The Michigan Move

Guest son of stan

Guest son of stan

..or was it 'The Michigan Mood''?

This was a fantastic instrumental that Guy Hennigan used to play incessantly throughout the 1980s. I don't think it was ever attributed to a band, was it? Was just known as 'The Michigan Move (or possibly 'Mood')

That is all I know about it. Anyone got any more info?

Edited by son of stan
Social source share

i thought it was a legal reissue,same label as golden eye but with a small hole,with the michigan move on the back

It's not a reissue. It was never issued so it can't be a reissue.  An acetate isn't an "issue". It's an acetate.  In this case a recent acetate as opposed to an historic one which gives it even less significance.  It may be a "bootleg" but that would need examination. Even if it was a "bootleg that isn't necessarily a bad thing. The ethos of true bootlegging (as opposed to counterfeiting) has legitimacy in record collecting.  If the owners of the tapes gave permission for their use then that would offer some legitimacy but then again there may be other legalities.

As it stands personally I'd view the UK release of MM as a legitimate issue (but not in the same way as an official record company release). More like an "indie"release. Until someone  proves it isn't. 

Social source share

About as legit as the "Mafmon" or "Joker" reissues I presume. Although there may be a moral argument amongst some, I don't think that being the first D.J. to play a record out on the Northern scene gives you the legal right to reissue a track?

Des

Unless you put it on vinyl no one is ever going to hear it.  It was never issued. Playing of an acetate copy doesn't give it any more legitimacy than playing off a vinyl copy from a  limited vinyl release. 

• Helpful 2
Social source share

If I remember rightly the Golden Eye issue is fairly poor sound quality, or was that just my copy. I can understand the possible misuse of the term "reissue" in respect of MM, but the Golden Eye release merits the classification of "reissue", as the other side "Soul Brothers Inc" is a reissue of a previously issued track. Weren't the labels on the wrong side too, or again was that just my copy  :facepalm:

Des

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I remember the first 50 copies of the golden eye issue thing of Michigan Move that guy did were all warped and didn't play....the rest that he got made the sound quality wasn't great.

What a tune...danced many a time to it when Guy played it.....pure no nonsense old school belting northern....no prisoners taken as Mr Hennigan would put it.

Social source share

It's not a reissue. It was never issued so it can't be a reissue.  An acetate isn't an "issue". It's an acetate.  In this case a recent acetate as opposed to an historic one which gives it even less significance.  It may be a "bootleg" but that would need examination. Even if it was a "bootleg that isn't necessarily a bad thing. The ethos of true bootlegging (as opposed to counterfeiting) has legitimacy in record collecting.  If the owners of the tapes gave permission for their use then that would offer some legitimacy but then again there may be other legalities.

As it stands personally I'd view the UK release of MM as a legitimate issue (but not in the same way as an official record company release). More like an "indie"release. Until someone  proves it isn't. 

It's a bootleg. No rights, no licence. Illegitimate. Period.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

It's a bootleg. No rights, no licence. Illegitimate. Period.

That isn't necessarily a bad thing though. The ethos of bootlegging is to make material available that for whatever reason would remain unreleased. If you look at the wider field of record collecting some bootlegs have definite legitimacy. It's down to how you look at it. I tend to take the wider picture rather than focusing on license and "rights".   These are important in some cases but in a situation such as this they're not really applicable unless you want to spend all day splitting hairs.

Eg the failure of EMI to release  Beatles material that was in the vaults and live performances  led to a massive market in Beatles bootleg material, much of which could be found in legitimate record shops and much of which has acquired legitimacy and respectability over the years. This of course is different to the case of Michigan Move but the sentiment is the same. From a fan perspective: It's unreleased and there's a demand to hear it that isn't going to be met by no other means than to bootleg it. That's what bootlegging is.

On the NS scene the term "boot" has a derogatory meaning but that doesn't give due regard to genuine bootlegging as opposed to counterfeiting.

So what should have happened with it? 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Should have stayed unreleased.

I think I see your point but it doesn't change anything for me. Even if bootleging unreleased stuff has wider acceptance than bootlegging released stuff it's still bootlegging, i.e. making a profit w/out consent of whoever owns the rights.

Social source share

That isn't necessarily a bad thing though. The ethos of bootlegging is to make material available that for whatever reason would remain unreleased. If you look at the wider field of record collecting some bootlegs have definite legitimacy. It's down to how you look at it. I tend to take the wider picture rather than focusing on license and "rights".   These are important in some cases but in a situation such as this they're not really applicable unless you want to spend all day splitting hairs.

Eg the failure of EMI to release  Beatles material that was in the vaults and live performances  led to a massive market in Beatles bootleg material, much of which could be found in legitimate record shops and much of which has acquired legitimacy and respectability over the years. This of course is different to the case of Michigan Move but the sentiment is the same. From a fan perspective: It's unreleased and there's a demand to hear it that isn't going to be met by no other means than to bootleg it. That's what bootlegging is.

On the NS scene the term "boot" has a derogatory meaning but that doesn't give due regard to genuine bootlegging as opposed to counterfeiting.

Yes, and it took Bob Dylan twenty odd years to realise the potential of officially releasing what had and hadn't been circulating since those acetates of what became the Basement Tapes first fell into bootleggers hands thus kickstarting the industry. I used to love buying boot LPs at record fairs but they were bloody expensive though. Swingin' PIG, TMOQ etc

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Trouble is, those idiots that support bootlegging don't have the brains to realise that once a record has been bootlegged it makes it financially impossible for a legitimate company like Kent or Outta Sight to release the track legitimately. So, not only do the people who are due something from the record get nothing, but you get bootlegs with crap sound quality.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I did read that unreleased material goes into the public domain after 50 years, that being the reason the Beatles have been issuing unissued material of late.

But back on topic, I find it incredible people attempting to legitimise bootlegging simply because it wasn't issued  :huh:

Social source share

I did read that unreleased material goes into the public domain after 50 years, that being the reason the Beatles have been issuing unissued material of late.

But back on topic, I find it incredible people attempting to legitimise bootlegging simply because it wasn't issued  :huh:

Probably because you have a viewpoint based solely on the NS scene  where the word "boot" is  derogatory and largely refers  to copying or counterfeiting. records that are obtainable while others, myself included have a wider interest and understand the ethos of bootlegging.  It isn't about ripping people off. It's about supplying material that would otherwise be unavailable. Record Collector magazine  have done countless articles on bootleg material and even supplied discographys.  In its own way it's legitimate but you have to have a certain amount of lateral thinking.

You either get it or you don't. I'm not trying to persuade anyone. Just stating it how it is. Look into the record collection of any serious collector and I bet you'll find numerous bootlegs - unreleased tracks, alternate takes, demos, live performances, rehearsals. Vinyl, tapes, vidoes. All unauthorised.  

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Probably because you have a viewpoint based solely on the NS scene  where the word "boot" is  derogatory and largely refers  to copying or counterfeiting. records that are obtainable while others, myself included have a wider interest and understand the ethos of bootlegging.  It isn't about ripping people off. It's about supplying material that would otherwise be unavailable. Record Collector magazine  have done countless articles on bootleg material and even supplied discographys.  In its own way it's legitimate but you have to have a certain amount of lateral thinking.

You either get it or you don't. I'm not trying to persuade anyone. Just stating it how it is. Look into the record collection of any serious collector and I bet you'll find numerous bootlegs - unreleased tracks, alternate takes, demos, live performances, rehearsals. Vinyl, tapes, vidoes. All unauthorised.  

Good post Maslar.

One of the difficulties on the Northern scene is terminology, where we call counterfeits (copies made to deceive) bootlegs, which they aren't in the more usual sense and application of the word.

Cheers

Richard

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Massive difference to a cheap and nasty repro of some northern monster aimed at dunderheids to a complete document of Dylan's 65-66 US and World Tour with rare photos, meticulously put together booklet,sleevenotes etc, Outside the hermetic world of NS it takes on a whole other meaning. Never forget the first time I heard She's Your Lover Now. Mannah from heaven.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Yu d talk some rubbish.  No amount of lateral thinking can get away from the fact it is a bootleg, unauthorised and illegal.  No matter how you look at it, no permission was sought, no rights obtained no royalties were obtained by the rightful owner.  I don't need to read any magazine nor look into any collection.  Neither does a discography legitimise a bootleg.  

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!