.....

https://youtu.be/kPG6LsEFTKA

And how about this duet with Aretha.....Ooo Baby Baby.....

https://youtu.be/Xy75z0trlDk

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Always puzzled me how this can be the same man singing as on the other side, 2 great different  sides, but this is the one

Rosey Jones-Think about it baby

Kev

Best thread on here for a long time by a country mile 

Same backing used on Richie Cee "Games Too Cold Blues" on Concept. Every reason to believe there are other uses of this track too by other artists as was the Fioravanti/Davis business model. 

Edited by garethx
Social source share

Same backing used on Richie Cee "Games Too Cold Blues" on Concept. Every reason to believe there are other uses of this track too by other artists as was the Fioravanti/Davis business model. 

Was looking to post that Gareth, there is no clip for it though, I couldn't find it anyway, both fantastic records, maybe Richie just pips it

Kev

Social source share

It's Walter again ... take your pick from 1965 Okeh or the 1976 Chi-Sound recut.

Me, I'm not fussed ... just a wonderful record either way. I do listen to the 1976 cut the most though

1965 Okeh

1976 Chi-Sound

https://youtu.be/3CPy7iZ5AWI

It's very interesting to compare the two versions. Production is obviously going to be more sophisticated on the later recording but I think the main difference is the phrasing of the song which shows how much he had matured as a singer.

He's one of my favourite singers of all time and it was such a tragedy that he died in his prime over 30 years ago at the age of 45.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!