Show Us Your Great Photos - Pt2

Amsterdam Russ

Philippe. Most people will be very familiar with mole hills but few know what the moles actually look like and even less have had the pleasure of seeing them. I've only ever seen two in my life, actually handled one of them.

Did it survive the encounter with your pet ?

Steve

Social source share

Yes Steve, it's very difficult to see moles because they have an underground life. But people who have lawns know who they are : their ennemies ! :D

Cats and some dogs caught them just when they make their mole hills. My cat killed the mole but she didn't eat it. Not good enough for her I suppose.

1431281279-001.jpg

Social source share

Convenient that 100 year 'secret' ruling eh ... !

Mind you with all your 'connections' amongst the powers that be I'm sure you've had a peek at even those most deeply classified documents ...  :shades:  

5th Btn Black Watch landed on Juno evening of 6th and would hardly have been 'practicing' at Margate in the morning before pulling out of the Solent after lunch , and the 1st/7th Btns left these shores on the 9th from Tilbury not Margate .

Correct Mate....they weren't practicing...init!x

I had 2 Grandads with my Nanna Stanton. Grandad George who looked after her from the early 70's until her passing in the late 90's. 30 years. before that she was married to Jimmy Stanton....since 1940...till '70-71. 

Amazingly...both of me GD's met...at Margate....during my suggested time frame....to become lifelong friends. Jimmy was in the Black Watch. George was in The Navy. They both saw what happened. Jimmy made it from the 'exercises'...but returned to be a socially drunk......horrible nasty man tbf. Jimmy and George returned from the war to be in Grimsby and here is his picture. Me Grandad George as a family friend loved my Nan since the 40's....watched her get battered by Jimmy and everything during their 8 kid marriage. Jimmy and George were at sea most of those years.....but as a 4/5/6/7/8/9/ 10 year old...I remember jimmy kicking off.,....every xmas afternoon.

So.....a 'love' story of sorts....but it puts 2 folk in the same place at the same time....and different 'reactions' to such circumstances. George always forgave Jimmy as did me Nan....cos of the war. Jimmy lost around 30 Scot mates who he grew up with in Glasgow. Their 'story'...is all I know. Thanks for giving me the opportunity to share such. 

I do have connections Woodbutcher...........but the ones that mean the most to me.....are the unsung...forgotten folk. It's why my 'connections' can't look me in the eye. I know too much of 'the peoples' suffering if u like. I let them know too.....as I said to Nige and his entourage when they commented on me UJ shoes jestingly......"I wear the UJ 24/7....not just every 4 years for a day....." Not 1 of them dare say owt. 100 year sh*te??? None of what i know about Margate will feature.......and they are the saddest tales and pictures.....honest....X 

jimmystanton.jpg

Me nan with her 'soul mate' George enjoying life after they had endured enuff...I reckon!x

madeira.jpg

LUV

SOOTY

X

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Snapped this today while weeing the dogs..........

post-7917-0-85583200-1431628742_thumb.jp

Just a little sprig sat all on it`s own with all these lovely ladies sitting in the middle.

:yes:

Social source share

Cheers for the info, a bit to kew gardens for me :yes:

The thing is Andy, they are possibly better suited to the UK than they are in hot arid Spain, so they proliferate and are taking over.  My advice would be to cut them every year so that they don't set seed, and try and dig them up, their bulbils, tiny bulb that grow off the main bulb, will grow quickly enough and they will spread and spread, threatening the native species.  Whilst I live in Spain and enjoy the climate I feel reluctant to start an anti Spanish (bluebell) campaign just in case of a backlash.  

p.s. I first went to visit Kew when it cost 1d to get in, check out the price now, it's staggering and no longer affordable to most for a few hours of pleasure.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Soon be that time of year when I head off to Pembrokeshire. Bothering badgers and otters. Hopefully this year will manage the red kite pictures that so far have eluded me.

Treated myself to some new binoculars. Celestron trail seekers 8x42. Voted best mid price binoculars 2014 and likened to the leica ultravid 40 range but nearly a grand cheaper. Can't wait to try them properly.

Steve

Social source share

You can see why Dave. Looks fabulous

Steve

Steve, they are all within a couple of hours of me, and incredibly quiet, Goshawks, Eagles, Vultures and enough orchids to shake a stick at.  Bliss.

Have a good Bank Holiday, I miss going out though, so there is a downside :(

Dave

Social source share

Steve, they are all within a couple of hours of me, and incredibly quiet, Goshawks, Eagles, Vultures and enough orchids to shake a stick at.  Bliss.

Have a good Bank Holiday, I miss going out though, so there is a downside :(

Dave

Thanks mate. Really looking forward to whitchurch tomorrow night. And then two weeks of blissfully taking pictures and long coastline walking in beautiful Pembrokeshire. And possibly seeing a goshawk again.. Could you please send some Spanish sunshine for two weeks starting on the 30th May.

Enjoy your weekend too

Steve

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Thanks mate. Really looking forward to whitchurch tomorrow night. And then two weeks of blissfully taking pictures and long coastline walking in beautiful Pembrokeshire. And possibly seeing a goshawk again.. Could you please send some Spanish sunshine for two weeks starting on the 30th May.

Enjoy your weekend too

Steve

We do have enough to spare, it'll be a constant 25C or more in a week or two.  Enjoy Pembrokeshire, must be 20 years since I was last in Wales.

Dave

• Helpful 1
Social source share

p.s. how do I rotate photos ?

Before you upload, click on them so they open. They should open in a basic image editing app. If not, right click when you open and the option to open it in whatever photo editing software you've got installed should come up (something like that for Windows!)

On a Mac, just double click and they'll open in Preview. Press Command and L to rotate left - or Command and R for right.  Then save. 

Social source share

A few work related photos

attachicon.gifwork (4).jpg

A view from halfway up a column on Stanlow oil refinery, about ten years ago, the chaps lay on the ground are wearing Neoprene chemical hazard suits, like being boiled in a bag.

attachicon.gifCD3 stanlow.jpg

Another view of Stanlow.

attachicon.gifWorkdog.jpg

Our dog turned a few heads on the motorway , ha.

attachicon.gifTPS4.jpg

Runcorn thermal power station, A view of Widnes before the roof went on.

attachicon.gifTPS8.jpg

Runcorn TPS, inside the boiler.

attachicon.gifcarrington.jpg

Inside a vessel at Shell Carrington over twenty years ago, with my friend Chris Connor . RIP

attachicon.gifIMG_0113.jpg

Suspended scaffold, Fiddlers Ferry power station, present day.

p.s. how do I rotate photos ?

The first one should come with a health warning for those, like me, that don't have a head for heights, even in a picture!

Social source share

Before you upload, click on them so they open. They should open in a basic image editing app. If not, right click when you open and the option to open it in whatever photo editing software you've got installed should come up (something like that for Windows!)

On a Mac, just double click and they'll open in Preview. Press Command and L to rotate left - or Command and R for right.  Then save. 

Thanks Russell,  I resized them and it worked a treat.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

The first one should come with a health warning for those, like me, that don't have a head for heights, even in a picture!

Dave the first photo was taken in the old days when we didn't have to wear a harness. My boots are about 80 feet from ground level.

Social source share

attachicon.gifTPS4.jpg

Runcorn thermal power station, A view of Widnes before the roof went on.

Aren't you a bit old to be playing on climbing frames Ste?....

I understand that when the new bridge is open there will be a form of passport control on the Runcorn side, and anyone who can't say 'Her there with the fair hair' without a Widnes accent won't be allowed across....

Edited by Zed1
  • Helpful 1
Social source share