3,000,000 Records At A Bargin Price

Dave Thorley

• Replies 87
  • Views 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Just $2,999,990 short at the moment ( I don't suppose you could lend me , nah doesn't matter) :lol:

Seriously though, if you won the lottery would you have it?

Dare you to ask for Listing of Records!

Swifty :lol:

He looks like the kind of guy that has it all on a data base, only comes out of his basement to get food or go to record fairs :lol:

Social source share

and photo's of the family incase he forgets what they look like upstairs!!!!!!!!!!

Or more likely pictures of people who came to visit the collection and are now buried somewhere beneath it. :lol:

Sure there a few on here who could get a co-operative together to outbid SoulStrut, probably lots of potential Dolly Parton c/u's hidden away in collection. :lol:

Social source share

Or more likely pictures of people who came to visit the collection and are now buried somewhere beneath it. :lol:

Sure there a few on here who could get a co-operative together to outbid SoulStrut, probably lots of potential Dolly Parton c/u's hidden away in collection. :lol:

I think he said in his description 60% chart 40% nonchart. He also said there were tons of dupes. Given that he doesn't even give the % of 45s and given that he doesn't give the percent of soul, I would say that leaves about 200 soul 45s he has, mostly from the 80s...

Social source share

I think he said in his description 60% chart 40% nonchart. He also said there were tons of dupes. Given that he doesn't even give the % of 45s and given that he doesn't give the percent of soul, I would say that leaves about 200 soul 45s he has, mostly from the 80s...

Soul or not - nice wall of 45s though... :lol:

8ed3_1.JPG

And isn't that a Koko label 45 at the top of one of those piles! :lol:

99be_1.JPG

Social source share

Soul or not - nice wall of 45s though... :lol:

Would agree there Sebastian, but most people would also have to buy new premises to house adding to the cost!

And isn't that a Koko label 45 at the top of one of those piles! :lol:

99be_1.JPG

:lol: :lol: biggrin.gif

What a spot Sebastian, you now have 100's of people rushing for magnifying glasses to see what else is there, could be a Jean Carter issue next to it! :lol:

Social source share

:lol:How funny are some of the questions

I like the one that offers to do all there cleaning & cooking

or if thats not suffice, is there anyone you want whacked :lol: pmsl

Is matchstalk men in the collection :lol:

Social source share

Pittsburgh was always THE 45 record place.

The racks remind me of the basement at RECORD SHACK, Swissvale, Pittsbugh.

The place had a couple of Million records their in 1979 when i went.

Even the stairs had records on each step, fell over a pile of Gentlemen Four.........

Didnt stop long though as i asked the usual question "has Roberts been here?"

"Ah sure" was the reply.

He probably had never been in their...silly mistake...where are they now?

Social source share

:lol:What was that talk of boycotting ebay about on Q&A pages, anyone know :lol:

A lot of American sellers are boycotting eBay for a week in protest at the new higher final selling price fees.

No one seems to have noticed, the eBay management have probably taken the opportunity to go on Holiday then it will be business as usual next week.

Social source share

I've been to this place in Pittsburgh quite a few times, when it was under a USPS office and when it moved to its new location which was like an underground heavy metal nightclub.

Always found Paul Mahwinney to be a real nice bloke. You had to look for the records in a catalogue llist about 3 times the size of the yellow pages for London and he'd go and see if there were spare copies;he'd never sell his file copy.

There is some amazing and rare soul in there; probaly not $3million dollars worth though.

Neil

Social source share

I've been to this place in Pittsburgh quite a few times, when it was under a USPS office and when it moved to its new location which was like an underground heavy metal nightclub.

Always found Paul Mahwinney to be a real nice bloke. You had to look for the records in a catalogue llist about 3 times the size of the yellow pages for London and he'd go and see if there were spare copies;he'd never sell his file copy.

There is some amazing and rare soul in there; probaly not $3million dollars worth though.

Neil

Are you saying you went to his store or looked at his personal collection? He says in the auction that his personal collection (which is up for sale) is different from what was in his store. I've never dealt with him so I don't know the details.

Social source share

No idea if his personal collection was the file copies in the store;You couldn't actually physically touch them or look through them, as they were in all racks or shelving behind a counter and his desk.Like I said you had to look through this massive directory, pick out titles and he'd go and search through the racks to see if had doubles.Given he wouldn't sell a record unless he had 2 of them and from the pictures it looks to me like they are the same thing.

Occasionally you'd hit lucky but there were many records which were single copies and he wouldn't sell them.

There were other records in the front of the store that you could look through but these were pretty rough and 50c/$1 if I remember right.

Neil

Social source share

:thumbsup:How funny are some of the questions

I like the one that offers to do all there cleaning & cooking

or if thats not suffice, is there anyone you want whacked :D pmsl

Is matchstalk men in the collection :lol:

i like this best

Would you consider my girlfriend as a part exchange for you collection. Whats your thoughts? A photo can be supplied. laugh.gif:lol:

Social source share

Neil

Yeah I'd tend to agree, I'd imagine there'll be an awful lot of "non-Trophy" records which would be hard to resell.....in todays climate. Was discussing a large collection at Lifeline with Dave T, and that one had loads of multiples of LPs etc....we both agreed you couldn't give most of em away :lol:

Social source share

Neil

Yeah he seemed a nice guy, I got a load of stuff off him 4/5 years ago, he had that

Website where you typed in a name in his search engine went and made tea and it had

just about finished searching by the time you were back.

He had some excellent stuff especially 70s Soul although as you say he didn't like selling his last copy.

Just checked my database and the best bargain I got was Ernest Baker 'Alone Again' out of there for 20 dollars :lol: , but also Choice of Color, Innersection, and multiples of lots of major label biggies

like Mandrill, Bobby Womack, Bill Harris, Bettye Swann etc... happy days

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

i hope james trouble"s snipe is working tongue.gif

ps only joking :lol:

I don't fancy the postage fees... :lol:

I'd be surprised if he manages to sell em all for that. Storage, transport, listing, time, effort etc. There are better businesses to invest in if you have $3mill kicking around, surely?

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Yeah but would you actually bother importing all the val Doonegan / frank Sinatra / Beatles LPs? :lol: I know I wouldn't.....even in containers that little lot would cost a few thousand :lol:

Exactly, it'll be more a case of doing him a favour and taking them off his hands for 10c a record. Even then it'd take you a life time to sell them all for any kind of profit. The interest payment on $3mill in a UK government owned bank is surely a much better place to put your money than in a few tonnes of shitty old records that no one wants?

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

Exactly, it'll be more a case of doing him a favour and taking them off his hands for 10c a record. Even then it'd take you a life time to sell them all for any kind of profit. The interest payment on $3mill in a UK government owned bank is surely a much better place to put your money than in a few tonnes of shitty old records that no one wants?

I really don't think he is selling them under the expectation that someone will buy them to resell. He's selling "the entire history of recorded music" or some BS like that, that you could claim to own. I wouldn't be surprised if someone bid on it too, it's less of a niche sale than a big northern soul collection, and 3 million isn't a lot of money to some people. Those aren't the people who would want to break it up to sell.

Social source share

Exactly. I am sure he has some rare "Stones" albums etc in that little lot, but do I look like I need to spend a lifetime in a basement trawling through and trying to re-sell it all :lol:

Not for me even if I had the $3m.

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Exactly. I am sure he has some rare "Stones" albums etc in that little lot, but do I look like I need to spend a lifetime in a basement trawling through and trying to re-sell it all :lol:

$3mill, you can get $300k+ interest a year from the Northern Rock with that with no risk, that's £3k sterling a week for life, off the top of my head.

Why would anyone invest their children's inheritance in this pile of plastic when they can get guaranteed returns like that?

And for that reason, I'm out...

dragons460.jpg

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

I love the offer of $10 back with a new eBay MasterCard under the sale price :lol: Whoopee

Social source share

I have been to this guys shop in Pitsburg a couple of times...complete nutter, he thinks he is sitting on the worlds greatest collection but i can tell you there is sod all in there we would be interested in. Talk about believing your own publicity....he gave us newspaper cuttings about his store (i remember he prefers to call it a museum, even though you cant look at any 45s)...

Even chart record started at $30 so his valuation is blown from the start...

He told us everything was mint unplayed..until he brought us a knackered copy of the Brothers Guiding light that looked like it had been thru a washing machine!

Complete loon....stay clear!

Chris

Social source share

I have been to this guys shop in Pitsburg a couple of times...complete nutter, he thinks he is sitting on the worlds greatest collection but i can tell you there is sod all in there we would be interested in. Talk about believing your own publicity....he gave us newspaper cuttings about his store (i remember he prefers to call it a museum, even though you cant look at any 45s)...

Even chart record started at $30 so his valuation is blown from the start...

He told us everything was mint unplayed..until he brought us a knackered copy of the Brothers Guiding light that looked like it had been thru a washing machine!

Complete loon....stay clear!

Chris

Chris, you sort of re-affirmed what was in my thoughts

I mean for fooks sake, why would anyone as an individual want to collect the history of American music, there must be tonnes of shit amongst it, and OK maybe he has got a lot of rare stuff, but $3million dollars :no: best is, he reckons its worth close on $50million, on fookin planet Krypto maybe

Ive no doubt there is some cranky fooker out there with a few million sitting around who has stopped watching trains pull in and out of the station, and yes if his description is true and factual that it covers just about anything released musicaly from the very begining of America"s musical roots, it may well be worth putting in some museam for future generations to view, but to be honest if you"ve seen one 7" vinyl record or styrene, well whats the point of looking at 1.5 million of em, If i were the president of the USA I would order Bill Gates to buy it, as he has barrowloads of $$$$$$$$ss so he would"nt miss $3m and leave em where they are, bet you would"nt have that many interested in viewing this collection after a couple of months.

wink.gif:D

PS

And if Gatesy did not cough up the dough

then I would have him whacked :P

Social source share

:thumbup: Well it now has 4 bids on and is at $3.3m :lol:

Just does not ring true with me this whole thing, now lets assume the bidder/s are kosha

How much are the selling fee"s going to be :lol::lol: , cannot find out what country the bidders are from or who they are.

Now lets assume we owned this collection (ok we aint the full ticket in the head) but lets just assume we did own it as an individual

How would you go about selling it ! :)

Gotta be honest I would probably go to a big world renowned auction house and let them deal with it I suppose, I dont really know, I mean chuffin ell 60tonnes of stuff sweatingbullets.gif

Social source share

Gotta be honest I would probably go to a big world renowned auction house and let them deal with it I suppose, I dont really know, I mean chuffin ell 60tonnes of stuff sweatingbullets.gif

NO the last thing you should do. Remember old James Hamilton's collection - pantechnicans of the stuff.......we all walked away with boxes full of relative bargains (500 import singles for £30, crate of 12s for £15 etc. ) and the poor widow ended up with just a few thousand. There was a big quantity there too, but not much duplicates.

Realistically most of this stuff in PA is UNSELLABLE. Great if you have the ego the size of a warehouse and want to be known as someone who has a history of US recorded music bla de bla and appear on local TV stations. Also great if you have nothing better to do with the rest of your life except try and work out what's there and what's rare.

Otherwise :thumbup:

Social source share

Something stupid like 17.5% VAT on what you paid + 10% import duty unsure.gif about 750k :thumbup:

But if you bought this and had the money to do so, you wouldn't ship them. You get wharehouseing in the US and process them there. For a lot less than $700K+ you could set up a very nice business, with people working for you on the processing, or move out there yourself.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert