1950’s recordings played on the northern scene

Just been playing Richard Berry ‘Have love will travel’ and remember Roger Banks playing it out regularly late 90’s or so, Wilton etc

Got me thinking there can’t have been too many 1950’s records played on the northern scene - Nina Simone ‘my baby just cares for me’ one that springs to mind - any other examples?

• Up vote 2
Social source share

I used to play an instrumental by the Arthur Lyman Group Called "Taboo" on a UK 7' Vogue-Pop Promo

Released 1959, (Just squeezed in by a year) Played very early in my DJ Days At The Friendship Inn Keadby where i always used to do 1/2 slot of Instrumentals as a warm up for people coming through the doors  

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Chris Turnbull said:

1957 Nina Simone according to Wikipedia 

Where would that have been?

Cheers for Nina Simone info.

Heard Huey Smith & The Clowns being played here in East Anglia, heard it a few times and it got a release on Kent UK in 1983 so it would have been around that time. Peterborough, Norwich, Cambridge. 

huey smith-dont-you-just-know-it-kent.jpg

Edited by Soul-slider
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

2 hours ago, Chris Turnbull said:

Just been playing Richard Berry ‘Have love will travel’ and remember Roger Banks playing it out regularly late 90’s or so, Wilton etc

Got me thinking there can’t have been too many 1950’s records played on the northern scene - Nina Simone ‘my baby just cares for me’ one that springs to mind - any other examples?

If you limit it to the "classic" NS scene the list is rather short. But if you widen scope to incorporate the R&B/New Breed R&B scene the list is endless 😀

• Up vote 3
Social source share

The Drifters recording of White Christmas from 1954 was played at one of the 100 Club Christmas parties a few years ago. Must have been plenty of 50s records played when R&B was big 20 years ago. Drip Drop is played at most Northern nights here in Bury, and have heard Etta James' Wallflower (Roll With Me Henry) last year at one club where the guy who runs it plays a bit of R&B.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

As most of us are aware the Twisted Wheel early doors was an out and out R&B scene mainly frequented by Mods, it took 5 years before it became a venue for playing rare imports (or not so rare in some cases) are we to exclude our early pioneers from being part of the Northern Scene and rewrite history like the "Woke Brigade" I'm not saying we should start playing the early tracks just that they play a part in the history of Northern Soul. 

Kirsty 

• Up vote 3
Social source share

On 03/01/2022 at 22:16, Soul-slider said:

Cheers for Nina Simone info.

Heard Huey Smith & The Clowns being played here in East Anglia, heard it a few times and it got a release on Kent UK in 1983 so it would have been around that time. Peterborough, Norwich, Cambridge. 

huey smith-dont-you-just-know-it-kent.jpg

didnt know this made a Kent 'Town' single, I have it on orig, but I'd love it on Kent 45 like that... came out on Leedon Down-under..

How about:

Barrett Strong - Money (That's What I Want) / Tamla first issue

Richard Berry & The Pharaohs - Louie Louie    / Have Love will.... / Flip

Willie Mae "Big Mama" Thornton - Hound Dog / Peacock

Etta James & The Peaches  - The Wallflower (Roll With Me Henry) / Modern

6T's Rhythm 'N' Soul Society_In The Beginning.jpg

Edited by Mal C
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source