Jobettes on eBay

Dobber
Go to solution Solved by Tlscapital,

10 hours ago, Ladymidnight said:

Nowhere near 50 quid in recent times, I’m afraid. Two good sides appealing to different parts of the scene. That price is very high, though.

3 hours ago, Lionelonthevinyl said:

One on discogs m-.....$600.....what did it go for Lee?? Thank you...Rob

yeah it actually ended $842....im dumbfounded on every level!

• Up vote 2
Social source share

2 hours ago, Tlscapital said:

My 2 cents here the 'no explanation needed' side was first picked up on the northern front some 10 years ago as 'something obscure' and else (that's for sure) by some dee-jays without better not 'overplayed' tunes as it was still a fairly easy pick back then (got mine so). It's an OK record but never one that I find exiting to play home. As for out I would never have dared. Music is lazy and the vocals pushy to the limit of parable to me.

The under therapeutic obstinacy 'low rider' commercial boat (now sucked in by hipsterism and other similar almost Satanic cults - so clearly not the real-deal elder folks out there) is starting to seek deeper and deeper in some strange musical realms at times I find. Going for the odd small pressed-up runs of small labels records with deep pockets newcomers investors willing to 'splash' their money with arrogance anytime they can.

You know what - "It's an OK record but never one that I find exiting to play home" - really hit the nail on its head. I just thought to myself in all that maybe 15, 20 years I have (and love) said record..it never ever found its way into my always changing dj box. So yes, a good record but not good enough in teh sense that there are trillions of more outplay worthy tunes out there. Having said that and reading what others said about its flipside I will give THAT another close listening the next days. Must say I cant remember it. 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

3 hours ago, Tlscapital said:

My 2 cents here the 'no explanation needed' side was first picked up on the northern front some 10 years ago as 'something obscure' and else (that's for sure) by some dee-jays without better not 'overplayed' tunes as it was still a fairly easy pick back then (got mine so). It's an OK record but never one that I find exiting to play home. As for out I would never have dared. Music is lazy and the vocals pushy to the limit of parable to me.

The under therapeutic obstinacy 'low rider' commercial boat (now sucked in by hipsterism and other similar almost Satanic cults - so clearly not the real-deal elder folks out there) is starting to seek deeper and deeper in some strange musical realms at times I find. Going for the odd small pressed-up runs of small labels records with deep pockets newcomers investors willing to 'splash' their money with arrogance anytime they can.

I agree its jst an OK record but its been about a lot longer than 10 years, I played it out getting on 20 years ago and it was played before that

• Up vote 3
Social source share

OK sure I can believe it was Chalky. Thanks for correcting that then. But for value what back then ? Not worth much either as the few copies I remember seeing pre or just past 2000 were nowhere like "big" even for then.

As for the "better" flip-side 'what you gonna ado' if it has indeed a better potential. Yet quickly the song dwell into repetition to a bore and nothing else exciting follows up past the second verse after the intro. What a pity.

Typical of a project where only few good ideas were put together with plenty of nothing copycats gimmick stuffs added to fill in the gaps. A record that I kept on trying to love but never really could for both sides. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

41 minutes ago, Tlscapital said:

OK sure I can believe it was Chalky. Thanks for correcting that then. But for value what back then ? Not worth much either as the few copies I remember seeing pre or just past 2000 were nowhere like "big" even for then.

As for the "better" flip-side 'what you gonna ado' if it has indeed a better potential. Yet quickly the song dwell into repetition to a bore and nothing else exciting follows up past the second verse after the intro. What a pity.

Typical of a project where only few good ideas were put together with plenty of nothing copycats gimmick stuffs added to fill in the gaps. A record that I kept on trying to love but never really could for both sides. 

I got it pretty cheap off ebay, can't remember exactly what but it wasn't a lot. LIke I say I sold it for around 50 quid, maybe a bit more 3 or 4 years ago.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

I don't think too many folks who have collected slow harmony soul for any length of time would be surprized. simply because they have seen prices compleatly rocket, someone must have wanted it for 'what you gonna do', still a daft price for something thats never far from a listing. All that type of stuff Marvells' How could you hurt me so' Symphonies 'That's what love will do,' there are thousands of titles that have gone north of £500 from £50 in a very short time. You could buy  the great beat ballad byJean & Joe 'Youre all I need' on Dot before lockdown for less than £50 , bet that will go north of £300 pretty soon because there are so many people all over the joint looking for stuff like that , Either because it now has an over used and missused tag of low rider or they have finally woken up and realized that a good soul record does not have to be 90 miles an hour. 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

I'm a rather recent convert to the "lowrider" sound (must be an age thing 50+ 😉).

However I don't see any point in splashing out $$$$$ for these records. I just want to listen to them, don't need to own them. Guess this dick-waving one-upmanship transferred from Northern Soul 45 to Lowrider 45s.

Social source share

Have been loving my soul slow and moody ever since just like my dancer's ones. By now the difference is that when I play one people think that I've fallen into that 'low rider' 5 minutes fashion while I have such records for 35 years for example. As a long time crate digger I was always picking up gear to pass on too to get my wants.

So am I new to those sounds or records ? New to loving them ? No far from it. What is new is that it has taken anew interest in a general way rather than that of the smaller typical 'niche' market of the then "classic" deep-soul collectors, the harder to get around Japanese soul scene or the Jamaican's in Miami one of the then days.

What is new is with the rise of interest for that Chicanos 'low rider' hype, craze or trend (call it what you want)  is that these the prices suddenly followed the "work-out" of the northern soul one. That which is not right, good nor healthy. Why ? Because northern soul prices initially were made by dee-jays and then collectors ! 

Prior to the internet days these values were still rather "underground" and the northern soul market "protected" from other markets speculative approach. With articles on them records appearing on the public books stalls or with the dreaded northern soul prices guides began to appear it became less self regulated.

Now open to all sorts of speculations from the "antiques" market northern soul became very reactive to inflation for example. That which is a really unhealthy sign. Never that scene should have become so "liberal".  But with the "revival" of the late 9T's it all became evident that many came back with deep pockets and spirit.

Other split scenes coming from that seventies British realm followed like modern soul or deep-funk with that used same price/value systems given by both by dee-jays and collectors from the scene. But for those "deep-souls" suddenly breaking through the roof prices that are not related to a club scene of enthusiasts it is odd.

Or is it not ? Could anyone name me the famous dee-jays pushing it at this very moment explaining the suddenly boom in price. Or is it another example of young hipster comers on the collectors scene that need to give artificially these records high tag prices à la northern soul to give those a credential capitalistic  boost  ?

Social source share

Tops £100 pounds how it’s gone for that kind of money is absolute joke

crazy world of northern soul i suppose

On 24/12/2022 at 07:55, Markmodern said:

Got mine for I think 3 quid off Guy Hennigan years ago and can really only be described as average record

Totally agree nothing but average 

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/12/2022 at 08:13, Tlscapital said:

But for those "deep-souls" suddenly breaking through the roof prices that are not related to a club scene of enthusiasts it is odd.

Or is it not ? Could anyone name me the famous dee-jays pushing it at this very moment explaining the suddenly boom in price.

Don't think it revolves around clubs, but more get togethers with music playing - Ruben Molina is the DJ name I see most frequently relating to Lowrider Soul.

Social source share

5 hours ago, Cover-up said:

Don't think it revolves around clubs, but more get togethers with music playing - Ruben Molina is the DJ name I see most frequently relating to Lowrider Soul.

There are many forms of 'clubs' deviating from it's 'original' formal sense mind you. 'Get together' events are a form of 'club' if you will where these sounds are more and more tolerated at least if not cherished. Much more so than ever before hopefully. The 'Tarantino' effect 😉 But I doubt influential deejays if any are pushing it-up prices there.

My ironical question was is there a 'Butch' or such out there now pushing that Jobettes 'low rider' side out there explaining the sudden deejay 'guru' effect on that particular tune/record at the moment ? I believe not. And those 'real' American low riders collect and price their records differently than on the "northern soul" front. They don't have a John Manship 😋

Edited by Tlscapital
Social source share

6 hours ago, Weingarden said:

I think you guys have a hard time wrapping your mind around the idea that it's now more than ever before a worldwide collectors' market, with a world of tastes.

Absolutely right. But it is harder to keep up with what is "in" and what is "out" these days. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

7 hours ago, Weingarden said:

I think you guys have a hard time wrapping your mind around the idea that it's now more than ever before a worldwide collectors' market, with a world of tastes.

On my behalf I like to think that I am not 'stuck or stubborn' as such with my approach of the world in general. Being only 50 years old, from and living in Belgium I'm not in and from the UK northern soul scene for example. Meaning I evolved in the music and records realm always trying to figure it out regardless of my 'taste' or else.

For my defense my main "school" always went my ways and by ways (began with the Jamaican stuffs when it was still cheap). Yet the fact that northern soul odd collecting ways (outside of other type of "classical" collectors back then) with the deejays setting the prices (pushing tunes to become in demand) on some records that was only by coincidence co-existing as such on the Pop-Corn scene in Belgium (of which I am not part of) made it all exiting when it was still "underground" back then for crate diggers, collectors and punters.

Prior but mostly post Y2K the 'worldwide' influenza' officially commercializing northern soul (and other 6T'S and 7T's musical genres) for and with fortunate returnees and new, young and fresh deep pockets abroad 'distributed' all over the game of cards for old and new 'broken' records bringing it's share of "misery" with it.

The 'world' of tastes FWIW has always been there. Just as most of those guys from the Pop-Corn scene and Northern Soul couldn't figure what it is all about with the other scene still all those years after. And both these scenes have they're "laughed at" dreaded sounds. But that's true and typical for any 'in deep' musical scenes.

When known top sounds (stood the test of time if you will) that are rare enough to shoot up in price it brings a lot of comments naturally. But maybe for others like I it's an anxiety factor indicating another inflation factor on record's prices to come. When a known, not rare "collector's" sound reaches such inflating prices even more.

Social source share

8 hours ago, Weingarden said:

Yep far too many think the whole soul scene in general revolves round the UK.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

19 hours ago, Weingarden said:

It is and I wrote about it on here recently. 

However its still hard to fathom the prices being paid, when as I said there was one on Ebay a couple of years ago for $50 or so and nobody took it. 

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!