The Emperor's New Clothes - Rare, But

Sweeney

As a result of recent threads discussing the likes of George Lemons, Chapter 5 etc. I've been moved to start a thread.

We've all experienced it... Been at a night and heard a sound introduced as a one-off / super rarity / acetate only / whatever. Record starts up, Only for you to think "You've been had mate, that's one of the worst things I've ever heard!"

Which records, in the board's esteemed opinion, fall into the category of Super-rare, Super-expensive and Super-rubbish. Don't be afraid to voice your choice! There are no wrong answers!

Social source share

• Replies 93
  • Views 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

As a result of recent threads discussing the likes of George Lemons, Chapter 5 etc. I've been moved to start a thread.

We've all experienced it... Been at a night and heard a sound introduced as a one-off / super rarity / acetate only / whatever. Record starts up, Only for you to think "You've been had mate, that's one of the worst things I've ever heard!"

Which records, in the board's esteemed opinion, fall into the category of Super-rare, Super-expensive and Super-rubbish. Don't be afraid to voice your choice! There are no wrong answers!

link

I'm coming home in the morning instrumental SWS

Social source share

Marrisa Gatti on POO PAN

It should go in the fucking poopan for sure

total shite.total rare and total overpriced drivel

fecking lots of leaves to cover the trees

lots of water to fill the sea..BOLLOX,BOLLOX,BOLLOX

or

SSSSSHHHHHIIIIIIIIIIIITE.

as they say in Manchester

the gasher

I have mentioned this before..or is this ranting Dejavu?

Edited by gash99
Social source share

Lady in Green - the Magnetics  :yes:

link

:thumbsup::yes::yes::ohmy:

Really?? Two great sides in my eyes.

Much more fitting for the title is Bob & Fred absolute rubbish possibly the worst record ever, G Lemons as discussed elsewhere just a seriously bad record, Buck Rogers and many many more, sadly its sometimes easier to think of rare crap than good stuff, or is that just me.

Cheers

Jock

Social source share

Oh the DIVERSITY ON THE SCENE

thats what make it fun..

I love Bob and Fred

and no they are not the names of the two guys I share a bedsit with

One of my Fave tunes..

ah well

"I guess I'll be on my way"

if you'll excuse the pun

the gasher

Social source share

Guest Awake 502

link

Social source share

Turbines - What More Can I Say? How about 'I'll stop singing now'?

The Springers - Nothing's Too Flat For My Singing

Hayes Cotton - Black Wings And No Tune Has My Angel

Robbie Lawson - Burning Desire To Burn This Record

CODs - She's Firing Up The Blowtorch And Who Can Blame Her

Puts on tin hat and retreats behind wall.

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

My opinion??

I like every record mentioned here. Not one would appear in my top ten of worst records.

The Magnetics is one of the best double siders ever, and Karen, Pikey et al, its a weekend in a room listening to the Aeroplane Song on loop for you blush.gif

And Dan can join you too. :thumbsup:

Social source share

My opinion??

I like every record mentioned here. Not one would appear in my top ten of worst records.

The Magnetics is one of the best double siders ever, and Karen, Pikey et al, its a weekend in a room listening to the Aeroplane Song on loop for you  blush.gif

And Dan can join you too.  :thumbsup:

link

bloody hell mikey

the aeroplane song...that's a good shout

Social source share

Teri Goodnight - They didn't know

Romance Watson - Where does that leave me

George "Earplugs" Lemmons - Fascinating girl

Billy Arnell - Tough girl

not sure how anyone can dislike Lady In Green mind...or Bob & Fred

now The Carstairs, that's a tune to hate

Social source share

not sure how anyone can dislike Lady In Green mind...

link

I can Pete.

It's not a run of the mill soul song - in fact, if it's not what you're used to hearing it can be a bit of a challenge.

Still there are plenty of those "Collection of 16 Big Hits" Motown comps that are nice and safe :thumbsup:

Godz

(legging it in case he's taken seriously...)

Social source share

The Vondells - Hey Girl - Airtown, apart from the intro this record is over priced, over played,over rated and sadly over here, vocally a real mess and if anyone can understand the lyrics then please tell me what it's all about, not only that but there are more copies around than it's rare status would suggest and should not be a big ticket item.

I'll get my coat - Mark Bicknell

Social source share

bloody hell mikey

link

Thirded - wish the plane would sodding crash again and take out the singer - truly mundane, pedestrian, unimaginative twoddle. As is the Magnetics, as (Princess) Karen's already mentioned shades.gif

I suggest Dean Barlow and all the other R&R clip clop rubbish - especially Barbara Redd - I'll Be All Alone :thumbsup: - wish she'd leave us well and truly alone at soul nights!!! blush.gif

Rich

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Antellects - Love slave

total and utter overrated nonsense

link

No like this too!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 looks like you should stick to your stiff little fingers and then stick em up your own **** :P:thumbsup:blush.gifshades.gif:shhh::shhh:

Social source share

The Vondells - Hey Girl - Airtown, apart from the intro this record is over priced, over played,over rated and sadly over here, vocally a real mess and if anyone can understand the lyrics then please tell me what it's all about, not only that but there are more copies around than it's rare status would suggest and should not be a big ticket item.

I'll get my coat - Mark Bicknell

link

:thumbsup:blush.gifshades.gif:shhh:

Mr Bicknell

:shhh::D:D:P

Social source share

Guest hammy

In my opinion the backlash against mediocre rare soul has almost gone too far. The fact that a record is expensive is, of course no guarentee that it's good but many records attract pelters on the basis that they cost a lot of money. Not a day goes by in the online world where someone posts up a record only for another person to query what it's worth, based on what it 'sounds like'.... I can count on one hand the number of people I know who collect records solely on that criterion and don't give a stuff about rarity.

Before I disappear right up my own fundament, I'll say this - there are very few records as 'tough' (in the sense of there being very few known copies) as people seem to think. 9 times out of 10 - rarity means " rarely seen for sale". A minor distinction, but an important one.

When people play records because they are 'rare' then they are no more likely to be good than if they're not rare. The word rare is pretty meaningless - especially when all the coopies of a particular tune end up in the hands of the top DJs.

Forget 'rare' ... think 'forgotten' is my motto - there ain't many DJs out there who push 'forgotten' soul but a heck of a lot who call themselves " rare soul DJs " and several million "oldies" DJs lol

I know which category I'd aspire to.

Apologies for waffling...

Hammy

PS - Frank WIlson - Do I love You ... very mediocre IMHO and no one would blink an eyelid at that if it was a tenner.

Hammy

Social source share

Guest rachel

CODs - She's Firing Up The Blowtorch And Who Can Blame Her

Puts on tin hat and retreats behind wall.

link

Agree on this one, not keen at all.

Do like George Lemmons and Antellects :thumbsup:

Social source share

bloody hell mikey

link

Too right, even worse than Bob and Fred! This is an insult to singers all over the karaoke world!

And Gash, you are not alone in the B&F fan club, was always popular North of the Border, I hated it from day one, and wasn't just being difficult (for once)!!

Cheers

Jock

Social source share

Guest hammy

As I sit sipping Darjeeling during my tea break another overrated turkey comes to mind...

Karmello Brooks - Tell Me Baby

Never got the appeal with this one - sounds like the theme tune to 70s/80s series "Tales of the Unexpected"

Hammy

Social source share

Guest rachel

As I sit sipping Darjeeling during my tea break another overrated turkey comes to mind...

Never got the appeal with this one - sounds like the theme tune to 70s/80s series "Tales of the Unexpected"

Hammy

link

:D:thumbsup:ohmy.giflaugh.gif:shhh::shhh:

I agree this shouldn't be as expensive as it is - because I can't afford one! :P

Social source share

Hammy

link

:thumbsup:yes.gifyes.gif

undoubtedly one of the best records I've ever heard

Social source share

Guest rachel

:thumbsup:   yes.gif   yes.gif

undoubtedly one of the best records I've ever heard

link

Pete, I keep agreeing with you about things, starting to worry me... :shhh:

Social source share

Agree on this one, not keen at all.

Do like George Lemmons and Antellects  :thumbsup:

link

thirded yes.gif

love them both

utter crap rare records IMHO

frank wilson-do i love you ------no i f**kin dont

CODs- shes fire

Social source share

Nelson Sanders mojo man, no words can describe how fucking shite this is. Hate it more than Larry Trider and thats saying something.

link

Another controversial post, that I know will upset some on here - anything that includes the words "Mojo" or "Voodoo" - urghh!!!

Social source share

thirded  :thumbsup:

love them both

utter crap rare records IMHO   

frank wilson-do i love you ------no i f**kin dont

CODs- shes fire

link

Take a listen to Frank Wilson and imagine you've never heard it before....it'll sound like the best record ever made...it's utterly brilliant as a northern soul record

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert