Songs That Really Pull At Your Heart Strings . . .

Guest MBarrett

SWIFTY, on 07 Feb 2014 - 8:57 PM, said:

Hope you don't mind Dave but this immediately sprung to mind , got the LP in Mabo Market for about 50p lol !

JAY BLACKFOOT - TAXI

Love it !

P.s. I'ts about the right speed for me to dance to now  :yes:

Dave Turner, on 07 Feb 2014 - 9:02 PM, said:

Mabbo Market  .......... bastard  :D

Before he got barred - for being from the hills.

:wicked:

Peter

:D

• Helpful 1
Social source share

• Replies 555
  • Views 34.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Guest Dave Turner

A couple of Ann Sexton's that grip me.

Her first outing as a 17 year old fronting up Elijah & the Ebonies "I Confess"

and "I Want To Be Loved" from her "In The Beginning" LP and also got a 45 release on Monument

Yup, love 'em both

Social source share

Indeed he has and this is one of my favourites too. I think he wrote it about one of his brothers.

Very melancholy. Lovely pick.

Peter

:thumbsup:

You're right - it was about his brother Harry according to Wikipedia:

"Harry Hippie" is a 1972 song written by Jim Ford, who wrote it for singer Bobby Womack as a dedication to his brother, bass guitarist Harry Womack, that became a top ten R&B hit for Womack when issued as a single in 1973 reaching number eight on the chart.

The song was loosely based on Bobby's brother's carefree behavior and was originally recorded as a funny tribute to his brother, that turned tragic when Harry Womack was killed by his girlfriend during a fight in 1974. Ever since, Bobby Womack has sung the song as a dedication to his fallen late brother.

Womack explains the story behind the song and its aftermath:

"Harry was the bass player and tenor for the brothers when we were the Valentinos. He lived a very carefree life. As a child he always said he wanted to live on an Indian reservation. We used to joke about it, but when we got older he was the same way. He always thought I wanted the materialistic things and I said, 'I just want to do my music. My music put me into that comfortable territory.' He didn't want the pressure. We used to laugh and joke about the song when I'd sing it. When he was brutally killed in my home, it was by a jealous girlfriend who he'd lived with for five years. She fought a lot, violence. And in our home it was considered to be worth less than a man to fight a woman, so he didn't fight back and she stabbed him to death. At the time I was in Seattle doing a gig and he was going to join me when we got back. Previously I had hired a new bass player because I felt it would help Harry's relationship with his spouse if he wasn't on the road. And that turned out to be very sour. He ended up losing his life behind it. At that time, "Harry Hippie" wasn't a joke anymore; I had lost a brother. I still do that song in his honor today."

–Bobby Womack 

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Another one that just makes my mood as black as the night in the Outer Hebrides, dark, despairing and little joy, apart from the sheer beauty in the performance when someone so troubled can just pour his whole worried world out in a song. Sheer talent

One of the greatest artists ever, really moved up into my top 3 this last 10 years, all of his songs seem to tell you of his troubles, with closer inspection of the lyrics hinting at the demons that sadly destroyed him. Whilst his genius shines through like a remote lighthouse in almost everything he did.

Just magnificent and only recently did I read the story that this is not a political song but was written for Donny by someone that saw his tortured soul. Just a magnificent feat to take this from someone and make it so your own.

Amazingly the most heart breaking part is not when he is singing its when the trumpet comes in at around 2 minutes, and the sadness just seems to seep out ever part of the speakers. Then comes Donny to take the 12 pieces of your heart and turn them into 30.

My second favourite recorded performance of all time.  

Buy his latest anthology, and turn the lights off and lie down. F***ng life changing. 

Great description Jock,  swapped my "Extensions" years ago, can't remember what for, but, I am going to get another thanks to your timely kick up the arse for me, great stuff indeed

Kev

Edited by kev cane
Social source share

Another heartfelt song about the despair of drug addiction by the great man, Gil Scott-Heron. This one was made her own by Esther Phillips who, sadly, knew about it only too well:

Oooomph. My No 1 favourite recorded performance of all time. Just aural pain. The lyrics so sharp they cut your veins open in sympathy.  

When she spits, To turn your sick soul inside out, she dies every performance. Definition of heartbreaking. Addiction explained for anyone who wants to understand. Gil wrote it from experience but she claims it, she sings it, she lives it, she died it. 

I love Esther Phillips unconditionally, and this performance should be played to anyone who wants to know what soul really is. I am off. Too much for a mid week night

• Helpful 2
Social source share

It wasn't Bobby that wrote it, it was Jim Ford who also wrote So Many Sides of You and others he recorded. I think it took on a lot more meaning when his brother died shortly after it being recorded Its still one of my biggest tear jerkers, I just love it, makes me feel very sad which sad songs, perversely, rarely do.  This one just kills me.  

We were obviously typing at same time Mr Link.

A monumental performance by the No 1 man in my world. Just seen him sing it live again the other week, and he struggled with this one sadly, having to be helped out, but he had one full chorus of it where he just soared for about 40 seconds and it just broke my heart. 

A bigger kick to the senses than 100% pure Russian vodka.

I stand corrected Sir! :D

I was being flippant.

Pedro.

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Forget the pricey one on Ole, this is the real deal, thanks Mr O'Connor for sharing this with me, many moons ago Icemen-How can I get over a fox like you

Kev

It's Gonna Take A Lot (To Bring Me Back Baby)

:ohmy:

Edited by Dave Turner
Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Yes mate, correction, its very good, but "Fox" for a lot cheaper, is the better one for me

Kev

Kev, check out the supposed Hendrix with the supposed Gloria Barnes vocals of "It's Gonna Take A Lot" ... uses the same backing as George Scott's "I'm A Fool For You"

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

There's black singers and then there are SOUL singers

Power of A Woman, Uptight Good Woman, Old Friend all great but this slays me ---

Spencer Wiggins - I Can't Be Satisfied (With A Piece Of Your Love)

Sing it like ya mean it

Social source share

There's black singers and then there are SOUL singers

Power of A Woman, Uptight Good Woman, Old Friend all great but this slays me ---

Spencer Wiggins - I Can't Be Satisfied (With A Piece Of Your Love)

Sing it like ya mean it

One of my all time favourites, the other side "Take time to love your woman" is really good too. I upgraded to a nice clean copy recently , a must have record.

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Adams's Apple wobbler for me as the story must have been so true for so many

Such utter despair

Doris Duke - I Don't Care Anymore ............................can't understand uploaders choice of pics but hey ho

Social source share

Mal, re Millie Jackson and being new to you.

Does this mean you've 'discovered' Caught Up and Still Caught Up?

As good as it gets as far as I'm concerned.

Am  I right in thinking for some reason they changed the running order of the tracks on the cd's, have them somewhere after foolishly giving away the albums to a mate ,?

Social source share

Am  I right in thinking for some reason they changed the running order of the tracks on the cd's, have them somewhere after foolishly giving away the albums to a mate ,?

Wouldn't know the answer to that without looking at the CD's.

The two albums are amongst my most prized pieces of vinyl and have stood the test ot time and plays that seriously must run into the '000's now.

Absolutely essential listening for anybody that regards themselves as a lover of soul music, whatever the genre or decade.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Sam Dees,

composed & arranged this one, not sure who wrote it, will browse sleeve notes later when I dig it out.  :thumbsup:

Well I love it.  :wink:

Definitely a Sam Dees written tune. And lovely it is too, from a fine LP. There is also a good version of it on the Queen in Waiting's Life LP

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Good shout Tony

Regina Belle - very under rated imo. She recorded some great songs and has an amazing voice.

Peter

Yes Peter, really love some of her stuff and what a voice,

love this sort of stuff & jean carne & anita baker & patti la belle & on & on I go.  :lol:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert