post-1700-1234012948.jpg

you can order now...lines are busy...

001-5-4-3-2-1

or

001-6-3-4-5-7-8-9

:thumbsup:

Is that his and hers Marc I have two I'll have off you in Sweden :yes:

Social source share

It was Kenny that John approached about selling/auctioning the FW, that is what Kenny said last week and I said as much early on and it didn't really take any working out really did it. Kenny did say he didn't want to sell and it would take a suicidal bid to prize it from him and if auctioned would have a suicidal reserve. JM's book price is £25k is it not. There is no 3rd copy as far as I know and the copy referred to as being for auction is Kenny's as far as I am aware but it will have a (in Kenny's words) a suicidal reserve. My guess is it will be auctioned with the mammoth reserve and if it doesn't sell then Kenny will not be bothered one bit.

Why would John come and put to bed all the rumours, he's getting plenty of great free advertising :thumbsup:

Social source share

Going back to JM's post re: Eddie Holland's possible influence,would Frank Wilson have also thought of himself as purely a writer at that time ?.

If DILY had been commercially successful,a follow up would have been ineviatable.The thought of a minor tour supporting bigger Motown names probably wouldn't have appealed to him.

Frank Wilson didn't just consider himself a writer, he was a singer as well and recorded on other labels under different names too (Sonny Daye). It was Berry Gordy who persuaded him his future was in writing and not recording.

Social source share

Well according to ginger last nite its kennys copy thats for sale and he is off up to see kenny tonite,so have no reason to doubt his word.

Which is the complete opposite to what I've been led to believe. I've been told definitively that the copy on the forthcoming auction is neither Tim's nor Kenny's and, in fact, is coming from another source entirely (i.e. a 3rd copy as I've said throughout this thread) and the third-party who owns the record wishes to remain anonymous, which seems fair enough.

Maybe Kenny's not 'going to the grave' with his copy after all, as a result of all this speculation possibly?

Possibly 2 Frank Wilson's for sale if Ginger is correct?

Like waiting for buses isn't it.......?

Weird, weird, weird..........

Ian D :thumbsup:

Edited by Ian Dewhirst
Social source share

Which is the complete opposite to what I've been led to believe. I've been told definitively that the copy on the forthcoming auction is neither Tim's nor Kenny's and, in fact, is coming from another source entirely (i.e. a 3rd copy as I've said throughout this thread) and the third-party who owns the record wishes to remain anonymous, which seems fair enough.

Maybe Kenny's not 'going to the grave' with his copy after all, as a result of all this speculation possibly?

Kenny's, Tim's, a third copy?.....everything will come out in the wash as we say up 'ere Ian :yes:

Edited by chalky
Social source share

I will av a fiver with you theres no third copy ian,pay me at prestatyn :yes: .

Social source share

I will av a fiver with you theres no third copy ian,pay me at prestatyn :thumbup: .

Hang on, let me make an insurance bet with Johnny first and then we'll up the stakes! :thumbup:

I actually have a little more info on the owner but I'm sworn to secrecy for obvious reasons. :P

On the other hand, was John playing some sort of reverse-psychology double-bluff endgame knowing that bigmouth Dewhirst is perfect free PR!!!! :thumbup:

Damn, I'm even beginning to doubt myself now LOL..... :thumbsup:

Can't take your dosh Andy - it would be like stealing candy from a baby plus I have conscience.... :yes:

Ian D :boxing:

Social source share

Hang on, let me make an insurance bet with Johnny first and then we'll up the stakes! :thumbup:

I actually have a little more info on the owner but I'm sworn to secrecy for obvious reasons. :P

On the other hand, was John playing some sort of reverse-psychology double-bluff endgame knowing that bigmouth Dewhirst is perfect free PR!!!! :thumbup:

Can't take your dosh Andy - it would be like stealing candy from a baby plus I have conscience.... :yes:

Ok make it a tenner :thumbup: ,and belive me i will take it i have no conscience and i WILL

Social source share

Ok make it a tenner :thumbup: ,and belive me i will take it i have no conscience and i WILL say

Social source share

Ok make it a tenner :thumbup: ,and belive me i will take it i have no conscience and i WILL say told

Social source share

Ok make it a tenner :thumbup: ,and belive me i will take it i have no conscience and i WILL say ,told you so

:shades: . Edited by Soultown andy
Social source share

is he selling cos the secret is out it was stolen by Simon Souusan from Motown :thumbsup:

Y'know Bearsy, I've been thinking about this a little bit more and I reckon that Frank Wilson has probably made at least £100K as a direct result of Simon nicking that copy from Motown!

Frank Wilson should THANK Simon Soussan LOL!

The track was used on the Kentucky Fried Chicken ad and Frank would have earned somewhere around £50-80,000 from his songwriting royalties from that as it was advertised extensively on terrestrial TV and was a major campaign. It's the holy-grail of earnings if you're a songwriter.

Plus, earlier on this thread, someone was good enough to print a discography of all the compilation albums it's been on over the last 20 years which will have earnt Frank at least another £20-30K.

So, in this bizarre, weird, twisted tale we have a situation where a French Morroccan wheeling-dealing record hustler steals "Do I Love You (Indeed I Do)" from Motown and inadvertantly earns Frank Wilson £100K as a direct result!

You couldn't make it up!

Ian D :yes:

Social source share

Ian D :thumbup:

They say self knowledge comes with age Ian!

Social source share

Does Frank own the rights then Ian ? Or is it "Jobete" ?

Cheers Paul

Jobete, but I think we can safely assume that Frank Wilson earned back his publishing advance in the 60's thus "Do I Love (Indeed I Do)" coming out in the 80's, 90's and 00's would have been all cream as we say in the trade.......even on a 80/20% split in Frank's favour.......

Social source share

Ok make it a tenner :P ,and belive me i will take it i have no conscience and i WILL say ,told you so :thumbup: .

Care to up it to a grand Andy? Can't be dicking around with chump change...... :thumbsup:

Bear in mind that I've known both John and Ginger for 30 years and consider them both friends, so one of 'em is either mistaken or the other is being economical with the truth.

And you have to ask yourself this: whose word do you take?

An internationally renowned record dealer with a long history of successful weekly auctions and a reputation to protect or Ginger from Tod?

Decisions, decisions Andy.....

By the way, can you pull out fifties mate? I don't want to be lugging change around @ Prestatyn....... :yes:

Ian D :thumbup:

Edited by Ian Dewhirst
Social source share

Guest t.o.t.s.s.c

It was Kenny that John approached about selling/auctioning the FW, that is what Kenny said last week and I said as much early on and it didn't really take any working out really did it. Kenny did say he didn't want to sell and it would take a suicidal bid to prize it from him and if auctioned would have a suicidal reserve. JM's book price is £25k is it not. There is no 3rd copy as far as I know and the copy referred to as being for auction is Kenny's as far as I am aware but it will have a (in Kenny's words) a suicidal reserve. My guess is it will be auctioned with the mammoth reserve and if it doesn't sell then Kenny will not be bothered one bit.

Why would John come and put to bed all the rumours, he's getting plenty of great free advertising :D

in an earlier post

john manship said there is no reserve on the auction plus he will

underwrite any shortfall on the sellers pre determined valuation .which

means the owner could actually be the winning bidder thus keeping the

record and getting a shortfall payment from john.

Social source share

This is getting stupid. Has anyone actually talked to Kenny & can confirm that he has said the copy is or isn't his? Tell the truth & quit baiting everyone. Someone just tell me, I'm not gonna bother buying some magazine from Manship to get the full story. All this crap about "I talked to Kenny, it's not his" vs "ooh but I talked to him & it is" just make up your friggin minds & post if it's one of the 2 known copies, one of Berry Gordy's speculative 3rd & 4th copies or a previously unknown 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th/box of 150. I am losing sleep over this people.........!!??

Social source share

in an earlier post

I think you will find that it means the winning bidder gets it.

and john pays the full reserve to Kenny making up the difference from his own pocket

Social source share

in an earlier post

Clause 3 of Shortform Auction Agreement:

1V) Owner cannot bid on the designated item or assign a proxy bid on behalf of himself

Ian D :D

Social source share

Guest familytree

Y'know Bearsy, I've been thinking about this a little bit more and I reckon that Frank Wilson has probably made at least £100K as a direct result of Simon nicking that copy from Motown!

Frank Wilson should THANK Simon Soussan LOL!

The track was used on the Kentucky Fried Chicken ad and Frank would have earned somewhere around £50-80,000 from his songwriting royalties from that as it was advertised extensively on terrestrial TV and was a major campaign. It's the holy-grail of earnings if you're a songwriter.

Plus, earlier on this thread, someone was good enough to print a discography of all the compilation albums it's been on over the last 20 years which will have earnt Frank at least another £20-30K.

So, in this bizarre, weird, twisted tale we have a situation where a French Morroccan wheeling-dealing record hustler steals "Do I Love You (Indeed I Do)" from Motown and inadvertantly earns Frank Wilson £100K as a direct result!

You couldn't make it up!

Intriguing... and your right you couldnt make it up!.. hey so thats two movies that would be killers.. the Soussan one and the Frank one... both of which you would get a part in! back to Hollywood for you ?... think on! ha x

Edited by familytree
Social source share

For some reason in JM latest guide, he breaks down the Frank Wilson valuation into 3 parts, Tim Browns copy, Kenny Burrells Copy and for some reason a mint 3rd copy (should it ever come up for auction). In my experience of JM, everything he says or does, normally has a reason or plan behind it! SO COULD A THIRD ALSO BE IN THE WINDS AFTER ALL??

Oh quelle surprise Andy......

Wonder why on earth he would have done that.....?

Social source share

Intriguing... and your right you couldnt make it up!.. hey so thats two movies that would be killers.. the Soussan one and the Frank one... both of which you would get a part in! back to Hollywood for you ?... think on! ha x

Yep, Warners, Fox and Dreamworks all vying for the Soussan one and HBO for "Anatomy Of An Auction: The Strange And Compelling Story Of Frank Wilson" 'cos we need to go a bit highbrow for the documentary........... :D

Social source share

I spoke to John as I'm thrashing out an article on this and he's confirmed to me that this is a bona-fide 3rd copy from a private collector who wishes to remain anonymous, as pointed out earlier in the thread.

The fact remains since 1965 there has been 2 copies known to this scene and one of them is damaged.

john

QUOTE. CUNNIE 8/9/08.

Think Ive mentioned this before on here but can confirm 100% that there is a Motown collector in London who owns a copy of FW as ive seen it ? .

3rd copy ?

Was hoping this didn't get trawled up but now it has I can confirm there is a copy in the hands of a London area Motown collector but pretty sure it's NOT the copy John is planning to auction.

Have actually seen/held the copy & it's in near mint condition as well or it was in 2000 when I saw it.

Guy who owns it don't have anything to do with the Northern/Rare Soul scene & he don't go waving it around saying look what I've got.

Not going to say who he is as was asked not to by the owner so don't waste your time asking me as I'm keeping stum.

Social source share

I know at least 3 Pop/Rock performers, 2 radio DJ's and a famous artist who will want this too. I think it'll go way beyond most mortals expectations. As you say the tale has spread over the last 30 years and reached a lot of people outside the scene. You can bet there'll be a few people would like to display this in their studios/office/galleries......

Current Betting:

Damien Hirst Evens

Paul Weller 2-1

Mark Lamarr 3-1

Steve Craddock 5-1

Duffy 100-1

Not as daft as it sounds Ian.

Just think of the media hype if Hirsty outbid Weller for it & then went on to encase the worlds most expensive record in formaldahide & passed it off as a work of art :D

Be worth millions then if it ever came up for sale again :D:(

Social source share

Was hoping this didn't get trawled up but now it has I can confirm there is a copy in the hands of a London area Motown collector but pretty sure it's NOT the copy John is planning to auction.

Have actually seen/held the copy & it's in near mint condition as well or it was in 2000 when I saw it.

Guy who owns it don't have anything to do with the Northern/Rare Soul scene & he don't go waving it around saying look what I've got.

Not going to say who he is as was asked not to by the owner so don't waste your time asking me as I'm keeping stum.

:D

Social source share

Just think of the media hype if Hirsty outbid Weller for it & then went on to encase the worlds most expensive record in formaldahide & passed it off as a work of art :D

Be worth millions then if it ever came up for sale again :D:D

if you go back to ians thread from last year(easter)(topic) all the great record finds in the usa the amount of amazing stories on there from a multitude of people, finding the most amazing records and in quantities, why did know one find a frank wilson, loads of these stories came from before the record was on the scene, so a record on the soul label by a guy not known to them surely would have stuck out like a sore thumb,also when this record was sold for 15k it was a astronomical sum in those days you could buy a house with it then, so if some average joe soap had a copy it would have been out and for sale, still say if its a third copy it motown owned.. i was in the bookies the other day, there was a old black guy(with a american accent in there asking what odds would they give for a tamla motown record to reach number one in the uk in 2009 ????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Social source share

wouldn't happen to be a London Cabbie would he?

Social source share

Why would John come and put to bed all the rumours, he's getting plenty of great free advertising :D

Confirmed, I was also there last week...... Reference was made to April fool.... maybe thats just what it is !!!! Lots and lots of hype, a great, no fantastic piece of marketing and PR, lots of Motown collectables to be sold re the 50th Anniversary, DILY watches, clocks, T-shirts, mugs..... blah de blah.... Gone Fishing....hook, line and sinker.

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

Wow this is soo good to be true something i would love to own. I did read in record collector few years ago about a 3rd copy and rubbished it off after i read here you lot saying or most saying it's only 2 copies known.

But i would hope that it is some Northern soul collector who can buy and not someone who ain't intrestered cause that to me just makes me angry even if it's a song that is less rare i still hate it that you can go to say a record fair and want a record costing say £10 that you collect the music of but get someone else buying first before you who has no intrested what so ever in it all because he/she might like to sell it on or like the cover.

I would rather buy something i like and not buy anything that don't interest me and let someone who does want it buy it.

It's like having greed when you meet someone who buys all copies of a known record so no one else can have a copy.

so i predict well over £15,000 at least £30,000 or something it will go to and hoping it's a Northern soul collector. Plus who has the said instrumental copy of this, it can't be one Andy Smudge Smith can it. I know he played a version before but that could be some other copy (not original)

Oh and it does make me angry that people will get autographs etc on records maybe for the fact they don't want the next person to own it to get more value from it. I have always when i had LP's and CD's etc always got sleeves signed never a record.

Edited by WPaulVanDyk
Social source share

Care to up it to a grand Andy? Can't be dicking around with chump change...... :D

Bear in mind that I've known both John and Ginger for 30 years and consider them both friends, so one of 'em is either mistaken or the other is being economical with the truth.

And you have to ask yourself this: whose word do you take?

An internationally renowned record dealer with a long history of successful weekly auctions and a reputation to protect or Ginger from Tod?

Decisions, decisions Andy.....

By the way, can you pull out fifties mate? I don't want to be lugging change around @ Prestatyn....... :D

Ian D :)

I know them both myself ian and i dont deal in chump change, still not biteing thou :( if theres one being sold by john its kennys :D .

Edited by Soultown andy
Social source share

I know them both myself ian and i dont deal in chump change, still not biteing thou :D if theres one being sold by john its kennys :D .

Mmmm . Do I detect the slightest frisson of doubt from the previously bombastic tone of yesterday I ask myself? It's 10.00am Sunday morning and no doubt someone's managed to track Kenny down but the thread's not exactly full of "I spoke To Kenny last night and he definitively confirmed that he will in fact be cremated and Frank Wilson will not be going in the coffin with him" etc, etc.....

Damn. I was relying on that quick grand to upgrade to a luxury chalet and scour the cathouses of Prestatyn........

Social source share

Confirmed, I was also there last week...... Reference was made to April fool.... maybe thats just what it is !!!! Lots and lots of hype, a great, no fantastic piece of marketing and PR, lots of Motown collectables to be sold re the 50th Anniversary, DILY watches, clocks, T-shirts, mugs..... blah de blah.... Gone Fishing....hook, line and sinker.

With the best will in the world Philly, John has a reputation to protect and I don't he'd stoop to such tactics - an April fool joke would almost certainly rebound on him I think.....

However, I think T-Shirts will be done 'cos he'd be crazy not to and I think the only way someone will be able to buy the limited-edition T-Shirt is to actually register a bid for the record, thus giving John a shot at not only the most expensive Soul record of all time but also the greatest number of bidders! Game plan is to get Frank Wilson into the Guinness Book Of Records where he belongs!

Ian D biggrin.gif

Social source share

Just think of the media hype if Hirsty outbid Weller for it & then went on to encase the worlds most expensive record in formaldahide & passed it off as a work of art ohmy.gif

Be worth millions then if it ever came up for sale again :thumbsup::thumbup:

Actually I was being serious Cunnie. It's right up Damien's street mate. He's very good at turning expensive things onto 'objets d'art' and then flogging 'em to oil-rich Saudis who get a serious tax-break if they buy something for billions and host it in Saudi Arabia!

It's not beyond the realm of possibilities that Frank Wilson could be displayed in a diamond-encrusted frame with a multi-million price tag attached to it (cue streams of arab laden helicoptors flying to Damien's private heliport in Stroud to view Frank Wilson), which will then vanish to Saudi Arabia and be hung next to a diamond-encrusted skull.

Obviously we can't allow this happen, so the obvious solution is for all members of Soul Source to chip-in £100 apiece and own their own personal percentage of Frank Wilson! Each member will then receive a bonded certificate of ownership which they can frame and display above their own mantlepieces! :rolleyes:

Social source share

Actually I was being serious Cunnie. It's right up Damien's street mate. He's very good at turning expensive things onto 'objets d'art' and then flogging 'em to oil-rich Saudis who get a serious tax-break if they buy something for billions and host it in Saudi Arabia!

It's not beyond the realm of possibilities that Frank Wilson could be displayed in a diamond-encrusted frame with a multi-million price tag attached to it (cue streams of arab laden helicoptors flying to Damien's private heliport in Stroud to view Frank Wilson), which will then vanish to Saudi Arabia and be hung next to a diamond-encrusted skull.

Obviously we can't allow this happen, so the obvious solution is for all members of Soul Source to chip-in £100 apiece and own their own personal percentage of Frank Wilson! Each member will then receive a bonded certificate of ownership which they can frame and display above their own mantlepieces! laugh.gif

Ian D :rolleyes:

Upon first reading , I thought you had put " Bondage " certificate : but knowing you Ian , I may not be far from the truth ........

Malc Burton

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert