Rarest/valuable/Sought "modern" soul records out there?

More "rare groove" rather than "modern" perhaps? - I used to be the lucky owner of this then swapped it for it think Bobby Thurston Sweetest piece of the Pie LP (the reissue!!!!!) - Was young and foolish, must have been absolutely nuts but at the time, this record was just a record to me. Oh well!!

• Up vote 1
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Soul Salad said:

More "rare groove" rather than "modern" perhaps? - I used to be the lucky owner of this then swapped it for it think Bobby Thurston Sweetest piece of the Pie LP (the reissue!!!!!) - Was young and foolish, must have been absolutely nuts but at the time, this record was just a record to me. Oh well!!

Still got mine😊

Social source share

We The People - Ain't No Way / Magnetic South Records, made big waves quite recently, and it's brilliant!!  right up my street, anybody got one for sale?  still dont have a copy....

Oaxaca - Stop Your Crying, is very nice, on MARIPOSA Records, Ms. Victoria Barnes - Never Too Late, Morris - Can we melt the Ice, and Mojoba - I Know, all classics that dont turn up much.. 

This is a good one for this thread...no idea if they are the same bunch as the 'Detroit Leaning' on IPS,  I posted earlier, don't sound like it.. there is another grouop called 'Exit' on JAY Records, with 'Life is what you make it again', again dont sound the same, but they maybe.. anybody know?

• Up vote 2
Social source share

35 minutes ago, Mal C said:

We The People - Ain't No Way / Magnetic South Records, made big waves quite recently, and it's brilliant!!  right up my street, anybody got one for sale?  still dont have a copy....

Oaxaca - Stop Your Crying, is very nice, on MARIPOSA Records, Ms. Victoria Barnes - Never Too Late, Morris - Can we melt the Ice, and Mojoba - I Know, all classics that dont turn up much.. 

This is a good one for this thread...no idea if they are the same bunch as the 'Detroit Leaning' on IPS,  I posted earlier, don't sound like it.. there is another grouop called 'Exit' on JAY Records, with 'Life is what you make it again', again dont sound the same, but they maybe.. anybody know?

Good calls, We the People escaped me, right up my street too? - I want one as well - Anyone?

Social source share

On 02/01/2024 at 16:16, Jessie Pinkman said:

Fluorescent Smogg is one that's near impossible to find out in the wild. 

I never quite got the buzz around this record when it starting getting plays? - but know it's a loved record but i won't upset anyone as I'm sure nobody actually, has it? - or do they?, yes super-duper rare!

Social source share

Don't want to shoulder in too much, but what do folks think of this one?

early 7ts track, its goes for money, and is I guess a rare one... think the writer had a bag of marbles in his pocket when he wrote it...

Social source share

On 03/01/2024 at 12:25, Rick Scott said:

Wow! I'm Gob smacked, Just seen a copy up on Discogs seller in Spain Asking £3.907.47 for a copy,(fabulous play mates) didn't know it was selling for that price, knew it was rare but....... The Bog Mindles

It doesn't sell for that much.

Social source share

On 04/01/2024 at 12:49, Soul Salad said:

I feel your pain.

Social source share

1 minute ago, Arthur Fenn said:

Fab Playmates is pretty tough, i had just 2 copies off one of the band members in 1990 but this is just pure fantasy at £3K & more 

Err 3.9K LOL, mentioned before, always been a tough one, but as a few members on here have said recently "testing the water" with those in demand records ie chancers - but saying that I've not seen another for sale for a good few years though. B sides great too - i won't be buying one🙄

Social source share

34 minutes ago, Jamesh said:

I've been hunting for a copy of Florence Trapp Love came into my life for nigh on 40 years and not come close

Yep, i gave up, forgotten that one - i see they haven't found a 200 box count since i gave up looking then - Sometimes with these records i wonder if they ever even got a release? i know of nobody who has this or ever seen it - Butch probably has it though LOL

• Thanks 1
Social source share

On 04/01/2024 at 16:14, Mal C said:

Hi Mal, this was played at Soul Essence mid 2000s. Where is it getting spun? 

Social source share

7 minutes ago, Steve G said:

Hi Mal, this was played at Soul Essence mid 2000s. Where is it getting spun? 

Hey Steve, hope you are well.  I'm referring to collectors, not soul nights, I don't go to events any longer. I could not tell you anything about any 'Scene' today.  But John Manship had a copy on Auction a while back, maybe a 8-9 months ago, something like that, about the same time I read that 'The Numbers - Got To Pull Away' was getting spins, and I know that as it 'We The People' was new to quite a few, me included, it made a stir... lot of folks after it, any copies on Discogs etc, they all sold pretty immediately..

I still need a copy 😞

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 05/01/2024 at 16:25, Arthur Fenn said:

Fab Playmates is pretty tough, i had just 2 copies off one of the band members in 1990 but this is just pure fantasy at £3K & more 

Agree but it is rare as in less than 400 copies ?

1000 for a mint copy maybe ?

Cheers Paul

Social source share

On 05/01/2024 at 16:37, Soul Salad said:

Yep, i gave up, forgotten that one - i see they haven't found a 200 box count since i gave up looking then - Sometimes with these records i wonder if they ever even got a release? i know of nobody who has this or ever seen it - Butch probably has it though LOL

Dave Thorley has one, i know of about 4 copies, rare indeed 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 03/01/2024 at 14:57, Mal C said:

Wow, really... it doent strike me as a Wigan spin, but then I was told Russ was also responsible for The Blues Busters - Love is the Answer, amongst others of course, which gets big thumbs up from me... 🙂

I have a Russ's records list from around 1977 which lists this... Wish I had bought then... Bought much later for 20x that price and since sold on. Another one I wish I had not sold.

Social source share

The "7 Miles Per Hour Band" is a one Richard Searling used to play in the 80's. I bought a 7" 45rpm copy then from John Anderson at Soul Bowl. Turned out to be a rare record and one that's hardly ever seen for sale.

The 45rpm is a shorter time than this sound clip I found on you tube.

Edited by Solidsoul
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

21 hours ago, Solidsoul said:

This one Richard Searling used to play in the 80's. I bought a 7" 45rpm copy then from John Anderson at Soul Bowl. Turned out to be a rare record and one that's hardly ever seen for sale.

The 45rpm is a shorter time than this sound clip I found on you tube.

That's ace!

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Mal C said:

and this crossover collectable, sounds earlier, but says 81 on the label 🙂 also La'fez - No Matter, on MJW

Sweet Pearl is a lovely track Malc. 

My memory seems to recall some nice tracks by a group Black Pearl, but I could be mistaken there.

Peter

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!