Is It Ok To Talk About Jazz Here?

No thank you, we don't want any talk of Herbie Mann (Memphis Underground) or the Crusaders (after all who did they work with ...apart from Bobby W, Altrina, Randy Crawford, etc), Cannonball Adderley, George Benson (Breezin), Idris Muhammad and their like on here !! 

As for all that Salsa stuff ........... stuff it. 

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

One thing about the jazz world (especially in the US) ..... the fans were / are a lot more loyal.

FOR INSTANCE ............ long after Willie Tee stopped getting calls to perform his old soul numbers (except from the UK), he was kept busy working with his brother Earl Turbington on jazz club bookings (& they made some recordings together of a similar nature).  

Social source share

3 minutes ago, sjclement said:

Most of the Funk Brothers moonlighted in the jazz clubs a lot of the improvisations in their music came from there.

I would have thought that a large percentage of the studio musicians, on most of the labels releasing soul stuff, were actually jazz musicians first and foremost, not just the Motown stable.

Its always been obvious to me that the "Motown" sound owes much to big band jazz.

Edited by Kegsy
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

36 minutes ago, Kegsy said:

I much prefer the stuff his brother Idris did. 

Look, ain't seem our kid for ages, so I make mistakes AND ain't got no help from him or Willie Hutch .... otherwise Mart cuda been a Brother whos Gonna Work It Out before you get to add your silly comment.       BTW seen Keith's sad news on Facebook  :-(

Social source share

Would be great if there was a separate section for jazz/jazz fusion. I have to confess I don't even differentiate between soul music and the likes of Bob James, Ramsey Lewis, Nancy Wilson, David Sanborn, Dave Grusin, Ralph McDonald, Morrisey Mullen, Richard Tee, Bob Baldwin.....the list goes on

Kev

Social source share

13 hours ago, Kegsy said:

I would have thought that a large percentage of the studio musicians, on most of the labels releasing soul stuff, were actually jazz musicians first and foremost, not just the Motown stable.

Its always been obvious to me that the "Motown" sound owes much to big band jazz.

This is definitely true.  Pianists/arrangers Joe Hunter, Johnny Allen, Gil Askey were all Jazz musicians, as were ALL of Joe Hunter's band (including Mike Terry, James Jamerson, drummers Benny Benjamin, Uriel Jones and Pistol Allen, Robert White, Joe Messina, sax man Beans Bowles, guitarist Don Davis (Don Davis Trio). trombonist Herbie Williams, etc. Earl Van Dyke and Popcorn Wylie were Jazz pianists before Motown.  I would say that MOST Motown session players played Jazz.  Those few who didn't (Gordon Staples-Motown Strings) played Classical music.

Social source share

There's jazz & then there's jaaaazzzzzz .... the supper club type ..... I don't like all types of jazz but I do like everything on the funky end of the genre ....

........... like this for instance ............. 

AND this lady just about always stuck to straight unadulterated mainstream jazz ..... AND ... got lots of club gigs coz of that ..... 

EstherMarrow70x.jpg

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Really enjoy the jazz-soul from the 60's. People like Jimmy McGriff, Richard Groove Holmes, Fats Theus, Hank Crawford, Leon Spencer, Boogaloo Joe Jones and Reuben Wilson are top notch. Not too sure about jazz-funk, which got terribly bland as the 70's wore on.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

The forum is called SOUL Source - sorry but there's quite enough effing jazz and jazz forums around - it's not like its not well served on the net, I KNOW there's a lot of crossover, but (having been force fed it by my father) full-on jazz leaves me absolutely cold.

Personally I think it's pretentious twaddle (and when you get into free-form stuff I simply won't accept any argument suggesting it's anything other than self-impressed masturbatory shite) and I for one don't want to put up with chin rubbing discussions about Coltrane, Bird, Oscar Peterson or even the Crusaders.

Dx

Edited by DaveNPete
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

7 minutes ago, Russell Gilbert said:

^^^
IMHO, I wouldn't call that "jazz" in the slightest. It's a great fusion of styles that includes elements of jazz, but it's not jazz. Far from it in my book. And I say that as someone who likes Jon Lucien very much. 

"Jazzy" ?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

5 hours ago, Russell Gilbert said:

^^^
IMHO, I wouldn't call that "jazz" in the slightest. It's a great fusion of styles that includes elements of jazz, but it's not jazz. Far from it in my book. And I say that as someone who likes Jon Lucien very much. 

Rare Groove then?

Social source share

I first heard this on Richard Searling's radio show and ended up writing in to the show because he didn't announce who it was. It just blew me away, fantastic vocals....my kind of jazz, but so soulful..Nice.

I bought the album on Esoteric Records............ Anyone got any background on her?

Kev

Edited by stateside
Social source share

11 minutes ago, stateside said:

I first heard this on Richard Searling's radio show and ended up writing in to the show because he didn't announce who it was. It just blew me away, fantastic vocals....my kind of jazz, but so soulful..Nice.

I bought the album on Esoteric Records............ Anyone got any background on her?

Kev

......... AND ... you could pick up copies of the album in the UK back then for pence (Yanks, Mancaster I think). 

An 'Andy Whitmore' discovery if I'm not mistaken. Seem to recall Andy doing an article on Leslie in a soul fanzine back then. 

Edited by Roburt
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

23 hours ago, Russell Gilbert said:

Absolutely love this from British jazz musician, John Surman - 10 minutes of jazz dance pleasure! Well, wish I could dance to this sort of stuff in the style of the jazz dancers who thrived on the London scene in the 80s and 90s!

A total classic which goes mental half way through.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Early Morrisey Mullen, cut in the US with the AWB ..... 1977 ....... "Burst Fender" ..........

...... back in those days they were working with the likes of LVDross, Cissy Houston, Beverly Ingram, Arnold McCuller, David Laslee, etc .... not a bad bunch ....

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!