Show Us Your Great Photos - Pt2

Amsterdam Russ

Manchester birding forum. Reports two Swallows seen today at a local to me reservoir. They must have been blown in on these recent Gale force winds. Earliest I have ever seen them in the north west is April 7th and that was last year.

Steve

Got one eye on the sky...

Would be great if people could report in when they see the first of the summer swallows, swifts and martins.  :thumbsup: 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Just got home from a day out and about. Pennington Flash this morning then drove up to Leighton Moss. Seen and heard my first chiffchaff of the year along with a singing cetti,s warbler at Pennington Flash. But the highlight,s of the day had to be the 50 plus avocets at Leighton and the approximate 40 -50 house Martin's and 10 swallows. The earliest that I have ever seen either in this country. April 2nd.

Seen house Martin's at the end of March in the republic of Ireland about 17 year's back.

Will go through the pictures when I get chance

Steve

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Russell. That's great to capture the behaviour of the grebes and coots like that and to give the commentary as you did. Have you ever thought of becoming a narrator. ?

Love the sunset pictures too.

Steve

Thanks, Steve. I don't think Attenborough has anything to fear. I have to say it's been really fascinating watching events unfurl at the nest site.

One thing that I've learned is that elements of the grebe's courtship display are ongoing. I've witnessed the head shaking that you see in the ritual happening very frequently on their own. It seems to be very much as if they use this display to continually affirm the pairing bond they made with the full courtship display. It also seems to be a means of communication about how the pair should jointly act.

For example, every time there's been a coot/grebe stand-off, the grebes engage in the head shaking behaviour. It's almost as if they're agreeing with one another as to how they'll deal with the current situation.

If you can imaging a couple of deaf blokes in a pub using sign language to communicate how they're going to get back at the bullying local who's been taking the piss all night, then that's what the grebes appear to be doing. 

I have to say the more I watch them interacting together, and against the coots, the more fascinating it all becomes! 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Pretty certain I caught my first glimpse of a summer migrant about half an hour ago. It was just disappearing out of view when I sped it, so can't be sure whether it was a house martin or swallow.

Will keep my eyes peeled now so that I can confirm the sighting. 

Anyone else got summer summer migrants to report?

Social source share

Pretty certain I caught my first glimpse of a summer migrant about half an hour ago. It was just disappearing out of view when I sped it, so can't be sure whether it was a house martin or swallow.

Will keep my eyes peeled now so that I can confirm the sighting. 

Anyone else got summer summer migrants to report?

That's great news Russell. It's almost a week now since my first sighting of the year for the house Martin's and swallows in the north west of the UK. .. so by rights I would imagine that they have also reached the Netherlands. Keep us posted.

Steve

Social source share

That's great news Russell. It's almost a week now since my first sighting of the year for the house Martin's and swallows in the north west of the UK. .. so by rights I would imagine that they have also reached the Netherlands. Keep us posted.

Steve

If you look on a map where we are roughly lines up with Ipswich, so I always expect them to be here before they get to you. Of course, it depends on how they spread through Europe once they've crossed over from Africa. 

A migration chart would come in handy.

Social source share

If you look on a map where we are roughly lines up with Ipswich, so I always expect them to be here before they get to you. Of course, it depends on how they spread through Europe once they've crossed over from Africa. 

A migration chart would come in handy.

Russell. I always thought they arrived in the south west of Ireland and the Scilly isles first then gradually moved eastward.

your right about the migration chart kit would be interesting

Steve

Social source share

Russell. I always thought they arrived in the south west of Ireland and the Scilly isles first then gradually moved eastward.

your right about the migration chart kit would be interesting

Steve

That might be right from a UK standpoint, but I doubt it's true for mainland Europe. 

I actually went off to look for a migration chart, got distracted on the way and eventually ended up back here having forgotten about my mission. Will try again!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Well that took all of 10 seconds to find. According to this migration map, which shows things from a UK perspective, swallows & house martins come through both central Spain and central France before veering off in which ever direction pulls them.

post-9478-0-61268600-1428525020_thumb.jp

Would be nice to see the route in a bit more detail and see how they come into the Netherlands exactly - whether they're turning right when they get to the middle of France or whether they're coming in in other ways.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Russell. Thanks for posting. A very interesting short article.

Steve

You're welcome.

Still not caught another sighting of a swallow or martin, so can't confirm that they're actually here. Possibly they were just stretching their wings and have headed back to the departure lounge at Schiphol before heading off elsewhere in Europe.

What I can report is that in the battle between the coots and the grebes, the coots appear to have won.

Where the coot would encroach upon the nest site and the grebes would see it away, now the coot is being much more territorial. Rather than just posture from atop the nest, it's swimming around it when the grebes are near.

The grebes are making no real effort to win back their construction and are easily deterred when they now only occasionally approach it. 

A few things I've learned from watching are :

1) only one coot in a pair builds the nest

2) the coot's construction techniques are far more industrial than the grebes. The latter uses vegetation primarily while the coots are using lots of twigs and even branches to give support to the vegetation.

3) having witnessed them give up the nest without much of a fight, I believe that grebes are in some way related to the chicken.

Edited by Russell Gilbert
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Good to see you posting again Dave. Some fantastic flowers, Shrubs etc as always

Heading for rspb Burton mere wetlands reserve shortly hopefully returning with some decent photographs

Steve

Good luck Steve, the weather here in the last week or so has been appalling, hope to get into the countryside next week to go orchid spotting.  Can't get close enough to the wildlife here, they are all so wary as the Spanish shoot everything that moves.  Hope to post a few more shots soon, wind and rain permitting.

Dave

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Heres something we do not want on the reserve, there were two of them

Anyone want a nice coat ...

attachicon.gif458_009.jpg

attachicon.gif458_013.jpg

attachicon.gif458_017.jpg

Martyn. They're cheeky pests. Once had one trying to get in my keepnet whilst I was fishing a match on the river weaver near Northwich.

As you say it's the last think you need on a reserve.

They destroyed my dad's pond. Killing every fish including koi to nearly ten pounds.didn't eat any of them. Savage murderers with no natural predators. Only consolation is as the otter population increases the mink are decreasing.

Steve

Edited by Winsford Soul
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Oops. Had forgotten about my sabbatical.

Will have to get my camera in work. Two pairs of grey wagtails . One with a very dark almost black head. Very striking bird

Steve

Wagtails are usually pretty tolerant of people, you should be able to get relatively close to them

• Helpful 1
Social source share