Soundtrack - Northern Soul The Film

Ive not seen the film yet so I am a bit sceptical  and in some respects quite pre critical as I am expecting the film to cover besides whats in the trailers as at least some of the following:

The travelling from Home to venues and back and the conversations had!

The drug scene and its impact on peoples lives - Including the deaths and horror stories

The outside the scene issues involving teenage V parents views/ work colleague lack of understanding an

The social anthropogic views of individuals who are part of the closed community - The isolation of an individual within local communities

The DJ speak

The key players in providing the sounds

If it covers these areas + Then I for one will look forward to seeing it.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Ive not seen the film yet so I am a bit sceptical  and in some respects quite pre critical as I am expecting the film to cover besides whats in the trailers as at least some of the following:

The drug scene and its impact on peoples lives - Including the deaths and horror stories

The outside the scene issues involving teenage V parents views/ work colleague lack of understanding an

The social anthropogic views of individuals who are part of the closed community - The isolation of an individual within local communities

The DJ speak

Anything else you want to add Steve? I'll send your recommendations to the guys @ Universal Pictures just so they know what they're getting into!  :lol:

Glad you're feeling better. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Ian D  :D

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Oh, before I forget, please bear in mind that CD1 is the Soundtrack and CD2 is Further Inspiration from Elaine Constantine. We suggested her doing a bonus CD of other records that have influenced her and I'm glad we did!

CD1: Northern Soul: The Soundtrack

1. Right Track - Billy Butler                                          
  2. Back Street - Edwin Starr                                        
  3. Soul Time - Shirley Ellis                                         
  4. I Gotta Find Me Somebody - The Velvets                                       
  5. If This Is Love (I'd Rather Be Lonely) - The Precisions                                  
  6. Seven Day Lover - James Fountain                                               
  7. You Don’t Mean It - Towanda Barnes                             
  8. The Night - Frankie Valli                                       
  9. I’m Com’un Home In The Morn’un - Lou Pride                                            
  10. (Just Say) You’re Wanted And Needed - Gwen Owens                                   
  11. They’ll Never Know Why - Freddy Chavez                                 
  12. Tear Stained Face - Don Varner                                        
  13. Crying Over You - Duke Browner                                  
  14. Exus Trek - Luther Ingram                                  
  15. Too Late - Larry Williams & Johnny Watson
  16. Your Autumn Of Tomorrow - The Crow                                            
  17. I’m Gone - Eddie Parker                                     
  18. I Really Love You - The Tomangoes                                               
  19. This Love Starved Heart Of Mine (It’s Killing Me) - Marvin Gaye                                  
  20. Stick By Me Baby - The Salvadores                                
  21. Time - Edwin Starr                                        
  22. Come On Train - Don Thomas                                      
  23. Lonely For You Baby - Sam Dees                                           
  24. Gone With The Wind Is My Love - Rita & The Tiaras                              
  25. Suspicion - The Originals                                     
  26. Turning My Heartbeat Up - The MVP’s                                         
  27. Time Will Pass You By - Tobi Legend                                                      

CD2: Northern Soul: Further Inspiration from Elaine Constantine

1. She’ll Come Running Back - Mel Britt
  2. Little Love Affair - Patrinell Staten
  3. You Don’t Love Me - Epitome Of Sound
  4. I Just Can’t Live My Life (Without You Babe) - Linda Jones
  5. What Good Am I Without You - Darrow Fletcher
  6. I Surrender - Eddie Holman
  7. I Don’t Like To Lose - The Group feat Cecil Washington
  8. In Love - Tony Galla
  9. I Was Born To Love You - Herbert Hunter
  10. I Really Love You - Jimmy Burns
  11. Blowing My Mind To Pieces -  Bob Relf
  12. Please Stay - The Ivories
  13. The Chase Is On - Johnny Howard
  14. You Left Me - The Admirations
  15. Ain’t Gonna Run No More - The Royal Esquires
  16. Love Slave - The Antellects
  17. As Long As You Love Me (I’ll Stay) - Ronnie & Robyn
  18. My Lonely Feeling - Milton James
  19. Can You Win - Charlene & The Soul Serenaders
  20. This Won’t Change - Lester Tipton
  21. Love Factory - Eloise Laws
  22. Under Your Powerful Love - Joe Tex
  23. It Really Hurts Me Girl - The Carstairs
  24. Hung Up On Your Love - The Montclairs
  25. Baby Don’t You Weep - Edward Hamilton & The Arabians
  26. The Magic Touch - Melba Moore
  27. If You Ever Walked Out Of My Life - Dena Barnes

Compiled and Sequenced With Love by Elaine Constantine

DVD: Actor James Lance interviews Elaine Constantine — director of ‘Northern Soul’ + an early Richard Searling interview with Elaine Constantine + Audio Extras

Social source share

I would LOVE to see a whole bunch of youngsters getting off on the film and then getting into vinyl with this set. I wish someone had provided a set of records like this when I was 15 and looking for a purpose in life! The 15 year old Steve would've too lol.  :lol:

You have to be conservative with sales predictions these days because the physical market is very fickle. Also I have access to the sales figures for just about everything so I know what the benchmarks are for the UK and have a pretty good idea on exports too. But you're right. I think this could do incredibly well if all goes well. However, as my boss keeps telling me, "gut feeling's not enough Ian. Just the facts please"! How long is a piece of string.......?  :g:

OMG Ian - The whole reason we got into this was because we couldn't bloody get the records otherwise we would have all just attended local discos! Yes some of us like me was very privileged to have access to the sounds working a

Global etc but if everyone had access to these records at the time we wouldn't have gone to allnighters- I cant believe you have  said that! Boots and Reissues were a bi product of attending a venue  they weren't made to promote people to come and listen!

Social source share

Anything else you want to add Steve? I'll send your recommendations to the guys @ Universal Pictures just so they know what they're getting into!  :lol:

Glad you're feeling better. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Ian D 

I didn't make any recommendations Ian, I made some comments and observations and I have the suspicion your reply was to belittle  and Im not impressed! If your not prepared to debate constructively you leave yourself wide open to ridicule. I was being entirely genuine about what I hope the film covers but if I have hit a nerve then at least be honest and say it doesn't cover any of the points Ive made or it covers 1 or 2 or which ever I have quoted. Maybe some of us hope it will be a mirror image of what we experienced when we were young and if we (The royal we) are wrong then please enlighten us! Regards Steve

Social source share

OMG Ian - The whole reason we got into this was because we couldn't bloody get the records otherwise we would have all just attended local discos! Yes some of us like me was very privileged to have access to the sounds working a

Global etc but if everyone had access to these records at the time we wouldn't have gone to allnighters- I cant believe you have  said that! Boots and Reissues were a bi product of attending a venue  they weren't made to promote people to come and listen!

Steve, that was 45 years ago and times were very very different mate. There will never be such a golden period of numerous great discoveries ever again in my view. Today's audiences find 'em in a totally different way. They're not gonna spend the next 30 years looking for Tomangoes originals like us lot did, don't worry. Today's audiences demand instant gratification that's just a click away and my job is to give it to 'em in the best way I can. And they won't get a much better introduction in 2014 than this in my view.

Ian D :D  

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I didn't make any recommendations Ian, I made some comments and observations and I have the suspicion your reply was to belittle  and Im not impressed! If your not prepared to debate constructively you leave yourself wide open to ridicule. I was being entirely genuine about what I hope the film covers but if I have hit a nerve then at least be honest and say it doesn't cover any of the points Ive made or it covers 1 or 2 or which ever I have quoted. Maybe some of us hope it will be a mirror image of what we experienced when we were young and if we (The royal we) are wrong then please enlighten us! Regards Steve

Steve, I was joking mate. Lighten up.

The point I was trying to make is that the film and the associated releases have not specifically been aimed at our age group (who don't generally venture to the cinema anyway). Your comments and observations were noted and , as I said, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. No film-maker is ever going to please everybody and everybody's individual recollections and perceptions. It's impossible. But from what I've already seen of this film, no one else has come anywhere near the quality of this in my opinion.

But let's wait till you see it OK? 

And cheer up!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

The DJ speak

Have you seen the script for the sequel?  :lol:

Social source share

The DJ speak

Pretty much all of that is covered.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Hi Andrew,

We're just waiting for the magical 'buy' button and the track-list to appear and then it'll be all systems go. I'm pretty sure that the film will have been filmed in the highest quality possible and likewise the sound.  In the meantime here's the info on the 7" Vinyl Box Set:-

In one of the most anticipated releases of the year, Harmless are proud to announce that we will be issuing the soundtrack to the forthcoming film, “Northern Soul” directed by Elaine Constantine. Early viewings confirm that “Northern Soul” will be the most accurate portrayal yet of this legendary musical movement which started in the north of England in the late 1960s and has now spread around the world and become a huge international scene. The film is due to launch in the UK in October 2014 and there will be considerable mainstream media coverage following the recent TV coverage via The One Show on BBC1 and the Culture Show on BBC2.

Since 7” vinyl remains at the epicenter of this 46 year old scene with the original records still establishing world-record prices in collecting circles, we felt duty bound to issue a very special edition of the soundtrack on 7” vinyl. We’ve specially licensed all the Northern Soul tracks from the soundtrack plus one bonus track for 14 x 7” discs, all in pic-sleeves featuring key scenes from the film, together with a specially commissioned 60 page hardback-bound book of carefully selected film stills which has been painstakingly edited and re-touched by Elaine Constantine, the director of ‘Northern Soul’. A perfect collector’s item from what will be one of the most distinctive films of recent times. So, that’s 14 x unique 7”vinyl singles and a 60 page hardback book collection of unique stills from a unique film all housed in a solid collectors heavy-duty box. To be treasured forever.

Needless to say, these 14 discs present 28 of the greatest Northern Soul classics of all-time, many of which are making their UK release for the very first time.  Every one of these tracks has been a floor-filler on the Northern Soul scene throughout its history and many of the original U.S. releases still command a huge value.  In fact the cumulative value of all the original pressings in the set comes to an astounding £35,260 (as valued by John Manship in July 2014).             

This will be Harmless’ key release throughout 2014 and for those enthusiasts who like to smell the vinyl, well here it is! A ‘must-have’ purchase for anyone who is interested in British musical culture, U.S. soul music and collecting serious Northern Soul music on its original vinyl format!    

HURTXCD125NorthernSoul-TheFilm7InchVinyl

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Northern-Soul-Soundtrack-Vinyl-VINYL/dp/B00LJWCGO6/ref=sr_1_2?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1406040730&sr=1-2&keywords=northern+soul+the+film

HURTBOX007 Northern Soul: The Film:  14 x 7” Box Set — Track Listing

Disc 1

A1. The Right Track 2.28 - Billy Butler

B1.  Back Street 2.48 - Edwin Starr                                        

Disc 2

A1. Soul Time 2.39 - Shirley Ellis

B1.  I Got To Find Me Somebody 2.22 - The Vel-Vets                                     

Disc 3

A1. If This Is Love (I’d Rather Be Lonely) 2.45 - The Precisions                                  

B1.  Seven Day Lover 3.08 - James Fountain                                               

Disc 4

A1. You Don’t Mean It 2.59 - Towanda Barnes                             

B1.  The Night 3.23 - Frankie Valli & The Four Seasons                                              

Disc 5

A1. I’m Com’un Home In The Morn’un 3.27 - Lou Pride                                            

B1.  (Just Say) You’re Wanted And Needed 2.38 - Gwen Owens                                   

Disc 6

A1. They’ll Never Know Why 2.52 - Freddy Chavez                 

B1.  Tear Stained Face 2.27 - Don Varner                                        

Disc 7

A1. Crying Over You 2.17 - Duke Browner                                  

B1.  Exus Trek 2.39 - Luther Ingram                                  

Disc 8

A1. Too Late 2.22 - Larry Williams & Johnny Watson

B1.  Your Autumn Of Tomorrow 2.26 - The Crow                                            

Disc 9

A1. I’m Gone 2.42 - Eddie Parker                                     

B1. I Really Love You 2.06 - The Tomangoes                                               

Disc 10

A1. This Love Starved Heart Of Mine (It’s Killing Me) 2.43 - Marvin Gaye                                     

B1. Stick By Me Baby 2.20 - The Salvadors                                   

Disc 11

A1. Time 3.00 - Edwin Starr                                        

B1.  Come On Train 3.16 - Don Thomas                                      

Disc 12

A1. Lonely For You Baby 2.46 - Sam Dees                                           

B1.  Gone With The Wind Is My Love 3.05 - Rita & The Tiaras                              

Disc 13

A1. Suspicion 3.04 - The Originals                                     

B1. Turning My Heartbeat Up 2.16 - The MVP’s                                         

Disc 14

A1. Time Will Pass You By 2.16 - Tobi Legend                                      

B1.  I Surrender 2.06 - Eddie Holman

hi ian

which of these are making their uk release for the very first time? hope the film/cd/records are a big success!

Edited by tobytyke
Social source share

hi ian

which of these are making there uk release for the very first time? hope the film/cd/records are a big success!

There's only one I think - Towanda Barnes (though an alternate version was issued on Grapevine) I think all others have come out on a UK release.

Social source share

Well, the story so far. This was only fully listed within the last 72 hours. My boss just texted me to ask if I'd seen the Amazon rankings tonight. Surprisingly I hadn't.....

Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 221 in Music (See Top 100 in Music)

#2 in Music > R&B and Soul > Motown
#2 in Music > Vinyl > Vinyl Album
#6 in Music > R&B and Soul > Soul

That's pretty damn amazing for a £90.00 box set. Looks like Steve was right. We under-estimated demand. Maybe my over-optimistic prediction wasn't optimistic enough! Where are we going with this? Any predictions?

Edited by Ian Dewhirst
Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Well, the story so far. This was only fully listed within the last 72 hours. My boss just texted me to ask if I'd seen the Amazon rankings tonight. Surprisingly I hadn't.....

Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 221 in Music (See Top 100 in Music)

#2 in Music > R&B and Soul > Motown

#2 in Music > Vinyl > Vinyl Album

#6 in Music > R&B and Soul > Soul

That's pretty damn amazing for a £90.00 box set. Looks like Steve was right. We under-estimated demand. Maybe my over-optimistic prediction wasn't optimistic enough! Where are we going with this? Any predictions?

Superb. Hopefully this augers well for the film release. :thumbsup:

Social source share

The CD gets a mention in the latest edition of T3 magazine.....

"Get some Dexy's in, put some talc on the floor and bust your best moves to this corking selection of 60s and 70s soul-dance obscurities".

And the PR campaign hasn't really actually started yet. We're starting to ramp that up from next week with the hope that there'll be nowhere to escape the clutches of 'Northern Soul: The Film' by September...... :lol:

Social source share

And the PR campaign hasn't really actually started yet. We're starting to ramp that up from next week with the hope that there'll be nowhere to escape the clutches of 'Northern Soul: The Film' by September...... :lol:

Also noticed that Get On Up, the James Brown biopic is a Universal release on the 26th September.  Two visits to the flicks in the space of a month.

Social source share

Salvadors? Freddie Chavez? Lou Pride? Or did I somehow miss 'em?

Yes you did, sorry.  All came out on Goldmine Soul Supply 7 inch singles.  So stick that in yer pipe and smoke it, oh ye who doesn't know as much as he thinks he does   :thumbsup: .  (Lou Pride on other side of Bobby Hutton, Freddie Chavez on other side of Tempos)

R-2272015-1389912774-6077.jpeg  R-1474500-1364054986-1051.gif

R-4910598-1379180916-7694.jpeg

Edited by Pete S
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

The CD's just hit No.1 and the Vinyl Box No.4 on the Amazon Soul Chart and we're not out for 7 weeks yet! Good awareness already!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/bestsellers/music/761124/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_m_h__1_3_last

The CD's just hit No.1 and the Vinyl Box No.4 on the Amazon Soul Chart and we're not out for 7 weeks yet! Good awareness already!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/bestsellers/music/761124/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_m_h__1_3_last

And it's now No.84 in the Main Amazon rankings:-

Looks like we're off and running now!

To give this some perspective how many sales has it taken to achieve this?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

To give this some perspective how many sales has it taken to achieve this?

Unfortunately I'm not allowed to release sales figures Chalky, but if the album keeps pre-selling at the same rate up to release, then it'll Harmless's biggest-ever seller on pre-sales alone. We're looking at thousands rather than hundreds! 

Social source share

Yes you did, sorry.  All came out on Goldmine Soul Supply 7 inch singles.  So stick that in yer pipe and smoke it, oh ye who doesn't know as much as he thinks he does   :thumbsup: .  (Lou Pride on other side of Bobby Hutton, Freddie Chavez on other side of Tempos)

R-2272015-1389912774-6077.jpeg  R-1474500-1364054986-1051.gif

R-4910598-1379180916-7694.jpeg

Twatted!  :lol:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

[

That's probably the nicest thing that anyone's ever said about me Jocko! Thankyou. I work like a demon for a company called Demon and now I know why they got the name! :)

These days I work around 300% harder then I ever have, for approximately 75% of what I used to earn, whilst paying out 35% more in overheads than I did in 2009. If that's not a recipe for looming disaster then I don't know what is. I'll swap you some freelance work for some sound financial advice. How does that sound? :lol:

I remember from our discussion at Christmas mate, but also your promotions are tireless, so as always credit where credits due. And we wont talk about reduction in salaries or Kegsy will get confused what forum we are in and be in like a flash, telling us its all in our minds, we are all much better together!

And I don’t think that would be a good deal for you, sadly. My financial advice has always been if you have it spend it, twice, and sadly that’s coming home to roost. I can make sure your accounts add up, and even better show you how to do that in fancy automated ways, but how to make the money work better, or last longer still seems way beyond me.

One thing I will say is don’t buy any Financial Services actual products for the next few years, till things settle. You can have that for free, just don’t sue me if its wrong!

Ian,

Here is some sound financial advice !

If your numbers are correct then Jock aint the guy for you as he is eating 35% more pizza than he has ever done, drinking 100% more Guinness and the caravan he has booked for Cleethorpes will have to be twice the size !

Ian you cant afford him (and just a short ps to jock you are far to old to be an apprentice but the government has plans to get the over 50's in training schemes)

I appreciate you aren’t used to hearing the words you are right Roddy, so I wont say them, at least not completely. Your damning of my financial advice based on my financial management over the years is fair, but as for the rest my body is now a temple, and haven’t had a Guinness for nearly 3 months, since Cleggy in fact. And since I already have my onsite caravan for Cleggy next year my management skills are obviously worth paying for!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Rob Alias

That's probably the nicest thing that anyone's ever said about me Jocko! Thankyou. I work like a demon for a company called Demon and now I know why they got the name! :)

These days I work around 300% harder then I ever have, for approximately 75% of what I used to earn, whilst paying out 35% more in overheads than I did in 2009. If that's not a recipe for looming disaster then I don't know what is. I'll swap you some freelance work for some sound financial advice. How does that sound?  :lol:

You don't have to look that far Ian, as you well know. It is just a matter of pride.

Rob Alias

:thumbsup:

Social source share

It also includes ex pat middle aged codgers.

And so it should. It's a wide-appeal package with a huge age-range potential market.

I've long had a theory that us lot, i.e. the majority of Soul Source contributors, are the 1% of people of people who are very, very serious about the scene and take the time to write on here. My gut feeling is that if more people (i.e. the other 99%) were exposed to the music, then they'd love it and start understanding the passion that we've held for the last 46 years. If this film and soundtrack can get that across, then the very minimum result we'll get is that we'll never have to explain what Northern Soul is all about ever again. Just give 'em the CD and DVD and job done.

If anyone doesn't understand what Northern Soul is all about after October 2014, then God bless 'em.

All looking good out here on the frontline. :)

Ian D :)

• Helpful 3
Social source share

I have a dilemma. I'll buy the CD, and I'll buy the DVD of the film when it comes out, and I really like the look of the box set of singles.

However, if I bought the singles, they would stay in the box and never be played, simply because I very rarely listen to singles at home now (Gone all CD and digital there), and I wouldn't even consider playing them when I DJ being an OVO facist  :lol:.

My dilemma is this, I quite like the look of the book that comes with the singles, so is it worth lashing out seventy odd quid for. Probably not, so my question is this: Is there any possibility of the book being made available independently of the singles. Or is there a SS member who is basically illiterate, who would split the set with me :lol:  

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Probably not, so my question is this: Is there any possibility of the book being made available independently of the singles. Or is there a SS member who is basically illiterate, who would split the set with me :lol:  

I believe the book that comes with the vinyl box set is designed for the illiterate soul fan, as it's all photographs.

Social source share

No, if you read the spiel on Amazon it's a book of photographs from the film.  The book that came out last year is too big to fit in the box set.

derr. Of course. But surely most of the pictures would've already featured in the earlier book?

Social source share

I've pre-ordered both the CD and vinyl editions of the soundtrack. After seeing the film at the cinema, I will also buy the Blu-ray Disc when it is released.

Like others here, I already have a lot of the music, either on CD or original vinyl and ultimately all this promo stuff is just more clutter and will eventually find it's way into the attic, just like all the Northern Soul books I've bought over the years.

I guess that I'm buying these items as souvenirs and partly to show my support for what I feel has been a very ambitious and expensive project for Elaine and everyone else involved.

Edited by Soul16
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Hi Andrew,

We're just waiting for the magical 'buy' button and the track-list to appear and then it'll be all systems go. I'm pretty sure that the film will have been filmed in the highest quality possible and likewise the sound.  In the meantime here's the info on the 7" Vinyl Box Set:-

In one of the most anticipated releases of the year, Harmless are proud to announce that we will be issuing the soundtrack to the forthcoming film, “Northern Soul” directed by Elaine Constantine. Early viewings confirm that “Northern Soul” will be the most accurate portrayal yet of this legendary musical movement which started in the north of England in the late 1960s and has now spread around the world and become a huge international scene. The film is due to launch in the UK in October 2014 and there will be considerable mainstream media coverage following the recent TV coverage via The One Show on BBC1 and the Culture Show on BBC2.

Since 7” vinyl remains at the epicenter of this 46 year old scene with the original records still establishing world-record prices in collecting circles, we felt duty bound to issue a very special edition of the soundtrack on 7” vinyl. We’ve specially licensed all the Northern Soul tracks from the soundtrack plus one bonus track for 14 x 7” discs, all in pic-sleeves featuring key scenes from the film, together with a specially commissioned 60 page hardback-bound book of carefully selected film stills which has been painstakingly edited and re-touched by Elaine Constantine, the director of ‘Northern Soul’. A perfect collector’s item from what will be one of the most distinctive films of recent times. So, that’s 14 x unique 7”vinyl singles and a 60 page hardback book collection of unique stills from a unique film all housed in a solid collectors heavy-duty box. To be treasured forever.

Needless to say, these 14 discs present 28 of the greatest Northern Soul classics of all-time, many of which are making their UK release for the very first time.  Every one of these tracks has been a floor-filler on the Northern Soul scene throughout its history and many of the original U.S. releases still command a huge value.  In fact the cumulative value of all the original pressings in the set comes to an astounding £35,260 (as valued by John Manship in July 2014).             

This will be Harmless’ key release throughout 2014 and for those enthusiasts who like to smell the vinyl, well here it is! A ‘must-have’ purchase for anyone who is interested in British musical culture, U.S. soul music and collecting serious Northern Soul music on its original vinyl format!    

HURTXCD125NorthernSoul-TheFilm7InchVinyl

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Northern-Soul-Soundtrack-Vinyl-VINYL/dp/B00LJWCGO6/ref=sr_1_2?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1406040730&sr=1-2&keywords=northern+soul+the+film

HURTBOX007 Northern Soul: The Film:  14 x 7” Box Set — Track Listing

Disc 1

A1. The Right Track 2.28 - Billy Butler

B1.  Back Street 2.48 - Edwin Starr                                        

Disc 2

A1. Soul Time 2.39 - Shirley Ellis

B1.  I Got To Find Me Somebody 2.22 - The Vel-Vets                                     

Disc 3

A1. If This Is Love (I’d Rather Be Lonely) 2.45 - The Precisions                                  

B1.  Seven Day Lover 3.08 - James Fountain                                               

Disc 4

A1. You Don’t Mean It 2.59 - Towanda Barnes                             

B1.  The Night 3.23 - Frankie Valli & The Four Seasons                                              

Disc 5

A1. I’m Com’un Home In The Morn’un 3.27 - Lou Pride                                            

B1.  (Just Say) You’re Wanted And Needed 2.38 - Gwen Owens                                   

Disc 6

A1. They’ll Never Know Why 2.52 - Freddy Chavez                 

B1.  Tear Stained Face 2.27 - Don Varner                                        

Disc 7

A1. Crying Over You 2.17 - Duke Browner                                  

B1.  Exus Trek 2.39 - Luther Ingram                                  

Disc 8

A1. Too Late 2.22 - Larry Williams & Johnny Watson

B1.  Your Autumn Of Tomorrow 2.26 - The Crow                                            

Disc 9

A1. I’m Gone 2.42 - Eddie Parker                                     

B1. I Really Love You 2.06 - The Tomangoes                                               

Disc 10

A1. This Love Starved Heart Of Mine (It’s Killing Me) 2.43 - Marvin Gaye                                     

B1. Stick By Me Baby 2.20 - The Salvadors                                   

Disc 11

A1. Time 3.00 - Edwin Starr                                        

B1.  Come On Train 3.16 - Don Thomas                                      

Disc 12

A1. Lonely For You Baby 2.46 - Sam Dees                                           

B1.  Gone With The Wind Is My Love 3.05 - Rita & The Tiaras                              

Disc 13

A1. Suspicion 3.04 - The Originals                                     

B1. Turning My Heartbeat Up 2.16 - The MVP’s                                         

Disc 14

A1. Time Will Pass You By 2.16 - Tobi Legend                                      

B1.  I Surrender 2.06 - Eddie Holman

Ian you are a Git :thumbsup:

I wanted nothing to do with this enterprise but the lure of all that lovely shiny black vinyl has finally got to me :wicked: good grief I feel like such a tart :shhh:

Never expected anything like this what a low blow :thumbup:  :hatsoff2:

:lol:

Social source share

Just a heads up to those interesting in purchasing the vinyl box set.  It's available from the film's official website at over £20 less than Amazon, along with a limited edition box set that includes a signed copy of the book and an art print......

https://www.myplaydirect.com/northern-soul?current_country=GB

Already selling magnificently. Elaine's doing the book signings tomorrow, so that'll be fun.....:)

Social source share

OK, it's been a whirlwind of a week. The "Living For The Weekend" BBC4 documentary aired 3 times over last weekend and somehow propelled "Northern Soul" the soundtrack into the 50th biggest-selling album in the U.K. over last weekend, 7 weeks before release.

The stats coming in already are making us nervy. It's a good job we're geared up for this. It's a definitive compilation of 54 brilliant Northern Soul recordings which will hopefully hit a chord with a UK market that's just looking for the right excuse to buy a Northern Soul compilation. Soundtrack out 15/09/14 and film out 20/10/14. Should make for an interesting end to 2014.  :thumbsup:

Word to the wise. Elaine came into the office today and signed 200 copies of the book whilst we fed her with cake and peppermint tea, for the all-singing, all dancing super-duper special edition which is here somewhere:

https://www.northernsoulthefilm.com/sponsor

If you want this edition, then don't dick around. There's less than 50% left after a week and we're kicking ourselves. You heard it here first, OK?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Word to the wise. Elaine came into the office today and signed 200 copies of the book whilst we fed her with cake and peppermint tea, for the all-singing, all dancing super-duper special edition which is here somewhere:

If you want this edition, then don't dick around. There's less than 50% left after a week and we're kicking ourselves. You heard it here first, OK?

Edited by illusive
Social source share

The stats coming in already are making us nervy. It's a good job we're geared up for this. It's a definitive compilation of 54 brilliant Northern Soul recordings which will hopefully hit a chord with a UK market that's just looking for the right excuse to buy a Northern Soul compilation. Soundtrack out 15/09/14 and film out 20/10/14. Should make for an interesting end to 2014.  :thumbsup:

That's a Monday, Ian.

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

OK, news from the front-line folks.

This is turning into an extraordinary soundtrack release based on pre-awareness and general market 'buzz'. With 4 weeks to go to the soundtrack release and 8 weeks to go to the theatrical release, we're in a pretty great place right now. Mainline PR is now about to kick in and Radio promo will start from the end of next week. All formats are performing out of their skin. Both the main 2 x CD/Interview DVD package and the 14 x 7" Special Vinyl edition + Film Stills book package have exploded and never been off the Amazon top pre-sellers in numerous charts for the last 3 months. The limited-edition all-singing, all-dancing package has now sold-out I believe. We've even taken the precaution of clearing and preparing a single CD format of just the soundtrack in case people ask for that too. The demand from all areas has been nothing short of astonishing. This is what it's all about for me. How many people will listen and fall in love with Towanda Barnes, Linda Jones, Lou Pride, The Tomangoes, Edward Hamilton & The Arabians, Eddie Parker etc, etc. purely as a result of listening to this package? Hopefully loads. It's about time this music got some national recognition.

And just wait 'til they see the f*ckin' FILM!

It's very weird. I've never known so much general mainstream interest in a release in my life. It's a good job I prepared for this.  :thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

A bit surprised the soundtrack is getting dissected, I mean come on, we've all got our favourites and opinions on running order blah blah blah.

But we ain't going to please everyone are we?

Just glance thru some of the firey discussions on this forum and you'll see we're a contrary bunch regarding the music, probably due to us all investing too much time trouble and money in it over the years!

Everything's so bloody over analysed these days.

Just put it in the player, roll back the carpet and stomp;)

Regards

Jim.

make em have it !  mot

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!