Just "one" song

Hi,

My very last Forum post as i am back to work Sunday :( think i have had far too much thinking time?

My favourite song ever, the one i will never ever get bored of (hopefully) is Neo Experience - Paradise.

I really do not know why?, i know there are lots of much better records around,  it holds no specific memories for me at all, its not really the style of soul i ever listen to and too fast for me to dance to but for some reason i have been listening it to it for years and years, i would say monthly at least???

Keeping it "soul" really" but any other folks have a record that they always go back to and have never ever tired of it? how ever much you hear it. Obviously it can be out of your normal listening criteria/comfort zone :) 

Just interested really and just for FUN :) again..................... can be a £2.50 record or a £10,000 record, can be really common or can be stupidly rare.

Just "One" song and reasons given will be nice to read if there are any.

• Up vote 1
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

1 minute ago, The Tempest said:

In a nutshell - it was a game changer from the beginning it was played at Stafford , spine tingling opening chords and the way he sings Deeper Deeper DEEPER ! Still puts hairs up on the back of my neck now after nearly 40 yrs ! The ultimate big beat ballad 

What a beautiful song, never heard it before - i can see why, voice certainly is spine tingling - Thankyou

Social source share

Funny me and the missus were talking on this exact subject the other day ,we have at our house nearly every sat night a soul night and tonight's is about this very issue.we get a bit worn out with the same old tunes so we've decided to play some tunes that no matter how many times we play them we still get blown away by them .GIL BERNAL ,this is worth fighting for.

ROY HAMILTON,let the music play .

These are my all time never get issed off spins 

• Up vote 3
Social source share

18 minutes ago, Soulsearch said:

Hi,

My very last Forum post as i am back to work Sunday :( think i have had far too much thinking time?

My favourite song ever, the one i will never ever get bored of (hopefully) is Neo Experience - Paradise.

I really do not know why?, i know there are lots of much better records around,  it holds no specific memories for me at all, its not really the style of soul i ever listen to and too fast for me to dance to but for some reason i have been listening it to it for years and years, i would say monthly at least???

Keeping it "soul" really" but any other folks have a record that they always go back to and have never ever tired of it? how ever much you hear it. Obviously it can be out of your normal listening criteria/comfort zone :) 

Just interested really and just for FUN :) again..................... can be a £2.50 record or a £10,000 record, can be really common or can be stupidly rare.

Just "One" song and reasons given will be nice to read if there are any.

Oh luv this tune, gotta get it sublime

• Up vote 1
Social source share

6 minutes ago, Stephen Houghton said:

Funny me and the missus were talking on this exact subject the other day ,we have at our house nearly every sat night a soul night and tonight's is about this very issue.we get a bit worn out with the same old tunes so we've decided to play some tunes that no matter how many times we play them we still get blown away by them .GIL BERNAL ,this is worth fighting for.

ROY HAMILTON,let the music play .

These are my all time never get issed off spins 

Yes, also not known to me - Beautiful :) 

• Thanks 1
Social source share

3 minutes ago, Skegsoul said:

After over 50 years of collecting soul records still my favourite 45 is Roosevelt mathews "got me digging you" on king.

Got a issue and a demo. Got a lot of records but this just does it for me 👍👍

And also not known to me? - Again, stunning i can see why :) 

Social source share

2 minutes ago, Dobber said:

This is by no means my absolute fave ever! But a tune that is very different from the norm,love the structure,the girls backing,and his voice! And i would love the 45 too! But i certainly always regard this in my top 10!

Again, stunning (again never heard) as all ones so far been and i can see why. But Neo Experience??? - very very different from others posted. Notice also all the tunes have amazing  "pitch" changes somewhere in the song too :) 

• Thanks 1
Social source share

7 minutes ago, Stephen Houghton said:

Wouldn't it be a bit different if we went to a soul doo and listened to these somewhere in the night ,as not to offend the police 

Yes true, but i am talking songs really that you'd love to hear anywhere and anytime home/out/car - Saying that, never heard neo experience at a doo - gosh, love to though :) 

• Thanks 1
Social source share

5 minutes ago, Simon T said:

i get bored very easily so most tunes are flavour of the minute rather the month, but never get tired of this one being on replay. it's got everything and more besides, best thing I've heard in decades

Hi Simon :) ,

Yes again, Love it - How obscure!! - Yes we ALL have "flavour of the moment tunes" but talking songs that are truly always go to songs even if you've not listened to a a few months - almost keep getting re-kindled ie true longevity  :) 

Social source share

12 minutes ago, Soulsearch said:

Hi Simon :) ,

Yes again, Love it - How obscure!! - Yes we ALL have "flavour of the moment tunes" but talking songs that are truly always go to songs even if you've not listened to a a few months - almost keep getting re-kindled ie true longevity  :) 

You've got more chance of getting a 100 copies of MDB than an original of this, thankfully  legally reissued. Not bad for a bunch of G.I.s gigging in their spare time on a German airebase!

Edited by Simon T
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

2 minutes ago, Simon T said:

You've got more chance of getting a 100 copies of MDB than an original of this, thankfully  legally reissued. Not bad for a bunch of G.I.s gigging in their spare time!

Couldn't work out MDB!! - did eventually LOL.  They were certainly "in the wrong job" - The re-issues not too cheap either? :) obviously a "tiny" home pressing for friends and family - good recording mind you!

Social source share

12 minutes ago, Soulsearch said:

Couldn't work out MDB!! - did eventually LOL.  They were certainly "in the wrong job" - The re-issues not too cheap either? :) obviously a "tiny" home pressing for friends and family - good recording mind you!

293682371842.jpg

A-3391209-1391424959-2580.jpeg.jpg

Edited by Simon T
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

12 minutes ago, Tomangoes said:

I'm sure everybody's list is a mile long...so the stand out tunes, in line with those above, off the beaten track may well be in that niche.

Comes and goes on play lists...but I always try and reach these notes, invariably failing. Welsh blood i'm afraid with English vocal chords:)

Enjoy.

Ed

Nice - well that's certainly a groove!!! - i reckon being in the rec studio with him would have been an experience - I always imagine that when i hear these tunes :) Thankyou

Social source share

16 minutes ago, Soulman58 said:

Hard to pick out one, as there are many from across the decades/styles, but I often end up playing Walter Jackson - Its An Uphill Climb To The Bottom no matter what else has been played that evening.  

Yes, beautiful track - have on a CD :) 

Social source share

8 minutes ago, Djr said:

Lately the tune I have been returning to is Sam Cooke's 'A Change Is Gonna Come'.

A few weeks ago I bought Walter Jackson "Its An Uphill Climb" 45 and its great, too.

Knew there would be some Walter Jacksons! lovely ("same" song for two posts) :) 

Social source share

7 hours ago, Djr said:

Lately the tune I have been returning to is Sam Cooke's 'A Change Is Gonna Come'.

A few weeks ago I bought Walter Jackson "Its An Uphill Climb" 45 and its great, too.

A Change is Gonna Come - So many versions of a true soul masterpiece but think I agree Sam's is the best.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

17 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

It doesn't get any better than this . Gilly. Andy. Thank you from the bottom of my heart ,its so moving and what you guys experienced OMG I can't even begin to guess. 

Hope you don't mind me posting this on here.

No, why would i?  :) 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

2 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

Sorry Ed but do it justice.  🤔  can it get any better than Johnny and her daughter singing it to you in their own home. Priceless 

Now Now, no fighting - meant to be a FUN! :) - Sort of agree though............................................

• Up vote 3
Social source share

6 minutes ago, Alison H said:

Mine is Holland-Dozier-Holland Why Can’t We Be Lovers … & it almost makes me cry every time I hear it (apart from at the end  when he starts talking cheesily 😂)  

The main reason (as well as being an insane song) Is that it reminds me of the early Southport Weekenders, where I spent some of the best days of life with the best of friends, some whom are no longer here 😞 .

It has always moved me & had me singing along but more so now in memory of those good times, late friends & one of the Promoters who sadly passed away only a few years back.  I feel I have to sing it in their honour now.

I actually heard it on Saturday morning while chatting away to my Dad. (I think he had Radio 2 on) I had to stop him mid conversation while I blurted out the song & swayed to it. He just looked at me gone mad lolol 

Oooh I just adore it …… the lyrics, the music, the vibe, the memories 🥰 It’s just pure class in my ears & eyes 😍

Ali x

P.S Sorry I’ve gone on a bit, but you did ask 😊

No, you didn't go on - an absolute classic for a good reason, love it to bits too. Thankyou :) 

• Thanks 1
Social source share

10 minutes ago, Alison H said:

Mine is Holland-Dozier-Holland Why Can’t We Be Lovers … & it almost makes me cry every time I hear it (apart from at the end  when he starts talking cheesily 😂)  

The main reason (as well as being an insane song) Is that it reminds me of the early Southport Weekenders, where I spent some of the best days of life with the best of friends, some whom are no longer here 😞 .

It has always moved me & had me singing along but more so now in memory of those good times, late friends & one of the Promoters who sadly passed away only a few years back.  I feel I have to sing it in their honour now.

I actually heard it on Saturday morning while chatting away to my Dad. (I think he had Radio 2 on) I had to stop him mid conversation while I blurted out the song & swayed to it. He just looked at me gone mad lolol 

Oooh I just adore it …… the lyrics, the music, the vibe, the memories 🥰 It’s just pure class in my ears & eyes 😍

Ali x

P.S Sorry I’ve gone on a bit, but you did ask 😊

Ali.  You going on a bit. 😱. Never 🤣🤣🤣

XX X 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

4 minutes ago, Soulfool said:

A brief dalliance in my youth club days and this is the record that got me into N/S, I was never really into the scene proper till the mid-90's and from the 70's to now, Milton Wright - "I Belong to You" is, and always will be, my most loved, played and listened to N/S record.

Personally I am 80% Modern, 10% Northern and 10% other. Never ever heard that one before and brand new to me. I'm presuming the same as "keep it up" Milton? - If so, completely different style and yes like it "alot" - Great song (for Northern) :) :) Thankyou for sharing!

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!