Boomerang, Thorne

• Replies 34
  • Views 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Karen and I could not have wished for a better night, with a very healthy turnout and lots of smiles all round. We want to thank :thumbsup: everyone again for being there and also MickH, Arthur Fenn & Trev Thomas for playing that luscious vinyl for us all.

My camera disappeared early (somewhere on stage :thumbsup: ), so it may be a few days before I get Karen's pics up on the website www.boomerangsoul.co.uk - please visit us soon. Per numerous requests, I am also chasing playlists and hope to post those up soon.

We're very pleased to announce our upcoming dates for "Boomerang" at the Canal Tavern in Thorne:

Saturday 12th May

A 'back to Thorne' special!

Gary Welsh

+ tba

Saturday 4th August

Soul Sam

Andy Whitmore

Saturday 10th November

tba

===== All join regular guest Arthur Fenn & resident Maria O =====

BOOMERANG ~ Featuring quality 60s and 70s soul

....We both hope you 'keep coming back' - just like a boomerang! wink.gif

m

Edited by Maria O

Can't believe I am the first to report about what was an awesome night of music and a welcome return to Doncaster for quality soul , we usually have to travel up to an hour for music like this.

Never went 1st time round but will certainly be regulars now.

Brilliant stuff from all DJ's concerned especially Mick H's almost 2 hour spot at the end.

Shame about the Ice rink , sorry dance floor but that did not spoil what was the best soul night for some time IMO, a bit less talc needed next time me thinks.

Credit to Maria,Arthur,Karen and anyone else involved in organising this and the 3 future events for 2007, can't wait.

Nice to see Pete and Gail back in the land of the living, I'm sure you'll make up for it in the coming weeks, see you at Frobisher next Sat.

See You All Soon

Paul & Sue, Doncaster. :thumbsup::thumbsup:thumbsup.gif

Great night Maria & co :thumbsup:

Was great to be back in't Canal Tavern but everything seemed back to front for some reason, probably me as a few pints have been downed since the likes of Fish, Welshy & Rod ran it.

Get onto't dj's backs for the playlists as me & Steve want to know what the track Mick played was. Can't remember what it was called but he said it got it's 1st play last week at Lifeline but for some reason we both knew it.

Thanks for the lift as well Steve :thumbsup:

Roll on May 12th.

Shame about the Ice rink , sorry dance floor but that did not spoil what was the best soul night for some time IMO, a bit less talc needed next time me thinks.

Speaking to Karen this morning, she said a few people slipped on the wet floor :thumbsup: . We plan to monitor things better next time.

Really pleased that so many came and enjoyed it, but obviously the nerves and planning are back in readiness for the next one :yes: .

I'm really lucky to have Karen doing this with me, as she's been working really hard to get the word out there - with flyers and phone calls and hammering the venues. Thankfully she hardly let me near the door last night, coz I was not the designated driver :thumbsup: and tweaking the sound equipment (badly) was about all I could manage.

I'll print and send Karen these posts as she'll be thrilled to read them (I'll exclude this one off course shhh.gif )

Both of us just want a good night out to hear the kind of soul music we love, see lots of smiles - and without always travelling so far

Hopefully with your support, we can fullfill our selfish needs :D

Also, aside from the DJs - a big thank you to Pete, Malayka, Gary, Arthur and Dave for being our very willing helpers/supporters :thumbsup:

m

Edited by Maria O
Guest 2648 W Grand Boulevard

Totally agree with the comments above I really enjoyed the first Boomerang and shift work permitting will return for the next one. The music played was really good, some I knew and others I thought well this is interesting, so can you expedite the playlists please. Everyone who was there seemed to enjoy the night as well, echoing PS-Souls comments if Boomerang hadnt been on I would have probably headed for the Rothwell with the Hemsworth Soul Sisterhood but sometimes you have to make a difficult choice and I decided that it would be better to try and support a first night. I will still attempt to get to the Rothwell at some point in the future though as I've heard some good things about it.

My ladyfriend who attended Boomerang with me enjoyed the night as well considering it was her first time ever at a Soul function. See you at the Earl

Keep up the good work,

Dave

:thumbsup:shout.gifwicked.gif:thumbsup:

So pleased to hear it was a roaring success - but I knew it would be. You've got all the right ingredients going for you, and the philosophy behind Boomerang is spot on.

So sorry we couldn't come but we'd spent half the day in A&E with Johns mystery 'dislocated' shoulder, and with me suffering from Bird Flu - it was like Holby City Chez Nightingale yesterday.

Love to my Soul Sisters and congratulations on your innaugaural night.

Ali (waving snotty hanky in your direction :thumbsup: )

here ya go, before maria starts chasing me, my playlist from last nite, cant remember what order they were played in

joe moore - i aint - verve

soulful 7 - ive got a feeling - mgm

arabians - (please) take a chance on me - le mans

johnny hampton - not my girl - dottys

melvin davis - i must love you - groovesville

lorraine rudolph - keep coming back for more - jet stream

sandy hadley - since i found a love - so-char

ethics - i want my baby back - vent

e j & the echoes - youre gonna hurt - diamond jim

frank polk - trying to keep up with the jonses - capital

theresa lindsey - its love - correc-tone

jackson bros - i gotta hear it from you - providence

pat & blenders - just because - fast eddie

arcades - theres got to be a loser - triad

yvonne daniels - dont wanna get away from your love - sterling

willie hatcher - good things come to those who wait - columbia

linda jones - just cant live my life - warner bros

volcanos - laws of love - arctic

erma franklin - abracadabra - epic

charles lamont - ive got to keep movin - challenge

leroy barbour - i aint going nowhere - frontiersman

george blackwell - cant lose my head - smoke

new yorkers - dont wanna be your fool - tac-ful

o'jays - no time for you - imperial

lost soul - secret of mine - raven

johnny gilliam - baby take me back - modern

Guest soul kitten

Really enjoyed out 1st trip to Thorne,

got lost yet again but the local youth showed us the way

arrived to hear Trev spot :thumbsup: (not too many mentions of Leeds United ,Southampton wicked.gif )

Mick H excelled as always, Arthur Fenn too

Nice to see lots of people supported Maria and Karens 1st night you did yourselves proud girls :lol:laugh.gif

Get the ice rink sorted and you have a great night there

Good company ,Good Music,Good Venue

Cheers :thumbsup:

Great night out, Maria and Karen did a great job, had a fab night out. Thanks Shaun and Steve for getting Che and Morgan to the venue safe and sound from Brough. So cool to see so many old mates, Tats was on top form and 'man mountain' Buddy. See you at the next one, did feel a bit spooky being back at the Tavern after so many years.

Big thanks to our landlady, Karen for the night, awesome video of Al Wilson, Pete. :thumbsup:

Thank's all for an excellent nite - so pleased Marie n Karen that you had a great turnout, tbh don't think you could have got many more in.. Very relaxed atmosphere and everyone in good spirits enjoying good music and company.... :thumbsup:

Noticed the dance floor became too slippy towards the end of the night, but apart from that spot on.....

Well done Marie, Karen n all the dj's for a top nite... :thumbsup:

Karen

here ya go, before maria starts chasing me, my playlist from last nite

So you missed all those messages I had left you :lol: - thanks Trev!

I've been working away on the computer most of the day, so it's been nice to pop in-and-out to read feedback.

Really sorry John & yourself missed this Ali - but hope you both feel better soon and we'll see you over your way and no doubt at Thorne too. Thank you Malayka and Dave for helping Karen on the door.

MickH seemed to enjoy himself and is planning to send his playlist tomorrow, so I can post it up.

I've managed to also corner Arthur Fenn for two neat piles of vinyl - unfortunately, he then made me type them out :rolleyes:

ARTHUR FENN

SET 1 (8pm-8.30)

Bobby Taylor - Don't Be Afraid (Gordy LP)

J.O.B. Orquestra - Don't Want That Illusion (Govinda LP)

Wee - Try Me (Owl LP)

Willie Hutch - Easy Does It (Whitfield LP)

Alice Clark - Charms Of The Arms Of Love (Mainstream LP)

Art Gentry - This Is My Chance (Kent promo LP)

Al Thomas - Too Sweet (Rocking House LP)

Jackie Wilson - Whispers (Getting' Louder) (Brunswick LP)

Margaret Royal - I'll Never Go Away (Tra-X)

Bobby Shannon - You're An Uplift (To-Mar)

Little Samson - Don't Take Your Love (El D)

Barbara Stant - (You've Got To) Try It Again (Shiptown)

Ernie Johnson - Big Man Cry (Steph and Lee)

Willie Darrington - Never Should Have Walked Away (RAV)

SET 2 (10.30-11.30pm)

The Nu-Rons - All Of My Life (Nu-Ron)

Gloria Scott - (A Case Of) Too Much Lovemakin' (Casablanca LP)

Young Ladies - "I'm Tired Of Running Around" (Stang)

Connie Lavern - Can't Live Without You (GSF)

Cookie Woodson - I'll Be True (Colossus)

Ad-Libs - I Don't Need No Fortune Teller (Passion)

Carmelita - Isn't It Lonely (Carmen)

Detroit Sounds Of Friction - "I'm Leaving You" (Heavy Sound)

Bobby Reed - The Time Is Right For Love (Bell)

Ice - "Reality" (Ice)

Jesse James - If You Want A Love Affair (20th Century)

LaRom Baker - You're The Best (The Record Company)

Archie Hodge - I Really Want To See You Girl (Narco)

Kae Williams - "Our Love Is Dying" (GM)

The Montclairs - "Hey You! Don't Fight It!" (Arch)

Stormie Wynters - Life Saver (Mercury)

Charles Mintz - Running Back (Up-Look)

Lynn Varnado - Wash and Wear Love (Gator)

m

Great night out, Maria and Karen did a great job, had a fab night out. Thanks Shaun and Steve for getting Che and Morgan to the venue safe and sound from Brough. So cool to see so many old mates, Tats was on top form and 'man mountain' Buddy. See you at the next one, did feel a bit spooky being back at the Tavern after so many years.

Big thanks to our landlady, Karen for the night, awesome video of Al Wilson, Pete. :lol:

What a top night I'm still recovering. Ouch :thumbsup: . All good reports from me Louby Shaun & Robin, we had a right adventure. It was a night to remember. I just wish I could......... remember

Indeedy tats was on top form especially picking Belita Woods 'magic Corner' up for a tenner. So he said anyway.

We thought it was great and just right to be on every 3 months. It won't get overkill or stale that way.

Well done Maria, Kazza, Arthur and everyone. Sorry if any of us were pests, i think it's a Hull thing generally :rolleyes:

Steve & Louby (& Shaun & Robin)

Willie Hutch - Easy Does It (Whitfield LP)

Class - did this come out on 45?

I've seen it listed but never had one - having to make do with the 12"

Yes it did got a copy , thet do crop up now & then

I thought I may as well just keep typing (in readiness for the next website update), so here's my resident DJ playlist from 8.30-9.30pm for anyone who might be interested in the type of earlydoor sounds that you might hear next time:

The Side Show - "Lonely Girl" (Trey)

Vee Gees - Talkin (Jump Off)

The Nicky Newarkers - Woman (Mercury)

Exportations - I Want You (Vir-ro)

The Hamilton Movement - She's Gone (Look-Out)

The Precious Three - I Need A Man (Ref-O-Ree)

The Shadows - Beautiful Heaven (Mercury)

Vee Vee - I'm Your Fool (Movement)

The Soul Set - Will You Ever Learn (Bi-Me)

The Districts - One Lover (Just Won't Do) (Nile)

George Hobson - Let It Be Real (Sound City)

Richard Caiton - I Like To Get Near You (Up Tight)

Flowers - For Real (Laxpressio)

James Phelps - The Look On Your Face (Apache)

The Mark-keys - My Sweet Baby (TCB)

Clydie King - Soft And Gentle Ways (Imperial)

The Flirtations - Stronger Than Her Love (Festival)

Cookie Scott & the Chevelles - I Don't Care (What The People Say) (Orr)

Althea Spencer - Take Me Baby (AV International)

Jackie Verdell - Are You Ready For This (Decca)

m

Edited by Maria O

WELL WHAT`S TO BE SAID? GAIL & I GOT UP FROM OUR DEATH BEDS (WELL ALMOST ) FOR THIS VERY LOCAL EVENT, WAS IT WORTH IT? YOU BETCHA ASS IT WAS !! :D

WELL DONE ARTHUR & ALL CONCERNED, EXCELLENT MUSIC, BRILLIANT COMPANY & A GREAT SIZE VENUE :rolleyes: . GOT A LITTLE WARM LATER ON & CONDENSATION MADE FLOOR A TAD DIFFICULT TO NAVIGATE SAFELY, WHICH MADE FOR AN ODD SIGHT OF MOST PEOPLE TRYING TO DANCE AT ONE END OF THE FLOOR BUT HEY, A SMALL PRICE TO PAY FOR SUCH A GOOD NIGHT & I`M SURE IT WILL BE RECTIFIED NEXT VISIT :yes: .

THIS PLACE IS GOING TO BE AS POPULAR AS IN THE 80`S. ALTHOUGH WE NEVER WENT THEN BUT THATS OUR LOSE :( . DJ`s AS GOOD AS EXPECTED & PLAYING ALL OUR FAV`S & MORE. ESPECIALLY ENJOYED MICK H & TREV THOMAS (1st TIME ) :no: .

NICE TO SEE FACES I DON`T KNOW THERE BUT BETTER TO SEE THOSE I DID KNOW, USUAL LIFELINE/ WILTONION TYPES; CHALKY/KAREN, ANDY/HEATHER, BIG IAN & HIS ENTOURAGE, DENISE & SUE (1st UP DANCING ), PAUL & SUE, STEVE MANION , LOUBY & STEVE (WHOM I`M SURE HAD EMBIBED A WITCH DOCTORS POTION, AS I COULD HARDLY UNDERSTAND HIM LATER IN NIGHT !!) :ohmy: LAST (I KNOW I`LL HAVE FORGOTTEN SOMEONE ) BUT NOT LEAST NOTTINGHAMS ANSWER TO THE OLSEN TWINS, THE EVER EFFAFESCENT & GORGEOUS MUNDY & WINDY (GERTY & FLIRTY ) :):wub:whistling.gif

AS THE MAN SAID, "I`LL BE BACK ", TAKE CARE & BE SAFE,

SPOT. :D

Edited by spot
Guest Black Gold of the Sun

WELL WHAT`S TO BE SAID? GAIL & I GOT UP FROM OUR DEATH BEDS (WELL ALMOST ) FOR THIS VERY LOCAL EVENT, WAS IT WORTH IT? YOU BETCHA ASS IT WAS !! :D

WELL DONE ARTHUR & ALL CONCERNED, EXCELLENT MUSIC, BRILLIANT COMPANY & A GREAT SIZE VENUE :thumbup: . GOT A LITTLE WARM LATER ON & CONDENSATION MADE FLOOR A TAD DIFFICULT TO NAVIGATE SAFELY, WHICH MADE FOR AN ODD SIGHT OF MOST PEOPLE TRYING TO DANCE AT ONE END OF THE FLOOR BUT HEY, A SMALL PRICE TO PAY FOR SUCH A GOOD NIGHT & I`M SURE IT WILL BE RECTIFIED NEXT VISIT :yes: .

THIS PLACE IS GOING TO BE AS POPULAR AS IN THE 80`S. ALTHOUGH WE NEVER WENT THEN BUT THATS OUR LOSE :( . DJ`s AS GOOD AS EXPECTED & PLAYING ALL OUR FAV`S & MORE. ESPECIALLY ENJOYED MICK H & TREV THOMAS (1st TIME ) :thumbup: .

NICE TO SEE FACES I DON`T KNOW THERE BUT BETTER TO SEE THOSE I DID KNOW, USUAL LIFELINE/ WILTONION TYPES; CHALKY/KAREN, ANDY/HEATHER, BIG IAN & HIS ENTOURAGE, DENISE & SUE (1st UP DANCING ), PAUL & SUE, STEVE MANION , LOUBY & STEVE (WHOM I`M SURE HAD EMBIBED A WITCH DOCTORS POTION, AS I COULD HARDLY UNDERSTAND HIM LATER IN NIGHT !!) :ohmy: LAST (I KNOW I`LL HAVE FORGOTTEN SOMEONE ) BUT NOT LEAST NOTTINGHAMS ANSWER TO THE OLSEN TWINS, THE EVER EFFAFESCENT & GORGEOUS MUNDY & WINDY (GERTY & FLIRTY ) :wicked::wub::rolleyes:

AS THE MAN SAID, "I`LL BE BACK ", TAKE CARE & BE SAFE,

SPOT. :shades:

Pete you must get yourself a dictionary or at least let me proof read your your posts .People will think you never went to school :D .Anyway,what a brilliant night,you wouldnot hear better music anywhere.Highlights for me were Wee off the LP from Arthur and the anthemic Stevens and Foster from Mick but they were just two of many outstanding tunes. Hats off to all concerned on putting on a great night :thumbsup:

Big thanks to our landlady, Karen for the night, awesome video of Al Wilson, Pete. :thumbsup:

I think the Man Mountain you meant "Buddy" is me Dave BULLY!

Great Night What I can remember off it!

Great to see the likes of Chalky, who even though we live in the same town, I ain't seen in years out.

I hope that this is just the beginning of what could well be a great night in the making!

I certainly had a great time, although I must apologoise to Arthur for hurting his leg. That was because you let Tats have the Belita Wooods and Not ME! And yes Steve, it was a tenner. I was there when he bought it. Also a bargain on the Rozetta Johnson. Good Old Tats, he is like a Gold Miner!

Lucky Ba****d!!!!!! :rolleyes:

I think the Man Mountain you meant "Buddy" is me Dave BULLY!

Great Night What I can remember off it!

Great to see the likes of Chalky, who even though we live in the same town, I ain't seen in years out.

I hope that this is just the beginning of what could well be a great night in the making!

I certainly had a great time, although I must apologoise to Arthur for hurting his leg. That was because you let Tats have the Belita Wooods and Not ME! And yes Steve, it was a tenner. I was there when he bought it. Also a bargain on the Rozetta Johnson. Good Old Tats, he is like a Gold Miner!

Lucky Ba****d!!!!!! :rolleyes:

What do you mean apologoise to Arthur, half of us were walking round with a limp :thumbup: . Good to see you, I don't know what they put in the water round your way, but bugger me your a big guy

Dave

I don't know what they put in the water round your way, but bugger me your a big guy

Dave

You wouldn't want Bully to 'Bugger you' Dave.

I should know, I've slept with him.

About 10 years ago in Baltimore, Me, Tats and Bully shared a room with two beds.

Tats drew the long straw and me and the Bull got into the same bed.

Just dropping to sleep when he whispers in my ear "Shall we make a chair, Sean?"

:rolleyes:

I never slept a wink all night!

:thumbsup:

Sean

You wouldn't want Bully to 'Bugger you' Dave.

I should know, I've slept with him.

About 10 years ago in Baltimore, Me, Tats and Bully shared a room with two beds.

Tats drew the long straw and me and the Bull got into the same bed.

Just dropping to sleep when he whispers in my ear "Shall we make a chair, Sean?"

:thumbsup:

I never slept a wink all night!

:(

Sean p_up.gifp_report.gif Still Have Very Fond memories of That Trip!

The hotel in Baltimore where I asked The Bar Maid "Are Ya Aying One Wi Us Duck"!!!

The total look of Horror on Her Face!!!!!!!!!!!! She did not understand a Word I had just said!

And Obviously "The Ju Stones" story!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What Happy Memories!

The Bulmesiter! :thumbsup:

ok guys & dolls firstly a big thanks to maria & karen for inviting me to there first promotional adventure at thorne.a truly fantastic night from start to finish.maria has given her orders to post my playlist or i have to supply her guiness & straws for the next month.so here is what i remember for the two hour set

lynn vernardo second hand love-yumie

herbie brown -one more broken heart-ba

ernie johnson -i can,t stop the pain-artco

the differences -five minutes-mon,ca

percy stone -chained-ram

exportations-i want you -vir-ro

norris vines -give in-77 dynamite

mixed feelings -sha-la-la-united

the exceptions -baby you know i need you-groovey grooves

earls -everybody,s got somebody-tee-ti

george smallwood-touching is my thing-smallwood

four dynamics-things that a lady ain,t suppose to do-peachtree

soul for sale -let me -cu

jeanie tracey-making new friends-brown door

esther grant-her i,am -cu

belita woods -foolish girl -cu

stevens & foster-i want to be love-jerri

ellipsis-people-briarmeade

tolbert-i,ve got it-rojac

little reubin -in the name of loneliness-nr

fluorescent smogg-all my life-wg

earl white jnr-very special girl-cygnet

brand new -thousand years-du-vern

danny williams-all those lies-musical energy

richard caiton -i like to get near you-up tight

bobby burn -i,m a dreamer-chant

the aspirations -you left me-peeches

mr lucky - born to love you-stardom

chico lamarr-what do you think i am-fuller

the dynamics-i,m a lonley man-dyna

eddie billups -ask my heart-peechtree

bobby kline -say somthing nice to me-mb

the springers- nothing,s to good for my baby-wale

arthur foy -love dreams-mls

chuck cockerham-have i the right-mala

ultimates-girl i,ve been trying to tell you-br-roma

the saints -i,ll let you slide-wigwam

natural impulse-she went away-natural impulse

gene chandler -without you here-curtom

robert tanner-sweet memories -megatone

before i sign out .don,t forget sat 3rd march 8 till 2am at the boat club .trentbridge nottingham the return of the union soul nights

with our very special guest Arthur Fenn

till then be good

Mick H

Mick you'd have got a 12 outta 10 for that spot

please play one like that next time you see me :thumbsup:

couldn't make it on Saturday, and I've been a right moody so and so for the last few days :thumbsup:

ok guys & dolls firstly a big thanks to maria & karen for inviting me to there first promotional adventure at thorne.a truly fantastic night from start to finish.maria has given her orders to post my playlist or i have to supply her guinness & straws for the next month.so here is what i remember for the two hour set

Shame I miss some free iron tablets, but can't thank you enough for all that typing. I'm familiar with most of it, but lately that Dynamics track is doin' it for me. If you ever get bored of it... :D

m

ps. I might be late with getting those photos up on our website - v.close cousins from Oz just dropped into London for a couple of days. This is turning out to be a great week!!!!!!!! :D

Source Advert