• Replies 67
  • Views 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Someone tell me that they never left the lights on! :rolleyes:

Kev :g:

No Mate, they were still on as the cleaning crew moved into action tho!

Fab niter at Stoke last - July is always THE biggie at Kings Hall and last night was no exception. It was jumping from the word go and what a great testament to the gig that the dance floor was still packed right up to the last record at 6:00am

For anyone interested, here's what I played in the last hour (not in the right order admittedly - too tired!)

Al Wilson Help Me Wand

Bobbie Brown I Gotta Have You Jacklyn

Wooden Nickels Nobody But You Omen

Cavaliers Hold To My Baby RCA

Diplomats Honest To Goodness Minit

Little Jewell I Want To Tay-Ster

Dynamics I Need Your Love RCA

Doni Burdick The Slant c/u

Marva Lee If You Can't Be True Atco

Derek Martin Flashback Cut

Dorothy Berry Shindig City Planetary

Little Richie Just Another Heartache Sound Stage 7

Irma & The Larks Without You Baby Priority

Barbara Carr Shake Your Head Chess

Don Burdick What You Gonna Do Sound Patterns Acetate (unissued)

Carl Holmes Soul Dance No 3 Blackjack

Enchantments I'm In Love With Your Daughter Faro

Melba Moore Magic Touch Kent 45

Gene Toones What More Do You Want Simco

Satisfactions Take It Or Leave Smash

Gene Chandler There Was A Time Brunswick

The Metros Since I Found My Baby RCA

Queen City Show Band True Patron Of The Arts POW

Sam Dees Lonely For You Baby SSS International

Sharon Scott Could It Be You RCA

Solomon Burke Cry To Me Atlantic

Four Tops Ask The Lonely Motown

And that was me lot! 06:00 came around all too quickly, as usual. Many thanks to all who danced and

for the many requests I was given - sorry if I didnt squeeze yours in.

Great to see the Earl Of Weybridge in attendance along with the only famous Belgian, Chris Lalor and the boys from

the Sarf! I didnt see much evidence of the filming going on, the crew kept a discreet distance which seemed to work

perfectly and didnt impinge on the proceedings. It'll be interesting to see how it looks on the big screen. Any chance of a Northern Soul Premiere Kev?

Look out for the next Kings Hall - 1600 people can't be wrong eh!!?

Neil Jones.

Having had a year off after last july's nighter seemed a little "flat", it was great to see numbers up, didn't do the main room too much, bit to packed, as usual we sought out the modern side,

Full marks to Bob, Colin and Baz. they all played a great selection of music, and kept it going right through their mammoth spots(i,m talkin' in time, not in hairy elephant terms)

Downpoint was the "dance-floor", i'm still not quite sure what it was made up from but please f--k it off for next time, it was not only dancer unfriendly, but during the course of the night it made a bolt for the corridor, like some sort of glacier it oozed over the steps, causing one punter to end up falling down the steps, while at the other end it opened up massive fissures exposing the carpet it was allegedly covering

But despite that we had a good 'un in there, lets move to the next one with a positive outlook, and get the room rockin' as it always was

Harpo

Well that had to be the best Stoke Nighter I have ever attended , I don't know if it was the "hook" that many thought they might be captured on film ... but it did the trick my god there was some superb dancing at the front of that stage.

The music just flowed too , fantastic vibe from where I was sitting.

This must be as good as it gets if you want to experience how it may have been years ago , last night definately gave you a good insight.

10/10 to the audience who particpated in a "great" night.... and lets not forget the Dj's who fed them MEAT :g: that they could get their teeth into.

If I could bottle one play last night it would be the Charades .... the floor just bounced !

Carms

x

Well that had to be the best Stoke Nighter I have ever attended , I don't know if it was the "hook" that many thought they might be captured on film ... but it did the trick my god there was some superb dancing at the front of that stage.

The music just flowed too , fantastic vibe from where I was sitting.

This must be as good as it gets if you want to experience how it may have been years ago , last night definately gave you a good insight.

10/10 to the audience who particpated in a "great" night.... and lets not forget the Dj's who fed them MEAT :g: that they could get their teeth into.

If I could bottle one play last night it would be the Charades .... the floor just bounced !

Carms

x

TRULY AND UTTERLY...MIND BLOWING.

ABSOLUTELY AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, what a superb night! That's got to be the busiest Stoke i've seen, the main room was packed! Great friendly vibe in there, lotsa familiar faces and lotsa new (younger) faces as well, which cant be bad.

Had a few wanders round the main room to say hello and mither Mick H, Nige Brown and Neil J to give the forthcoming Prestwich Anniversary a good 'shout' but spent most of my time in the 'New' modern room, the Windsor Suite. This has got to be the modern room going forward! Great atmosphere in there due to it being more compact than the bigger room upstairs, and sounding better for it too. Harpo your'e right the floor was a disaster but that was down to some bright spark from the council and will be sorted for next time.

Good crowd all night in the Modern room with everybody seeming to enjoy the selections in there. Special mention must go to Bob Hinsley doing a 3 hour early doors set, playing a great selection of music and handing a full dancefloor over to Colin at 1am......Top Man and a Top DJ IMHO :g:

Result!

BazM

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

9th ANNIVERSARY ALL-NIGHTER FRIDAY 1st AUGUST 9pm - 6am - TSOP The Sound Of Prestwich at THE LONGFIELD SUITE RECTORY LANE, PRESTWICH, MANCHESTER TWO ROOMS OF PURE SOUL MAGIC Featuring Ginger Taylor - Terry Davies - Kenny Burrell - Mick H - Flanny - Nige Brown - Bob Hinsley Plus in the Modern Room Colin Curtis - Mike Stevens - Roger Williams Baz Maleady - and Geoff Allman VERY Late Bar Admission £10.00

Edited by BazM
Guest sandi

TRULY AND UTTERLY...MIND BLOWING.

ABSOLUTELY AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What a fantastic night, from the very start it promised to be awesome, and it certainly delivered.

The Main hall was packed and the dance floor space was scarce, some of my male spinner type friends had a bit of a moan about the room to perform to their best, they should moan, in the modern room the dance floor was literally trying to escape and at one stage actually made a mad dash for freedom and got off the 1st few steps down to the corridor, so there was l taking part of the floor apart before some poor bro or sis did themselves a serious injury, alas l didnt quite get there in time for a guy who thinking it was still part of the floor .........oooopps down he went and lm sure he really hurt his back although he insisted he was ok, uummm, embarrasment of falling probably took his pain away, for a while, well enough time to make a hasty retreat to the main hall, did'nt see him in the mod room again.

l stayed back after 5 when they were dismantling the equipment to take a few photos of the said offending poor excuse for a dance floor. l dont blame the promoters because it was'nt their choice of floor, yet l will be putting the photos in the forum in due course, the security guys did'nt take to kindly to me taking photos, oh dear never mind...........shit happens especially when inanimate objects dont take orders and decide to take on a will of their own :g::rolleyes::thumbup: .

All in all despite acts of god and human failings it was the best night lve had in a long time, attendance wise l mean, its just great to see a packed venue with so many like minded people enjoying themselves.

Regards to kev and sam.

Sandi xx

Guest soulsue

What a blinding night , great music and atmosphere , from start to finnish what a damned shame tho that certain people still decided to carry drink onto the floor with them while they were dancing most annoying :):lol: talking of dancing some amazing dancers in there last night great to watch cant of been easy either as the floor was packed all night goes to show that the music was tops

A big thumbs up to all the djs for playing some blinding tunes :thumbup: as for the filming crew.... who said they didnt see much eveidence of them ?would you like to borrrow my glasses my god they were everywhere .

Definatley one of the best nights ive had in there in a few years ...just one major moan tho what was that contraption that they called a dance floor in the modern room my god it was like trying to dance on a victorian cobbled street for the short time that i stayed in there i stayed on the carpet not the easiest of places to try and dance but a damed sight easier and safer than the so called floor.....

all round excellent night tho thoroughly enjoyed everyminute of it :D

Guest kerby

Fab niter at Stoke last - July is always THE biggie at Kings Hall and last night was no exception. It was jumping from the word go and what a great testament to the gig that the dance floor was still packed right up to the last record at 6:00am

For anyone interested, here's what I played in the last hour (not in the right order admittedly - too tired!)

Al Wilson Help Me Wand

And that was me lot! 06:00 came around all too quickly, as usual. Many thanks to all who danced and

Great to see the Earl Of Weybridge in attendance along with the only famous Belgian, Chris Lalor and the boys from

the Sarf! I didnt see much evidence of the filming going on, the crew kept a discreet distance which seemed to work

perfectly and didnt impinge on the proceedings. It'll be interesting to see how it looks on the big screen. Any chance of a Northern Soul Premiere Kev?

Neil Jones.

what a fantastic set neil . you made my night :)

thanks mart ( kerby )

Had an absolute brilliant time last night at the Kings Hall and would even go as far to say that this was the best allnighter there during the 10 years on and off i have attended KH...what i like about this all nighter is that there is no politics....everwhere you turn there is a friendly face....the atmosphere was incredible,,,usually Rob and myself normally get there about an hour or so after the nighter has started..but thanks to Wulfie and Annie..we got there around 20 minutes after start and i couldnt believe just how busy the dancefloor was even then.....the atmosphere and standard of music in the main hall didnt lull at all...and to still keep the momentum going at 6 in the morning is really to be admired..well done to all the DJs concerned......to the Bangor crew....lovely to see ya all again.....Delxxxx

Guest sandi

Special mention must go to Bob Hinsley doing a 3 hour early doors set, playing a great selection of music and handing a full dancefloor over to Colin at 1am......Top Man and a Top DJ IMHO :)

Result!

BazM

Baz your spot on, l couldnt believe Bob did 3 hours solid, and you know wot l bet he enjoyed every last minute,a dream come true for most of us who D.J. in the modern rooms, and also l agree with your comment about the amount of young ones (respectful youths at that) at Kings Hall last night , l 4 one was pleasently suprised, thats whats needed to keep the scene alive well after we've gone.

As for you Baz,yours was also a outstanding spot, think it was the most l danced in the modern room allnight, a bit put off by the floor, never mind l shared my time between rooms, but stayed put for your entire spot and so did Harpo, we found that special peace of heaven the wooden area in front of the bar which we commendered as our dance space :lol: .

Great night,great venue, great people, top class promoters.

Sandi(Mrs Harpo)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

9th ANNIVERSARY ALL-NIGHTER FRIDAY 1st AUGUST 9pm - 6am - TSOP The Sound Of Prestwich at THE LONGFIELD SUITE RECTORY LANE, PRESTWICH, MANCHESTER TWO ROOMS OF PURE SOUL MAGIC Featuring Ginger Taylor - Terry Davies - Kenny Burrell - Mick H - Flanny - Nige Brown - Bob Hinsley Plus in the Modern Room Colin Curtis - Mike Stevens - Roger Williams Baz Maleady - and Geoff Allman VERY Late Bar Admission £10.00

Guest Mrs Simsy

Just about returned to the land of the living after a top night!

We arrived in Stoke about 1am after going to the Banbury soul night, however we actually got to the Kings Hall about 1.30am after getting a little lost! You could almost feel the atmosphere from outside! :D

Lovely to see so many friends, i won't name names, i can barely remember my own... :D

Thought the DJs were really on form last night, massive thanks to Sean Chapman for playing The Parisians...i must ask him for it every time i see him because i walked past him in the record bar & he said hello, opened his fancy pocket watch and said.."15 minutes, twinkle...little....star-first record! wink.gif Even if it was about the 5th record, i still thank you! :D

Really enjoyed Neil Jones set aswell, he had the task of keeping weary and tired dancers going and boy did he! Top set! :lol: My legs ache today which is exactly what they should be feeling after a nighter! :D

Thanks to Tabs for the company there & back. We both had an excellant night! :thumbup:

I didn't see film crew, lots of people with cameras though! Thanks to the woman dancing in the corner of the dancefloor with the massive camera that she kept hitting me with whilst dancing! :)

Just uploading some pics! wink.gif

Al Wilson Help Me Wand

Neil Jones.

what a nite! very well attended, nice to see lots of younger people enjoying the music.

IMVHO top dog :thumbup: was neil jones,he managed to dj standing on one leg for the whole hour , this has to be a record of some kind!!!!! ohmy.gif

Maybe some of the others might want to try it as it may concentrate the memory banks about whats already been played . :D

Before anybody points it out, neil is a good mate but i allways speak my mind,good or bad without favour . :lol:

He had the floor rammed to the end (never seen so many people stay to the end) best set of the night, and well put together.

:)

I do not find it acceptable that a "DJ"can play at least 10 records in his set that have had an airing earlier in the night, what about a fine of say £10 deducted from fee every time one is played that should stop it in no time! yes.gif

That said this was still an awesome night ,thanks to all involved in putting it on! :D

Got to agree with the comments below, and everyone elses on this thread. :thumbup:

Atmosphere was just superb and the busiest I've seen the KH.

Great to see so many friends in one venue as well.

Everyone just having a superb time and enjoying themselves.

Many thanks to Ian and Kylee for the lift there and back. :)

We must do it again sometime.

Not sure if anyone will be interested in the link below, its a report on the film that is being made.

Cheers

Tabs

https://www.bbc.co.uk/stoke/content/article...m_feature.shtml

Just about returned to the land of the living after a top night!

We arrived in Stoke about 1am after going to the Banbury soul night, however we actually got to the Kings Hall about 1.30am after getting a little lost! You could almost feel the atmosphere from outside! biggrin.gif

Lovely to see so many friends, i won't name names, i can barely remember my own... :lol:

Thought the DJs were really on form last night, massive thanks to Sean Chapman for playing The Parisians...i must ask him for it every time i see him because i walked past him in the record bar & he said hello, opened his fancy pocket watch and said.."15 minutes, twinkle...little....star-first record! :D Even if it was about the 5th record, i still thank you!

Really enjoyed Neil Jones set aswell, he had the task of keeping weary and tired dancers going and boy did he! Top set! My legs ache today which is exactly what they should be feeling after a nighter!

Thanks to Tabs for the company there & back. We both had an excellant night!

I didn't see film crew, lots of people with cameras though! Thanks to the woman dancing in the corner of the dancefloor with the massive camera that she kept hitting me with whilst dancing!

Just uploading some pics!

Guest littlemissoul

What a fantastic night :D only problem is I wont be on the floor for a bit now :) as some great big man stomped on my foot and after a visit to A&E am now on crutches as have damaged my tendons and my foot is not a very nice colour :thumbup: . but god it was worth it :lol: . Will post some pics when I wake up properly Fantastic music great people can't wait for the next one. Well done Kev

LOL LMS xXx

probley the only person who didnt realy enjoy last nites Kings Hall thought the music was very average until Sean Chapman came on. Thought Butches spot was rubbish. no Soul Sam even thought he was advertised as being on. Nice to see the record bar in a better position though

I usually travel to various venues for their individual quality's and never really go home disappointed, last night was exceptional, Went with a magic set of mates to a venue packed with great a great crowd, heard some great sounds I really didn't expect to hear at The Kings Hall, made some new acquaintance's, heard some repeats so went and in to the modern room for more quality tracks. Packed up and off to the services for a few more laughs and then off for the journey home with no traffic jams.

What a cracker, what else could you ask for?? Oh maybe cheaper drinks!!!!

p.s. any one got some photos to put in the gallery

probley the only person who didnt realy enjoy last nites Kings Hall thought the music was very average until Sean Chapman came on. Thought Butches spot was rubbish. no Soul Sam even thought he was advertised as being on. Nice to see the record bar in a better position though

No I didn't enjoy it either, was there very early and I went home at 2.30, think the reason was because I drove myself there so I couldn't have a drink, or anything else, so I was just bored, but I have a nasty feeling that the music just isn't doing it for me anymore. Kev Roberts warm up spot was superb, and I enjoyed Nige's spot too, but I honestly can't see me ever going to another nighter, oh and that smoking ban has made a hell of a lot of difference too.

well Kev as per we trecked up from essex in the motorhomes, man o man was it worth it. see you at clacton. Ian, lesley, kev and lynn. FOR THOSE WHO DONT KNOW KEV ROBERTS>(A NICE BLOKE)

Sounds like a good time was had by all but I bet the guys making that film were struggling - The Stoke Sentinel says they were after 1,000 extras not over 25 !! BUT they would teach them the dance moves :lol:

Mark C

Ey up youth,dunner thee knock thar Sentinel....(great chip eating from material that it is!;-))

Yea....me n my mate had a few laughs about that when it was announced over the mike last night (me n her being the only two who qualified as 25 or under( :):D ) we decided we'd be really sought after, ha ha!!)

First time at the Kings Hall for me. Had a great night, the venue is superb. Really packed early on. Butch, Mick H, Sean Chapman & all the jocks infact played some really good sounds. Not at all the 'all oldies' tag I'd been led to believe.

Sorry to have missed you Pete S, would have been nice to have a chat, maybe next time. Good to meet Mark Freeman and good to see lots of friendly and familiar faces. Big thanks to Tabs for being a superb navigator and all round bloody good egg! :)

Would like to get back there for the next one.

Had a good night socially, saw lots of old friends from scooter and soul scene that I have not seen for 10 - 15 years so cameras probably were a massive draw.....music policy wasn't anything exiting, but no different than any other Kings Hall that I've ever attended so didn't bother me cus I knew what to expect and was up in record bar most the night anyway.

Talking of records, I've gotta post the following on behalf of Johnny Beggs who isn't on here.

Johnny had at least 6 records nicked out of his sales box last night :)

He's has an idea who it may be, but no proof....so if you're reading this and you lifted the 45s I'd advise you to get them returned as soon as possible, cus he ain't gonna let it lie.

Also heard that Killa thinks he's had a couple taken as well, so think all dealers there should check there stock to be sure.....this seems to have happened at a few venues recently.....thieving scum :lol:

Ey up youth,dunner thee knock thar Sentinel....(great chip eating from material that it is!;-))

Yea....me n my mate had a few laughs about that when it was announced over the mike last night (me n her being the only two who qualified as 25 or under( :):D ) we decided we'd be really sought after, ha ha!!)

Gail ...was lovely to see ya ...and nice to know that we both know Donna from Bangor...top babe...she is...you wont believe this Gail ...but i have left my fan at the KH!!!!!!!!...... :lol: ....once again great to see ya out ...hope you enjoyed the nighter as much as i did....my knees havnt tho..Delxxx

Enjoyed lastnight at Kings, apart from it being a bit too crowded, thinned out a bit later on which was great, and the music was spot on for the majority of the night. Thanks to Mick H for playing The Appointments - I saw you there for me :thumbup: and to Nige for playing Al Gardner - Sweet baby shades.gif Top class tunes!! :lol:

And as always great to catch up with good friends, hope to see you all again very soon. :D

Mart will be posting some fab pics up soon. :)

JB xxxKTFxxx

First time at the Kings Hall for me. Had a great night, the venue is superb. Really packed early on. Butch, Mick H, Sean Chapman & all the jocks infact played some really good sounds. Not at all the 'all oldies' tag I'd been led to believe.

Sorry to have missed you Pete S, would have been nice to have a chat, maybe next time. Good to meet Mark Freeman and good to see lots of friendly and familiar faces. Big thanks to Tabs for being a superb navigator and all round bloody good egg! :)

Last I read, you said you weren't going, otherwise I'd have asked after you!

Last I read, you said you weren't going, otherwise I'd have asked after you!

Yes that's very true but we'd missed Middleton and when we got right down to the real nitty gritty, we weren't missing Stoke! :)

Another time another place. :lol:

Guest sandi

Ah was it you Sandi with Sarah Ev outside telling me some 'risque' jokes biggrin.gif I thought I would leave you with the one about the flask :) te he te he :thumbup:

Actually my sisters came last night 2, did'nt you know l am a triplet, god plez tell me she/ well one of them anyway was'nt telling you a poem....sin, tin, soft tomato's ??????? ring any bells at all ?? all l can do is to apologise on their behalf's and promise never to bring them along again. :D .

But if it had of been me tellin you the poem l'd of done it with more style :lol:

See you soon.

Sandi xx

Guest Mr TEA

Just like to say thanks to all involved brilliant night,

good to see so many friendly faces,

Hope you had a good birthday Mick me ole travelling buddy,

Soulcoaster, one of your team was missing (and missed) last night, just tell him it was an average night and he wont feel so bad at missing a brill night,

Terry

Gail ...was lovely to see ya ...and nice to know that we both know Donna from Bangor...top babe...she is...you wont believe this Gail ...but i have left my fan at the KH!!!!!!!!...... :D ....once again great to see ya out ...hope you enjoyed the nighter as much as i did....my knees havnt tho..Delxxx

Lovely to see you too Del,(and your sharply dressed man Rob-my he scrubs up well! ;-)) OMG re the fan! Another one bites the dust! :D Well I think you and I should go shopping one afternoon soon girlie (I know a great fan shop (you know the one I mean, :D shhhhhh!)

Yea nice to see Donna (though I missed her and you at the end to say tara,but I was a tad tired by 6!) and also some more familiar faces from my past (mispent days in Stoke!) and present (the Northants/Beds/Warickshire crowd and Tabs n Simsy) I had a really good night,good boogie and a lot of laughs.

Shocked about Beggsy's records Mace (it wasn't me!) Hope it didnt happen when we were gassing and he took his eyes off the vinyl! Tell him from me I hope they turn up one way or another (Oh, and I'll p.m you Mace cuz I'm up for a trip to the Viper room so I need J.B's contact details....he'd better leave room for a large one in his suitcase next time he goes to Pitsburgh!)

Sorry to have missed you Pete S, would have been nice to have a chat, maybe next time. Good to meet Mark Freeman and good to see lots of friendly and familiar faces. Big thanks to Tabs for being a superb navigator and all round bloody good egg! :D

I'm glad you had a good night,full house,full dancefloor,abit frustrating for me with a full dancefloor,theres plenty of room to run off the walls ,Kev roberts top man in my books, don't keep the faith spread it.

Billy

Shocked about Beggsy's records Mace (it wasn't me!) Hope it didnt happen when we were gassing and he took his eyes off the vinyl! Tell him from me I hope they turn up one way or another (Oh, and I'll p.m you Mace cuz I'm up for a trip to the Viper room so I need J.B's contact details....he'd better leave room for a large one in his suitcase next time he goes to Pitsburgh!)

Nah, they went missing ages after you said you were 'going down' for Butch :D ....blimey, I thought he got paid enough without the 'extras' :D

Sorry, but Beggsy ain't allowed to take large suitcases on his U.S. trips...it's hard enough to get him into the States as it is, if they think he's possibly moving over he'd spend a full day in the customs office getting a rubber glove jobbie.

Funnily enough they don't give a shite what he's carrying on his way home....they just rush him through with relieved looks on their faces :D

I'll put some on later, just arrived back home it's 05.11AM UK time, slept 8 hours in last 48 so off to bedee-byze for a few hours. I got about 27 pics.

Chris L :D

with the risk of sounding boring and repetitive....top nite,fantastic music,friendly vibe busiest and best ive been to

ok there were some tunes played twice but not as bad as in the past and aswell as the oldies there were enuff semi known/new discoveries (ebony jams ride on sounded awesome on a big system)to keep me interested till about 5.15 when the pain in my legs and my girlfriends face out weighed the top tunes still being played but we had been on the floor for about 8 hours with the only breaks standing at the bar,eating chips or testing my blood sugar (im diabetic)once again seans set made me hypo as it did at berkley good job i checked cos i might have passed out on the dancefloor !!...talking of pain my legs are still killing ,im walking like ive got polio and wearing cages !!

big thanx to all involved,djs.promoters,staff (inc bouncers who were more chilled than in the past)and everyone of you

Guest Mrs Simsy

I usually travel to various venues for their individual quality's and never really go home disappointed, last night was exceptional, Went with a magic set of mates to a venue packed with great a great crowd, heard some great sounds I really didn't expect to hear at The Kings Hall, made some new acquaintance's, heard some repeats so went and in to the modern room for more quality tracks. Packed up and off to the services for a few more laughs and then off for the journey home with no traffic jams.

Theres some already in there! :D:D

with the risk of sounding boring and repetitive....top nite,fantastic music,friendly vibe busiest and best ive been to

ok there were some tunes played twice but not as bad as in the past and aswell as the oldies there were enuff semi known/new discoveries (ebony jams ride on sounded awesome on a big system)to keep me interested till about 5.15 when the pain in my legs and my girlfriends face out weighed the top tunes still being played but we had been on the floor for about 8 hours with the only breaks standing at the bar,eating chips or testing my blood sugar (im diabetic)once again seans set made me hypo as it did at berkley good job i checked cos i might have passed out on the dancefloor !!...talking of pain my legs are still killing ,im walking like ive got polio and wearing cages !!

big thanx to all involved,djs.promoters,staff (inc bouncers who were more chilled than in the past)and everyone of you

Agree about the Ebony Jams :D first time i'd heard it, its a fantastic tune!! :D And now on my wants list. :D

JB xxxKTFxxx

I really enjoyed Sat night, especially the modern room where i spent most of the night. I just couldn't drag myself away back into the main hall and when i did i was soon back in the modern.

One thing that does let the Kings Hall down for me though is the sound system. When i did venture into the main room some tunes sounded distorted. I realise the Kings Hall is a big venue but if this could be improved, for me it would be the perfect night.

Guest chorleybloke

Al Wilson Help Me Wand

Neil Jones.

Well I spent several hundred quid on flights, car hire, hotels etc coming over for the weekend from the south of France for my 2nd KGH event and it was worth every penny. An atmosphere & venue unprecedented since Wigan. Good format too, with the evergreen oldies giving way to more imaginative 60s dancers around the 2am mark when the place thinned out slightly providing a little more elbow room. I agree with whoever complained about the repeats - absolutely no excuse for Chris King playing 5 tracks that were spun an hour earlier, that's pure laziness.

Cheers

Pete Fowler

what a nite! very well attended, nice to see lots of younger people enjoying the music.

IMVHO top dog shades.gif was neil jones,he managed to dj standing on one leg for the whole hour , this has to be a record of some kind!!!!! :ohmy:

Maybe some of the others might want to try it as it may concentrate the memory banks about whats already been played . :g:

Before anybody points it out, neil is a good mate but i allways speak my mind,good or bad without favour . innocent.gif

He had the floor rammed to the end (never seen so many people stay to the end) best set of the night, and well put together.

:thumbsup:

I do not find it acceptable that a "DJ"can play at least 10 records in his set that have had an airing earlier in the night, what about a fine of say £10 deducted from fee every time one is played that should stop it in no time!

That said this was still an awesome night ,thanks to all involved in putting it on! :thumbsup:

Ok, rub it in why dont ya!.... :P

GUTTED that I didn't make it. Sean was DJ'ing elsewhere first and his spot got put back and we didn't make it. We left the other venue just after 3am so gettig to Stoke to arrive just in time to hear Neil Jones DJ seemed a bit mad.... whistling.gif

I've just seen that I'm away and will miss the next one to. NOTHING will stop me getting there at New Year... it'll be a year then since I've made it to Stoke. :lol:

Glad you all had a good night anyway.. :boxing:

Jayne.x.

Travelled up with a large crowd from the west mids to the" biggest oldies alnighter in the world" as this is definately our bag.

1600 hundred people can't be wrong and up until around 3 30am it was spot on.

A few records into sean chapmans set and he went off on a tangent plugging current biggies,sounds that were going to be massive and some stuff that another room was set up to play.

The atmosphere and numbers were going down like a lead balloon,and never really recovered.

Our elected representative very politely asked sean chapman as this was billed as the biggest oldies alnighter in the world would he return to the oldies theme,he was told to GET A LIFE.

There is no place for rudeness and ignorance,and next time mr. chapman is guesting at one of our local venue's,we will be voting with our feet.

Travelled up with a large crowd from the west mids to the" biggest oldies alnighter in the world" as this is definately our bag.

A few records into sean chapmans set and he went off on a tangent plugging current biggies,sounds that were going to be massive and some stuff that another room was set up to play.

The atmosphere and numbers were going down like a lead balloon,and never really recovered.

Our elected representative very politely asked sean chapman as this was billed as the biggest oldies alnighter in the world would he return to the oldies theme,he was told to GET A LIFE.

There is no place for rudeness and ignorance,and next time mr. chapman is guesting at one of our local venue's,we will be voting with our feet.

==================

i must confess i thought it was an all oldies affair but checked the original ad on here and it didnt state this..

defo a niter of two halves for me .packed niter til 2/3 with the oldies and brill atmosphere then the more current niter stuff and things did start to thin out alot

i didnt mind the music after 3 but can understand if u went there as an oldies fan..

==================

i must confess i thought it was an all oldies affair but checked the original ad on here and it didnt state this..

defo a niter of two halves for me .packed niter til 2/3 with the oldies and brill atmosphere then the more current niter stuff and things did start to thin out alot

i didnt mind the music after 3 but can understand if u went there as an oldies fan..

Mark,

A lot of people treat it as a soul night,and are not used to nighters or dont do nighters now,thats why it thins out 2 to 3am.

Kev :thumbsup:

We really enjoyed the night (and morning) the place had an authentic Northern Soul flavour.

If the goal is to have " A Great Night Out" then this one succeds like no other. The floor

was packed from start to finish, surely the Litmus test of any NS venue. Some

observations :

• Kev Roberts change of DJ line-up order worked well.
  • His own spot was well planned and got the place off a good start.
  • Dave Evison usually has an original "7pds 6s 3d" feel to it but felt he fluffed it a tad.
  • Nige Brown was spot on, good going stranger.
  • Mich H, not sure where he fits in, "only 3 know copies" guess he's the token rare sh** DJ ?
  • Good that Chris King made remark about no drinks on the floor, these new younger punters aren't really aware what the consequences of spilling dinks are, anyway booze shouldn't be on floor it should be down their throats.
  • Neil Jones, just gets better & better (BTW Neil hope you get better mate :-)
  • Lots of younger folk and "out-of-towners" some Mohican hairdoes, rastas with large coils of rope on their heads, what's next Punk Rockers !! :thumbsup:

The place really did rock all night long, it will be tough to hang on to this high level, Kev will need to ensure it doesn't turn into a Hen/Stag Night/Lets Go To Stoke Bars Open Till Three free for all, a good challenge for him coming up. I have posted some pics in the gallery. Great to see my mate Nige dancing, his 1st NS venue since the Torch in 1973 !!!!!!! tongue.gif all of us (6 handsome, wealthy, know it all Londoners) had a wonderful time...............we'll be back in October..............

Chris L

I agree with whoever complained about the repeats - absolutely no excuse for Chris King playing 5 tracks that were spun an hour earlier, that's pure laziness.

Cheers

Pete Fowler

Hello Pete

Enloyed ya set ay Brighouse Fri mate wink.gif

Now the Kings Hall comment above , Chris King followed ME on Saturday and he DEFFO did NOT repeat ANYTHING i played in the previous hour mate!! He even came up to me as i was about to follow Dave Evison and asked me to leave out the records i had played to he could see what id played when he arrived to follow me !!

I didnt hear him repeat anything Dave Evison played either to be honest, and my tunes neither!!

I SO enjoyed the Kings Hall on Saturday so good to see it humming again,

I tryed to play a cross section at the time i was on i think all in all people had a bit of evrything over the whole evening , and you always upset somebody , i see the Kings as a "good time "sorta Niter a "gathering of the clans" etc

Now Middleton is a diffrent Niter all togerher its the scenes "Hip" all niter and you expect to hear the best of the best there!! I really cant see why some people mosn about the Oldies that are played at Stoke for krikeys sake it is After All a Oldies Niter in the main.

Anyway i was booked to play from 11-30 thru 12-30 and this is what was on in that hour .

THE BELLES -- DONT PRETEND-- MIRWOOD

BALLADS -- I CANT SEE YOUR LOVE -- WEE RECORDS

JIMMY THOMAS -- THE BEAUTIFUL NIGHT -- uk PARLOPHONE Demo

EDDIE PARKER -- LOVE YOU BABY -- ASHFORD

THE CHARADES -- KEY TO MY HAPPINESS -- MGM

RICHIE ADAMS -- I CANT EXCAPE FROM YOU -- CONGRESS

TURLEY RICHARDS -- I FEEL ALRIGHT -- COLUMBIA Demo

VELOURS -- IM GONNA CHANGE -- MGM Demo

CODY BLACK -- IM SLOWLY MOULDING -- KING

GERRI HALL -- WHO CAN I RUN TO -- HOT LINE

AL GARDNER -- SWEET BABY -- SEPIA

YOUTH OPPORTUNITIES PROG. ---OF HOPES & DREAMS - COLUMBIA Demo

VOICES INCORPORATED ---THINKIN, COLUMBIA Demo

SAXIE RUSSELL --- PHYCHEDELIC SOUL -- THOMAS Demo

WILLIAMS & WATSON -- TOO LATE -- OKEH

LITTLE RICHARD -- I DONT WANNA DISCUSS IT -- uk COLUMBIA Demo

GENE CHANDLER -- MR BIG SHOT -- CONSTELLATION

FURYS -- IM SATISISFIED WITH YOU -- KEYMAN

JERRY COOK -- I HURT ON THE OPTHER SIDE -- CAPITOL Demo

NOLAN CHANCE -- JUST LIKE THE WEATHER -- CONSTELLATION

BAD WEATHER INC. -- I NEVER NEVER KNEW -- BAD WEATHER

BILLY DAVIES -- STANKY -- COBBELSTONE

JAMES CARR -- A LOSING GAME -- uk STATESIDE Demo

THE SHORT KUTS -- YOUR EYES MAY SHINE -- PEPPER Demo

CASULEERS -- DANCE DANCE DANCE

Not everones cup of tea on here i know but at the time i was on there choices seemed to hit the spot on the dance floor!! :thumbsup:

Love & Soul

Torchboy x

Guest Mrs Simsy

I agree with whoever complained about the repeats - absolutely no excuse for Chris King playing 5 tracks that were spun an hour earlier, that's pure laziness.

Cheers

Pete Fowler

Hello Pete

Enloyed ya set ay Brighouse Fri mate :thumbsup:

Now the Kings Hall comment above , Chris King followed ME on Saturday and he DEFFO did NOT repeat ANYTHING i played in the previous hour mate!! He even came up to me as i was about to follow Dave Evison and asked me to leave out the records i had played to he could see what id played when he arrived to follow me !!

I didnt hear him repeat anything Dave Evison played either to be honest, and my tunes neither!!

I SO enjoyed the Kings Hall on Saturday so good to see it humming again,

I tryed to play a cross section at the time i was on i think all in all people had a bit of evrything over the whole evening , and you always upset somebody , i see the Kings as a "good time "sorta Niter a "gathering of the clans" etc

Now Middleton is a diffrent Niter all togerher its the scenes "Hip" all niter and you expect to hear the best of the best there!! I really cant see why some people mosn about the Oldies that are played at Stoke for krikeys sake it is After All a Oldies Niter in the main.

Anyway i was booked to play from 11-30 thru 12-30 and this is what was on in that hour .

THE BELLES -- DONT PRETEND-- MIRWOOD

BALLADS -- I CANT SEE YOUR LOVE -- WEE RECORDS

JIMMY THOMAS -- THE BEAUTIFUL NIGHT -- uk PARLOPHONE Demo

EDDIE PARKER -- LOVE YOU BABY -- ASHFORD

THE CHARADES -- KEY TO MY HAPPINESS -- MGM

RICHIE ADAMS -- I CANT EXCAPE FROM YOU -- CONGRESS

TURLEY RICHARDS -- I FEEL ALRIGHT -- COLUMBIA Demo

VELOURS -- IM GONNA CHANGE -- MGM Demo

CODY BLACK -- IM SLOWLY MOULDING -- KING

GERRI HALL -- WHO CAN I RUN TO -- HOT LINE

AL GARDNER -- SWEET BABY -- SEPIA

YOUTH OPPORTUNITIES PROG. ---OF HOPES & DREAMS - COLUMBIA Demo

VOICES INCORPORATED ---THINKIN, COLUMBIA Demo

SAXIE RUSSELL --- PHYCHEDELIC SOUL -- THOMAS Demo

WILLIAMS & WATSON -- TOO LATE -- OKEH

LITTLE RICHARD -- I DONT WANNA DISCUSS IT -- uk COLUMBIA Demo

GENE CHANDLER -- MR BIG SHOT -- CONSTELLATION

FURYS -- IM SATISISFIED WITH YOU -- KEYMAN

JERRY COOK -- I HURT ON THE OPTHER SIDE -- CAPITOL Demo

NOLAN CHANCE -- JUST LIKE THE WEATHER -- CONSTELLATION

BAD WEATHER INC. -- I NEVER NEVER KNEW -- BAD WEATHER

BILLY DAVIES -- STANKY -- COBBELSTONE

JAMES CARR -- A LOSING GAME -- uk STATESIDE Demo

THE SHORT KUTS -- YOUR EYES MAY SHINE -- PEPPER Demo

CASULEERS -- DANCE DANCE DANCE

Not everones cup of tea on here i know but at the time i was on there choices seemed to hit the spot on the dance floor!! thumbup.gif

Love & Soul

Torchboy x

Gutted that i missed that set! :boxing: However we now know the way to the Kings Hall (i think... :thumbsup: ) so will hopefully be there a little earlier next time! laugh.gif

spot on comment sean ! superb set . this bloke needs to get out more yes.gifyes.gif:thumbsup:

a reply to some of the comments made...in my opinion...

sometimes the sound was a little distorted but kev had already said that the monitor was so loud on stage they didnt know how it sounded on the floor and as djs get into it as much as punters (or they should do)sometimes the volume can creep up at any gig !

not gonna name names cos im not sure who it was but i did notice 1 dj did repeat a few in his set.,i think kev had played them so maybe the said dj hadnt been there from start.. can remember most djs looking through the previous set without writing the setlists down from start this will never be completely sorted

im sure sean can stick up for himself but i though he played a great set of across the board sounds and said he had been requested a couple of 70s tracks...i guess you cant please all the people all the time...dont get me wrong im no lover of 70s/modern but they were good tracks and was only 10 mins !!....and the intro to the moments sounded f***** awesome after them....and as someone has said i dont think the music played had any thing to do with the "thinnin" crowd....rocker has put a vid on facebook of sean playing must have been about 4.30 and it still looked rammed to me !

i thought it was great to see so many youngsters ....some were obviously brought up on it with the right moves and clothes..others may have been locals only going for a late one but they were all well behaved and hopefully would have such a good time they will be the next generation the scene will soon need

Source Advert