6 Million People Can't Be Wrong

Guest James Trouble

Guest James Trouble

A bit late with this, but I've only just had an unfortunate toe curling read of July's Manifesto over breakfast this morning.

Not only are we treated to The Right Honorable Ian Levine claiming to be the only operation in the "whole wide world" making new northern soul records (I almost spat my shredded wheat out), but he also claims to be doing something right because he has received 6 million hits on his Youtube videos, even though he has not sold enough copies of any of his CDs or records to cover the cost of pressing them.

How can the editorial team allow such delusional nonsense to be printed in their magazine under the title "a personal plea" with Levine begging and bullying readers to send him their £15?

Quite clearly he is not the only operation in the "whole wide world" producing new sounds that are accepted on the northern soul scene (BTW, a scene to which he has been nothing more than an annoying irreverence since the 1970s), Daptone, Kings Go Forth, Timmion are just three off the top of my head. But surely if he has received 6 million hits on his Youtube then those 6 million people must have rejected his work and not purchased the CDs or 45s?

6 million people can't be wrong, and "Running in Another Direction" is a very fitting title for his body of work because it's exactly what 6 million people have done after listening to it!!!!

Do I need to point out that he writes that if anyone even cares a fraction for his work then they must go and buy his CDs from Amazon (because no shops will stock them) then surely he must realise that no one does care, not one little bit? Everyone knows about his work and no one buys it. The only worrying thing is that Manifesto gives this abomination of an irrelevance column inches instead of focusing on the real and progressive soul scene in this country, Europe and the rest of the world.

As I moved onto my toast and glass of orange juice I wasn't expecting to have to digest yet more Levine hyper promo, page after page of it courtesy of Simon White.

How Manifesto allows this man to print words deriding the scene is beyond me. Mr White sings about how his buddy's CDs lift the listener outside of the "intolerant world of soul fundamentalists" before going on to to sing about how Levine paid homage to Northern Soul with his invention of High Energy gay disco music and how this shows Levine's true understanding of Northern Soul. I had to read that back three times to double check that I have not misread his words. High Energy is homage to Northern Soul and shows Levines understanding of the music.

I understand that his new recordings on his CDs have the same production techniques as he used in his High Energy work, but surely his new Northern Soul 2009 recordings pay homage to High Energy, not the other way around?

Has there ever been a more one sided, bullying review of a CD written? It tells the reader that if you truely care for real soul music then you must love this CD, and if you do not love the CD then you must be part of a narrow minded backward looking scene containing nothing more than "a bunch of old men dancing in their zimmer frames to forty five year old records that never change".

What a disgusting breakfast it's been.

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

• Replies 243
  • Views 21.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

A bit late with this, but I've only just had an unfortunate toe curling read of July's Manifesto over breakfast this morning.

Not only are we treated to The Right Honorable Ian Levine claiming to be the only operation in the "whole wide world" making new northern soul records (I almost spat my shredded wheat out), but he also claims to be doing something right because he has received 6 million hits on his Youtube videos, even though he has not sold enough copies of any of his CDs or records to cover the cost of pressing them.

How can the editorial team allow such delusional nonsense to be printed in their magazine under the title "a personal plea" with Levine begging and bullying readers to send him their £15?

Quite clearly he is not the only operation in the "whole wide world" producing new sounds that are accepted on the northern soul scene (BTW, a scene to which he has been nothing more than an annoying irreverence since the 1970s), Daptone, Kings Go Forth, Timmion are just three off the top of my head. But surely if he has received 6 million hits on his Youtube then those 6 million people must have rejected his work and not purchased the CDs or 45s?

6 million people can't be wrong, and "Running in Another Direction" is a very fitting title for his body of work because it's exactly what 6 million people have done after listening to it!!!!

Do I need to point out that he writes that if anyone even cares a fraction for his work then they must go and buy his CDs from Amazon (because no shops will stock them) then surely he must realise that no one does care, not one little bit? Everyone knows about his work and no one buys it. The only worrying thing is that Manifesto gives this abomination of an irrelevance column inches instead of focusing on the real and progressive soul scene in this country, Europe and the rest of the world.

As I moved onto my toast and glass of orange juice I wasn't expecting to have to digest yet more Levine hyper promo, page after page of it courtesy of Simon White.

How Manifesto allows this man to print words deriding the scene is beyond me. Mr White sings about how his buddy's CDs lift the listener outside of the "intolerant world of soul fundamentalists" before going on to to sing about how Levine paid homage to Northern Soul with his invention of High Energy gay disco music and how this shows Levine's true understanding of Northern Soul. I had to read that back three times to double check that I have not misread his words. High Energy is homage to Northern Soul and shows Levines understanding of the music.

I understand that his new recordings on his CDs have the same production techniques as he used in his High Energy work, but surely his new Northern Soul 2009 recordings pay homage to High Energy, not the other way around?

Has there ever been a more one sided, bullying review of a CD written? It tells the reader that if you truely care for real soul music then you must love this CD, and if you do not love the CD then you must be part of a narrow minded backward looking scene containing nothing more than "a bunch of old men dancing in their zimmer frames to forty five year old records that never change".

Try Porridge Oats next time James, there ain't nothing that can spoil them. Seems like the editors of Manifesto need to think more about what they are printing..see the thread regarding Tim Brown and Soul Sam from my old mate Denny Johnson here in Perth !! Don't let it get to ya mate, stay soulful. Tony T BONE. OZ. K.T.F.

Social source share

Today's conspiracy theory: James Trouble is really part of Ian Levine's publicity machine

PMSL...

James me ole mucker, once upon a time I had a pop at eating rice pudding and stewed prunes, you know what mate it was shyte, in fact to this day it was without qustion the worst tasting thing I've EVER eaten (be back in a mo I need to go and vomit) pheww thats better.

You know what mate when I walk pass prunes and rice pudding at Tescos I take no notice of them, I'd be a right twat if I kept buying and then eating stuff that makes me feel queezy, wouldn't I?

PD

Social source share

I think James is making a very good point re Manifesto's recent editorial policy that is probably going to be lost because people will only see it as part of their personal feud, I did read it and share his thoughts, I also think the editorial policy and standard of Steve Handbury's (who does look on here so its not a snide comment) interviews are sometimes quite woeful, not to mention the quality of proofreading needing upped dramatically,

Now people can talk about James and Ian or people can take his point and discuss Manifestos current position, because speaking to people recently the mag is alienating a lot of readers and I would suspect in danger of losing their current status.

I know Ian D has done a lot to help with this, and should say since Ian put a link to outside company doing subs mines has worked perfectly, but at the end of the day if they don't get the content right no amount of good admin is going to help them.

And yes I know we could write to Manifesto, I still have 3 unanswered emails re back issues so don't have a lot of faith in that route, so Mike if you are out there, it would be a shame to see a potentially good resource go the way of others.

Social source share

PMSL...

James me ole mucker, once upon a time I had a pop at eating rice pudding and stewed prunes, you know what mate it was shyte, in fact to this day it was without qustion the worst tasting thing I've EVER eaten (be back in a mo I need to go and vomit) pheww thats better.

You know what mate when I walk pass prunes and rice pudding at Tescos I take no notice of them, I'd be a right twat if I kept buying and then eating stuff that makes me feel queezy, wouldn't I?

PD

what a brilliant comparism paul........ prunes & levine....they both give you the shits

Social source share

Write to? You could write IT! As could several people on Soul Source. There's some very knowlegable people on here who could easily come up with something more digestible. Soul Source - the magazine.

That's an extremely good point. And this web site is a great place to trial the online version, not as a free for all forum but as a magazine section with selected and edited content.

Mike?

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

...and then there was a rush to buy that Manifesto issue, and up go the sales figures.

Very good, very good PRbiggrin.gif

Psmile.gif

And when is the next Soul Revolution event?g.gif

November 13th, 3 room allnighter in London :)

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

Guest Matt Male

I don't suppose someone could scan it and put it up so others can read what we are discussing?

... and Paul can come you come and teach analogy to my GCSE English classes because that was brilliant mate laugh.gif

Social source share

'Its the same old song....'

Having read this three times, I am a little baffled. What is the point of it? I am not picking up a sword on behalf of IAN LEVINE but this is rather dramatic isn't it? Come on for gods sake, LEVINE has been around for decades and the shape of his promotional machine and championing of his own releases has not altered since the 70's. Anybody who remembers the original advent of his productions knows that full well. So he brags up his own stuff, so what? Nobody is forced to buy it and in fact, reactions like this are ten times more likely to re-inforce his determination, but for some reason you dont seem to be able to realise that...

So what's new?

The bottom line on IAN LEVINE is the same as it always has been...He was responsible for bringing a shitload of great records to the scene and that is his major contribution. If you prefer, all the other stuff can be viewed as a sideshow. Whether you like it or not, you or any other contemporary DJ is extremely unlikely to come anywhere near unearthing a trove of sounds to match the quality of LEVINE'S original contributions. As such, why not just acknowledge that and take all this with a pinch of salt?

Surely you do not believe that there are any lifelong serious Soul fans out there who are going to be convinced by all this - unless they share his perspectives already that is....And if they do so, that is their democratic right. IAN LEVINE has been right about some things and wrong about a whole lot more but he has a right to his viewpoint, the same as the rest of us.

Wake up and smell the coffee. Don't just drink it.

Social source share

James, it serves you right for multi-tasking.

Eating and Reading at the same time.:laugh:

Edited by davetay
Social source share

Mere ignorant dancer that I am, I would not dare to take sides in the Trouble-Levine Hundred Years War, but I have often wondered if perhaps 5 million or so of those youtube Northern Soul hits are actually disappointed Verve fans.

No such thing Lee...its a label full of suprises.whistling

JAMES - Wouldn't you be better spending your time doing a critque on the Primer's thread?:wicked:

Social source share

Having read this three times, I am a little baffled. What is the point of it? I am not picking up a sword on behalf of IAN LEVINE but this is rather dramatic isn't it? Come on for gods sake, LEVINE has been around for decades and the shape of his promotional machine and championing of his own releases has not altered since the 70's. Anybody who remembers the original advent of his productions knows that full well. So he brags up his own stuff, so what? Nobody is forced to buy it and in fact, reactions like this are ten times more likely to re-inforce his determination, but for some reason you dont seem to be able to realise that...

So what's new?

The bottom line on IAN LEVINE is the same as it always has been...He was responsible for bringing a shitload of great records to the scene and that is his major contribution. If you prefer, all the other stuff can be viewed as a sideshow. Whether you like it or not, you or any other contemporary DJ is extremely unlikely to come anywhere near unearthing a trove of sounds to match the quality of LEVINE'S original contributions. As such, why not just acknowledge that and take all this with a pinch of salt?

Surely you do not believe that there are any lifelong serious Soul fans out there who are going to be convinced by all this - unless they share his perspectives already that is....And if they do so, that is their democratic right. IAN LEVINE has been right about some things and wrong about a whole lot more but he has a right to his viewpoint, the same as the rest of us.

I think I agree with this.

If I was making CD's I'd use any method I could to get the message out there. I haven't read the article but from what James said it is pretty standard stuff from Ian, he knows the circulation and he's tying to push his CD's. Whether this is to bring the world a whole new era of fantastic music or just to make a few quid is immateriel really. This is how he promotes his stuff and good luck to him.

I have been witness to Mr Levine's intense promotion techniques myself. When Jo, Martin & Myself were on RS's Jazz FM show, IL had purchased the first slot in every ad break to promote The Rocket Allniter. As we went into each ad break we started trying to mimic the whole thing. By the end of the show we were just about word perfect. I can't remember it now but it definitely started "I'm so excited !...." :laugh:

As for whether Manifesto's standards are slipping - has it ever been any good? I haven't seen a copy for about 5 years but if I remember it consisted of some not to be trusted record reviews, a couple of short & confused editorials from scene "names", some biased reviews of events written by interested parties, normally one really good article on an artist or label, a load of adverts for rubbish and records that had been sold and the centre spread of photos of people gurning and/or off their tits. I've got some old ones somewhere so I'll root about for them and see how accurate I am.

Cheers

Paul

Edited by paultp
Social source share

Guest James Trouble

No such thing Lee...its a label full of suprises.whistling.gif

JAMES - Wouldn't you be better spending your time doing a critque on the Primer's thread?wicked.gif

Nah, I've already upset Wrighty after I schooled him on it at The Bassment on Friday :D:wicked:

I'm off out for some lunch and a latte while I read of the Daily Star... (there'll likely be some more accurate and informative articles in there on the soul scene than I had in Manifesto over breakfast)

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

Guest Matt Male

I have been witness to Mr Levine's intense promotion techniques myself. When Jo, Martin & Myself were on RS's Jazz FM show, IL had purchased the first slot in every ad break to promote The Rocket Allniter. As we went into each ad break we started trying to mimic the whole thing. By the end of the show we were just about word perfect. I can't remember it now but it definitely started "I'm so excited !...." :laugh:

Cheers

Paul

Blimey i remember that show, i stumbled across it while in the kitchen one night, you were promoting TOS and played Gordon Keith and Big Don's Rebellion. Good stuff.

Social source share

Blimey i remember that show, i stumbled across it while in the kitchen one night, you were promoting TOS and played Gordon Keith and Big Don's Rebellion. Good stuff.

thumbsup.gif

I've still got the sound file somewhere, I'll try and find it and bung it up on refosoul (though it may be a realaudio file). posted after Mike had put up a link to it<>

I'll have a listen first tho, cos I'm sure I just talked rubbish. RS took the mick out of my Oliver Bush demo telling me the sound was much better on the issue. Other than that he was a very nice chap.

I still complain to Jo about her playing Big Don's Rebellion, I was still looking for a copy and after she played it on Jazz FM it trebled in price. :frusty2:

Anyway, gone off topic again :smile:

Edited by paultp
Social source share

Guest wrighty

I've already upset Wrighty after I schooled him on it at The Bassment

actually it was during the day we spoke about it i believe, thankfully i didnt hear you play it on friday as that would definitely have ruined my night whistling.gif

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

At last, another Ian Levine thread! my life's been sooo empty recentlymellow.gifph34r.gifph34r.gifph34r.gifph34r.gifph34r.gifdont ask me why but I just love this emoticon smile.gif

Looking through the stench of the Levine propaganda and any personal grudge I have against this bully, terrorist, wannabe gangster and all round distasteful character, I think this thread is as much about the weak editorial at Manifesto Magazine as it is with the bum licking sycophantic Levine endorsed reviews of the HiNRG tribute CDs.

Hadn't Levine's works already been reviewed a couple of issues ago? Why give even more column inches to them? And column inches written by an obviously bum licking sycophantic reviewer.

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

Guest Matt Male

At last, another Ian Levine thread! my life's been sooo empty recently

There's a Wigan Anniversay thread in Events as well thumbsup.gif

Time to put the kettle on and open a packet of biscuits methinks.

Social source share

And your post at the start of this thread is different to everything you're disgusted with HOW? You're doing the same thing here that you're complaining about.

Has there ever been a more one sided, bullying review of a Manifesto article?

Jayne.

Social source share

Manifesto is a lads mag James, as ive said before. It has never, represented the scene, just the interests of those who dominate it in the pursuit of a dollar!

Even , when the play toured, it got very little coverage, particularly on the second tour, because there was no way for them to make a fast buck out of it. In fact Be Cool they tried to stop the play (but thats another story!).

These guys want to own a scene that can't be owned ...they employ each other in a desperate attemp at self perpetuation. Look at Red Eye.....jokers taking pictures of each other, at each others events, that are covered by each other, in this hackneyed magazine....dont take it seriously because they take themselves seriously enough to compensate for all of us!

Paul-s

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Drew, if you have an opinion on Manifesto or on the biased reviews that it has given to Levine World PLC then please contribute.

However, if you have a problem with language used or a members conduct please post something in member feedback section, don't do it off topic on this thread.

Thanks

James

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

All i can say is I'm glad he did it in manifesto and not on here. I think i'll have got banned for my response!!

Personally, i think James t is thee man standing up to this so called soul fan...Seems to me He's used the Soul scene as it was and is now, ONLY to promote the world of self gratification that he loves to INdulge in.

king.gif whoops, is his crown slipping!

Social source share

I think James is making a very good point re Manifesto's recent editorial policy that is probably going to be lost because people will only see it as part of their personal feud, I did read it and share his thoughts, I also think the editorial policy and standard of Steve Handbury's (who does look on here so its not a snide comment) interviews are sometimes quite woeful, not to mention the quality of proofreading needing upped dramatically,

Now people can talk about James and Ian or people can take his point and discuss Manifestos current position, because speaking to people recently the mag is alienating a lot of readers and I would suspect in danger of losing their current status.

I know Ian D has done a lot to help with this, and should say since Ian put a link to outside company doing subs mines has worked perfectly, but at the end of the day if they don't get the content right no amount of good admin is going to help them.

And yes I know we could write to Manifesto, I still have 3 unanswered emails re back issues so don't have a lot of faith in that route, so Mike if you are out there, it would be a shame to see a potentially good resource go the way of others.

Hi jocko,

I take on board your comments. Yes, I visit this site on occasions. I;m not the worlds biggest fan of Internet forums but they serve a purpose. They may give me an update as to what is going on in the big wide world of northern soul, they may give me contacts. What they ultimately give me is a negativity towards the scene that we all love. Why is it that the UK in general has to pull down something that is positive. The magazine itself is a positive input to the scene, even if you dont agree with the content. Please respond via a letter or an article. Why take issue with Levine's input, he alone has a vision where he would like to see the scene going, it may be personal but is self funded and as such, he puts his business, home and future at risk. This is a man who has been, is and will always be committed to the scene. If people don't share his views, then so be it although he may attract a needed new audience to keep the scene alive, something much needed within any underground scene. Every so often an undergrtound scene goes overground, generating new interest. When the fashion side of things subsides, a few devotees are left and become part of the underground scene, prologing the longivity of said scene, whether it be northern, funk soul Motown or Rock and Roll.

What concerns me, on a personal level is your assault on the content and spelling of the interviews. I consider myself articulate but please correct me if I am wrong. Spelling mistakes do get through the net. I am not a typist although I do check everything before submission. I'm sure there are spelling mistake in this text, I'll let you pick them out. I have a catalogue of contavts for interviews and, politely put this to you. I'll let you have phone numbers of artists as yet to be interviewed. Can you spare at least an hour per interview? Can you record said interveiw and transcribe it to fit in with magazine deadlines, some of which may be very tight. Bearing in mind the short notice, can you get together the notes you need for said interview, bearing in mind it may be someone you know nothing about. Most of all, are you prepared to do research, pay for and conduct the interview, listen to and tyoe up after much rewinding and editing, said interview. If your answer is yes, the please step in and take my place. I have a day job. I have a radio show which I put together, all of which take time. Seriously, if you can take this on and guarantee that you will get copy in on time and of relevence to the issue, then please step in. I have been writing for the magazine for a long time now and would be happy to hand over the cap. Do you want to wear that cap?

Social source share

This is a man who has been, is and will always be committed to the scene.

Sorry Steve, that is completely inaccurate. Ian Levine paid no attention to the Northern scene for years, and only returned, in much the same way he returned to SS, when he had something to sell. Nothing essentially wrong in that, but please don't say he has always been committed to the scene when he patently hasn't

Social source share

Guest Catfish

I have been witness to Mr Levine's intense promotion techniques myself. When Jo, Martin & Myself were on RS's Jazz FM show, IL had purchased the first slot in every ad break to promote The Rocket Allniter. As we went into each ad break we started trying to mimic the whole thing. By the end of the show we were just about word perfect. I can't remember it now but it definitely started "I'm so excited !...." laugh.gif

Cheers

Paul

Haha, thanks for reminding me of that ad, yes it was excruciating after the 20th time or so wasn't it? Think that was about 10 years ago and yes I can still remember it too. Problem with over-hyped promotion like that is that people are almost certain to be disappointed as their expectations are not managed correctly. Really busy first night wasn't it, then died a death after a couple of goes and was taken over by the same team that still does Xfire. Of course it was the only place where you could hear Levine's quite authentic-sounding 'wrong side of town' thingy, but I was disappointed he didn't play more disco.

Yes better to do tasteful stylish ads that just say what is going to happen and then let the event speak for itself and perpetuate not burn itself out into dyspnoeic insignificance overnight. There is no substitute for originality/ quality music .. good venue and personalities are part, not all. Like his swirly lights video effects or some 'shock' modern art videos, hyped-up stunt publicity has a short shelf-life.

Social source share

Guest rasfoz

Sorry Steve, that is completely inaccurate. Ian Levine paid no attention to the Northern scene for years, and only returned, in much the same way he returned to SS, when he had something to sell. Nothing essentially wrong in that, but please don't say he has always been committed to the scene when he patently hasn't

Funny that i was going to mention the same thing but mr rimmer beat me to the punch yes.gif

Social source share

Guest Catfish

Hi jocko,

I take on board your comments. Yes, I visit this site on occasions. I;m not the worlds biggest fan of Internet forums but they serve a purpose. They may give me an update as to what is going on in the big wide world of northern soul, they may give me contacts. What they ultimately give me is a negativity towards the scene that we all love. Why is it that the UK in general has to pull down something that is positive. The magazine itself is a positive input to the scene, even if you dont agree with the content. Please respond via a letter or an article. Why take issue with Levine's input, he alone has a vision where he would like to see the scene going, it may be personal but is self funded and as such, he puts his business, home and future at risk. This is a man who has been, is and will always be committed to the scene. If people don't share his views, then so be it although he may attract a needed new audience to keep the scene alive, something much needed within any underground scene. Every so often an undergrtound scene goes overground, generating new interest. When the fashion side of things subsides, a few devotees are left and become part of the underground scene, prologing the longivity of said scene, whether it be northern, funk soul Motown or Rock and Roll.

What concerns me, on a personal level is your assault on the content and spelling of the interviews. I consider myself articulate but please correct me if I am wrong. Spelling mistakes do get through the net. I am not a typist although I do check everything before submission. I'm sure there are spelling mistake in this text, I'll let you pick them out. I have a catalogue of contavts for interviews and, politely put this to you. I'll let you have phone numbers of artists as yet to be interviewed. Can you spare at least an hour per interview? Can you record said interveiw and transcribe it to fit in with magazine deadlines, some of which may be very tight. Bearing in mind the short notice, can you get together the notes you need for said interview, bearing in mind it may be someone you know nothing about. Most of all, are you prepared to do research, pay for and conduct the interview, listen to and tyoe up after much rewinding and editing, said interview. If your answer is yes, the please step in and take my place. I have a day job. I have a radio show which I put together, all of which take time. Seriously, if you can take this on and guarantee that you will get copy in on time and of relevence to the issue, then please step in. I have been writing for the magazine for a long time now and would be happy to hand over the cap. Do you want to wear that cap?

The 6 mistakes challenge; here goes:

1) Semi-colon in 'I'm' should be a possessive apostrophe as shown.

2) "... as to what is going on in the big wide world of northern soul, they may give me contacts". Should either have an 'or' inserted, or use a semi-colon (slightly different meaning; implies a progression of thought rather than an alternative)

3) 'a negativity'.... negativity being a state of being, I think that's an adjective rather than a noun and therefore the 'a' is not correct.

4) 'Why is is that in the U.K... etc..' : question mark missing.

5) 'Why take issue with Levine's input'... etc. query missing again.

6) Same sentence, use of commas instead of semi-colons or new sentences

7) Longevity not 'longivity'.

8) comma req'd between 'funk' and 'soul'.

9) 'Spelling mistake' should be plural.

10) then 'I'll let you pick them out' has a comma before it used as a semi-colon again.

11) 'Can you record said interview..' etc. interview spelt 'interveiw' is incorrect, also needs question mark at end of sentence starting 'can you record?'.

12) Plethora of missing question marks towards end of post.

13) 'type up' spelt wrong.

I can meet deadlines, type fast and used to do interviews (of a different sort ) for a living. Whe I lived in London I used to have the editor of letters page for the Evening Standard phone me and ask me to write letters in response to specific articles on demand (mostly on environmental issues). Sometimes it was stuff I had no opinion on so I had to research it and play devil's advocate. I have a full-time job myself, part of which is writing stuff for the public, but I'd love to help out if I can smile.gif. It would be fun to be able to write for a reading age above 8!

Sorry, I guess you weren't expecting that sort of reply. I did read the thread. thumbsup.gif Apologies if I'm out of line here; anyway I hope I found the mistakes correctly. Guess I'd better get some copies of 'Manifesto' to gain a feel of the style of the publication.

Edited by Catfish
Social source share

Hi jocko,

Well I caught about 20 mistakes there Steve! laugh.gif

I would have highlighted them but I can't figure out how to do that LOL.....

The fact of the matter is that it's not easy to to get a magazine out 10 months a year with amateurs, 'cos that's what we are for the most part. I think I'm correct in saying that all contributors contribute their articles for free and, whether you like them or not, a substantial body of work has built up over the last 15 years. I take your point about interviews as well, in that you very seldom get the artist for a decent session under perfect circumstances.

However, if anyone would like to have a crack @ contributing, then I'll personally make sure that any submitted articles will get to Mike Ritson for consideration. He calls the shots as I said before.

In the meantime, if anyone can keep a magazine going for 15 years under such challenging circumstances then I'd say good luck to 'em. Have a crack. It ain't that easy........plus I think you'll find that over the years plenty of people have received coverage so I guess it all averages out in the end.........

Cover Artist Issue #FeaturesDate 1 Marvin Gaye2Stafford/Dave Thorley/The Ritz/Pep On The CatacombsSep-94Edwin Starr3Edwin Starr/Dave Evison/Va-Va'sMar-95Mary Wilson4Wigan Casino/Kev Roberts Story/Pete McKennaJun-95Betty Wight5The Lou Johnson Story/Pete McKennaSep-95 6 Gil Scott-Heron7Chris King/Blackpool MeccaMar-96The Isley Brothers8The Isley Brothers/Bob Hinsley/Torch RevivalJun-96Bobby Womack9Pat Brady/Kev Roberts/The Plaza Ballroom 69-72Sep-96Esther Phillips10Esther Phillips/Ginger Taylor/Soul Essence 8Dec-96Baby Washington11Baby Washington/Ady Croasdell/Koln WeekenderMar-97 12 Chuck Jackson13Chuck Jackson/Richard Searling/Dave Godin LetterAug-97 14 Brenda Holloway15Brenda Holloway/Kim Weston/Jackie Wilson/Dave McCaddenJan-98Ronnie McNeir16Ronnie McNeir/Chris Burton/Modern GuideMar-98Al Wilson17Al Wilson/Ian Levine Pt 1/Mick Lyons/Pat BradyMay-98Terry Callier18Terry Callier/Ian Levine Pt 2/Steve Guarnori/In Memory OfAug-98The Elgins19Ian Levine Pt 3/Terry Callier Interview/Idell KamiliOct-98Pat Lewis20Sam Dees/The Flirtations/Bub Tribute/A Year In The LifeJan-99Earl Van Dyke21Earl Van Dyke/Northern Soul In Australia/John Vincent/Readers LettersApr-99Frank Wilson22Frank Wilson/The Dells/Yate/Edwin Starr/Eddie Holman LiveJun-99The Dells23The Dells/Bobby Hutton/Cleethorpes 6T's Weekender/T.C. TributeAug-99Barbara Lynn24Barbara Lynn/Bobby Paris/ThorneOct-99Marcia Hines25Butch Interview/Marcia Hines/Fish/Australia National Soul WeekendDec-99Carolyn Crawford26Jimmy Ruffin/Paul Weller/Soul In The Sun/JJ Barnes/Steve Mancha Feb-00Willie Tee27Willie Tee/The German Scene/Fish/Cybersoul/Colin BrownMay-00The Temptations28The Temptations/Cleethorpes 2000/Cassidy's/Colin BrownJul-00Aretha Franklin29Martha Reeves/Ray Gee Hemmings/Joe BoyScooter MagazineOct-00 30 Sidney Barnes31Sidney Barnes/J.J. Barnes/Drizabone/Guy HenniganMay-01Beverlei Brown32Beverlei Brown/Sidney Barnes/Lamar Thomas/John Manship/Sam MooreAug-01Gen Chandler33Gene Chandler/Angela Johnson/Baby Lee/John Manship Interview Pt 2Oct-01Ali Ollie Woodson34James Conwell/Dennis Taylor/Shabazz/Kloud 9/Togetherness 2001Dec-01Ray Pollard35Soul Sam/Ray Pollard/Tony Middleton/Snake DavisFeb-02D-Influence36Dome Records/D-Infuence/Freda Payne/Betty LavetteApr-02Dennis Coffey37Dennis Coffey/The Pendulum/Keb Darge InterviewJun-02Floyd Taylor38Southern Soul Special/Malaco Records/Richard Searling/LedisiAug-02Phillip Mitchell39Phillip Mitchell/Gary Des-Etages/Lou Ragland/Donna GardierOct-02Bunny Sigler40Bunny Sigler/Maxine Brown/Andreus/Peggi Blu/TashanDec-02Ann Nesby41Ann NesbyJohnny Sayles Tribute/Tim Brown/Eddie HubbardFeb-03Incognito42Incognito/Detroit/Steve Guarnori/Sidney Barnes/Fleetwood ReviewApr-03Kenny Thomas43Kenny Thomas/Willie Hutch/Dave Godin/Ralph Tee/Brenda ThomasJun-03Ruby Andrews44Ruby Andrews/Randy Cozens Tribute/Steve Guarnori/Daddy BonesAug-03Marvin Smith45Marvin Smith/John Manship/Bob Jones/Daddy Bones/Soul SamOct-03Dennis Taylor46Dennis Taylor/New Jersey Soul Summit/Tony Drake/Lisa TerryNov-03Gary Des-Etage47Gary Des-Etage/Marlon Saunders/Blaze/Best Of 2003Dec-03Impromp248Impromp2/Howard Tate/Prestatyn Review 04/Perth 03/N'DambiFeb-04Melvin Davis49Melvin Davis/Rosie Gaines/Bluey/Daddy Bones/Keith RylattMar-04Baby Washington50Prestatyn Review/Cody Black/James Bell/Melvin Davis/Mtume & LucasApr-04Rahsaan Patterson51Rahsaan Patterson/Vanessa Freeman/Bill Bush/Eddie HubbardMay-04Alyson Wiliams52Alyson Williams/Jarrard AnthonyBob Jones/Shinehead/Lou PrideJul-04Bobby & Steve53Bobby & Steve/Bluey/Stephanie Mills/Byron Woods/Soul SamAug-0460's Dancers546T's 25th Anniversary/Soul Sam/Pete McKenna/Bob Jones/Simon WhiteSep-04Avani55Avani/Cooly's Hot Box/Real Side Records/Soul Function/Herman HitsonOct-04Garland Green56Garland Green/Archie Bell/Gwedolyn Joy/Dave Godin TributeNov-04Ola Onabule57One Onabule/2004 Review/Daddy Bones/Tim Brown/Soul SamJan-05Loleatta Holloway58Soul Sam/Tim Brown/Simon White/Keith Rylatt/Fish/Bob Jones EtcFeb-05Adriana Evans59Troy Keyes/Lorraine Chandler/Bah Samba/Soul Sam/Steve HandburyMar-05Bluey From Incognito60Troy Keyes/Prestatyn Review/Regular ContributorsApr-05 61Dave Thorley/Stafford/Regular ContributorsMay-05Sherlie Mathews62Soul Sam/Tim Brown/Simon White/Keith Rylatt/Fish/Bob Jones EtcJun-05 63George Duke/Sherlie Mathews/Aleaxander O'Neal/Regular ContributorsJul-05Gary Jenkins64Gary Jenkins/Judy Street/Soul Deep/Regular ContributorsAug-05Chuck Jackson65Chuck Jackson/Dann Penn/Alexander Patton/Regular ContributorsSep-05William Bell66William Bell/Regular ContributorsOct-05Carleen Anderson67Carleen Anderson/Frankfurt Weekender/Regular ContributorsNov-05The Temptations68The Temptations/Hemsby Legends Of Motown/Regular ContributorsDec-06Brenda Holloway69Brenda Holloway/Chillifunk/Luxury Soul Weekend/Regular ContributorsFeb-06Martha Redbone70Martha Redbone/Inferno Records/Kim Weston/Soul Sam/Pete HaighMar-06Marvin Gaye71Marvin Gaye/Nolan Porter/Regular ContributorsApr-06The Masqueraders72Prestatyn Review/The MasqueradersDean Courtney/Doni BurdickMay-06Marva King73Marva King/Southport Weekender 06/Bob Jones/Soultrip USAJun-0674 Kenny Thomas75Kenny Thomas/George Duke/Little Peggy March/Northampton WeekendAug-06Billy Griffin76Billy Griffin/James Day/Down To Earth Records/Soul Sam/Tim BrownSep-06Conya Doss77Conya Doss/Bluey/Soul N' Surf/The Just Brothers/Soul Sam/Tim BrownOct-06Jocelyn Brown78Jocelyn Brown/Rosien Gaines/Lou Gossett Jr/Detroit/Prestatyn LegendsNov-06Roy Roberts79Roy Roberts/Detroit Pt 2/Soul Sam/Top 6 Track Of The YearDec/Jan-06Anthony David80Anthony David/The Andantes/Detroit Pt 3/Just Outside Of MemphisFeb-07Adriana Evans81Adriana Evans/Lord Large/Detroit Pt 4/Dee Dee Sharp/Colin CurtisMar-07Dee Dee Sharp82Little Anthony/Mikelyn Roderick/Steve Guarnori/Rob MossApr-07Gordon Chambers83Gordon Chambers/Melvin Davis/Prestatyn Report/Eric RobertsonMay-07Ebonye Alleyne84Joe Billingslea/King Records/Johnny Boy/Detroit Pt 6/Surf CityJun-07Mike Terry85Mike Terry/Ebony Alleyne/Donnie/The Impressions/Soul Sam/Tim BrownJul-07Karl Frierson86Karl Frierson/Ian Levine Pt 1/Detroit Pt 7/Regular ContributorsAug-07Agelo Starr87Angelo Starr/Ian Levine Pt 2/Soul Sam/Tim Brown/Simon WhiteSep-07Rahsaan Patterson88Rahsaan Patterson/James Taylor/Benny Troy/Detroit Pt 8/Bob JonesOct-0789The Stylistics90Herb Ward/Ollie McLaughlin/Just Outside Of MemphisDec/Jan-07 91 Reel People92Ronnie McNeir/Alexander O'Neal/Northern Soul In The Digital AgeMar-08The Impressions93Prestatyn Review/Conya Doss/The Story Of Tainted LoveApr-08Kloud 994Kloud 9/Gloria Jones Interview/SnowboyMotor City's Burning/NewquayMay-08The Supremes95Paul Weller/Andy Lewis/Incognito/Southport 42/I Love DetroitJun-08Sam & Dave96Preston Glass/The Impressions/Jihad Muhammad/DJ Meme InterviewJul-08 97 The Flirtations98The Flirtations/Brothers Of Soul/Don-E/Regular ContributorsSep-08Detroit Spinners99Detroit Spinners/The Flirtations Pt 2/Betty Pearce/Regular ContributorsOct-08100 Issue Montage100100 Anniversary Issue/Kim Weston/Jaki Graham/Cool Million/PrestatynNov-08 101 The Temptations102The Temptations On Tour/Motown 50th/Pearly Gates/Regular ContributorsFeb-09Leon Ware103Leon Ware/Motown In The 21st Century/Heston/Regular Contributors Mar-09Heston104Leon Ware Pt 2/Terry Jones/Java Jazz Festival/Regular ContributorsApr-09James Day105James Day/P.P. Arnold/The Magnetics/Regular ContributorsMay-09

This is a back-issue database which I'm trying to complete in the next 2 weeks before I start a new job so if anyone can fill in the few gaps I'd be most grateful. wink.gif

Ian D biggrin.gif

PS I can't work this system out! How do you post an excel file in a post?????

Edited by Ian Dewhirst
Social source share

Guest SoulRenaissance

So what's new?

That seems to be a very good point.

Never posted anything concerning Mr Levine before, but think of the plus things he brought us. Forget the rest, and leave it at that. I'm sure it's all been covered in other threads before, but not everything he did was shit. Just a hell of a lot of it.

Martyn

Social source share

Then the job is yours! Contact me for details. PM for me for a star if necessary. Job is yours but you must stick by it as I have done for the last 9 + years. Please confiirm that you will give it 100 percent commitment. Please also confirm that you have contact details for the future unterviews. Whatv is said subsequently is down to you.. I relenquish any responsiblility to the magazine after the September issue.

Social source share

The 6 mistakes challenge; here goes:

1) Semi-colon in 'I'm' should be a possessive apostrophe as shown.

2) "... as to what is going on in the big wide world of northern soul, they may give me contacts". Should either have an 'or' inserted, or use a semi-colon (slightly different meaning; implies a progression of thought rather than an alternative)

3) 'a negativity'.... negativity being a state of being, I think that's an adjective rather than a noun and therefore the 'a' is not correct.

4) 'Why is is that in the U.K... etc..' : question mark missing.

5) 'Why take issue with Levine's input'... etc. query missing again.

6) Same sentence, use of commas instead of semi-colons or new sentences

7) Longevity not 'longivity'.

8) comma req'd between 'funk' and 'soul'.

9) 'Spelling mistake' should be plural.

10) then 'I'll let you pick them out' has a comma before it used as a semi-colon again.

11) 'Can you record said interview..' etc. interview spelt 'interveiw' is incorrect, also needs question mark at end of sentence starting 'can you record?'.

12) Plethora of missing question marks towards end of post.

13) 'type up' spelt wrong.

I can meet deadlines, type fast and used to do interviews (of a different sort ) for a living. Whe I lived in London I used to have the editor of letters page for the Evening Standard phone me and ask me to write letters in response to specific articles on demand (mostly on environmental issues). Sometimes it was stuff I had no opinion on so I had to research it and play devil's advocate. I have a full-time job myself, part of which is writing stuff for the public, but I'd love to help out if I can smile.gif. It would be fun to be able to write for a reading age above 8!

Sorry, I guess you weren't expecting that sort of reply. I did read the thread. thumbsup.gif Apologies if I'm out of line here; anyway I hope I found the mistakes correctly. Guess I'd better get some copies of 'Manifesto' to gain a feel of the style of the publication.

You missed a few! A capital 'J' in Jocko for a start....... laugh.gif

I'd personally love for Mike Ritson to get a sub-editor to iron out some of the howlers. Fancy a none-paid job with lots of deadlines and very little appreciation then Catfish?

Ian D biggrin.gif

Social source share

Then the job is yours! Contact me for details. PM for me for a star if necessary. Job is yours but you must stick by it as I have done for the last 9 + years. Please confiirm that you will give it 100 percent commitment. Please also confirm that you have contact details for the future unterviews. Whatv is said subsequently is down to you.. I relenquish any responsiblility to the magazine after the September issue.

Plus I'm immersed in a new job from 1st September myself, so if ever there was a time to get some new contributors it's now folks. Anyone who's interested should PM Steve a.s.a.p.

Ian D biggrin.gif

Social source share

Guest SoulRenaissance

Well I caught about 20 mistakes there Steve! laugh.gif

I would have highlighted them but I can't figure out how to do that LOL.....

The fact of the matter is that it's not easy to to get a magazine out 10 months a year with amateurs, 'cos that's what we are for the most part. I think I'm correct in saying that all contributors contribute their articles for free and, whether you like them or not, a substantial body of work has built up over the last 15 years. I take your point about interviews as well, in that you very seldom get the artist for a decent session under perfect circumstances.

However, if anyone would like to have a crack @ contributing, then I'll personally make sure that any submitted articles will get to Mike Ritson for consideration. He calls the shots as I said before.

In the meantime, if anyone can keep a magazine going for 15 years under such challenging circumstances then I'd say good luck to 'em. Have a crack. It ain't that easy........plus I think you'll find that over the years plenty of people have received coverage so I guess it all averages out in the end.........

Cover Artist Issue #FeaturesDate 1 Marvin Gaye2Stafford/Dave Thorley/The Ritz/Pep On The CatacombsSep-94Edwin Starr3Edwin Starr/Dave Evison/Va-Va'sMar-95Mary Wilson4Wigan Casino/Kev Roberts Story/Pete McKennaJun-95Betty Wight5The Lou Johnson Story/Pete McKennaSep-95 6 Gil Scott-Heron7Chris King/Blackpool MeccaMar-96The Isley Brothers8The Isley Brothers/Bob Hinsley/Torch RevivalJun-96Bobby Womack9Pat Brady/Kev Roberts/The Plaza Ballroom 69-72Sep-96Esther Phillips10Esther Phillips/Ginger Taylor/Soul Essence 8Dec-96Baby Washington11Baby Washington/Ady Croasdell/Koln WeekenderMar-97 12 Chuck Jackson13Chuck Jackson/Richard Searling/Dave Godin LetterAug-97 14 Brenda Holloway15Brenda Holloway/Kim Weston/Jackie Wilson/Dave McCaddenJan-98Ronnie McNeir16Ronnie McNeir/Chris Burton/Modern GuideMar-98Al Wilson17Al Wilson/Ian Levine Pt 1/Mick Lyons/Pat BradyMay-98Terry Callier18Terry Callier/Ian Levine Pt 2/Steve Guarnori/In Memory OfAug-98The Elgins19Ian Levine Pt 3/Terry Callier Interview/Idell KamiliOct-98Pat Lewis20Sam Dees/The Flirtations/Bub Tribute/A Year In The LifeJan-99Earl Van Dyke21Earl Van Dyke/Northern Soul In Australia/John Vincent/Readers LettersApr-99Frank Wilson22Frank Wilson/The Dells/Yate/Edwin Starr/Eddie Holman LiveJun-99The Dells23The Dells/Bobby Hutton/Cleethorpes 6T's Weekender/T.C. TributeAug-99Barbara Lynn24Barbara Lynn/Bobby Paris/ThorneOct-99Marcia Hines25Butch Interview/Marcia Hines/Fish/Australia National Soul WeekendDec-99Carolyn Crawford26Jimmy Ruffin/Paul Weller/Soul In The Sun/JJ Barnes/Steve Mancha Feb-00Willie Tee27Willie Tee/The German Scene/Fish/Cybersoul/Colin BrownMay-00The Temptations28The Temptations/Cleethorpes 2000/Cassidy's/Colin BrownJul-00Aretha Franklin29Martha Reeves/Ray Gee Hemmings/Joe BoyScooter MagazineOct-00 30 Sidney Barnes31Sidney Barnes/J.J. Barnes/Drizabone/Guy HenniganMay-01Beverlei Brown32Beverlei Brown/Sidney Barnes/Lamar Thomas/John Manship/Sam MooreAug-01Gen Chandler33Gene Chandler/Angela Johnson/Baby Lee/John Manship Interview Pt 2Oct-01Ali Ollie Woodson34James Conwell/Dennis Taylor/Shabazz/Kloud 9/Togetherness 2001Dec-01Ray Pollard35Soul Sam/Ray Pollard/Tony Middleton/Snake DavisFeb-02D-Influence36Dome Records/D-Infuence/Freda Payne/Betty LavetteApr-02Dennis Coffey37Dennis Coffey/The Pendulum/Keb Darge InterviewJun-02Floyd Taylor38Southern Soul Special/Malaco Records/Richard Searling/LedisiAug-02Phillip Mitchell39Phillip Mitchell/Gary Des-Etages/Lou Ragland/Donna GardierOct-02Bunny Sigler40Bunny Sigler/Maxine Brown/Andreus/Peggi Blu/TashanDec-02Ann Nesby41Ann NesbyJohnny Sayles Tribute/Tim Brown/Eddie HubbardFeb-03Incognito42Incognito/Detroit/Steve Guarnori/Sidney Barnes/Fleetwood ReviewApr-03Kenny Thomas43Kenny Thomas/Willie Hutch/Dave Godin/Ralph Tee/Brenda ThomasJun-03Ruby Andrews44Ruby Andrews/Randy Cozens Tribute/Steve Guarnori/Daddy BonesAug-03Marvin Smith45Marvin Smith/John Manship/Bob Jones/Daddy Bones/Soul SamOct-03Dennis Taylor46Dennis Taylor/New Jersey Soul Summit/Tony Drake/Lisa TerryNov-03Gary Des-Etage47Gary Des-Etage/Marlon Saunders/Blaze/Best Of 2003Dec-03Impromp248Impromp2/Howard Tate/Prestatyn Review 04/Perth 03/N'DambiFeb-04Melvin Davis49Melvin Davis/Rosie Gaines/Bluey/Daddy Bones/Keith RylattMar-04Baby Washington50Prestatyn Review/Cody Black/James Bell/Melvin Davis/Mtume & LucasApr-04Rahsaan Patterson51Rahsaan Patterson/Vanessa Freeman/Bill Bush/Eddie HubbardMay-04Alyson Wiliams52Alyson Williams/Jarrard AnthonyBob Jones/Shinehead/Lou PrideJul-04Bobby & Steve53Bobby & Steve/Bluey/Stephanie Mills/Byron Woods/Soul SamAug-0460's Dancers546T's 25th Anniversary/Soul Sam/Pete McKenna/Bob Jones/Simon WhiteSep-04Avani55Avani/Cooly's Hot Box/Real Side Records/Soul Function/Herman HitsonOct-04Garland Green56Garland Green/Archie Bell/Gwedolyn Joy/Dave Godin TributeNov-04Ola Onabule57One Onabule/2004 Review/Daddy Bones/Tim Brown/Soul SamJan-05Loleatta Holloway58Soul Sam/Tim Brown/Simon White/Keith Rylatt/Fish/Bob Jones EtcFeb-05Adriana Evans59Troy Keyes/Lorraine Chandler/Bah Samba/Soul Sam/Steve HandburyMar-05Bluey From Incognito60Troy Keyes/Prestatyn Review/Regular ContributorsApr-05 61Dave Thorley/Stafford/Regular ContributorsMay-05Sherlie Mathews62Soul Sam/Tim Brown/Simon White/Keith Rylatt/Fish/Bob Jones EtcJun-05 63George Duke/Sherlie Mathews/Aleaxander O'Neal/Regular ContributorsJul-05Gary Jenkins64Gary Jenkins/Judy Street/Soul Deep/Regular ContributorsAug-05Chuck Jackson65Chuck Jackson/Dann Penn/Alexander Patton/Regular ContributorsSep-05William Bell66William Bell/Regular ContributorsOct-05Carleen Anderson67Carleen Anderson/Frankfurt Weekender/Regular ContributorsNov-05The Temptations68The Temptations/Hemsby Legends Of Motown/Regular ContributorsDec-06Brenda Holloway69Brenda Holloway/Chillifunk/Luxury Soul Weekend/Regular ContributorsFeb-06Martha Redbone70Martha Redbone/Inferno Records/Kim Weston/Soul Sam/Pete HaighMar-06Marvin Gaye71Marvin Gaye/Nolan Porter/Regular ContributorsApr-06The Masqueraders72Prestatyn Review/The MasqueradersDean Courtney/Doni BurdickMay-06Marva King73Marva King/Southport Weekender 06/Bob Jones/Soultrip USAJun-06 74 Kenny Thomas75Kenny Thomas/George Duke/Little Peggy March/Northampton WeekendAug-06Billy Griffin76Billy Griffin/James Day/Down To Earth Records/Soul Sam/Tim BrownSep-06Conya Doss77Conya Doss/Bluey/Soul N' Surf/The Just Brothers/Soul Sam/Tim BrownOct-06Jocelyn Brown78Jocelyn Brown/Rosien Gaines/Lou Gossett Jr/Detroit/Prestatyn LegendsNov-06Roy Roberts79Roy Roberts/Detroit Pt 2/Soul Sam/Top 6 Track Of The YearDec/Jan-06Anthony David80Anthony David/The Andantes/Detroit Pt 3/Just Outside Of MemphisFeb-07Adriana Evans81Adriana Evans/Lord Large/Detroit Pt 4/Dee Dee Sharp/Colin CurtisMar-07Dee Dee Sharp82Little Anthony/Mikelyn Roderick/Steve Guarnori/Rob MossApr-07Gordon Chambers83Gordon Chambers/Melvin Davis/Prestatyn Report/Eric RobertsonMay-07Ebonye Alleyne84Joe Billingslea/King Records/Johnny Boy/Detroit Pt 6/Surf CityJun-07Mike Terry85Mike Terry/Ebony Alleyne/Donnie/The Impressions/Soul Sam/Tim BrownJul-07Karl Frierson86Karl Frierson/Ian Levine Pt 1/Detroit Pt 7/Regular ContributorsAug-07Agelo Starr87Angelo Starr/Ian Levine Pt 2/Soul Sam/Tim Brown/Simon WhiteSep-07Rahsaan Patterson88Rahsaan Patterson/James Taylor/Benny Troy/Detroit Pt 8/Bob JonesOct-07 89 The Stylistics90Herb Ward/Ollie McLaughlin/Just Outside Of MemphisDec/Jan-07 91 Reel People92Ronnie McNeir/Alexander O'Neal/Northern Soul In The Digital AgeMar-08The Impressions93Prestatyn Review/Conya Doss/The Story Of Tainted LoveApr-08Kloud 994Kloud 9/Gloria Jones Interview/SnowboyMotor City's Burning/NewquayMay-08The Supremes95Paul Weller/Andy Lewis/Incognito/Southport 42/I Love DetroitJun-08Sam & Dave96Preston Glass/The Impressions/Jihad Muhammad/DJ Meme InterviewJul-08 97 The Flirtations98The Flirtations/Brothers Of Soul/Don-E/Regular ContributorsSep-08Detroit Spinners99Detroit Spinners/The Flirtations Pt 2/Betty Pearce/Regular ContributorsOct-08100 Issue Montage100100 Anniversary Issue/Kim Weston/Jaki Graham/Cool Million/PrestatynNov-08 101 The Temptations102The Temptations On Tour/Motown 50th/Pearly Gates/Regular ContributorsFeb-09Leon Ware103Leon Ware/Motown In The 21st Century/Heston/Regular Contributors Mar-09Heston104Leon Ware Pt 2/Terry Jones/Java Jazz Festival/Regular ContributorsApr-09James Day105James Day/P.P. Arnold/The Magnetics/Regular ContributorsMay-09

This is a back-issue database which I'm trying to complete in the next 2 weeks before I start a new job so if anyone can fill in the few gaps I'd be most grateful. wink.gif

Ian D biggrin.gif

PS I can't work this system out! How do you post an excel file in a post?????

Whilst people can pull down Manifesto or any other magazine/ enterprise they like, why don't they have a go? It seems the magazine is going through some longstanding problems, but why don't people give it a chance to address these problems before they slag it off?

I know they've probably tried to contact it through various avenues in the past, and got no joy. But with the inclusion of Ian D on the staff, at least give it a chance?

Being a magazine editor/ compiler myself of 13 years, i've had various problems of one sort or another. So can sympathise to a certain degree.

What do the critics want of a magazine though?

A bit of self publicity here. If they want record reviews, no bullshit articles, and a traditional A4 size grassroots fanzine. Why don't many of them buy Soul Renaissance? Cause i certainly don't get much business off Soul Source.

Martyn

Social source share

Manifesto is a lads mag James, as ive said before. It has never, represented the scene, just the interests of those who dominate it in the pursuit of a dollar!

Even , when the play toured, it got very little coverage, particularly on the second tour, because there was no way for them to make a fast buck out of it. In fact Be Cool they tried to stop the play (but thats another story!).

These guys want to own a scene that can't be owned ...they employ each other in a desperate attemp at self perpetuation. Look at Red Eye.....jokers taking pictures of each other, at each others events, that are covered by each other, in this hackneyed magazine....dont take it seriously because they take themselves seriously enough to compensate for all of us!

Paul-s

Do you know all the contributors then Paul? 'Cos you sure as shit don't know me, so I have no idea why you'd want to tar everybody with the same brush. You're so far wide of the mark it's laughable. Are you saying that Keith Rylatt, Rob Moss, Soul Sam and the literally hundreds of other contributors over the last 15 years 'have never represented the scene'?

Tosh! You must have an axe to grind with someone but don't generalise about some people who have given their whole lives to Northern Soul because that just makes you look like a prat.

Ian D biggrin.gif

Social source share