Northern Soul at fairgrounds

Go to solution Solved by Shinehead,

Al Capone was also a big fairground sound in the late sixties/ early seventies, great memories of the fair walking round the fair wearing Dr Martens, .Braces Fred Perry.and cropped hair  etc. with the music playing and the smells of the food vendors.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

I think some of the fairs in the Northwest were definitely playing to the growing NS crowd.

I remember loads of popular Motown of the time being played: Two Can Have A Party, Needle In Haystack, Wherever I Lay My Hat etc) but also Festival Time and stuff like The Kid and Condition Red, which sounded awesome coming out of the powerful, bassy systems.

The last two still trigger the sights, sounds and smells of the fairground whenever I hear them. 

• Up vote 3
Social source share

• 3 months later...

I'm obviously a bit older then the others posting on this thread. My fairground days were in 1964/65. The big sounds I recall getting played all the time back then were the Drifters "Under The Boardwalk" & "Come On Over To My Place" , Lee Dorsey's "Get Out My Life Woman", M & V's "Dancing In The Street" plus Cliff Bennett "One Way Love", Them's "Here Comes The Night" & "Baby Please Don't Go", Righteous Bros "Lovin Feeling" & Moody Blues "Go Now".

HullFair.jpg

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

I can give you twenty records right of the cuff that were played on the waltzer I worked on in 69 70 and 71 they were Boogaloo party, Flamingos, Going to a happening Tommy Neil, Breakout  Mitch Ryder,  Soulful dress Sugar pie de Santo,. She’ s looking good Wilson Picket version,Twsting the night away Sam Cooke, Question mark and the mysterions 96 tears, Eddie Floyd Knock n wood, Lee Dorsey Ride your pony, Chiffons He’s so fine, and Sweey talking guy,, Checkmates Proud Mary. Otis reading I can’t turn you Loose, Guns of Navorone, and Al Capone Prince buster, Roy C shotgun Wedding , Four Tops Sugar pie Honey bunch and Same old Song, Temptations Cloud nine , I can’t get next to you,  and Ball of confusion , could go on forever, Fantastic memories

KR

Mick L

• Up vote 3
Social source share

In the 80s do remember The Specials Enjoy Yourself, being played, while two girls battered the shiz out of each other, after an argument on the waltzers Ironically followed by Jocelyn Brown Somebody Elses Guy... Which apparently is what the fracas was about.

Social source share

On 31/05/2023 at 20:56, Paul R said:

Soul Sister Brown Sugar always reminds me of Pleasureland, Southport.

Paul

a mate of mine did the music for the fairground in southport  ( he also did mobile discos in southport, called SOUL LITE SOUNDS DISCO , his was GREAME BOOTHE ,) he sold lots of his British stock to LEVINE...

Social source share

There are old stories of soul records you could win at the fair, on the old tombolas up north in the 70s...  I remember someone saying that's how he got his  Bobby Wilson LP on Buddah, that person may be on here... Music that i recall at our local fair was generally chart R&B and most fairly decent, but certainly no sealed Bobbys to win sadly, although the guy who managed the ghost train could regale you with all the lyrics to  Sugarhill Hill Gangs Rappers Delight for 50p but was fked when asked to do the 15min version.

Edited by Tee D
Social source share

1 hour ago, Tee D said:

There are old stories of soul records you could win at the fair, on the old tombolas up north in the 70s...  I remember someone saying that's how he got his  Bobby Wilson LP on Buddah, that person may be on here... Music that i recall at our local fair was generally chart R&B and most fairly decent, but certainly no sealed Bobbys to win sadly, although the guy who managed the ghost train could regale you with all the lyrics to  Sugarhill Hill Gangs Rappers Delight for 50p but was fked when asked to do the 15min version.

Got this from the fair.

Social source share

I don't specifically remember any northern soul being played, not that I knew what it was in 1970 but back then Tighten up Vol 2 was played on a loop by the Octopus ride when the fair visited our small town. More recently, about 12 years ago, I was in Clacton and took my daughter on a ride which was playing some fabulous funky music. The ride operator told me the name after I enquired but my daughter's demands for an ice cream made me forget before I had a chance to write it in my phone . 

Social source share

When the fair came to Longford Park in Stretford late 60's early 70's, we always got The Showstoppers - House Party, Frankie Valli - You're Ready Now, The Drifters - Saturday Night at the Movies, Dave & Ansel Collins - Double Barrel, Roy C - Shotgun Wedding, Otis Redding - I Can't Turn You Loose, Booker T - Time is Tight, Wilson Pickett - Land of 1000 Dances. For a 12 year old, the sounds were absolutely captivating.

Social source share

I worked  on the Gaff in Knutsford every mayday from 73 for at least 3 years 2 songs soul wise that used to bang out on the speedway and the Whip were the Sharonettes papa ooh mow, and Dave & Ansell Collins Double Barrell ,i don't recall any Rare northern but Motown yes ,BUT GOD DID WE ENJOY THE RIDE ... 

Social source share

Here,s another 20 of the cuff, Marv Johnson Oh how I miss you baby, Donny elbert little piece of leather, Capitols cool jerk, James brown sex machine, Eddie Floyd things are getting better, Jonny Johnson breaking down the walls of heartache, Brenton Wood , gimme a little sign , Judy Clay William bell private number, Arthur Conway Sweet soul music , funky broadway, Joe benson n Peggy Scott dancing with the soul shake on, Edwin Starr War, Jimmy Ruffin Baby you’ve got it, Jackie Wilson higher n higher, Pj Proby Nick hokey,  Miracles goin to a go go, Chairman of the board , singing chairman f the board, Ben e king Amor, Tams hey girl don’t bother me, velvelletes needle in a haystack ,

I could go on forever

KR Mick L

1 minute ago, Hooker1951 said:

Here,s another 20 of the cuff, Marv Johnson Oh how I miss you baby, Donny elbert little piece of leather, Capitols cool jerk, James brown sex machine, Eddie Floyd things are getting better, Jonny Johnson breaking down the walls of heartache, Brenton Wood , gimme a little sign , Judy Clay William bell private number, Arthur Conway Sweet soul music , funky broadway, Joe benson n Peggy Scott dancing with the soul shake on, Edwin Starr War, Jimmy Ruffin Baby you’ve got it, Jackie Wilson higher n higher, Pj Proby Nick hokey,  Miracles goin to a go go, Chairman of the board , singing chairman f the board, Ben e king Amor, Tams hey girl don’t bother me, velvelletes needle in a haystack ,

I could go on forever

KR Mick L

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!