Suspicion - Detroit Prophets / Originals

Earlier this evening on Trinny & Susannah they had Suspicion by the Originals playing as background music. Anyway not having heard it for a while, just reminded me of hearing the Detroit Prophets version that I used to hear at scooter runs back in the 80's.

I seem to recall that I read somewhere that The Detroit Prophets version was actually just The Originals speeded up. Was this the case? Also did the track ever get a legitimate release on vinyl?

Social source share

• Replies 88
  • Views 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Earlier this evening on Trinny & Susannah they had Suspicion by the Originals playing as background music. Anyway not having heard it for a while, just reminded me of hearing the Detroit Prophets version that I used to hear at scooter runs back in the 80's.

I seem to recall that I read somewhere that The Detroit Prophets version was actually just The Originals speeded up. Was this the case? Also did the track ever get a legitimate release on vinyl?

It was booted on a UK single as the Detroit Prophets in the 80's which was a tad faster than the original recording as it came of the casettes that were doing the rounds (I think Eddie Holman's 'wanted' was on the other side)

Social source share

There's three - possibly 4 versions - the best by far is the one that was booted as the Detroit Prophets. I think subsequent cd issues have used different takes. OH and of course the instrumnetal version turned up as well.

Hello,

There were indeed 4 versions - the "Original" back in the late 70's - a guitar based version that to this day has never been released, the CK Cd from about 10 years ago, and the more recent "reissue" on Soul (this has the Inst on the back).

It sounds to me that the instrumental is not any original backing, but a modern day re-recording.

Cheers

Mick

https://northern-soul-records.com

Social source share

• 4 years later...

They are one and the same this record was never released but the tape was snuck out of the Motown vaults by a certain

member of the Jackson family and given to a Mr Dave Withers who as far as I know had two discs cut(one went to Kieth Brady)prior to Motown politely requesting all material belonging to them be returned OR ELSE! Chris King then I believe

bootlegged the record look at the label it tells a story

Social source share

Tom DePierro and I "discovered" "Suspicion" first in 1977 on an acetate (Jobete Music reference acetate (different from the one scanned above)) while perusing The Motown Vaults for candidate songs for a proposed Motown vinyl unreleased albums series _"From The Vaults". I had it on tape (1st generation off the acetate) at home (along with many other cuts)). I played them for Rod Shard in 1980. He must have told Dave W. to see if he could get a tape directly from the source, which prompted the latter's trip to Motown's offices.

The album project ended up with only the one album (released in 1979), as the first one sold virtually none retail, having no marketing push, and being releases on Motown's budget LP line, "Natural resources". So, we were unable to get the Originals' songs out. The Bosses wanted only the main, popular Motown groups on the first album, for best name recognition. We were lucky to get a Spinners and a Monitors cut on it. "Suspicion", and most of the Motown Vault cuts that were booted in UK and played on The Northern Scene in the early 1980s had already been slated by us for release on the proposed future "From The Vaults" albums.

Edited by RobbK
Social source share

So, can we accurately say how many original acetates of this tune are in existence or are likely to exist ?

And is anyone aware if any have ever been sold on ebay, or through lists ?

What would be the current market value of one of the original acetates?

Edited by sunnysoul
Social source share

So, can we accurately say how many original acetates of this tune are in existence or are likely to exist ?

And is anyone aware if any have ever been sold on ebay, or through lists ?

What would be the current market value of one of the original acetates?

I've heard at least 3 versions of that song, with 2 different vocals two different instrumental versions, and the third one a different mix of one of those 2 different instrumentals. The interesting thing is that, in my opinion, Motown chose the weaker of the two versions to release on CD (on "Cellarful of Motown"). The version sitting on You-Tube now, is NOT the version Rod took back to UK in the early 1980s. He took the better one, and I believe it was the better one that was played on The Northern Scene and was booted then. I believe the version on You-Tube is the one released on the legit CD, and was "discovered" when its acetate was auctioned off. I assume that all three master tapes are still in The Vaults, andthat was the source of the CD recording.

Social source share

They are one and the same this record was never released but the tape was snuck out of the Motown vaults by a certain

member of the Jackson family and given to a Mr Dave Withers who as far as I know had two discs cut(one went to Kieth Brady)prior to Motown politely requesting all material belonging to them be returned OR ELSE! Chris King then I believe

bootlegged the record look at the label it tells a story

I have no idea who you are but this is complete bollocks.

Bob,

You're either up late or early?

I'd ignore Tatty's post. He's made it up.

As you alluded to we were in your flat,I having made a spiffing job of cleaning up your kitchen and now relaxing [it's not all glamour and excitement], and listening to a tape when Temptations " Come on Back..." / "Forever in..." came on.

Intrigued, I asked you what it was and then the whole story about you and Tom's research for the "Vaults" album came out. I think you found a couple more tracks on tape including "Suspicion" but was unable to access any others at the time because the tape collection was in similar disarray to the kitchen [which I hope you're keeping tidy] Obviously perfect for NS scene and you then compiled a tape and sent it to me and I got acetates cut somewhere in Birmingham [interestingly by the guy who then put out that Maisonettes record which sounded awfully like a re-working of the instr track to "In the neighbourhood"]. The second tape with "Lonely lover" was a bit later

At the time I didn't have any idea original acetates existed and wasn't that bothered as I assumed most were off reel-to-reel tapes. No idea there were different versions of "Suspicion" either. I do have a recollection though of some LA dealer getting some acetates maybe from Tom but I can't remember his name.

Another folktale going around is that we speeded some of the tracks, and specifically "Suspicion", up somehow. As I wouldn't have the first clue how to do that Im assuming your cassette player was on the blink or now from your post that the version on tape was faster than others.

Of course we had nothing to do with booting anything nor were Motown breathing down our necks as Tatty suggests. The first "boots" I recall were on an LP that was available here. I read on here that John Manship got the tracks off Bob Cattaneo. You would know more about that than me as assume you and Tom knew him. I had met BC a couple of times but he didn't get tapes off me. He did have a lovely smart kitchen though.

ROD

Edited by modernsoulsucks
Social source share

I knew Bob Cattaneo, and he was a big Motown collector, in addition to an serious R&B collector. But, I didn't know that Tom dealt with him. I thought Soussain got some acetates from someone inside Motown, but I didn't think that person was Tom. But, I was living mainly in The Netherlands then (as I still am -well, only 1/2 year now), so I didn't know what Tom was doing a lot of the time. I don't want to speculate on how all those acetates (from The Vaults), plus all the really rare Motown 45s left Motown(Frank Wilson, Andantes, etc.) (many were lifted out of The Motown and Jobete Record Files). But, I had no part in any of that.

By the way, I don't live in that flat in L.A. anymore, that I kept for 32 years (spending only about 1/3 of the time there).

Social source share

I've heard at least 3 versions of that song, with 2 different vocals two different instrumental versions, and the third one a different mix of one of those 2 different instrumentals. The interesting thing is that, in my opinion, Motown chose the weaker of the two versions to release on CD (on "Cellarful of Motown"). The version sitting on You-Tube now, is NOT the version Rod took back to UK in the early 1980s. He took the better one, and I believe it was the better one that was played on The Northern Scene and was booted then. I believe the version on You-Tube is the one released on the legit CD, and was "discovered" when its acetate was auctioned off. I assume that all three master tapes are still in The Vaults, andthat was the source of the CD recording.

Have you heard the take that sounds like late 60's early 70s, slightly funky(?), wah wah guitar effects or summit like etc. Not as good as the straight 60's takes but an interesting take all the same. Simon T put up a Suspicion mix in refosoul that has 3 or 4 takes in it, unfortunately can't listen just yet.

Social source share

I have no idea who you are but this is complete bollocks. Bob, You're either up late or early? I'd ignore Tatty's post. He's made it up. As you alluded to we were in your flat,I having made a spiffing job of cleaning up your kitchen and now relaxing [it's not all glamour and excitement], and listening to a tape when Temptations " Come on Back..." / "Forever in..." came on. Intrigued, I asked you what it was and then the whole story about you and Tom's research for the "Vaults" album came out. I think you found a couple more tracks on tape including "Suspicion" but was unable to access any others at the time because the tape collection was in similar disarray to the kitchen [which I hope you're keeping tidy] Obviously perfect for NS scene and you then compiled a tape and sent it to me and I got acetates cut somewhere in Birmingham [interestingly by the guy who then put out that Maisonettes record which sounded awfully like a re-working of the instr track to "In the neighbourhood"]. The second tape with "Lonely lover" was a bit later At the time I didn't have any idea original acetates existed and wasn't that bothered as I assumed most were off reel-to-reel tapes. No idea there were different versions of "Suspicion" either. I do have a recollection though of some LA dealer getting some acetates maybe from Tom but I can't remember his name. Another folktale going around is that we speeded some of the tracks, and specifically "Suspicion", up somehow. As I wouldn't have the first clue how to do that Im assuming your cassette player was on the blink or now from your post that the version on tape was faster than others. Of course we had nothing to do with booting anything nor were Motown breathing down our necks as Tatty suggests. The first "boots" I recall were on an LP that was available here. I read on here that John Manship got the tracks off Bob Cattaneo. You would know more about that than me as assume you and Tom knew him. I had met BC a couple of times but he didn't get tapes off me. He did have a lovely smart kitchen though. ROD

What year would this be Rod exactly and what else was on the tape?

Social source share

What year would this be Rod exactly and what else was on the tape?

Bob says 1980 which I think is about right but it may have been '81. I think if he measures the build-up of dust in his kitchen and bastardizes dendrochronology techniques he should come up with the exact day and month.

All I know is that by the time Bob had got a tape together Dave and I were doing Stafford. That was early on but no idea when exactly.

There were two tapes in all but I think we'd jacked in by the time I got the second. I had asked Bob to compile me the NS style stuff but I did get a mish-mash off him and I can't remember which tracks were on which of the tapes. For instance I think "Lonely Lover" was on the second so we may not have played that but then again I could be wrong. I think Butch may have asked for a cut of that "Absent Minded Lover" off second tape but you'd have to ask him to be certain.

The ones I do remember cutting and playing were the "Suspicion", "Love starved heart" [as "It's killing me"], "Come on back to me baby" and "Angel Doll" by Temptations [maybe?], "Words" by Majestics/Monitors[?] "Sugar's never been as sweet" and "Boy from Crosstown" by Marvelettes; "In the neighbourhood" instr [as "On the avenue"]; "It's too late"; "Love is good" and "Gonna let love live" by Velvelettes. Maybe an airing for one or two others like "Spellbound" or "Watch your step" but they weren't particularly good NS just uptempo Motown.

Two C90 tapes so loads of other stuff from Versatones, Miracles, Creations, Eddie Holland. No idea if all available now.

A long time ago now so some things have just faded from memory.

ROD

PS I did play two Temps cuts to Melvin Franklin and Otis Williams back in the 90's [they were on at the Apollo Manchester and wandered in to the stall] They'd forgotten both of them.

Social source share

There were two tapes in all...

I remember those two doing the rounds during Stafford, Rod...mind blowing stuff! I also got an acetate around that time from Ady Pountain of 'Sugar...' backed with 'Come On Back...' resplendant with fake photocopied labels waaaaaaay before Paintshop made life easier!

The Soussan guide book has a load of Motown acetates in it, including Suspicion, as featured above.

Anyone got the listings for the two tapes just to jog my memory, please?

:hatsoff2:

Social source share

"Suspicion"

"Love starved heart"

"Come on back to me baby"

"Sugar's never been as sweet"

"Boy from Crosstown"

"On the avenue" vocal

"It's too late";

"Love is good"

"Gonna let love live"

"Spellbound"

& 'stop beating around the bush'

All covered by the Motown Chipmunks on speed & hilium Al-star Band. The northern tracks are at the right speed.

Taped was labeled Dave & Rod sounds 1982

Bob says 1980 which I think is about right but it may have been '81. I think if he measures the build-up of dust in his kitchen and bastardizes dendrochronology techniques he should come up with the exact day and month.

All I know is that by the time Bob had got a tape together Dave and I were doing Stafford. That was early on but no idea when exactly.

There were two tapes in all but I think we'd jacked in by the time I got the second. I had asked Bob to compile me the NS style stuff but I did get a mish-mash off him and I can't remember which tracks were on which of the tapes. For instance I think "Lonely Lover" was on the second so we may not have played that but then again I could be wrong. I think Butch may have asked for a cut of that "Absent Minded Lover" off second tape but you'd have to ask him to be certain.

The ones I do remember cutting and playing were the "Suspicion", "Love starved heart" [as "It's killing me"], "Come on back to me baby" and "Angel Doll" by Temptations [maybe?], "Words" by Majestics/Monitors[?] "Sugar's never been as sweet" and "Boy from Crosstown" by Marvelettes; "In the neighbourhood" instr [as "On the avenue"]; "It's too late"; "Love is good" and "Gonna let love live" by Velvelettes. Maybe an airing for one or two others like "Spellbound" or "Watch your step" but they weren't particularly good NS just uptempo Motown.

Two C90 tapes so loads of other stuff from Versatones, Miracles, Creations, Eddie Holland. No idea if all available now.

A long time ago now so some things have just faded from memory.

ROD

PS I did play two Temps cuts to Melvin Franklin and Otis Williams back in the 90's [they were on at the Apollo Manchester and wandered in to the stall] They'd forgotten both of them.

Social source share

Simon t,

I'd forgotten about "Stop beatin..." but pretty sure it was instr "On the avenue". Think it was backing track with back-up vocal repeating "on the avenue" ad nauseum. Wasn't even aware of Jimmy Ruffin vocal then.

And I defintely don't remember anybody coming up saying you are playing these records speeded up. Drop me a PM and let me know Northern titles on that tape as Chalky wants a Staffs playlist and im having difficulty recalling much.

Flynny,

No full idea what was on those tapes. The tape Simon has would not include any of the non-Northern that made up the majority of them. I've not got copies now.

ROD

Social source share

Simon t,

I'd forgotten about "Stop beatin..." but pretty sure it was instr "On the avenue". Think it was backing track with back-up vocal repeating "on the avenue" ad nauseum. Wasn't even aware of Jimmy Ruffin vocal then.

You're right, it was just the backing vocals, no lead.

ROD

Social source share

Yes, Rod, it could have been 1981. That was a long time ago, and I have little in the way of parallel events to reference it.

I doubt that my tapedeck was running too fast. I also doubt that the turntable at Motown that I used to record the acetates was running too fast. And half of the unreleased cuts were taken off of tapes. So why would some of those AND some of the acetate recordings BOTH be too fast?

Social source share

Yes, Rod, it could have been 1981. That was a long time ago, and I have little in the way of parallel events to reference it.

I doubt that my tapedeck was running too fast. I also doubt that the turntable at Motown that I used to record the acetates was running too fast. And half of the unreleased cuts were taken off of tapes. So why would some of those AND some of the acetate recordings BOTH be too fast?

Somebody "issued" Marvin Gaye Lonely Lover on single sided Advance Records (I think) credited to Eddie Holland which sounded like pinky & perky as somewhere along the line it had been ridiculously speeded up.

Think Suspicion was also on Advance Records again single sided & credited (again memory bit hazy) to The Monitors. This was def speeded up but not as bad as Marvin Gaye.

Manship was knocking out at least one tape of unreleased Motown, could of been a copy of the first one that Rod mentions ?

Social source share

SHS Dave,

Thanks to Simon t I've just heard a tape including those unreleased Motown things and it is very fast. All of it,not just the Motown. I know we used to sell the tapes so Im assuming the quality control department let us down - the hi-speed dub must have been playing up on some/all?

Maybe the Advance "Suspicion" was cut off one of those tapes as we put full versions on them. As for "Lonely lover" no idea if we added it to another tape later on. Very hazy if we ever played it cos we'd jacked or maybe just before.

I may have cut it for Guy but can't remember.

But anyway the Advance things were nothjing to do with us.

ROD

Social source share

Just dug out the manship tape that I bought at the time, Suspicion is on there credited to Monitors as it was on the single sided "Advance" single.

A few of the titles are either "cover up" names or the artists weren't known at the time (is that a possibility Rod?) For instance On the avenue is credited to the Originals.

The tape is titled Rare Tamla 1, most (maybe all) of the stuff is unreleased. My knowledge is limited so I don't know if maybe there'e the odd album track on there. Stevie Wonder I'll Cry ? Supremes Mother dear ? there again they may not be the real artists ? Not listened to it in something like 30 years so no idea if they all sound speeded up or not?

Social source share

Guest uroffal

I remember those two doing the rounds during Stafford, Rod...mind blowing stuff! I also got an acetate around that time from Ady Pountain of 'Sugar...' backed with 'Come On Back...' resplendant with fake photocopied labels waaaaaaay before Paintshop made life easier!

The Soussan guide book has a load of Motown acetates in it, including Suspicion, as featured above.

Anyone got the listings for the two tapes just to jog my memory, please?

:hatsoff2:

I have a copy of the unreleased tape(s) that were doing the rounds at Stafford. Not sure if it combines the two discussed, but track listing is as follows:

Side 1

Velvelettes - Let Love Live (Longer)

Gladys Knight - Too Late For Love

Martha & The Vandellas - Spellbound

Temptations - Come On Back To Me Baby

Marvin Gaye - Heart Attack

Marvelettes - Love Is Good

Martha & The Vandellas - Don't Beat Around

Elgins - Sugar's Never Been As Sweet

Velvelettes - Boy From Crosstown

Monitors - Suspicion

Originals - On The Avenue

Martha & The Vandellas - Keep On Stepping

Side 2

Temptations - Lonely World

Marvin Gaye & Tami Terrell - I Quit, I Can't Win

Four Tops - Anything That I Can Do

Stevie Wonder - I'd Cry

Spinners - What More Could A Boy Ask For (which was on the aforementioned 'From The Vaults' LP if memory serves me correctly)

Temptations - Gotta Find A Way

Marvin Gaye & Tami Terrell - Baby I Need Your Loving

Supremes - Mother Dear

Four Tops - Helpless

Monitors - Somebody Share A Little

Isley Brothers - Whispers

Temptations - Save My Love

Social source share

I have a copy of the unreleased tape(s) that were doing the rounds at Stafford. Not sure if it combines the two discussed, but track listing is as follows:

Side 1

Velvelettes - Let Love Live (Longer)

Gladys Knight - Too Late For Love

Martha & The Vandellas - Spellbound

Temptations - Come On Back To Me Baby

Marvin Gaye - Heart Attack

Marvelettes - Love Is Good

Martha & The Vandellas - Don't Beat Around

Elgins - Sugar's Never Been As Sweet

Velvelettes - Boy From Crosstown

Monitors - Suspicion

Originals - On The Avenue

Martha & The Vandellas - Keep On Stepping

Side 2

Temptations - Lonely World

Marvin Gaye & Tami Terrell - I Quit, I Can't Win

Four Tops - Anything That I Can Do

Stevie Wonder - I'd Cry

Spinners - What More Could A Boy Ask For (which was on the aforementioned 'From The Vaults' LP if memory serves me correctly)

Temptations - Gotta Find A Way

Marvin Gaye & Tami Terrell - Baby I Need Your Loving

Supremes - Mother Dear

Four Tops - Helpless

Monitors - Somebody Share A Little

Isley Brothers - Whispers

Temptations - Save My Love

I'm guessing these were used to produce the white label " limited edition " Vol 1 motown lp we all snapped up in the mid 80's !!!!!

Did vol 2 ever get issued with Marvin Gaye " Lonely Lover " etc ..... ?

Edited by 123-motown
Social source share

They changed the titles. The only artists we didn't know was "Suspicion". That was taken off a Jobete Music Co, song reference acetate which had no artist listed. We didn't venture a guess as to who it was.

We had another in "All I Have Left Are Memories", which turned out to have been sung by Sammy Turner and The Serenaders. But that wasn't a UK concern, as it was a tremendously slow Doo Wop ballad, and so not placed on the tapes I sent to Rod.

The backing tracks to "On The Avenue", recorded for Jimmy Ruffin, came off an acetate, mislabeled as "In The Neighborhood", by Jimmy Ruffin. Of course, we now know that both of those songs were just alternate lyrics for the same instrumental song. What a great instrumental track. I like the "In The Neighborhood" lyrics better, but think the "On The Avenue" lyrics fit the music better.

We knew that "Sugar's Never Been As Sweet as You" was sung by The Marvelettes. I don't understand why anyone would want to "cover up only" a couple of artists out of 24 songs. That doesn't make any sense.

Edited by RobbK
Social source share

Guest uroffal

I'm guessing these were used to produce the white label " limited edition " Vol 1 motown lp we all snapped up in the mid 80's !!!!!

Did vol 2 ever get issued with Marvin Gaye " Lonely Lover " etc ..... ?

I can't say ever saw, or even knew of the white label LPs, so they must've been very limited.

I can remember the Vandella's track 'Spellbound' on the flip of a boot of Barbara McNair's 'You're Gonna Love My Baby' (white label Tamla copy I think) around '82/'83 - not seen one since and 'Suspicion' was booted as the flip to Eddie Holman's 'Where I'm Not Wanted', which I have somewhere but can't recall who it was credited to or the name of the label (again they were readily available at Stafford) - if I find it I'll try to put a clip up for comparison to other takes if anyone's interested.

'Lonely Lover' isn't listed on the tape so am guessing this is 'tape 1' of the 2 - think I recall 'Lonley Lover' getting a legit release as part of two tracks on the flip of a Marvin Gaye 12" in the late '80s, but meory is a bit vague on that one.

Social source share

I can't say ever saw, or even knew of the white label LPs, so they must've been very limited.

I think it came out from the North Notts area didn't it Youth? I not sure that volume two ever got done

I can remember the Vandella's track 'Spellbound' on the flip of a boot of Barbara McNair's 'You're Gonna Love My Baby' (white label Tamla copy I think) around '82/'83 - not seen one since

TamTown wasn't it. I used to have one, white label and red print?

and 'Suspicion' was booted as the flip to Eddie Holman's 'Where I'm Not Wanted', which I have somewhere but can't recall who it was credited to

The Detroit Prophets

or the name of the label (again they were readily available at Stafford) - if I find it I'll try to put a clip up for comparison to other takes if anyone's interested.

Soul Beat Records

Social source share

Guest uroffal

They changed the titles. The only artists we didn't know was "Suspicion". That was taken off a Jobete Music Co, song reference acetate which had no artist listed. We didn't venture a guess as to who it was.

We knew that "Sugar's Never Been As Sweet as You" was sung by The Marvelettes. I don't understand why anyone would want to "cover up only" a couple of artists out of 24 songs. That doesn't make any sense.

I think from memory there was much debate about who actually recorded 'Suspicion' at the time. Was the original tape credited to 'Unknown'? I suspect that in order to generate more interest it was given the cover up name Detroit Prophets (I don't remember it being played as The Monitors despite the tape listing it as such).

It's great to hear so much of this story first hand (amongst many others) this is one that I found fascinating as a 17 year old and stil find fascinating now at 45.

Edited by uroffal
Social source share

Guest uroffal

I think it came out from the North Notts area didn't it Youth? I not sure that volume two ever got done

I can remember the Vandella's track 'Spellbound' on the flip of a boot of Barbara McNair's 'You're Gonna Love My Baby' (white label Tamla copy I think) around '82/'83 - not seen one since

TamTown wasn't it. I used to have one, white label and red print?

and 'Suspicion' was booted as the flip to Eddie Holman's 'Where I'm Not Wanted', which I have somewhere but can't recall who it was credited to

The Detroit Prophets

or the name of the label (again they were readily available at Stafford) - if I find it I'll try to put a clip up for comparison to other takes if anyone's interested.

Soul Beat Records

The LPs may well have come and gone when I stopped going - never seen one for sale anywhere since.

Yes, TamTown of course (I'd never have recalled that) and was as you say white label, red print.

Edited by uroffal
Social source share

Rob

Perhaps back at that time someone over here got hold of a copy of the tape and was trying to attribute the female lead tracks to some female Motown artists and hence they put it down to either the Marvelltes, Velvelettes or Timmy Mallet's sister Sondra and her group. Of course it couldn't be the Supremes, as it doesn't sound like a goose farting in the fog.

Edited by simon t
Social source share

The LPs may well have come and gone when I stopped going - never seen one for sale anywhere since.

Yes, TamTown of course (I'd never have recalled that) and was as you say white label, red print.

All this interest what would one of these fetch these day's ?

Social source share

I think from memory there was much debate about who actually recorded 'Suspicion' at the time. Was the original tape credited to 'Unknown'? I suspect that in order to generate more interest it was given the cover up name Detroit Prophets (I don't remember it being played as The Monitors despite the tape listing it as such).

It's great to hear so much of this story first hand (amongst many others) this is one that I found fascinating as a 17 year old and stil find fascinating now at 45.

As mentioned I have a boot of Suspicion credited to the Monitors & pretty sure that it was the 1st boot available so probably originally played as by the Monitors, perhaps Rod can clear that up ? My tape bought from manship has the same track listing as the one mentioned by Uroffal.

Social source share

I have one of those TamTown Boots with "Spellbound" and "You're Gonna Love My Baby". It was black print on white BG. No red print.

Social source share

Nottingham is correct. I know who did them but don't know if it's ok to post any names. Came out either 1993 or 1994. Volume Two never done.

Social source share

Rob

Perhaps back at that time someone over here got hold of a copy of the tape and was trying to attribute the female lead tracks to some female Motown artists and hence they put it down to either the Marvelltes, Velvelettes or Timmy Mallet's sister Sondra and her group. Of course it couldn't be the Supremes, as it doesn't sound like a goose farting in the fog.

"Sugar's Never Been As Sweet As You"-was clearly Gladys Horton's voice. I can hear it playing in my head right now, and one cannot mistake her distinctive voice. How could any '60s Motown fan have not recognised that?

On the other hand, The Originals' lead on both versions of Suspicion is not very recognisable to most normal Motown fans. I can easily recognise Freddy Gorman's voice, but not Hank Dixon, or C.P. Spencer, or the others. That cut didn't really sound like any of their other recordings, so we weren't really listening for The Originals' voices, in any case. Also, The Motown Vaults didn't have a computerised cross-referencing system to find a list of all the artists who recorded a particular song. We could only find the songwriters quickly. It took a fair amount of digging to find out who sang on that recording. We had planned to do that, until the bosses decided that one LP would be the last. Not long after, Tom DePierro left Motown to form Airwave/Altair Records. I joined his firm as a co-owner, and, unfortunately, didn't participate in Motown's subsequent unreleased music release projects in 1982 (1 LP), 1983 (1 LP) and their 25 Year Anniversary LP releases (with much previously unissued material). The almost started over, not using many of the songs we had slated for future LPs, and stuck almost exclusively to the most popular artists (Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder, Miracles, Temptations, Martha & Vandellas, Gladys Knight & Pips, Four Tops).

Social source share

Nottingham is correct. I know who did them but don't know if it's ok to post any names. Came out either 1993 or 1994. Volume Two never done.

Not strictly correct, a few miles up the road in Mansfield. Simon gave a clue in one of his posts who it was but his name has been mentioned in previous topics about the LP.

I remember going to get a copy for myself and one for John Kingan, was on a Wednesday cause it was unlikely there would be any left for the weekend, they were selling that fast. Still got my copy in cupboard. As said volume two never got made.

Social source share

Just to clarify.

Bob supplied me with two C90's of Motown stuff, some of which were cut and played at Stafford. Im pretty sure Bob you told me at the time "Suspicion" was by the Originals. It was covered as the Prophets. To be honest I have no idea what we covered the others as. Was "Love starved heart" JJ Barnes "It's killing me"?

The tape Simon t refers to is a mixture of this Motown plus other 45s Dave and I had at the time including Topics,Royal Robins,Monique, Court Davis. We used to sell those and all tracks were the full versions. We probably did others for those who asked with slightly different track listings.

The all Motown tape Uroffal lists is not ours. As Des says the B-side looks to me like Motown album tracks as I have quite a few of those. However the A-side is made up of the tracks we were playing. Looks to me like they may have been taken from the tapes we were selling at the time as there is nothing there that we didn't have.

ROD

Social source share

Not strictly correct, a few miles up the road in Mansfield. Simon gave a clue in one of his posts who it was but his name has been mentioned in previous topics about the LP.

I remember going to get a copy for myself and one for John Kingan, was on a Wednesday cause it was unlikely there would be any left for the weekend, they were selling that fast. Still got my copy in cupboard. As said volume two never got made.

I remember this coming out too as I spent a lot of time in the company of unsaid person, also on this album were tracks not mentioned yet like the Creations "Say, Say Baby"

Edited by Tony Smith
Social source share

I remember this coming out too as I spent a lot of time in the company of unsaid person, also on this album were tracks not mentioned yet like the Creations "Say, Say Baby"

I thought I'd got a scan that I'd posted on the site before of the inner sleeve said person did with the tracks on but can't find it.

some off top of me head....

Eddie Holland - Outside Looking In

Kim Weston - Any Girl in Love

Creations - Say Say Baby

Velvelettes - Boy From Crosstown (?)

Tempts - Angel Doll

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!