1 Record 2 Great Sides But Different Styles

Blake H

Many great double siders of the same style but whats your favorite double sider of different styles? Two of my faves are

Len Jewell....All My Good Lovin' (Northern) and The Elevator Song (X-over) Pzazz

Sam Nesbit...Black Mother Goose/ Chase Those Clouds Away Amos

Loads of styles to choose from deep,funk ballads etc so whats yours?

Blake

Social source share

• Replies 78
  • Views 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Cookie Scott - I Don't Care/Mislead

Bessie Banks - Don't You Worry Baby/Try To Leave Me If You Can

Towanna - Wear Your Natural Baby/Help Me Get That Feeling

can you tell I like the ladeez cool.gif

Social source share

Here's some of my fav's,

Jesse James - if you want a love affair/I never meant to love her

Betty LaVette - you made a believer out of me/thank you for loving me

Solid Gold Revue feat Ray Crumley - she's so good/come let me love you

See you by the pool in Rimini, Blake.

John.

Social source share

SO SO MANY HERES A FEW FROM MY COLLECTION I LOVE BOTH SIDES

ROETATION-SPECIAL CATEGORY-OLD LOVE -GERIM

CHARLES CC CARLSON-NOT TO BLAME-DONT WANT TO SIT DOWN-BOLD

FUNDAMENTALS-WOULDNT BLAME YOU-LET ME SHOW IT TO YOU-OKEH

C ALEXANDER AND NATURAL 3 -PAY THEM NO MIND-SOMETHING SPECIAL-GUYJIM

EDDIE PARKER-NEED A TRUE LOVE-CRYING CLOWN-TRIBLE B

TRIUMPHS-COMING TO YOUR RESCUE-WORLD OWES ME A LOVING-OKEH

JOHNNY ROBINSON-GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTON-I NEED YOUR LOVE SO BAD-OKEH

COULD GO ON ALL DAY. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Was after examples of two totally different styles on one 45 ie Johnny Dynamite...The night the angels cried B/W Everybodys clown, Mineret :thumbsup:

Blake

I would have said the Four Pro's..were different styles

a fast dancer...and a steady shufler

Bazza

Social source share

I would have said the Four Pro's..were different styles

a fast dancer...and a steady shufler

Bazza

:thumbsup: ....you beat me to it Bazza......fast and furious/sublime midpacer....

Social source share

Many great double siders of the same style but whats your favorite double sider of different styles? Two of my faves are

Len Jewell....All My Good Lovin' (Northern) and The Elevator Song (X-over) Pzazz

Sam Nesbit...Black Mother Goose/ Chase Those Clouds Away Amos

Blake

Bobby Hill - To the Bitter End and Tell Me You Love Me

Chuck Bernard My Baby and She's Already Married

Billy Sha-Rae Do it and Crying Clown

Moses Smith Come On Let Me Love You and Keep On Striving

BazM

Social source share

Guest lotusland

Herman Hitson - You Can't Keep a Good Man Down (70s soul) / Ain't no Other Way (heavy funk dancer) SWEET ROSE.

Best 2 sider in my box i think.

Social source share

Many great double siders of the same style but whats your favorite double sider of different styles?

Blake

how's about:

Fred Paris on Green Sea

I can really satisfy - bouncy high pitched pop-soul tune and on the flip ......

I'll be hangin on - moody mid tempo belly acher

hard to believe its the same fella imo. but i have to say that i love both sides. so its a win-win for me.

and it's CHEAP !!!!

martin.

Social source share

Since it's Blake who started this off, here's one for you:

Bettye Swann - Time to say goodbye / When the game is played on you - Atlantic

Plus:

Melvin Davis - You made me over / I'm worried - Invictus

Jean Plum - You ask me / Pour on the loving - Hi

Na Allen - Open the door to your heart / I was telling her about you - Janus

Smoke - I'm so lonely - Have I really lost you - J Bridge

Jean Battle - Unsatisfied woman / I've got to come in - Clintone

Bill Brandon - Streets got my lady / Tag Tag - Piedmont

Otis Clay - Baby Jane / You hurt me for the last time - Dakar

Phil Flowers - Discontented / Cry on my shoulder - Dot

Barbara Hall - You brought it on yourself / Drop my heart off - IR Innovation III

Just Brothers - Sliced Tomatoes / You got the love to make me over - Music Merchant

Shirley Karol - Just to make you happy / You don't want me anymore - Dakar

Ben E King - Cry no more / No place to hide - Atco

Denise La Salle - Countdown / A promise is a promise - Chess

Barbara Lynn - Until then I'll suffer / Take your love and run - Atlantic

Barbara Mason - Yes I'm ready / Keep him - Arctic

Masqueraders - I'm just an average guy / I ain't gonna stop - AGP

Jeannie Reynolds - The fruit song / Hit & run - Casablanca

Lisa Richards - Mean old world / Let's take a chance - Jovial

Rotations - If I could be like Columbus / Don't ever leave me girl - Lawton

Ann Sexton - I'm his wife / You've got to use what you got - SS7

Stairsteps - Little young lover / Baby make me feel so good - Curtom

Debbie Taylor - I have learned to do without you / Cheaper in the long run - Polydor

Tammi Terrell - This old heart of mine / Just too much to hope for - Motown

Mary Wells - Dear lover / Can't you see you're losing me - Atco

Whispers - Seems like I've gotta do wrong / Needle in a haystack - Soul Clock

Al Wilson - I've got a feeling / Be concerned - Playboy

Jackie Wilson - Just as soon as the feeling's over / It only happens - Brunswick

There's loads more of course! but that's enough from me for now -I hope this is more like what you meant Blake? :thumbsup::)unsure.gif

Social source share

Since it's Blake who started this off, here's one for you:

Bettye Swann - Time to say goodbye / When the game is played on you - Atlantic

Plus:

Melvin Davis - You made me over / I'm worried - Invictus

Jean Plum - You ask me / Pour on the loving - Hi

Na Allen - Open the door to your heart / I was telling her about you - Janus

Smoke - I'm so lonely - Have I really lost you - J Bridge

Jean Battle - Unsatisfied woman / I've got to come in - Clintone

Bill Brandon - Streets got my lady / Tag Tag - Piedmont

Otis Clay - Baby Jane / You hurt me for the last time - Dakar

Phil Flowers - Discontented / Cry on my shoulder - Dot

Barbara Hall - You brought it on yourself / Drop my heart off - IR Innovation III

Just Brothers - Sliced Tomatoes / You got the love to make me over - Music Merchant

Shirley Karol - Just to make you happy / You don't want me anymore - Dakar

Ben E King - Cry no more / No place to hide - Atco

Denise La Salle - Countdown / A promise is a promise - Chess

Barbara Lynn - Until then I'll suffer / Take your love and run - Atlantic

Barbara Mason - Yes I'm ready / Keep him - Arctic

Masqueraders - I'm just an average guy / I ain't gonna stop - AGP

Jeannie Reynolds - The fruit song / Hit & run - Casablanca

Lisa Richards - Mean old world / Let's take a chance - Jovial

Rotations - If I could be like Columbus / Don't ever leave me girl - Lawton

Ann Sexton - I'm his wife / You've got to use what you got - SS7

Stairsteps - Little young lover / Baby make me feel so good - Curtom

Debbie Taylor - I have learned to do without you / Cheaper in the long run - Polydor

Tammi Terrell - This old heart of mine / Just too much to hope for - Motown

Mary Wells - Dear lover / Can't you see you're losing me - Atco

Whispers - Seems like I've gotta do wrong / Needle in a haystack - Soul Clock

Al Wilson - I've got a feeling / Be concerned - Playboy

Jackie Wilson - Just as soon as the feeling's over / It only happens - Brunswick

There's loads more of course! but that's enough from me for now -I hope this is more like what you meant Blake? :):Punsure.gif

Question on one of those John, have you (or anyone) seen the Rotations on Law-Ton with a different flip, instead of 'Columbus' ??? Sold one years ago and I recall the buyer saying that he was really pleased to have found the one with the alternate flip. I've yet to see another and i'm beginning to wonder if I didn't dream it :thumbsup::)

Girf

Social source share

Loads of 'em Blake (as we can see from John's list) but first one that springs to mind for me is Tyrone Davis "Turn Back the Hands Of Time" backed with the marvellous "I Keep Coming Back".

Also, a big fan of Spencer Wiggins "Take Time To Love Your Woman" and the deep as you can go flip "I Can't Be Satisfied".

Soul Perfection!

thumbsup.gif

Sean

Social source share

Guest Awake 502

Sam Dees "Just out of my reach" / "I'm so very glad"

Awesome deep soul track, flip it for a great dancer that I have never heard played out....

Social source share

Sam Dees "Just out of my reach" / "I'm so very glad"

Awesome deep soul track, flip it for a great dancer that I have never heard played out....

caesars - girl I miss you / desparate for your affection - lanie

lovers - without a doubt / one way to love - frantic

ringleaders - baby what has happened to our love / let's start over - mpac

Social source share

Question on one of those John, have you (or anyone) seen the Rotations on Law-Ton with a different flip, instead of 'Columbus' ??? Sold one years ago and I recall the buyer saying that he was really pleased to have found the one with the alternate flip. I've yet to see another and i'm beginning to wonder if I didn't dream it sleep3.gif:no:

Girf

by any chance was the other song called 'we want freedom'? are you sure it was on law-ton and not on another label?

Social source share

by any chance was the other song called 'we want freedom'? are you sure it was on law-ton and not on another label?

100% on Lawton...I had priced it and listed it for 'Don't Ever Hurt Me Girl' and the buyer flipped it and played the other side to me once he'd bought it. I went home and fished my own copy out and it had 'Columbus' on the flip and didn't sound anything like what he'd played to me.......???? Perplexed !!!!

Girf

Social source share

Guest Marcus B

100% on Lawton...I had priced it and listed it for 'Don't Ever Hurt Me Girl' and the buyer flipped it and played the other side to me once he'd bought it. I went home and fished my own copy out and it had 'Columbus' on the flip and didn't sound anything like what he'd played to me.......???? Perplexed !!!!

Girf

#

Girth,

I actually bought the Rotations for the 'If I Could Be Like Columbus Where Would We Be' track and good ole Binsy suggested to play the flip. Glad I did.

Not come across the 'We Want Freedom ' as been on wants list for a few years now. (Although it's now available on 'Soulful Thangs vol 6' - cd baby). Always reminds me of like a record recorded after a few drinks in a pub. ! Fantastic.

Marcus

:wicked:

Social source share

Guest Johnny Mack

Too many to mention, but the ones that immediately spring to mind are :

* the releases by Houston Outlaws on Westbound - sweet soul or crossover on one side and the heaviest wildest low down electronic funk you're ever gonna here on the other !!!

* releases by the Fabulous Moonlighters on Blue Eagle - funk or northern on one side and great, great, sweet soul ballads on the other

* Mary Love's fantastic two sider on Elco - sister funk on one side and a deep ballad to die for on the other

Love these kind of records - two for the price of one !!!!!!

:wicked:

Social source share

• 2 months later...

* Mary Love's fantastic two sider on Elco - sister funk on one side and a deep ballad to die for on the other

Aha... rarely see this one getting a mention.

A great double sider... though I think quite scarce.

The guy that ran the Drugstore near Mary's home put this out on her, cos she was without a recording deal at the time and while chatting at the counter he agreed to start a label.... just for this one release (I believe).

Any idea what it goes for these days?

Sean

Social source share

Guest Johnny Mack

Sean,

Seen this go through E Bay around the $200 mark but have seen it higher on Craig Moerers list. Two differing but equally great sides.

Another one which falls into much the same category (sister funk/great deep soul) is Josephine Taylor's Twinight 45 - love these 45 where you get two for the price of one !

Currently playing Lindell Hill's 45 on Arch - great soul !

Take care

John

The guy that ran the Drugstore near Mary's home put this out on her, cos she was without a recording deal at the time and while chatting at the counter he agreed to start a label.... just for this one release (I believe).

Sean

Social source share

Loads of 'em Blake (as we can see from John's list) but first one that springs to mind for me is Tyrone Davis "Turn Back the Hands Of Time" backed with the marvellous "I Keep Coming Back".

Also, a big fan of Spencer Wiggins "Take Time To Love Your Woman" and the deep as you can go flip "I Can't Be Satisfied".

Soul Perfection!

:thumbsup:

Sean

this is terrific good choice.

5 from me.

Innersouls "take your time / thoughts" Plemmons

Walter B "Before I fall in love / mans way of life" Sunshine

Lon Rogers "My girl is a soul girl / too good to be true" Ramco

Barbara Hall "Big man / broken hearted" Tuska

Buddy Cantrell "Ain't no good / why did you leave me ?" Tuska which leads appropiatelyt to WHY did I sell this :lol::P:lol: grrr.......

Social source share

Sean

dont think i've ever seen it go as cheap as $200 sean, would say £250 is a fair price these days...and for my money i'd choose ray frazier & shades of madness on stanson "i who have nothing" (one of the best deep funk tunes) flipped with "loneliness" (great crossover) :thumbsup:

Edited by wrighty
Social source share

Girf

"We want Freedom" wasn't on Lawton I'm sorry to say. It never got beyond a promo release that didn't get promoted by Manny (EDDIE) Campbell. BTW this is the same man behind Tierra and also Nurons :thumbsup:

Social source share

dont think i've ever seen it go as cheap as $200 sean, would say £250 is a fair price these days...and for my money i'd choose ray frazier & shades of madness on stanson "i who have nothing" (one of the best deep funk tunes) flipped with "loneliness" (great crossover) :thumbsup:

Many thanks, John & Mr Wright.

Must say I've not seen it very often... at any price, but do recall Craig having one on for £300+ years ago.

Got my copy for 10p in Telford back in the 70's, so I guess even with rampant inflation in the 80's I done pretty good!

:lol:

Sean

Social source share

Guest topcatnumpty1

Hi Blake and Nicky(got some great pics of you 2 from the Cellar ,AND tHE jUNCTION) how,s about this

Frankie (Larry) Saunders---Blues time in Birmingham(sublime southern soul ) and flipped with

Take another look( ace crossover)

Juana 1973.

N.b r u both at Kev,s do at Bishopthorpe Club on SAT with the Orwell crew.

Tony and Rani

Got your numpty clipping!!!

Social source share

Hi Blake and Nicky(got some great pics of you 2 from the Cellar ,AND tHE jUNCTION) how,s about this

Frankie (Larry) Saunders---Blues time in Birmingham(sublime southern soul ) and flipped with

Take another look( ace crossover)

The thing that puzzles me about this record is the "local" release on Sho-Me apart from the different artist name, is that it's publish/copyright date is 1982, whereas the Juana copy states 1981.

Was the song originally sold to Juana before the release on Sho-Me and then released on Juana after good local sales?

Social source share

"We want Freedom" wasn't on Lawton I'm sorry to say. It never got beyond a promo release that didn't get promoted by Manny (EDDIE) Campbell. BTW this is the same man behind Tierra and also Nurons :P

I seem to recall seeing Dave Halsall's copy and the label being "Emandolyn" - does that sound about right?

Don't know about an alternate flip to the Lawton 45 - be interesting if anyone knows more though.

Edited by John Benson
Social source share

I seem to recall seeing Dave Halsall's copy and the label being "Emandolyn" - does that sound about right?

Don't know about an alternate flip to the Lawton 45 - be interesting if anyone knows more though.

Hey John, your last played clip "The Magic Is Gone" is my old Sunny & The Sunliners cover up (Bradford Queens Hall days).

Must have taped it for you nearly 25 years ago?

Wierd huh!

Think I'd have a seizure if I tried to shake a leg to it nowadays!

:P

Sean

Edited by Sean Hampsey
Social source share

There's loads for me, but as I've been reading this thread a real cracker popped into my head, so here's my choice of the moment:

The Exits with 'Another Sundown in Watts' and on t'other side the beautiful, majestic (yes it's that good!) 'I'm So Glad'.....what a vocalist is Jimmy Conwell....love his voice.....give this one a listen and hear Jimmy pouring out the love for his girl from his aching heart......going to the fade his phrasing is wonderful....hey, but that's just me :P .... one aspect of my kind of soul, from a boss group....

A question...did the Exits ever go on the road or were they a studio band.....also wondered if the personel consisted of Jimmy Conwell, Hank Graham, Godoy Colbert and Len Jewell....as they are very much involved in the writing/producing of the Exits output.......would be good if they were....a boss group indeed.....anybody?

Cheers....Derek

Social source share

Yep that's right - he got I think 15-20 copies of it from Campbell and dished them out to his mates :P It's one that never turns up, and in fairness doesn't get played enough. Steve

Social source share

LITTLE HERMAN - "I'M GONNA PUT THE HURT ON YOU"/"GOTTA KEEP ON WALKING (ARLEN) 2 TOP TUNES, (a) R&B (cool.gif UPTEMPO 60'S

THE CHANNELS - "I'VE GOT MY EYES ON YOU"/"ANYTHING FOR YOU" (GROOVE) 2 TOP TUNES, (a) MIDTEMPO FLOATER (cool.gif UPTEMPO STORMER

Edited by Soulfool
Social source share

Nice link with these three gems, which fall into the two great sides but different styles camp.

Sonny Craver - I'm No Fool B/W I Wanna Thank You - Teri De 007

Gody Colbert - Baby I Like It B/W I Wanna Thank You - Revue 11037

Hard to pick a winner of 'I Wanna Thank You' for me Sonny Craver just has the edge but two great versions and of course the next one holds the same backing track as 'Baby I Like It'.......

Len Jewell - All My Good Lovin' (Is Going To Waste) B/W the sublime 'The Elevator Song' Pzazz 050

Len Jewell productions...well the man was a master in my book.

Regards - Mark Bicknell

Edited by Mark Bicknell
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert