Soundtrack - Northern Soul The Film

14 x 7" box release date has been put back to 13 October!  :(

It's a bugger. The production deadlines for vinyl are getting crazy now. Everybody's manufacturing at the same facility and the plant is constantly revising the dates even when everything's been delivered on time to their original deadlines.

Of course, the 1,000,000 Beatles LPs which are currently in manufacture elsewhere hasn't helped either since that plant is full up so people are desperately switching to other plants. It's a mess.....

Ian D  :D

Social source share

It's a bugger. The production deadlines for vinyl are getting crazy now. Everybody's manufacturing at the same facility and the plant is constantly revising the dates even when everything's been delivered on time to their original deadlines.

Of course, the 1,000,000 Beatles LPs which are currently in manufacture elsewhere hasn't helped either since that plant is full up so people are desperately switching to other plants. It's a mess.....

Short of a nice big new pressing plant suddenly opening it's not looking like it is going to get a lot better any time soon either! 

Social source share

There's more than one pressing plant in Europe that people use Ian. One plant i'm using is turning things around in 5 weeks for me. I just turned a 4000 x 3 12" album for an American EDM artist in 4 weeks,  whilst the one you're referring to quoted 9 weeks for me.  There's new lines going in to double their capacity but I can't see that being active properly till summer of next year.

The Beatles re-presses from 2 years ago caused enough problems for all the European plants and there is a blessing in disguise that this new order is much smaller.

Social source share

There's more than one pressing plant in Europe that people use Ian. One plant i'm using is turning things around in 5 weeks for me. I just turned a 4000 x 3 12" album for an American EDM artist in 4 weeks,  whilst the one you're referring to quoted 9 weeks for me.  There's new lines going in to double their capacity but I can't see that being active properly till summer of next year.

The Beatles re-presses from 2 years ago caused enough problems for all the European plants and there is a blessing in disguise that this new order is much smaller.

Demon are locked into certain deals with certain plants, so whilst we generally get the quality we want at a price we want, it doesn't allow for much flexibility at times like this. As I point out most weeks, there are places where we can get a quicker turnaround but the production guys always tell me that the prices for those plants are beyond what they want to pay. It's a shame 'cos when I was running Simply Vinyl in the 90s it seemed we were spoilt for choice.....

However I am getting the same story from other people about the vinyl turnarounds right now. In fact a fellow Soul Source member was lamenting today about how he's being messed around at the moment and another guy is talking about suing a plant because they can't deliver his vinyl in time for a tour, so it's deffo getting nasty out there.....

Ian D :D  

Social source share

Demon are locked into certain deals with certain plants, so whilst we generally get the quality we want at a price we want, it doesn't allow for much flexibility at times like this. As I point out most weeks, there are places where we can get a quicker turnaround but the production guys always tell me that the prices for those plants are beyond what they want to pay. It's a shame 'cos when I was running Simply Vinyl in the 90s it seemed we were spoilt for choice.....

However I am getting the same story from other people about the vinyl turnarounds right now. In fact a fellow Soul Source member was lamenting today about how he's being messed around at the moment and another guy is talking about suing a plant because they can't deliver his vinyl in time for a tour, so it's deffo getting nasty out there.....

They can chuck out the orders all those 'lookalike reissues' for a start!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

They can chuck out the orders all those 'lookalike reissues' for a start!

I think they're at the bottom of a very long queue right now. My forthcoming Northern Soul: The Film 14 x 7" box set has booked the priority fast line and it'll still come out 4 weeks after the CD/Interview DVD version! We're lucky we're getting it out before the film! :)

Ian D :)

Social source share

Guest FrostyJak

Pleased to see The Tomangoes included so "Joe Public" can hear it :thumbsup:  

Propa sound loads of great memories   

Edited by FrostyJak
Social source share

Phew. What a week. I've had enough of London now. I'm heading up North tomorrow to get back to reality and de-pressurize from riding this bucking bronco. With a bit of luck I'll be in Wakey on Saturday, get paralytic, have a fight in the bullring and wake up Sunday morning in A&E. That's the plan.  :lol:

An extraordinary week. "Northern Soul: The Soundtrack" is looking exceptionally good and will be in the charts on Monday 22nd September - a mere 4 weeks away. Top 20 for sure, Top 10 maybe. Let's see. But it's definitely catching fire big time with the buyers. The enthusiasm is pretty fantastic from all areas - the big decisions on what will be on the shelves towards Christmas are made now and "Northern Soul" is looking very good indeed.

Also lots of excitement with the Film people. Momentum is gathering almost daily so I'm sure there'll be some announcements soon. Plus some FANTASTIC PR coming up too.

Also, the bonus Interview DVD with the release is just fantastic - James Lance's interview with Elaine is wonderful and almost had me sobbing lol and the Richard Searling interview with the footage of his his personal memorabilia is just fascinating and great.  I think anybody buying this package will totally get what Northern Soul is all about. Even though this is technically a 'mainstream' release, this is as good as it gets for me. And I didn't even compile it damn...... :lol:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Phew. What a week. I've had enough of London now. I'm heading up North tomorrow to get back to reality and de-pressurize from riding this bucking bronco. With a bit of luck I'll be in Wakey on Saturday, get paralytic, have a fight in the bullring and wake up Sunday morning in A&E. That's the plan.  :lol:

An extraordinary week. "Northern Soul: The Soundtrack" is looking exceptionally good and will be in the charts on Monday 22nd September - a mere 4 weeks away. Top 20 for sure, Top 10 maybe. Let's see. But it's definitely catching fire big time with the buyers. The enthusiasm is pretty fantastic from all areas - the big decisions on what will be on the shelves towards Christmas are made now and "Northern Soul" is looking very good indeed.

Also lots of excitement with the Film people. Momentum is gathering almost daily so I'm sure there'll be some announcements soon. Plus some FANTASTIC PR coming up too.

Also, the bonus Interview DVD with the release is just fantastic - James Lance's interview with Elaine is wonderful and almost had me sobbing lol and the Richard Searling interview with the footage of his his personal memorabilia is just fascinating and great.  I think anybody buying this package will totally get what Northern Soul is all about. Even though this is technically a 'mainstream' release, this is as good as it gets for me. And I didn't even compile it damn...... :lol:

Loving your updates and infectious enthusiasm, thanks!

Andrew

Social source share

Loving your updates and infectious enthusiasm, thanks!

Andrew

My enthusiasm is humbled by the 17 years of gestation that this film took for Elaine Constantine. Whichever way you look at it, it takes a huge amount of commitment and passion to get from an initial idea to a finished major film - a massive achievement in itself. Plus a very brave leap to go from being a top-level blue chip photographer in the fashion industry, to becoming a film director with a debut film that focuses on a 'cult' music scene with limited appeal.  I honestly don't know how she managed to do it. 

I was late to the party really. I actually didn't know Elaine personally but everything I was hearing about the projected film sent the right signals and obviously touched a nerve so I contacted her out of the blue a couple of years back and begged her to let me do the soundtrack before a frame of film was shot. Sometimes gut instinct is enough. 

Unbelievably, I still haven't seen the film. I'm kinda saving it. I wanna see it at both the London and Northern premiers along with everyone else. The footage and trailers I've seen are simply spellbinding and awesome. There's a very nitty-gritty and shocking trailer I've just viewed which blew my mind and which was the perfect combination of image and sound with the most manic part of Lou Pride's "I'm Com'un Home In The Morn'un" perfectly complimenting some seriously incredible (and x-rated) footage. Serious, serious stuff.

I just had to view the Interview DVD that comes with the 2CD package and James Lance's interview with Elaine is just pure gold. A fascinating interview which catches the passion of the project perfectly. Very very moving. And the in-depth Elaine Constantine/Richard Searling interview with the exclusive access to his memorabilia is just fantastic! Hooked me right to the end and I know this stuff!

Projects like this make it all worthwhile somehow. I hope 50,000 people will buy it and make their lives better. It they don't get it after this, they never will. 

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Why are they doing another Beatles promo, what anniversary is it this time?

Who needs an anniversary when they have a 1,000,000 unit pre-sell? 

They're doing 'em in Mono apparently. This figure represents the international demand for vinyl releases by the Beatles. This campaign alone represents one sixth of the total U.S. vinyl sales for last year. 

Personally I'm skeptical. Really? 1,000,000 Mono Beatles LPs? I didn't realise that many people still had record players!

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I'm finally getting to see the film tonight! It'll be a relief now that the various soundtrack formats are being manufactured and due for delivery anytime soon! 

Everything looking great for Monday 15/09/14, so I'm hoping we can expect a huge Top 20 chart entry on the 22/09/14. Fingers crossed! It's been Top 10 in all 3 Amazon charts for the last couple of months now, so we should see a big leap next week with all the activity that's happening now!

Social source share

Well finally got to see the finished film last night and it's tremendous! It's visually stunning and the impact of the music is undeniable. The dance-floor scenes @ Wigan made the hairs on the back of my neck tingle. Seriously. That was EXACTLY what it was like. Plus the way the music is mixed within the film makes an extraordinary impact. Had me hooked that's for sure. I recommend that people see it on the big screen for maximum effect. The most accurate depiction of the 70s Northern Soul scene without a shadow of a doubt. Go see it!

Edited by Ian Dewhirst
Social source share

:) .. yes mate seen that event on fb which is what made me look on the films page to see if its on down here in bris... soulboy was and there was an after/before party for that but the website for the cinema only shows listings upto the week before this films release .. so still don't know if it will be on the dvd or big screen for us

atb

dean

Social source share

Finished packages arrived today and we're very very happy. A superb package to spread awareness for the film and a very very classy package. We can't wait till these packages land across the country in 9 days time. A perfect lead-in to the film launch.

All looking good. Very very positive all round. It's definitely going to be interesting watching what happens over the next 6 weeks.

Social source share

Is anyone in the north west doing a film showing and after film do? 

I would have thought that organising some opening day screenings, maybe ticket only, and advertising them on here and FB would have created a buzz. You know give it sort of a premier feeling.

Just make sure it states on the tickets "NO FANCY DRESS" :wicked:  :D  

Social source share

Is anyone in the north west doing a film showing and after film do? 

I would have thought that organising some opening day screenings, maybe ticket only, and advertising them on here and FB would have created a buzz. You know give it sort of a premier feeling.

Just make sure it states on the tickets "NO FANCY DRESS" :wicked:  :D  

Yep, both the Northern and Southern premiers have been fixed I believe. Some pretty eminent people are coming along by all accounts. I'm sure the details will be released shortly. I'm looking forward to a 'lil bit of razzmatazz. Plus the fact that it'll be the best 100 minutes of music some of these people will ever hear! Should be fun.  :thumbsup:

I'll pass the "No Fancy Dress" command on to the powers that be and look forward to explaining to a roomful of mid 20s film superwomen executives exactly why there shouldn't be anyone allowed in with oxford bags, sports bags, talcum powder, unduly exaggerated 'Northern Soul' tatoos etc, etc. :lol: 

I should probably mention the O.V.O. thing too I guess........... :g: 

Social source share

Yep, both the Northern and Southern premiers have been fixed I believe. Some pretty eminent people are coming along by all accounts. I'm sure the details will be released shortly. I'm looking forward to a 'lil bit of razzmatazz. Plus the fact that it'll be the best 100 minutes of music some of these people will ever hear! Should be fun.  :thumbsup:

I'll pass the "No Fancy Dress" command on to the powers that be and look forward to explaining to a roomful of mid 20s film superwomen executives exactly why there shouldn't be anyone allowed in with oxford bags, sports bags, talcum powder, unduly exaggerated 'Northern Soul' tatoos etc, etc. :lol:

I should probably mention the O.V.O. thing too I guess........... :g:

Are there none that us plebs can attend Ian?

Social source share

Social source share

Also available from good independent Record and cd shops, including

Head Belfast

Head Bristol

Head Bromley

Head Leamington Spa

Head Warrington

and from Mid October Head Blackburn

And yes I do work for Head :)

Thanks

Geoff

Social source share

Have you got a link to buy from Head mail order Geoff ?

Hi Dave

We are currently in the process of setting up an online buying facility, you can call any of the shops and reserve a copy (to pick up in-store) or pre -order and we will post out for actual cost of postage.

all shops have a face book page and have their phone details on their page

just type in head  then store name, any problems just let me know and I can give you the phone number for any of the stores.

We also stock all Ace new releases cd and vinyl

right enough of plugging the shops :)

thanks

Geoff

Social source share

Also available from good independent Record and cd shops, including

Head Belfast

Head Bristol

Head Bromley

Head Leamington Spa

Head Warrington

and from Mid October Head Blackburn

And yes I do work for Head :)

Thanks

Geoff

Hi Geoff,

Regards to Gordon! You guys should clean-up with this package I hope. Looking at a Top 20 Compilation Chart entry minimum on the 22/09/14!  :D

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

:) .. yes mate seen that event on fb which is what made me look on the films page to see if its on down here in bris... soulboy was and there was an after/before party for that but the website for the cinema only shows listings upto the week before this films release .. so still don't know if it will be on the dvd or big screen for us

atb

dean

Hi Dean

According to google it is on at Cinema De lux. 4th link's info on this link.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Northern+Soul+the+movie+Cardiff&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-gb:IE-SearchBox&ie=&oe=&gfe_rd=cr&ei=heoOVIGrPNeFaMCIgrgL&gws_rd=ssl

This link says it is also on at

https://www.showcasecinemas.co.uk/films/northern-soul

Bluewater

Bristol Du Lux

Cardiff

Coventry

Derby Du Lux

Dudley

Glasgow

Leeds

Leicester Du Lux

Nottinghham

Paisley

Peterborough

Reading

Teeside.

Social source share

Hi Dean

According to google it is on at Cinema De lux. 4th link's info on this link.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Northern+Soul+the+movie+Cardiff&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-gb:IE-SearchBox&ie=&oe=&gfe_rd=cr&ei=heoOVIGrPNeFaMCIgrgL&gws_rd=ssl

This link says it is also on at

https://www.showcasecinemas.co.uk/films/northern-soul

Bluewater

Bristol Du Lux

Cardiff

Coventry

Derby Du Lux

Dudley

Glasgow

Leeds

Leicester Du Lux

Nottinghham

Paisley

Peterborough

Reading

Teeside.

Aaarrrggghhhh.........same weekend as Southport Weekender!!  I was hoping to watch this in the cinema but the link seems to suggest it's only on one night in Leicester, Cov etc.......Saturday 18 October.  Is that it?  Any other dates?  Is there a complete listing anywhere?

Cheers,

Mark R

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Aaarrrggghhhh.........same weekend as Southport Weekender!!  I was hoping to watch this in the cinema but the link seems to suggest it's only on one night in Leicester, Cov etc.......Saturday 18 October.  Is that it?  Any other dates?  Is there a complete listing anywhere?

Cheers,

Mark R

I'm in London that weekend as a band I used to work for have reformed for 2 nights only. :(

Social source share

Aaarrrggghhhh.........same weekend as Southport Weekender!! I was hoping to watch this in the cinema but the link seems to suggest it's only on one night in Leicester, Cov etc.......Saturday 18 October. Is that it? Any other dates? Is there a complete listing anywhere?

Cheers,

Mark R

didn't think cov had a cinema where is it?
Social source share

Little confused .. 

Maybe its me being dim ... ( has been know and its the age thing creeping in ) 

The vinyl set ... on Amazon ..its £82.99  ..

on the MyPlaydirect  its £59.99 ...

and then there's two sellers on eBay that are selling them at £129 and £139 ... and have sold copies already .. :()

Same set .. :) 

Wish id have got one of the 200 limited editions now :)     

Social source share

Little confused .. 

Maybe its me being dim ... ( has been know and its the age thing creeping in ) 

The vinyl set ... on Amazon ..its £82.99  ..

on the MyPlaydirect  its £59.99 ...

and then there's two sellers on eBay that are selling them at £129 and £139 ... and have sold copies already .. :()

Same set .. :)

Wish id have got one of the 200 limited editions now :)     

Well that's impossible 'cos the vinyl hasn't been delivered yet! It's still in manufacture so someone, somewhere's telling porkies! 

Social source share

Does happen Ian ..no doubt :)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Various-Northern-Soul-The-Film-Soundtrack-2014-7-Vinyl-Box-Set-NEW-/331295294173?pt=UK_Records&hash=item4d22bd02dd

this seller has it at £129 with a postage charge and has it as sold / ordered 2

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Northern-Soul-The-Film-Soundtrack-7-Vinyl-Edition-Pre-Order-14x7-Vinyl-/121397654698?pt=UK_Records&hash=item1c43dd34aa

This seller has it at £134 .99 with free postage and 1 sold / ordered 

or maybe trying to drum up interest by showing items as sold :)

Either way ..already ordered my vinyl ..and would like to say a big thanks to you and everyone that has worked tirelessly in getting this whole project done and brought to market ..  great job by all !!  

Edited by stevegods
Social source share

Wow, they're even pre-selling on e-bay these days! I have to hand it to 'em for sheer enterprise. I notice that both items are carefully worded, which is fair enough:-

"NEW

PRE ORDER ITEM - DUE FOR RELEASE WEEK COMMENCING 15th SEPTEMBER 2014  - WILL BE DISPATCHED AS SOON AS POSSIBLE ON RELEASE AND ON RECEIPT FROM SUPPLIERS

Please note that release dates are occasionally subject to alteration"

and

"This item is a Pre Order released on the 13th of October 2014. Orders will be dispatched on/after this date".

I guess it's a good sign........

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!